• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

World's New Tallest Building?

FluffyNinja

All Warm and Fuzzy
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
The Daily Mail reported today that Saudi Prince al-Walid bin Talal, one of the richest men on Earth, has unveiled plans to build a tower that will be 1 mile tall (5,280 feet) in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia - dubbed the Mile-High Tower.

This plan, recently revealed, raises all sorts of new questions,like:
1. Will the Saudis be able to accomplish it?
2. How will construction take place at these heights?
3. Is it ironic that it's being built by a Muslim nation ( who seem to be fond of condemning Americans for our "evil" capitalistic ventures)?
4. What's the real reason for undertaking such an immense project?
5. is this the new "Tower of Babel?" etc.
mile-high-tower.jpg

Here is a link to the full story:
Introducing the World’s Tallest Building: Mile-High Tower in Saudi Arabia | Real Estate Investing for Real Blog

I'd say that it's impossible.

I'd say that it's impossible.

That's kind of what I thought. I'm certainly no engineer, but a structure this tall would seem to have a great deal of instability? I'm sure someone with a more "technical" mind than me , like jfuh, will eventually chime in.:confused:

Of course it's impossible. Look at the source.
Perhaps the thread starter isn't au fait enough with British media to know that the Daily Mail is essentially a "shock 'em and scare 'em" comic?

It's also in the Huffington Post. here's the link:
Saudi Prince Plans Mile-High Tower In The Desert - Business on The Huffington Post

it's also in: The New York Daily News
Saudi prince reveals plans for Mile High Tower in Saudi desert town

The Australian:
Saudi mile-high tower plan raises bar | The Australian

and The Times: Online:
Savoy hotel chief, Prince al-Walid bin Talal, plans mile-high tower - Times Online

Need more references Urethra? Just Google it youself.

Last edited:
Why no Empire State Building?

Why no Empire State Building?
Quite a few are missing - WTC, Sears Tower, Taipei 101 all missing
Rather interesting though that even after what, 80 years? Empire state is still among the top 5 of the world's tallest - still the classiest as well.

Last edited:
Its a very warped list, reflects a certain world view that should have disappeared long ago.

Eurocentric. The inclusion, even in a British paper, of Canary Wharf, a building of no special distinction speaks volumes.

Eurocentric. The inclusion, even in a British paper, of Canary Wharf, a building of no special distinction speaks volumes.

I'm sure they included Canary Wharf simply as a point of reference for their reader base. However; I did wonder about the exclusion of American structures from the list.

I don't think so - like flufninja said I think it's just a point of reference for it's readers rather than any form or eurocentric mentality.

The Eiffel Tower serves that purpose. The inclusion of Canary Wharf is gratuitous and self-serving. The grandiosity that is England.

It's not impossible, but it is beyond our civilization's current technological capabilities. It probably can't be accomplished with steel, but carbon nanotubes are a different matter.

Give me a break. You people are seeing conspiricies and anti US stuff everywhere.

Look at the list by the Daily Mail..

Canary Warf. The local "high building". Need as a reference point for the LOCALS, AKA the Brits.

Eiffel Tower, a universal historcal landmark and another reference point.

Petronas Towers, the present tallest habitable building in the world EDIT: Incorrect.. seems Taipei 101 is taller. However Petronas Towers is more known I bet in the UK.

CN tower, tallest structure in the world

Dubai Tower, being built and when finished will replace both CN tower and Petronas Towers as the tallest habitable building and structure.

And finally the Mile High Tower.. projected, and the reason for the story.

And you are pissy that they did not put in an American building? Sears Tower and Empire State building are the only 2 that could remotely be put on the list, and of those 2 only the Empire State Building would have any meaning, as its a historical building. But then again to many readers of Daily Mail, the Empire State Building means nothing and is no reference. Canary Warf they can see if they want and going to Paris is a short train ride. So get over yourselfs gezz..and join the global village instead of some warped nationalistic fantasy world.

As for "no muslim nation bullshit".. Petronas Towers is in Malaysia.. a MUSLIM country. Dubai Towers, is in Dubai, which is in a MUSLIM country. So yes not only Americans can build high buildings.

Last edited:
PeteEU's huffy and defensive tone is proof positive that I was right in my analysis.

That's kind of what I thought. I'm certainly no engineer, but a structure this tall would seem to have a great deal of instability? I'm sure someone with a more "technical" mind than me , like jfuh, will eventually chime in.:confused:

It is a bit beyond belief at the present time, although it can probably be done. What about AFTER it is built. I doubt that it could withstand a substantial earthquake.

In the future, though, with nanotechnology, it would be a snap. Carbon tubes, reinforced with concrete, should easily be able to withstand it. This type of structure would be much stronger than even pure steel, at a fraction of the weight.

I wish the Saudis the best of luck with their proposed Mile High Tower. If built, it would certainly be a historic and monumental accomplishment. I would like to watch the tower as its being built.

And, of course, the big tall buildings make a great target for any invading forces. Of course, it would also be interesting to see it come tumbling down (although without loss of innocent victims).

I wonder if Osama will find a new target. Tall towers are vanity, something the Babylonians learned.

So the real question is ... What is he compensating for?

So the real question is ... What is he compensating for?

His anger for God giving women large caves and other holes in the ground. :mrgreen:

The reason the Saudi's wish to build this 1 Mile high or 1.6093 Kilometer building is really quite obvious.
They obviously have a desire to see actual launch of the Nuclear tipped rocket that the Iranians will fire at them.

The reason the Saudi's wish to build this 1 Mile high or 1.6093 Kilometer building is really quite obvious.
They obviously have a desire to see actual launch of the Nuclear tipped rocket that the Iranians will fire at them.
Really? I thought it had more to do with being closer to god and the promised 72 virgins :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom