• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"woke" makes you "broke"

Ouroboros

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
While there have been a fair number of politically left theatrical films that made money, the recent failures of three major "woke-ified" franchises-- HARLEY QUINN, TERMINATOR DARK FATE and CHARLIE'S ANGELS-- makes me optimistic that in the next year or so Hollyweird will ease off on their attempts to brainwash the populace, at least as regards the #MeToo movement.

Granted, Hollyweird never forgets anything that ever makes money. But at times, when some movement proved hugely unprofitable, like most of the musical flicks of the sixties, the cash quits flowing for a while.

Crying about women and movies? Sad.

"they made the doctor a woman! Rabble rabble rabble!"

While there have been a fair number of politically left theatrical films that made money, the recent failures of three major "woke-ified" franchises-- HARLEY QUINN, TERMINATOR DARK FATE and CHARLIE'S ANGELS-- makes me optimistic that in the next year or so Hollyweird will ease off on their attempts to brainwash the populace, at least as regards the #MeToo movement.

Granted, Hollyweird never forgets anything that ever makes money. But at times, when some movement proved hugely unprofitable, like most of the musical flicks of the sixties, the cash quits flowing for a while.

I don't care a great deal about what Hollywood does. Harvey Weinstein produced Inglorious Bastards, and was later outed for being worse than the Nazis in his film. The moral integrity of Hollywood is nonexistent. But I was amused to see this story; Walker Texas Ranger now has a gay brother, and a female sidekick.

Beloved Chuck Norris show ‘Walker, Texas Ranger’ will get pro-LGBT reboot | Opinion | LifeSite

Naaaa. They are going to go in the other direction just to keep you awake at night. Look for re-make flicks but with female leads and female ensembles:

The Dirty Dozenettes

Jane Bond - Agent Double D 44

12 Angry Bitches

Dirty Harriet

Full Metal Jackie

A Few Good MILFs

Animal Housemother

The Good, the Bad and the Unattractive (but a sweet personality)

Saving Private Rhonda

No Country for Old Wimmens

National Tampoon Vacation

"they made the doctor a woman! Rabble rabble rabble!"

"Get woke, go broke" isn't an inevitability, but it certainly is becoming more and more common. Not only has Dr. Who been impacted, look at some of the Hollywood movies that have suffered in recent years because they got too "woke":

Birds of prey
What Men Want
The Hustle
Cats
Late Night
Charlie's angels
Long Shot
Terminator: Dark Fate
Star Wars
Book smart
Ghost Busters II

Then there's the companies that have taken big financial hits because they got too woke:

Starbucks
Gillette
Verizon
ESPN
EA
Silicon Valley startup companies
Salon.com
Vice.com
Mic.com

Even the Boyscouts who bent the knee to the SJW crowd ended up going down.

"Get woke, go broke" isn't an inevitability, but it certainly is becoming more and more common. Not only has Dr. Who been impacted, look at some of the Hollywood movies that have suffered in recent years because they got too "woke":

Birds of prey
What Men Want
The Hustle
Cats
Late Night
Charlie's angels
Long Shot
Star Wars
Book smart
Ghost Busters II

Then there's the companies that have taken big financial hits because they got too woke:

Starbucks
Gillette
Verizon
ESPN
EA
Salon.com
Vice.com
Mic.com

1. Doctor Who viewership jumped millions when they cast Jodie Whittaker.

2. I DO think it's stupid to take something that exists and "remake" it with a female lead. But I'm also not going to boycott it if the female lead works.

3. I think it's even stupider (and more) for anyone to get all worked up about "omg they're including more females!" I just wish they'd come up with new stories for strong female leads rather than being lazy and saying ok, we'll do the same movie, but with WOMEN!

That said, the fact that someone might boycott something because it included strong female role should never be a consideration in whether the thing should be made. It's an unfortunate comment on society if it is true people boycott for that reason alone. But from what I gathered, a lot of the remakes - like all remakes - simply sucked.

1. Doctor Who viewership jumped millions when they cast Jodie Whittaker.

2. I DO think it's stupid to take something that exists and "remake" it with a female lead. But I'm also not going to boycott it if the female lead works.

3. I think it's even stupider (and more) for anyone to get all worked up about "omg they're including more females!" I just wish they'd come up with new stories for strong female leads rather than being lazy and saying ok, we'll do the same movie, but with WOMEN!

That said, the fact that someone might boycott something because it included strong female role should never be a consideration in whether the thing should be made. It's an unfortunate comment on society if it is true people boycott for that reason alone. But from what I gathered, a lot of the remakes - like all remakes - simply sucked.

I don't think people in general give a damn about the female aspect. That is to say, people aren't going to boycott a movie based on how a woman is portrayed in it. I think that people are just getting tired of "woke-ness" getting shoved down their throats by Hollywood. Movie makers have become more focused on making sure that their films send what they believe to be the correct political/ideological message, rather than just making good, quality, entertaining films the way they used to. People recognize this and when they read online that a particular movie is pushing some political agenda or trying to score "woke-ness" points, many including myself just take a pass on it. I can't speak for everyone, but when I watch a Hollywood movie the last thing I want is to have some political or ideological message or lesson being attached to it. We have enough of that crap happening all around us in our every day lives to deal with through the MSM, social media, on our college campuses... I just want to escape all of that and just be entertained.

Personally I find it more annoying when they reboot franchises with females characters by simply taking preexisting male characters that are universally beloved...and then just making them female(a la "Ghostbusters"). No development, no innovation, no effort. It's just lazy. One instance of them doing it right was "Mad Max: Fury Road." They incorporated female characters and a female hero that was on equal footing with Max without being shoved in the audience's face. She was simply a kick ass, relatable character and she helped carry the movie effortlessly. If you want to reboot, then put some effort into it, that's all.

P.S., No one worth knowing is opposed to strong, female heroes on our screens. We had Ripley and Sarah, Buffy and Clarice, Leia and Scully long before a lot of us could drive. It's not a groundbreaking concept.

Awwww, look at you threatened by people trying to do the right thing and act responsibly.

Naaaa. They are going to go in the other direction just to keep you awake at night. Look for re-make flicks but with female leads and female ensembles:

The Dirty Dozenettes

Jane Bond - Agent Double D 44

12 Angry Bitches

Dirty Harriet

Full Metal Jackie

A Few Good MILFs

Animal Housemother

The Good, the Bad and the Unattractive (but a sweet personality)

Saving Private Rhonda

No Country for Old Wimmens

National Tampoon Vacation

A few more:

The Godmother 1 & 2
Citizen Jane
Goodfillies
Brittany Of Arabia
The Seven Housekeepers
The Deer Babysitter
The Lion Queen
Butch Mary and the Sundance Fem
Barbie Story
When Sally Met Harry
The Sound of Dishwashing

Birds of prey
What Men Want
The Hustle
Cats
Late Night
Charlie's angels
Long Shot
Star Wars
Book smart
Ghost Busters II

Starbucks
Gillette
Verizon
ESPN
EA
Salon.com
Vice.com
Mic.com

Agreed on most points, though, without seeing BOOK SMART, I have the impression that it wasn't explicitly a #MeToo response, but that it could've been produced in any post-nineties period.

I'm not against female renditions of male character-franchises in all instances. I wouldn't have minded the new CAPTAIN MARVEL franchise if the producers had adapted the comics-spinoff MS. MARVEL, who was a halfway interesting character, as opposed to the humorless block of wood they created. The truly"woke" films are the ones less interested in character than in virtue signaling, and that's what kills most of them at the B.O.

Maybe you could bankroll a few incel moves.

Ghost Busters II

You mean Ghostbusters 2016. That was bad for many reasons...not just the "woke" part.

Starbucks
Gillette
Verizon
ESPN
EA
Salon.com
Vice.com
Mic.com
Starbucks took hits mostly because they decided to make an open-bathroom policy, forcing their staff to have to clean up after junkies.
And you also forgot Target and their bathroom policy.

Maybe you could bankroll a few incel moves.

The opposite of "bad woke movies" is not "incel movies," no matter what progressives like to tell themselves.

I hadn't noticed this is in the Art and Entertainment sub-forum. That makes it all the more absurd. Why, in the title, is broke in quotation. Because it's pejorative and the quotes provide plausible deniability. The title is probably a nazi slogan meaning "if one is liberal on social issues then one is a broken person". "No tiki torch, no functioning brain."

I don't believe for a minute anyone cares about a couple crappy Hollywood movies.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom