• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Working on Thanksgiving and Christmas

I have never worked on Thanksgiving, nor Christmas...and I never will.

Gipper laughs at the little people.

Not everybody celebrates Christmas and some people have no family to share thanksgiving with . There are some stores ( some I cant speak on behalf of every store ) it is optional so not all workers are forced .

I've seen plenty of posts on Facebook, editorials, a few threads here, opining that retail clerks are getting a bum deal by opening stores on the holiday and that none of us should shop at those stores.

How about doctors, nurses, airline pilots, soldiers, cab drivers, waitstaff, gas stations, bartenders, food stores, cops, paramedics, pharmacies, plumbers, heating contractors, 911 operators, bus drivers, train operators, etc., etc., etc?

Why the war on retail??

Is unionization behind this constant war on WalMart and other retailers?

No, in my mind, it's not related to unionization. It's more related to Christian traditions.

I can remember a time, here in Toronto, when stores couldn't open on Sundays and you couldn't even have sporting events on a Sunday! There were also a whole lot of traditional and civic statutory holidays when stores couldn't be open. We've seen an erosion of this "tradition" over the last several decades as our society becomes more and more sectarian due to the multiplicity of religions and those with no religion in our country now.

I think those that you listed as "always" working on holidays were for the most part considered essential services or ones needed in emergencies. Retail was never in that category, but seems these days as more and more people need instant gratification and as more and more people don't know what to do with themselves if they have five minutes of unoccupied time, there's an increased demand for shopping as a distraction. Retail business has always pushed for this and when I was going through university I liked the opportunity of getting big bucks working holidays so it was never a big problem with me.

As long as there is so much unemployment and people working less and earning less, there will be people willing and able to work on holidays - from my perspective, we should give them that opportunity - but we shouldn't force people to work who don't want to, whatever the reason.

No, in my mind, it's not related to unionization. It's more related to Christian traditions.

I can remember a time, here in Toronto, when stores couldn't open on Sundays and you couldn't even have sporting events on a Sunday! There were also a whole lot of traditional and civic statutory holidays when stores couldn't be open. We've seen an erosion of this "tradition" over the last several decades as our society becomes more and more sectarian due to the multiplicity of religions and those with no religion in our country now.

I think those that you listed as "always" working on holidays were for the most part considered essential services or ones needed in emergencies. Retail was never in that category, but seems these days as more and more people need instant gratification and as more and more people don't know what to do with themselves if they have five minutes of unoccupied time, there's an increased demand for shopping as a distraction. Retail business has always pushed for this and when I was going through university I liked the opportunity of getting big bucks working holidays so it was never a big problem with me.

As long as there is so much unemployment and people working less and earning less, there will be people willing and able to work on holidays - from my perspective, we should give them that opportunity - but we shouldn't force people to work who don't want to, whatever the reason.

I can remember that too CJ, everything was closed on Sunday from where I grew up. That included not only the stores but restaurants and most gas stations. I am still trying to figure out why everybody also closed up early on Wednesdays either at noon or at 1pm.

I can remember that too CJ, everything was closed on Sunday from where I grew up. That included not only the stores but restaurants and most gas stations. I am still trying to figure out why everybody also closed up early on Wednesdays either at noon or at 1pm.

Good afternoon Pero - the Wednesday one is a stumper for me - unless you mean Ash Wednesday, but that's a strickly Catholic day, I think.

Because it's purely a greed thing. Those stores do not have to be open on Thanksgiving, they choose to be because their corporate leaders want to make more money. They are not providing any services, they are not helping anyone, they are not saving lives, they are simply operating for greed on a day traditionally set aside for family time.

"Black Friday" was/is stupid. Opening stores at 6 am was stupid enough. But to now take people away from their families simply so you can make your money a day earlier is beyond absurd and every person who goes shopping for "Black Friday" sales should be ashamed of themselves. Ignoring the gross hypocrisy of a shopper committing one of the most cardinal sins (greed) in preparation for the celebration of the birth of Jesus, it just strikes me as sad so many people are so desperate to save money on gifts they give to "loved ones".

Not for me. For me, it's the fact they are taking people away from their families, simply so they can make more money on top of one of the busiest days of the year. I worked several Black Fridays (back when it was just Friday) and it never ceased to amaze me how many stupid people there are who go shopping that morning.

I think it's really market driven more than greed. If the competition is open and you are not they are going to get a bigger market share. It's not the businesses that drive it as much as it is the shoppers. I hear people complain about the crowds, yet they keep going shopping on the holidays. I don't, but some folks seem to enjoy it. I can tell you that for my business (auto repair) this is typically a slow week because people are more focused on shopping than having their car fixed. But I do get some last minute people in, I've done a thousand dollars so far today, so this is a good day for this time of year.

Now, from the employer side, I work these days alone. One of my part time guys owns a garage door business and my place is his filler. He works here around his own schedule. He left Saturday for their big family trip and won't be back 'til Monday. I don't compensate him. My office manager is full time and salaried. She is 60 years old and is currently battling a respiratory infection, she will get a 4 day paid holiday. My wife is working Friday at the hospital, I will be working that day alone. Normally Jenny and I just talk about it, see what kind of plans she has and take it from there. She is having Thanksgiving locally Thursday and offered to come in Friday, given her illness I pressed the point so she is not coming in. I know, what an asshole boss, right? :roll:

Now back when I was working for other people I was that guy who volunteered for holiday work and the 1 1/2 or double time. I was disappointed to not see as much of that in this discussion. I remember a couple of times that some of us who WANTED to work the holidays were turned down because there were more volunteers than needed. Sly, you recently informed me that I was old and 20 somethings today were NOT different and it was me who had changed. Maybe so, but I'm not seeing as many people looking at holiday work as a plus. Of course my willingness to be open Friday might look like greed, what it really is is an opportunity for me to have a relatively slow day to try to complete an engine swap without being side tracked.

Last edited:
Good afternoon Pero - the Wednesday one is a stumper for me - unless you mean Ash Wednesday, but that's a strickly Catholic day, I think.

this was every Wednesday down here in Georgia.

But they can go shopping the very next day, and nothing is lost.

I didn't look too closely at your list, but from most of the things I saw, your list was compromised of essential services and/or people who make those services possible. Going shopping for discounts can be done 12 hours later and nothing of value is lost.

And for many of the people who are being ripped from their families because they need the job, that group shopping trip is infuriating.

Says the person who is supporting thousands of people being taken from their families on a traditional family day...

I'm not controlling anyone's lives. Being against Thanksgiving store openings does not mean those people cannot do a large variety of other things. They're welcome to watch football, spend time with family, go for a drive, take a walk, sing Christmas carols, put together a puzzle, read, etc. But those employees being forced to work ARE having their lives controlled. They either come in for work or they lose their job. THAT'S controlling the lives of others, and it's being done solely in the name of greed.

I agree completely. That's my point. It's totally about greed, which is the difference between retails stores and many of the other things you mentioned.

I was looking for somewhere to put this commentary. You became the choice.

Is there some particular reason people are so unable to manage they have to wait until Thanksgiving till December to rush about shop, shop, shopping? Are people so lacking in knowledge of the individuals to whom they may give gifts they cannot start early? There are sales all year long. Do you truly think they are better in November and December? It may be arrogant bragging; however, 80% of mine was completed by August and is wrapped.

this was every Wednesday down here in Georgia.

A lot of medical and legal office in my area close half day on Wednesday for golf. Wednesdays are THE golf day for men, even more so than weekends. The ones that do not close on Wednesday, usually are closed on Fridays for the perpetual 3-day weekend.

Is there some particular reason people are so unable to manage they have to wait until Thanksgiving till December to rush about shop, shop, shopping? Are people so lacking in knowledge of the individuals to whom they may give gifts they cannot start early? There are sales all year long. Do you truly think they are better in November and December? It may be arrogant bragging; however, 80% of mine was completed by August and is wrapped.

Sure they have sales all year, but the best sales are typically in the last month of the year or at end of season. As a parent, I know it is hard to toy shop unless you wait until then because whatever toy a kid wants in July they might not want by Christmas.

That's strange - never heard of such a thing.

Not being serious, but did the Klan meet on Wednesday afternoons? :shock:

I haven't the faintest idea (LOL), but we did have Wednesday Night Church Services. Since I was a kid I always thought that had something to do with it. But even the old, old, old timers I talk to could never give me an answer.

Look, retailers' entire year's profitability depends on Christmas shopping -- from Thanksgiving to Christmas. This year, there's a full week's less shopping between those days. Seems like a good ole' college try to make lemonade out of lemons for 2013.

And do you know most people are forced to work? Do you know that most people don't get extra pay? I'd say you don't. I'll tell you one thing (as a former waitress) -- waitstaff make out like bandits.

Do you run out for last minute items on Thanksgiving Day?? Those grocery stores are open for a reason. Why can't you effectively plan ahead??

I posted as a reply to someone else.

Does having 80% of my shopping completed and wrapped count as "effectively" planning ahead? I truly fail to understand why people saint until November through December to accomplish what could be accomplished throughout the year. establishments have sales all year long.

A lot of medical and legal office in my area close half day on Wednesday for golf. Wednesdays are THE golf day for men, even more so than weekends. The ones that do not close on Wednesday, usually are closed on Fridays for the perpetual 3-day weekend.

Heck, we had no golf course or courses anywhere nearby. Friday was always a full days work along with Saturday. Off time was Wednesday afternoon and Sundays. Perhaps it is just a quirk for where I grew up.

:idea:
Hmm...if that's the standard then where do I go for a spare crock pot on thanksgiving day when I suddenly realize that I didn't plan everything out? What if my TV goes out? What if I need more folding chairs?

What if I just plain WANT to go shopping!?

Because the "spare crockpot" literally has me guffawing and my perverse sense of humor is at work, I have an extra crockpot I will not need. Should I overnight it?:lol:

:idea:

Because the "spare crockpot" literally has me guffawing and my perverse sense of humor is at work, I have an extra crockpot I will not need. Should I overnight it?:lol:

The only reason that came to mind is that over the weekend I discovered that I'm coming up one short. I appreciate the offer but I think I've got it covered.:lol:

Wednesday evening church services, choir practice and youth groups.

Wednesday evening church services, choir practice and youth groups.

Very well likely. I did a google and found out a lot of towns closed up on Wednesday's afternoons. Mine wasn't the only one.

That's strange - never heard of such a thing.

Not being serious, but did the Klan meet on Wednesday afternoons? :shock:

Wednesday was and continues to be midweek church services, choir practice and youth group evening.

I think it's really market driven more than greed. If the competition is open and you are not they are going to get a bigger market share.
But if none of them are open, it won't matter.

It's not the businesses that drive it as much as it is the shoppers.
The businesses don't have to be open. They can have their Black Friday specials on Friday.

Sly, you recently informed me that I was old and 20 somethings today were NOT different and it was me who had changed. Maybe so, but I'm not seeing as many people looking at holiday work as a plus.
Stores didn't use to be open on holidays, at least not the major ones.

I'm honored.

Preaching to the choir. Outside of just a couple gifts, I'm finished. And I did it during regular store times and hours.

Sure they have sales all year, but the best sales are typically in the last month of the year or at end of season. As a parent, I know it is hard to toy shop unless you wait until then because whatever toy a kid wants in July they might not want by Christmas.

I absolutely understand the toy topic. In fact, my 25% left to accomplish are toys for my "little people" relatives and two January birthdays.

Having said that there are many sales during the year where items already marked down can have an additional percentage off which brings it to an equal percentage to end of the year.

But if none of them are open, it won't matter.

The businesses don't have to be open. They can have their Black Friday specials on Friday.

Stores didn't use to be open on holidays, at least not the major ones.

I'm honored.

Preaching to the choir. Outside of just a couple gifts, I'm finished. And I did it during regular store times and hours.

I did forget to put one thing in. It is only fair to say some people do have to wait until October or November if they belong to a Christmas Savings Club. They do not receive their funds until October.

I posted as a reply to someone else.

Does having 80% of my shopping completed and wrapped count as "effectively" planning ahead? I truly fail to understand why people saint until November through December to accomplish what could be accomplished throughout the year. establishments have sales all year long.

I remember reading a joke once about a woman who was braggingly complaining about all the things she needed to do to get ready for Christmas, and just not having enough time to get everything done. One of her acquaintances finally said, "You poor dear-- didn't anybody think to tell you when Christmas is?" :giggle1:

Greetings, AuntiE. :2wave:

Heck, we had no golf course or courses anywhere nearby. Friday was always a full days work along with Saturday. Off time was Wednesday afternoon and Sundays. Perhaps it is just a quirk for where I grew up.

Apparently other places did it too. This article says it allowed businesses to go to the city to buy things to stock their shelves with. You must live in a small town not to have any golf nearby.

The Bullitt County History Museum - Memories

Apparently other places did it too. This article says it allowed businesses to go to the city to buy things to stock their shelves with. You must live in a small town not to have any golf nearby.

The Bullitt County History Museum - Memories

Yeah, we lived out in the country on a farm and the nearest town had maybe a 1,000 people if that. I remember as a kid riding my bike about a mile or two down our old country road to a place known as Oak Grove, Oak grove consisted of a small gas station with two hand cranked pumbs with a small grocery inside and post office boxes for us. I rode down there to pick up the mail. On the other side of the road was a Baptist Church, a Farm house was on one corner and a hog swallow on the other. That was Oak Grove and those post office boxes took care of 13 families. The school I went to, Madison Township had 49 kids in the whole high school 9-12th grade.

Back
Top Bottom