• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why whites can't say the "N word?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I, as a black man, get this question quite often around my circle of white friends at my university, and although the usage of the word in etymology is historically offensive, I find it very difficult to have some of my friends understand the cultural climate of why African-Americans use the word. According to professor Eric Dyson the usage of the "N-Word" is as follows:

"N-i-g-g-e-r — 'nigger' — is a term coined by white supremacists and slavemasters who intended to harm the psychology and the social standing of black slaves," says Michael Eric Dyson, who teaches African-American studies at DePaul University and is the author of Holler If You Hear Me: Searching for Tupac Shakur. "N-i-g-g-a, n-i-g-g-u-h, n-i-g-g-a-z — 'niggaz' — are terms generated within hip-hop culture... attempts of black people to wrest control over how they will be viewed, or at least termed, by the dominant society."

According to some scholars the usage of the word represents an effort by black people to take over the word for themselves, stripping it of the hateful and degrading meaning historically given to it by whites. According to Patricia Williams of Columbia Law school, "in beginning to accept the new usage of the word, mainstream culture is unfairly ignoring the objections of black Americans like Bunny Plaskett who remember the pain of life in the United States before civil rights. "Words have histories embedded in them that don't ever quite go away," says Williams, "even though it feels like this is the word of the minute."

Can whites use the word?

Hip-Hop and the many white consumers of this particular music genre are overexposed to the usage of the word "nigga" as I've put in quotations marks highlighting the difference between saying "nigga" and "nigger" as the former is seen as a term of endearment and the latter having historical significance of superimposing a derogatory psychological term that was used against African-Americans. As I mentioned before, in California and in many black communities in America, blacks do not refer to themselves or each other as "nigger" as this term is historically derogatory, rather changing one letter "er" with an "a" and creating an entirely new meaning. The same argument can be said by women referring to each other as "bitches." Although the term is originally derogatory, often times women greet each other using that term as a term of endearment.

Should whites use the term "nigger?"

Resoundingly no.

It is an offensive term and its usage in this hypersensitive society especially noting the historical significance of the word's usage, and as Eric Dyson stated from a cultural standpoint, American white culture or european culture period has monopolized many facets of society and has changed the dynamics of how human beings perceive beauty, race, skin color, and physical features and so for once can African-Americans at least have one thing to call their own? In that I have to agree.
"Nigger" means 'black'. Whites can't say it because it highlights a diference between the speaker and the listiner, while blacks can say it because it highlights a likeness.

I'm white and I get it.

No because you aren't in my circle of friends. Just as I am sure you wouldn't say what's up bitch to a female even though she may refer to her friends as bitches. Again, it's about being immersed in a culture and having or I should say, be given the right to use language. I mean, this America you can use it but I warn you saying that to random people you don't know can get you hurt or killed.

It's like gang lingo. Just because you perceive certain gang lingo cool or you identify with a gang even without being initiated, you still have not been accepted in that culture or group to earn the right to use that word.

Uh huh.

:roll:

So effectively you're just full of it when you say "nigger" and "nigga" have different meanings. I mean, if you're correct in defining "nigga" as a term of endearment unrelated to the word "nigger" then there shouldn't be any racial issues when using the word.

No the difference is that Michael Richards was screaming it at black people saying that 50 years ago they'd have a fork up their ass and saying "kick him out, he's a nigger."

That's the difference, it's the context and intent, and for Michael Richards it was clear.

I think the whole Michael Richards thing was rediculous ... yeah, he's a racist ... so what ... it's obvious his "apology" was just PR, don't make him appologise, make him be honest.

I am going to tell you something that I tell certain whites who make comments like this....

Go up to a group of black guys, not kids but men. Call them niggers don't explain why you said it just say that word. See what happens.

Either two things are gonna happen:

1) You will be too intimidated to say the word,

2) You'll get confronted, best up, or killed

If you honestly think there is no difference test that theory out.

It is an offensive term and its usage in this hypersensitive society especially noting the historical significance of the word's usage, and as Eric Dyson stated from a cultural standpoint, American white culture or european culture period has monopolized many facets of society and has changed the dynamics of how human beings perceive beauty, race, skin color, and physical features and so for once can African-Americans at least have one thing to call their own? In that I have to agree.

Well, there's the problem.

I am going to tell you something that I tell certain whites who make comments like this....

Go up to a group of black guys, not kids but men. Call them niggers don't explain why you said it just say that word. See what happens.

1) You will be two intimidated to say the word,

You, as a black man -

Go up to a group of white men, and call them crackers without explaining why. One thing will happen.

1.) You will walk away, unharmed.

Why? Because there is a double standard.

Is it OK for a black person to say cracker to a white person?

