• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why Not Special Plates/Stickers for Gun Owners?

I thought a gun is supposed to protect you from theft - but now you're arguing that a gun increases vulnerability to theft. Which is it? Make up your mind.
No... The increased chance of theft is from making people advertise they have one.

That is such an idiotic concept.

Should a person really be leaving their gun unattended in their car? That doesn't sound responsible - it's a deadly weapon. You're arguing for freedom from responsibility.
If I have a gun, and enter an establishment that rightfully asks that no firearms be allowed, the glovebox, console, or trunk is the appropriate place to put it.

Dont be a pinhead. If I go into an establishment with carry restrictions or government property, I am forced to leave the weapon secured in my vehicle even though a criminal would not. Note the word secured..... In addition, I carry concealed for a reason. I have no desire to let anyone know I am armed.

So you are irresponsibly leaving your gun in your car where anybody could get at it. Not a responsible act at all - it's not a flashlight. You do this for the sake of convenience, even though it's irresponsible. Claiming it's secured doesn't make it secured.

So you are irresponsibly leaving your gun in your car where anybody could get at it. Not a responsible act at all - it's not a flashlight. You do this for the sake of convenience, even though it's irresponsible. Claiming it's secured doesn't make it secured.

Oh stop with the ignorance. Now you are being intentionally obtuse though I could be wrong about the intentional part. Police officers lock their firearms in their cars all the time. As a matter of fact, sometimes they get stolen specifically because the car has plates/markings that advertise a gun is potentially inside. So explain to me again how advertising there may be a gun in my car is a smart idea without resorting to pedantic little remarks. If I leave my firearm locked in an underseat lockbox, I am doing so out of courtesy for certain public establishments and legal requirements for government locations. If I were a criminal, I would carry anyway.

How do you know he doesn't have a lock box in there? I have one in my truck. And it requires a key and the removal of the seat to get without the key.

What about cops leaving shotguns unsecured?

Sent from my grapefruit using smoke signals.

Would it be useful to have special license plates or stickers for gun owners who travel with their guns? That way law enforcement would immediately know they were dealing with a gun carrying motorist, even before they pull them over.

No ...it would be dangerous ...........period!

So then don't leave your damn gun lying around where people can get at it. If it's not on your person, then it should be locked safely in a vault. What you want is the freedom to leave your gun lying around irresponsibly, for the sake of convenience. Why should irresponsibility be made convenient?

Haven't you heard of that saying, "With great power comes great responsibility" - don't you see a gun as having great power to take someone's life away? Therefore there needs to be a lot of responsibility and not cavalier behavior, when owning a gun.

Pro-gun advocates certainly create the impression that they regard life as cheap - just as long as it's someone else's life other than their own.

Freedom to own/bear something should not necessarily equate to convenience - because responsibility is not about convenience. Freedom and responsibility go hand in hand, not freedom and convenience.

So...........you start a thread to pick a fight? Then babble on with the typical ignorance on the issue?

Well played.................Well played my friend.

We already have special plates indicating gun ownership.

Just look for any tag that says " TEXAS ".

Which would not be accurate, Since Washington, Oregon, and Indiana are the top three states for per capita CPL issuance If I remember correctly.

Pennsylvania, Idaho and South Dakota are fairly high on that list too.

EDIT, so I found the numbers, the top ten states are

1) South Dakota (12% of population
2) Indiana (10.8%)
3) Alabama (10.2%)
4) Utah (9.75)
5) Tennessee (9.35)
6) Pennsylvania (8.67)
7) Iowa (8.5)
8) Washington (8.5)
9) Florida (8.23)
10) Georgia (8)

Texas is way down,

they're number 35 at 3.65%

Ahead of Texas are some rock rib conservative bastions like Massachusetts (4.74) Minnesota (3.95) Maine (4.12) Connecticut (7.26) Wisconsin (4.8) and Michigan (5.6). Even in Montana where one can generally carry firearms without a license the rate is 4.8

Don't cut anyone off in CT.....

Last edited:
Which would not be accurate, Since Washington, Oregon, and Indiana are the top three states for per capita CPL issuance If I remember correctly.

There are more CCW holders in Florida than law enforcement....

There are more CCW holders in Florida than law enforcement....

wouldn't shock me.

in Wash we have coming up on 550,000 CPL holders, I can guarantee you we don't have 550K cops.

The Air Force and Marine Corps combined probably don't have that many people.

Not all states require you to report a weapon to the officer.

Some states actually have real men as cops, instead of the ******s who kill innocent people.

wouldn't shock me.

in Wash we have coming up on 550,000 CPL holders, I can guarantee you we don't have 550K cops.

The Air Force and Marine Corps combined probably don't have that many people.

According to Google, there are 765,000 police officers and nearly 13 million CCW permits. Up from 4 million in 2007.

2) Indiana (10.8%)
3) Alabama (10.2%)
4) Utah (9.75)
5) Tennessee (9.35)
6) Pennsylvania (8.67)
7) Iowa (8.5)
8) Washington (8.5)
9) Florida (8.23)
10) Georgia (8)

Texas is way down,

Ahead of Texas are some rock rib conservative bastions like Massachusetts (4.74) Minnesota (3.95) Maine (4.12) Connecticut (7.26) Wisconsin (4.8) and Michigan (5.6). Even in Montana where one can generally carry firearms without a license the rate is 4.8

You DO get the fact I was making an off-hand comment there, right?

But I can believe your research 100% about South Dakota.

I was dating a lady there in Rapid City, who after some training from me, decided to get her CCW. She said she was in and out of the sheriff's Office with it in about 15 minutes.
Badda Bing, badda boom.

I also agree with your research in general. Guns & Ammo magazine did a survey of gun friendly states, and Texas only came in 15th. There are 14 other states with more gun friendly laws than Texas.

ARIZONA was number 1.

I keep the list in my wallet just for interests sake.

Last edited:

2) Indiana (10.8%)
3) Alabama (10.2%)
4) Utah (9.75)
5) Tennessee (9.35)
6) Pennsylvania (8.67)
7) Iowa (8.5)
8) Washington (8.5)
9) Florida (8.23)
10) Georgia (8)

Texas is way down,

I was also talking about a gun present in the vehicle. Not necessarily a CCW license holder. I take one with me everywhere, all over the country, and never bother with a CCW.

I just came back from a trip to CA, and had my .45 with me the whole time.

You see, the cops are not who I am concerned about.

Just. No.

I may or may not be carrying my gun, first of all. Secondly, stolen guns are a valuable commodity. I don't want to inadvertently put a target on my back.

Hands on steering wheel. I have a legal firearm in a holster in my waistband. Obey the officer's instructions to the letter. Remember, he just wants to make it home at the end of his shift.

Some, not all, jurisdictions correlate licenses and registrations to driver's licenses. That's fine. They should all do it. But advertising to strangers? No way.

Best post ever MaggieD....kudos to you on this one! :thumbs::thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom