• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why should I care what MLK would have thought or said or any other reaction..

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
A few posts on here talk about how the contrasts between Beck and MLK and the conclusions go a little bit something like this: Beck is obviously a lying racist nazi that MLK would disapprove of; and Beck supports war because war is cool / MLK would have been a tea partier

MLK. He rabble roused for civil rights and said "I have a dream.", got shot, everyone cried and now his supposed sensibilities are being used a litmus test to see how racist someone is. His legacy is equal to wearing a WWJD bracelet for people as far as I can tell.

How are we going to become a post racial society if we keep acknowledging race in class struggles? I remember all of the politically correct BS in school and all of the "diversity" crap I hear now. All it ever does is make people of different races "aware" of each others faults and ending it, "but we cannot be prejudiced" does not undo the racist things that were taught.

What is the relevance of using MLK as an example? What is it supposed to mean to me? Do I need to revere MLK first in order to get it?

It does get kinda tiresome after awhile.

But I think the whole race card thing has been played to death and it is time to move on. ****, we've got a black prez and black Supremes and CEO's, what the **** do you want already...

A few posts on here talk about how the contrasts between Beck and MLK and the conclusions go a little bit something like this: Beck is obviously a lying racist nazi that MLK would disapprove of; and Beck supports war because war is cool / MLK would have been a tea partier

MLK. He rabble roused for civil rights and said "I have a dream.", got shot, everyone cried and now his supposed sensibilities are being used a litmus test to see how racist someone is. His legacy is equal to wearing a WWJD bracelet for people as far as I can tell.

How are we going to become a post racial society if we keep acknowledging race in class struggles? I remember all of the politically correct BS in school and all of the "diversity" crap I hear now. All it ever does is make people of different races "aware" of each others faults and ending it, "but we cannot be prejudiced" does not undo the racist things that were taught.

What is the relevance of using MLK as an example? What is it supposed to mean to me? Do I need to revere MLK first in order to get it?
I have to agree with this. It is really ironic how many people revere him, yet still promote racist ideas like quotas and so forth. It's also ridiculous to saint him because he's hardly perfect. There's some pretty strong evidence that he plagiarized his way through his degree. But I'm probably just being racist in bringing it up ... :roll:

History, as it is written by most historians and synthesized in the popular culture, is narrated through the actions of great individuals who take on superhuman qualities. In this sense, MLK is a symbol of universal good, justice and equality in a similar way as Hitler/"Nazis" is conversely used.

The reality is that the Civil Rights movement was a much greater power than MLK and involved a movement of millions, at which time he was picked by many to be a figurehead of that movement. This is why he is so popular today.

Back
Top Bottom