Uh huh.

:roll:

So effectively you're just full of it when you say "nigger" and "nigga" have different meanings. I mean, if you're correct in defining "nigga" as a term of endearment unrelated to the word "nigger" then there shouldn't be any racial issues when using the word.

No you are misunderstanding me. This is the internet. You can say what you want. I can't do anything but my point is certain words are culture specific. When I say culture specific I am not talking about black white culture I am referring to the culture of the people you are around. Some blacks are ok with whites saying the word, some aren't hence me saying you havw to be immersed in the culture you are around. One thing you can't do is say "nigger"

Why whites can't say the "N" word?

who says they can't? anyone can ... and many do
like anything else that is chosen to be said, there may be consequences to having expressed it
mother ****er
sonofabitch
bitch
bastard
asshole
creepy ass cracker (which does not become an affectionate usage if expressed as creepy ass cracka ... ditto for nigga)

white guy not surrounded by black friends while using the term in the company of african Americans is probably going to get his ass beat
then again, if the white guy can defend himself, someone might be soliciting a call for an ambulance

You, as a black man -

Go up to a group of white men, and call them crackers without explaining why. One thing will happen.

1.) You will walk away, unharmed.

Why? Because there is a double standard.

Not sure what blacks you know but us college kids don't use racial pejoratives. Even as my latino friends use racial pejoratives I don't join in cause as I said there are culture specific lingo.

Also, I noticed since the Trayvon Martin case a lot of whites tend to think "all blacks" say the word cracker. Thanks to the media in popularizing a word that has been around for centuries, and thanks to the Trayvon Martin case most specifically Jenteal's statement, every black person uses that word. Again, like some whites, some blacks do not use that word. Come on...

1) You will be too intimidated to say the word,

1-I completely agree. thats likely what would happen. 2-That is precisely why so many blacks in this country still live like animals in communities NO ONE is safe in. So...well done!

Had Trayvon Martin been taught to say "excuse me sir, is there a reason you are following me?" he would be alive today. However growing up in an era where you gots to get yo 'respect' with an attitude that an acceptable response to a WORD is to commit an act of violence is the kind of mentality that got him a permanent room at the Dead Idiots Inn. It has caused 11,000 dead yound black people SINCE the Martin incident alone.

Maybe you should be less concerned with whether or not you can say the word nigger in its various forms but whitey cant and more concerned with a dead/dying community, huh? You know...as a black man and all. Frankly...I cant understand WHY anyone wants to use the word in the first place.

Now..."Creepy Ass Cracka" on the other hand...well that ****s comedy gold right there.

I am loving how you guys keep using one court case to denote the behavior of every black person in America. Keep em coming.

Not sure what blacks you know but us college kids don't use racial pejoratives. Even as my latino friends use racial pejoratives I don't join in cause as I said there are culture specific lingo.

Also, I noticed since the Trayvon Martin case a lot of whites tend to think "all blacks" say the word cracker. Thanks to the media in popularizing a word that has been around for centuries, and thanks to the Trayvon Martin case most specifically Jenteal's statement, every black person uses that word. Again, like some whites, some blacks do not use that word. Come on...

Nah, you're not going to use TM case as an out on this one.

Movies, comedians, BET, etc, all use the word cracker - none of the people using have to publicly apologize, or lose their jobs.

It's just like saying all white people use the word 'nigger.' We don't, but the ones who do get publicly crucified for it.

Stop using a court case example which is not a reflection of black thought.

Way to jump to conclusions about why we don't like being called crackers.

Stop assuming some uneducated girl caused us to dislike being called a racial slur. This problem existed long before she humiliated herself.

When I was a sophomore, I had a black friend who would call me nigger and I would call him cracker. Confused the hell out of people in the hallway.

me and all my army buddies just call each other "bitch". "hey, what's up bitch?"

Way to jump to conclusions about why we don't like being called crackers.

Stop assuming some uneducated girl caused us to dislike being called a racial slur. This problem existed long before she humiliated herself.

I think it's funny when some black person calls me "cracker". I just laugh and think to myself "cracker? really? is that the best you can do?"

1-I completely agree. thats likely what would happen. 2-That is precisely why so many blacks in this country still live like animals in communities NO ONE is safe in. So...well done!

Had Trayvon Martin been taught to say "excuse me sir, is there a reason you are following me?" he would be alive today. However growing up in an era where you gots to get yo 'respect' with an attitude that an acceptable response to a WORD is to commit an act of violence is the kind of mentality that got him a permanent room at the Dead Idiots Inn. It has caused 11,000 dead yound black people SINCE the Martin incident alone.

Maybe you should be less concerned with whether or not you can say the word nigger in its various forms but whitey cant and more concerned with a dead/dying community, huh? You know...as a black man and all. Frankly...I cant understand WHY anyone wants to use the word in the first place.

Now..."Creepy Ass Cracka" on the other hand...well that ****s comedy gold right there.

Outstanding :clap:

Why whites can't say the "N" word?

who says they can't? anyone can ... and many do
like anything else that is chosen to be said, there may be consequences to having expressed it
mother ****er
sonofabitch
bitch
bastard
asshole
creepy ass cracker (which does not become an affectionate usage if expressed as creepy ass cracka ... ditto for nigga)

white guy not surrounded by black friends while using the term in the company of african Americans is probably going to get his ass beat
then again, if the white guy can defend himself, someone might be soliciting a call for an ambulance
I always love the "epic beard guy" video. Somebody bring ambalance...

racism is a funny thing. "Kick his white ass blood" "Pinkie"...oh...and at the end..."Ima kill that nigga"...spoken by the guy with an extra hole in his head....

Yo..he leakin...

I think it's funny when some black person calls me "cracker". I just laugh and think to myself "cracker? really? is that the best you can do?"

Right?

The english language is rich with insults - 'cracker' - really?

I think what society needs to understand that there are certain words that are culture specific, and in certain ways many cultures believe outsiders of that culture ought to not use those culture specific words as their meaning said by the outsider, does not have the same meaning as it is expressed by those within the culture.

Other than nigger, would you mind listing eight or ten of them?

Thanks.

Signed, A white guy who can't think of one single "white culture specific" word that blacks should have the good taste not to use.

I, as a black man, get this question quite often around my circle of white friends at my university, and although the usage of the word in etymology is historically offensive, I find it very difficult to have some of my friends understand the cultural climate of why African-Americans use the word. According to professor Eric Dyson the usage of the "N-Word" is as follows:

"N-i-g-g-e-r — 'nigger' — is a term coined by white supremacists and slavemasters who intended to harm the psychology and the social standing of black slaves," says Michael Eric Dyson, who teaches African-American studies at DePaul University and is the author of Holler If You Hear Me: Searching for Tupac Shakur. "N-i-g-g-a, n-i-g-g-u-h, n-i-g-g-a-z — 'niggaz' — are terms generated within hip-hop culture... attempts of black people to wrest control over how they will be viewed, or at least termed, by the dominant society."

According to some scholars the usage of the word represents an effort by black people to take over the word for themselves, stripping it of the hateful and degrading meaning historically given to it by whites. According to Patricia Williams of Columbia Law school, "in beginning to accept the new usage of the word, mainstream culture is unfairly ignoring the objections of black Americans like Bunny Plaskett who remember the pain of life in the United States before civil rights. "Words have histories embedded in them that don't ever quite go away," says Williams, "even though it feels like this is the word of the minute."

Can whites use the word?

Hip-Hop and the many white consumers of this particular music genre are overexposed to the usage of the word "nigga" as I've put in quotations marks highlighting the difference between saying "nigga" and "nigger" as the former is seen as a term of endearment and the latter having historical significance of superimposing a derogatory psychological term that was used against African-Americans. As I mentioned before, in California and in many black communities in America, blacks do not refer to themselves or each other as "nigger" as this term is historically derogatory, rather changing one letter "er" with an "a" and creating an entirely new meaning. The same argument can be said by women referring to each other as "bitches." Although the term is originally derogatory, often times women greet each other using that term as a term of endearment.

Should whites use the term "nigger?"

Resoundingly no.

Yes and no, I am really in two minds about this. I am not black or American (as some have noticed I am Dutch), so I do not have such a negative relation to the N-word. First of all because we do not use it.

I think people can use the N-word if it is not directed at someone, for example, if I want to explain what NWA stands for to someone, I am going to have to use the N-word IMHO. The same goes when describing how black people in the slavery time and afterwards were called.

But it is a no if people use it (and it does not matter whether the person uses it positively or negatively) towards black people. Now African Americans between each other is a different issue, they can use it among themselves but I think it would be wise if they use it sparingly.

me and all my army buddies just call each other "bitch". "hey, what's up bitch?"

That's funny.

My Army buddies are the only guys I use the word nigger in reference to.

When you've got three or four Wilsons in a Company how the hell else can you differentiate between Nigger Wil and the others?

But I guess there are "cultural" bonds that exist in the Army that transcend the bonds formed on the skreet.

Who... ****ing..... Cares.

Its a word..... Why people cry over the use of a word is beyond my understanding.

If more black people had the resiliency of the black police officers I worked with in this regard.... this word would lose all of its power.

But, this "word" just gives more people something to be angry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom