• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why Reagan?

SheWolf

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
I apologize if this has been asked already, but why did the Republican Party choose to idolize and worship Reagan out of all their former leaders?

Can any republicans explain why they like Reagan so much. I see a lot of young people praising Reagan, and they weren't even alive when he was president. I seriously doubt they even know why they like him, so I am asking all of the republicans here. Please explain your love of Reagan.

All of this Reagan love seems sudden too. My uncle has been a republican his entire life, but just recently he named his dog Reagan.. :lol:

It just seems to me that the republican party started this suddenly during the Bush admin for some reason..

No, it has been going on since Reagan was President.

The main reason? Jimmy Carter. Everything was so ****ed up during the Carter years that Reagan seemed like a reincarnation of George Washington by comparison.

I remember it well.

Because the Libertarians already claimed Calvin Coolidge.

I apologize if this has been asked already, but why did the Republican Party choose to idolize and worship Reagan out of all their former leaders?

Can any republicans explain why they like Reagan so much. I see a lot of young people praising Reagan, and they weren't even alive when he was president. I seriously doubt they even know why they like him, so I am asking all of the republicans here. Please explain your love of Reagan.

All of this Reagan love seems sudden too. My uncle has been a republican his entire life, but just recently he named his dog Reagan.. :lol:

It just seems to me that the republican party started this suddenly during the Bush admin for some reason..

It's not sudden. 1984, go look at an electoral map. Tell me how many red states there were.

Because they live in the past.

I just think its funny to hear Reagan praising the new deal.

The Reagan worshippers are mindless sheeple.

It's just like the left's love affair with Lincoln and how he's glorified in our public schools.

Last edited:
The Reagan worshippers are mindless sheeple.

It's just like the left's love affair with Lincoln and how he's glorified in our public schools.

Lincoln, good or ill, accomplished very difficult things. Reagan just destroyed what was already in place and working

A few of the reasons I appreciate Reagan:

"To Milton Friedman, the Nobel prize-winning economist, Reagan's tax cuts -- especially the 1986 bill -- were 'one of the most important factors in the boom of the 1990s.' Adds Robert A. Mundell, another Nobel laureate: '[They] made the U.S. economy the motor for the world economy in the 1990s, on which the great revolution in information technology was able to feed.'"

BW Online | June 21, 2004 | Reagan's Economic Legacy

Reagan ended the Cold War.

He appointed Libertarian-leaning justices to the Supreme Court (O'Connor and Kennedy) being well aware of their positions on certain issues before nominating them.

No, it has been going on since Reagan was President.

The main reason? Jimmy Carter. Everything was so ****ed up during the Carter years that Reagan seemed like a reincarnation of George Washington by comparison.

I remember it well.

So I guess Obama is going to look like the second coming of Jesus to historians then.

So I guess Obama is going to look like the second coming of Jesus to historians then.

Hardly. Carter was still carter even following Nixon.

Did you live through the 70's?

Depends on the 'historians'. Those that are ideologically biased were convinced Obama was God before he was elected (they are the same kind of morons that would give him a peace prize...what a binch of absolute ****nuggets...). Those that are honest will judge him honestly. And in two years its a little early to 'judge' his presidency. Right now...if people are judging him honestly they would judge him as a reincarnation of Carter more than the second coming of Christ. Of course...anyone that judged him honestly would be called a racist.

Lincoln, good or ill, accomplished very difficult things. Reagan just destroyed what was already in place and working

Holy ****...that literally made me laugh diet coke through my nose. I take it you WERENT a home owner (or for that matter 'employed') during Carters administration...

geezus...someone here mentioned mindless sheeple...

Sad that as someone who's not American, I know the Presidents better than you. It was Ford, not Nixon.

Ford was merely a placeholder. Im betting if you werent so interested in that snide little ZING you could throw in there you are REALLY smart enough to recognize that it wasnt FORD that begat Carter but Nixon. Ah...but why pass up a shot...right?

Ford was merely a placeholder. Im betting if you werent so interested in that snide little ZING you could throw in there you are REALLY smart enough to recognize that it wasnt FORD that begat Carter but Nixon. Ah...but why pass up a shot...right?

He was not elected, but he was President for about a good solid 2 years before Carter took office. Are you going to deny that too? It's not like Nixon fell into Carter, like Harshaw eludes.

He was not elected, but he was President for about a good solid 2 years before Carter took office. Are you going to deny that too? It's not like Nixon fell into Carter, like Harshaw eludes.

Are you DELIBERATELY or just naturally ignorant? No one is denying Fords existence. Without Nixon there likely would not have been a Carter. People turned to Carter because they were SO done with Nixon and Ford was guilty by association. Carter wasnt preferable to Ford...Carter campaigned against Nixon. Carter associated his opponent with Nixon. people Elected Carter because he wasnt LIKE Nixon. Sort of a hopey changey thing.

Are you DELIBERATELY or just naturally ignorant? No one is denying Fords existence. Without Nixon there likely would not have been a Carter. People turned to Carter because they were SO done with Nixon and Ford was guilty by association. Carter wasnt preferable to Ford...Carter campaigned against Nixon. Carter associated his opponent with Nixon. people Elected Carter because he wasnt LIKE Nixon. Sort of a hopey changey thing.

So I guess Carter won by a landslide then.

Oops, he didn't, didn't he?

I think it was Iran arms for hostages, I think they love that stuff. I feel sorry for the dog.

Sad that as someone who's not American, I know the Presidents better than you. It was Ford, not Nixon.

Sad that you think you know American history better than I do when you completely miss the point. :roll:

Ford finished out the Nixon presidency which had ended in disaster and disgrace. The Democrats ran their campaign against Nixon, not Ford, and why shouldn't they have?

Carter was elected in the aftermath of Nixon. Ford was irrelevant. Ford could have been anybody. It didn't matter. The Democrat was going to win. Because of Nixon.

Sad that you think you know American history better than I do when you completely miss the point. :roll:

Ford finished out the Nixon presidency which had ended in disaster and disgrace. The Democrats ran their campaign against Nixon, not Ford, and why shouldn't they have?

Carter was elected in the aftermath of Nixon. Ford was irrelevant. Ford could have been anybody. It didn't matter. The Democrat was going to win. Because of Nixon.

Ford didn't help his cause pardoning Nixon. He HAD too, but it killed his chance of coming out of Nixon's shadow.

So I guess Carter won by a landslide then.

Oops, he didn't, didn't he?

*sigh*

And that goes to prove the point. The ONLY reason Carter won was because of NIXON.

Back
Top Bottom