• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will reality shows kill the t.v script writers

Some time ago there was a song about videos killing the radio star.

Today it seems like Reality shows are killing T.V. script writers.

Reality shows are done cheap there is no sets to speak of the actors get paid below good actor's wages and I don't think there is a script to Big Brother or American Idol or Survivor or the rest of these shows that some call entertainment.

As for me I thought T.V. was a way to escape from reality not a way to embrace more reality.

We as humans are surrounded by reality everyday, why should we want to watch more?:peace

Ladies and Gentlemen I await your views or comments.

meh...most of these so called "reality shows" are scripted to one degree or another.

Some time ago there was a song about videos killing the radio star.

Today it seems like Reality shows are killing T.V. script writers.

Reality shows are done cheap there is no sets to speak of the actors get paid below good actor's wages and I don't think there is a script to Big Brother or American Idol or Survivor or the rest of these shows that some call entertainment.

As for me I thought T.V. was a way to escape from reality not a way to embrace more reality.

We as humans are surrounded by reality everyday, why should we want to watch more?:peace

Ladies and Gentlemen I await your views or comments.

Y'know if there were fewer than the 100s of tv stations. But since stations that used to show nearly nothing but reruns and movies related to their genre, many now are putting out their own dramatic series, movies, and such. Now some do seem to mainly have 24/7 stupid reality shows, but I don't see the end of script writers. I would say though that regardless of type of show, editors probably have the safest job in the industry as they will be needed for both/all types of shows.

Reality shows aren't "reality." It's so obvious that everything is contrived so that every episode has some conflict needing resolution. Lotsa yelling and posing.

I was going to compare the trend to the old Roman Circus, but that would be doing a disservice to history. :)

So you can go to acting school work and research your presentation for years or you can just walk in off the street and star in a Reality T,V. show?:peace

meh...most of these so called "reality shows" are scripted to one degree or another.

Maybe but cheap is cheap no matter how you slice it.:peace

Y'know if there were fewer than the 100s of tv stations. But since stations that used to show nearly nothing but reruns and movies related to their genre, many now are putting out their own dramatic series, movies, and such. Now some do seem to mainly have 24/7 stupid reality shows, but I don't see the end of script writers. I would say though that regardless of type of show, editors probably have the safest job in the industry as they will be needed for both/all types of shows.

I agree as long as there is T.V. there will always be script writers and writers that set the story for script writers.

It is my belief that writers in today's society writers are overlooked," of course I could be a bit bias since I am trying to be writer ". lol

However if you stop to think the actor got famous doing a story written by a writer who had an idea, even the foundation of America "the Constitution" was written by a writer who had an idea..
So the big Hollywood stars you can keep them , just give me a chance on getting a book published or a script accepted, I'll be happy.:peace

IMO, the last 10 years have yielded the best tv series in history. Just look what HBO and AMC are doing.

On the other side, there is a massive amount of crap on mass audience channels, moreso than before.

My guess is that quality will increasingly shift to non-free tv sources, as most devoted fans of clever serialized stories are willing to pay for it, either by buying pay tv, dvds/blu rays or streaming services -- so that the free tv channels are increasingly going to focus on an unangaged audience that's just switching around and/or constantly have the set running no matter what's on.

IMO, the last 10 years have yielded the best tv series in history. Just look what HBO and AMC are doing.

On the other side, there is a massive amount of crap on mass audience channels, moreso than before.

My guess is that quality will increasingly shift to non-free tv sources, as most devoted fans of clever serialized stories are willing to pay for it, either by buying pay tv, dvds/blu rays or streaming services -- so that the free tv channels are increasingly going to focus on an unangaged audience that's just switching around and/or constantly have the set running no matter what's on.

Well, I predicted sometime ago that music channels on T.V. would become a factor it did.

However,growing up has a young lad when the words pay T.V. were spoken some ask how can one control the airwaves?
I thought they could, they did..

I agree with you pay T.V will have a shift in the future, I do not know how just yet but more money will be involved..

The only thing I see stopping it is public entertainment to use as a distraction away from economic problems when they become too bad.:peace

Well, I predicted sometime ago that music channels on T.V. would become a factor it did.

However,growing up has a young lad when the words pay T.V. were spoken some ask how can one control the airwaves?
I thought they could, they did..

I agree with you pay T.V will have a shift in the future, I do not know how just yet but more money will be involved..

The only thing I see stopping it is public entertainment to use as a distraction away from economic problems when they become too bad.:peace

Heya PS :2wave: .....it will shift to more like a Computer. Which now you see they are coming out with Smart TV's.

Heya PS :2wave: .....it will shift to more like a Computer. Which now you see they are coming out with Smart TV's.

Ah MMC, your post is always a welcome sight on my threads.

I turn my king over to you sir , for I can not lie,I never considered computers or smart T.V.'S I should have but did not.
I thank you sir and accept your king on this thread anyway. :peace.

Ah MMC, your post is always a welcome sight on my threads.

I turn my king over to you sir , for I can not lie,I never considered computers or smart T.V.'S I should have but did not.
I thank you sir and accept your king on this thread anyway. :peace.

Thanks PS.....I am not all up on the Tech. My step-son and youngest son. Let me in on all the notable stuff. Although I wouldn't mind the puter being tied to the TV and not have to have a Puter to run separately.

Plus with them now being able to beam directly in Ads based on where one shops. It will only advance more into ones privacy. ;)

Thanks PS.....I am not all up on the Tech. My step-son and youngest son. Let me in on all the notable stuff. Although I wouldn't mind the puter being tied to the TV and not have to have a Puter to run separately.

Plus with them now being able to beam directly in Ads based on where one shops. It will only advance more into ones privacy. ;)

My pleasure , never backed down from a mistake , to me overlooking computers attached to T.V.'S big mistake by your's truly.

I am about as close to computer illiteracy as I can get all these updates it seems just when I start to understand it becomes ancient or old news, but I keep trying .
Some of which I've learned on this forum.
Knowledge is here you need but be humble and seek it , after all a person who know's every thing has nothing to learn, and is often repeating what he knows. a sad life indeed..:peace

Back
Top Bottom