• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Will a brave Republican challenge Trump in the primary?

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I could possibly see it, but if it is Jeff Flake, Mitt Romney, John Kasich, or Jeb Bush, Trump has nothing to worry about.

Only a few names would worry Trump and I doubt they would challenge him.

washunut

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
I could possibly see it, but if it is Jeff Flake, Mitt Romney, John Kasich, or Jeb Bush, Trump has nothing to worry about.

Who are those few names???

DarkWizard12

Sir Poop A lot
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Communist
they won't win lol

Helix

Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
nope. if he's still in office, he is the nominee. if he isn't, it's Pence for the automatic Trumpist party nomination.

OrphanSlug

A sinister place...
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Someone should, but they are all too weak to do so.

Moon

Why so serious?
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

Wouldn’t surprise me, but if it’s an establishment status quo candidate I don’t think they’ll get very far.

haymarket

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Challenging Trump would do no good if he runs again as the Trumpkins would save his sorry ass. However, I expect Trump to resign later this year due to "health problems".

Skeptic Bob

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Left
nope. if he's still in office, he is the nominee. if he isn't, it's Pence for the automatic Trumpist party nomination.

If Pence takes over this term, for whatever reason, he WILL be primaried. And there are plenty of Republicans who could beat Pence in a primary.

Helix

Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
If Pence takes over this term, for whatever reason, he WILL be primaried. And there are plenty of Republicans who could beat Pence in a primary.

that is indeed possible. however, support for Trump among his extremely loyal core base is a different dynamic, and they make up a large percentage of the former Republican party. if Trump is running, a primary challenger has no chance unless something seriously changes in the next year.

Tom Horn

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative

zero federal senators I see on that list can unseat him. And as for the house, these eight just shot themselves in both feet:
Will Hurd
Brian Fitzpatrick
John Katko
Chris Smith
Elise Stefaniak
Fred Upton
Greg Walden
Peter King

Beaudreaux

Preserve Protect Defend
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Running against Trump in the primary is most definitely possible. I hope they do...

I can't see anyone being a "Ross Perot" in the general election which would guarantee a GOP loss that they would be blamed for and end their political career.

The simplest way to get Trump out of office would be for the Democrats to nominate and run a reasonable candidate that could get both Independent and Middle-Right "Goldwater" Republican votes (like mine). If not, folks will either stay home or do as I did last time and write in another name, meaning the election will come down to the radicals in both parties, and that would do even more harm to our country.

jdog21

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Wouldn’t surprise me, but if it’s an establishment status quo candidate I don’t think they’ll get very far.

Trump was supposed to be a big F you to the establishment all those elites that steal power and money and don't represent the people and only represent corporations. If Trumps not there to run Cruz or Rand Paul are the only other option or the elites win.

Airyaman

New Druid
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
The RNC is not going to allow anyone to challenge Trump.

markjs

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Trump was supposed to be a big F you to the establishment all those elites that steal power and money and don't represent the people and only represent corporations. If Trumps not there to run Cruz or Rand Paul are the only other option or the elites win.

Cruz plays at being anti establishment, but he's a big phony, and NOBODY, (even his fellows and some suspect his own family) can stand the guy.

Rand Paul could be a threat, but clearly Trump or Putin has the Compromat on him, so no worries, he's been effectively nuetered.

Tom Horn

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
My three others: Darin LaHood
Trey Hollingsworth
Lee Zeldin

Moon

Why so serious?
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative

Maybe. I don’t see it happening, though.

Top Bottom