• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will Overtime Win Lead to Worker Loss[W:508:549]

Re: Will Overtime Win Lead to Worker Loss

When is the last time a CEO went without a bonus or wage increase?

Got it, so you aren't paying any of that 250 billion a year in debt service. We have an 18 trillion dollar economy and 19.2 trillion dollar debt. Just goes to show how out of touch with reality the left is. It is indeed a political choice to buy votes thus driving up debt giving people "free stuff" yet there truly is nothing free, someone else pays for it and you don't have a problem with that?

If every country on the planet is in debt, who is everybody in debt to?

If every country on the planet is in debt, who is everybody in debt to?

Debt isn't a bad thing, in fact, for one person not to be in debt means another person is.

The government (Consolidating fed + treasury) debits a reserve account and credits a securities account, reverse that when a bond matures.

And? The "debt" simply represents cumulative annual deficits/outstanding government bonds, which are a net financial asset of the private sector/foreign sectors.

?

The recent stimulus, who paid for it, considering it went hand in hand with tax cuts? A government deficit results in an increase in net financial assets for the private sector.

Those ACCUMULATED deficits cost the taxpayers over 250 BILLION a year, pocket change?

As for the tax cuts, how much of a tax cut did you get? I got a rebate NOT a tax cut.

Debt isn't a bad thing, in fact, for one person not to be in debt means another person is.

Govt. debt is indeed a bad thing if it does nothing to promote the private sector economic growth. Obama's deficits went to pay off supporters, bailout union contracts, fund state responsibility issues and did nothing to promote the private sector. Reagan's stimulus was ALL TAX CUTS with no spending and the spending that did occur under Reagan went to the private sector NOT social engineering.

Those ACCUMULATED deficits cost the taxpayers over 250 BILLION a year, pocket change?

As for the tax cuts, how much of a tax cut did you get? I got a rebate NOT a tax cut.
Please provide evidence that taxation in relation to the federal government does anything more then destroy dollars. Accounts are debited and other accounts are credited based on what congress wants.
https://www.whitehouse.gov/economy/jobs/tax-relief-for-160-million-workers

Govt. debt is indeed a bad thing if it does nothing to promote the private sector economic growth. Obama's deficits went to pay off supporters, bailout union contracts, fund state responsibility issues and did nothing to promote the private sector. Reagan's stimulus was ALL TAX CUTS with no spending and the spending that did occur under Reagan went to the private sector NOT social engineering.

Govt. debt is indeed a bad thing if it does nothing to promote the private sector economic growth.
Why is it a bad thing?
Obama's deficits went to pay off supporters
A common criticism.
bailout union contracts, fund state responsibility issues and did nothing to promote the private sector.
Government spending past tax receipts leads to more dollars for people in the private sector, which you admit. That's all a boost to demand if spent.
Reagan's stimulus was ALL TAX CUTS with no spending and the spending that did occur under Reagan went to the private sector NOT social engineering.
Reagan ran large deficits at the time, and increased government debt by a lot. This wasn't a bad thing, in fact, his tax cuts + spending on the military really helped the economy boom. Notice how Reagan never tried to balance the budget.

Please provide evidence that taxation in relation to the federal government does anything more then destroy dollars. Accounts are debited and other accounts are credited based on what congress wants.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/economy/jobs/tax-relief-for-160-million-workers

The Reagan economy is a perfect example of what happens when people get to keep more of what they earn, they spend it, save it, invest it, or pay down debt all stimulates economic activity and grows GDP, Reagan GDP doubled and 17 million jobs were created.

I asked you how much of a tax cut you got and what I get are more WH talking points. We got no tax cut, we got a rebate and those how got any kind of tax cut had to do something to get them

The Reagan economy is a perfect example of what happens when people get to keep more of what they earn, they spend it, save it, invest it, or pay down debt all stimulates economic activity and grows GDP, Reagan GDP doubled and 17 million jobs were created.

I asked you how much of a tax cut you got and what I get are more WH talking points. We got no tax cut, we got a rebate and those how got any kind of tax cut had to do something to get them
I never disagreed. But reagan racked up government debt and ran deficits constantly. I don't think thats a bad thing, and you shouldn't either. That's my point. Seriously, think about this. Debt increased rapidly under Reagan, all while taxes were cut. Has anyone had to "pay that back" yet?
You don't remember this?
President Obama's Making Work Pay credit provided 95 percent of working families a tax cut of $400 per person or $800 per couple in 2009 and 2010.

• The President's payroll tax cut provided 160 million workers a 2 percent reduction in payroll taxes, cutting taxes for a typical family earning $50,000 a year by $1,000 -- or $40 per paycheck -- in 2011 and 2012.

Why is it a bad thing?

A common criticism.

Government spending past tax receipts leads to more dollars for people in the private sector, which you admit. That's all a boost to demand if spent.

Reagan ran large deficits at the time, and increased government debt by a lot. This wasn't a bad thing, in fact, his tax cuts + spending on the military really helped the economy boom. Notice how Reagan never tried to balance the budget.

Reagan increased debt 1.7 trillion dollars and the money spent was in the private sector, not growing the govt. dependence. In today's dollars that debt would have been 3.5 trillion. Obama has created over 8.6 trillion in debt in 7 years and did nothing to promote the private sector

I never disagreed. But reagan racked up government debt and ran deficits constantly. I don't think thats a bad thing, and you shouldn't either. That's my point. Seriously, think about this. Debt increased rapidly under Reagan, all while taxes were cut. Has anyone had to "pay that back" yet?

You don't remember this?

Payroll taxes fund SS and Medicare. So you have no problem with underfunding those programs that are already trillions in unfunded liabilities?

Reagan increased debt 1.7 trillion dollars and the money spent was in the private sector, not growing the govt. dependence. In today's dollars that debt would have been 3.5 trillion. Obama has created over 8.6 trillion in debt in 7 years and did nothing to promote the private sector
Reagan increased debt 1.7 trillion dollars and the money spent was in the private sector, not growing the govt. dependence.
All deficit spending, for all practical purposes, leads to an increase in dollars in the private sector. Now, we can debate who gets the dollars, but I am correct on this.
Obama has created over 8.6 trillion in debt in 7 years and did nothing to promote the private sector
Most of the debt increase has been due to deficits caused by automatic stabilizers, such as increased food stamp enrollment due to the recent downturn, and unemployment insurance. Anyways, in relation to the size of the crisis, the deficits were far to small. Claiming he did nothing to "promote the private sector" is.. silly. How do you define this?

Payroll taxes fund SS and Medicare. So you have no problem with underfunding those programs that are already trillions in unfunded liabilities?
Payroll taxes fund SS and Medicare.
It may seem that way, but federal taxes aren't needed to fund federal spending, since the government has to spend before it can tax.
So you have no problem with underfunding those programs that are already trillions in unfunded liabilities?
The programs are fine. We only need to worry about making sure we have enough hospitals, doctors, medicine..
"Unfunded liabilities."
Not a problem for a currency issuer, and since when do we worry about our water bill 50 years from now?

It's not a zero sum game. Most people are in debt because that is how the system is set up by the banks.

After reading the whole thread, I have to say that the Sturm und Drang from the right is all too familiar to take seriously --

13221509_490334064495365_5567546001484694138_n.jpg

Happens all the time but its not news worthy.

Then how do you know it happens all the time?

It's not a zero sum game. Most people are in debt because that is how the system is set up by the banks.

In a system where the majority of money is endogenous, originating from bank loans, it is impossible for a majority to be without debt.

All deficit spending, for all practical purposes, leads to an increase in dollars in the private sector. Now, we can debate who gets the dollars, but I am correct on this.

Most of the debt increase has been due to deficits caused by automatic stabilizers, such as increased food stamp enrollment due to the recent downturn, and unemployment insurance. Anyways, in relation to the size of the crisis, the deficits were far to small. Claiming he did nothing to "promote the private sector" is.. silly. How do you define this?

Wow, your opinion noted. Increasing dollars by govt. spending does nothing but increase debt as the govt. not spending that money in the private sector does nothing to productivity. I define it easily by looking actual GDP components

It may seem that way, but federal taxes aren't needed to fund federal spending, since the government has to spend before it can tax.

The programs are fine. We only need to worry about making sure we have enough hospitals, doctors, medicine..
"Unfunded liabilities."
Not a problem for a currency issuer, and since when do we worry about our water bill 50 years from now?

Typical big govt. liberal who believes these are the responsibility of the Federal Govt. Not true, most of what you want is state responsibility, not Federal taxpayer responsibility. States fund teachers, police, fire, build hospitals, and create the economic environment for doctors. I suggest a basic civics lesson

Wow, your opinion noted. Increasing dollars by govt. spending does nothing but increase debt as the govt. not spending that money in the private sector does nothing to productivity. I define it easily by looking actual GDP components
Increasing dollars by govt. spending does nothing but increase debt as the govt. not spending that money in the private sector does nothing to productivity
Do you understand money creation? Dollars can only come from government spending past tax receipts or banks originating. (Loans create deposits.)
Government spending past tax receipts leads to more dollars in the private sector, for the most part. (The foreign sector can get some as well!) The money does go into the private sector though.
Flow-of-funds and sectoral balances | Bill Mitchell – billy blog

Typical big govt. liberal who believes these are the responsibility of the Federal Govt. Not true, most of what you want is state responsibility, not Federal taxpayer responsibility. States fund teachers, police, fire, build hospitals, and create the economic environment for doctors. I suggest a basic civics lesson
Typical big govt. liberal who believes these are the responsibility of the Federal Govt.
I never said. I'm saying we will need doctors, hospitals, plenty of medicine when more and more people retire/need medical help. We shouldn't be worrying about not having enough dollars, since government checks don't bounce.
Not true, most of what you want is state responsibility, not Federal taxpayer responsibility. States fund teachers, police, fire, build hospitals, and create the economic environment for doctors. I suggest a basic civics lesson
States need dollars to do what you describe though. ;)

I suggest you take a basic reality lesson. These state taxpayer responsibilities are often kept afloat from Federal subsidies.

What is typical is that the "conservative" states take more federal money than they pay in.

I suggest you take a basic reality lesson. These state taxpayer responsibilities are often kept afloat from Federal subsidies.

What is typical is that the "conservative" states take more federal money than they pay in.

There's nothing wrong with states taking more federal money then they pay, since a currency issuer has to spend before it can tax.

There's nothing wrong with states taking more federal money then they pay, since a currency issuer has to spend before it can tax.

I agree.

What I take exception to is that Conservatives love to pretend that they don't suck the Federal Govt. teet.

Back
Top Bottom