• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Would Americans fight for their homeland like Ukrainians? A recent poll is discouraging

Actually the US has been in the situation that Ukraine is in.

Of course, the US started the war which resulted in foreign troops (in appreciable numbers) actually counter-attacking into American territory. (And that was a war where all of the American grievances had been resolved before the US declared war and invaded the other country. [Well, OK, so the US government didn't know that the grievances had already been resolved until six weeks after it declared war, but the US didn't stop the war for another 18+ months.])

In that war, the American troops frequently refused to fight because their "enlistment contract" didn't require them to do so.

Does the above give you a clue?

Gee, it’s almost like the British Empire’s own stupidity and arrogance in abducting American citizens and infringing on American sovereignty as much as possible backfired in their face.....big time.

From the poll.

"8. If you were in the same position as Ukrainians are now, do you think
that you would stay and fight or leave the country?"

Not sure that I would have a choice.

The Ukrainians are <HORRIFIED-VOICE>NOT permitting "healthy, military age, Ukrainian, males" to leave the country</HORRIFIED-VOICE>.

<SARC>That's the type of left-wing fascist commie violation of the constitutional rights of those "healthy, military age, Ukrainian, males" that is repugnant to all freedom-loving Americans and the American government which has NEVER supported any repressive regime.</SARC>

That only happened because of a superior force being next door in what is Canada today and it was 200 freaking years ago....
In 1813, the estimated population of Canada was around 760,000 and the estimated population of the US was around 7,888,859.

Why you would think that a population that was approximately 9.63% of that of the US would constitute a "superior force" is rather beyond me.

During the War of Southern Aggression, the US military forces (including militia) available totaled around 500,012 and the British and Canadian forces totaled around 52,160 so the available British and Canadian forces amounted to around 10.43% of the available American forces.
Sorry but ain't happening in 2022 with Canada or from Mexico. And if you think that Putin would suprise the US by invading Alaska, then you got to tell what brand weed you smoking.
Of course it isn't happening in 2022. In fact, given the logistics involved, an actual invasion of the continental United States of America isn't ever going to happen - REGARDLESS of what the panic-mongers keep telling you.

In 1813, the estimated population of Canada was around 760,000 and the estimated population of the US was around 7,888,859.

Why you would think that a population that was approximately 9.63% of that of the US would constitute a "superior force" is rather beyond me.

During the War of Southern Aggression, the US military forces (including militia) available totaled around 500,012 and the British and Canadian forces totaled around 52,160 so the available British and Canadian forces amounted to around 10.43% of the available American forces.
You were fighting the British Empire... Enough said. The Iraq army was 3 times as large in 1990,and on home soil... But they were fighting the US and allies. Size does not always matter.

Of course it isn't happening in 2022. In fact, given the logistics involved, an actual invasion of the continental United States of America isn't ever going to happen - REGARDLESS of what the panic-mongers keep telling you.
Exactly so the question is ultimately stupid 😜

Are you kidding? The lefties here at DP are panty waste. I wouldn’t count on them for anything.
That was one off the polls results, being that the left would not fight. While those on the right would more likely take up arms.

You were fighting the British Empire... Enough said.
The War of Southern Imperialism was fought with the troops on hand.

The US troops on hand vastly outnumbered the British and Canadian troops on hand.
The Iraq army was 3 times as large in 1990,and on home soil... But they were fighting the US and allies. Size does not always matter.
You are quite correct. The British and Canadian troops on hand were vastly out numbered by the US troops on hand. Size most certainly did not matter.
Exactly so the question is ultimately stupid 😜
Not to those who do not realize that it is logistics that ultimately wins wars.

Some people won't even stand for the national anthem, I can't imagine them fighting for a country that treats minorities the way we do.

From the Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Like most Americans, I’ve spent the last few weeks contemplating the implications of Russia’s unprovoked invasion of Ukraine, including those that extend beyond ever-increasing gasoline prices and grocery bills.

As I was explaining to my inquisitive 6-year-old, war is, sadly, a perennial state of human existence.

This isn’t the first war of her lifetime, and no matter how much we strive for peace throughout the world, it won’t be the last.

But unlike the wars of the recent past — even those in which U.S. troops were committed — the fight in Ukraine feels closer to home.

The images and stories of ordinary men taking up arms, of women constructing Molotov cocktails in their town squares and of families resolutely hunkering down in defense of their nation are as terrifying as they are compelling.

They are hopeful, too.

They remind us that when their culture, freedoms and way of life are under assault, many people will risk and even lose their own lives to ensure their long-term survival.

What would we do in such circumstances? A recent Quinnipiac University poll posed that same question to Americans: Would you stay and fight or leave the country?
A bare majority, 55 percent, said they would stay and fight, while 38 percent said they would leave.

COMMENT:-
If the Fort Worth Star-Telegram wants money to read the article, you can read it HERE for free.​
Based on the poll, Republicans and Independents would likely stay and fight while Democrats would likely flee.

Screenshot_20220313-152803_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

The question for women should be: are they willing to fight if the nation does not protect their right to choose prior to fetal viability whether or not to continue a pregnancy?

As long as there is Roe v Wade, and even Planned Parenthood v Casey, you can count on me to the last breath and perhaps beyond. But you take away that fundamental right and as far as I'm concerned, the US has turned women into sex slaves. Why would you fight for slavemasters?

Back
Top Bottom