• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why Not Special Plates/Stickers for Gun Owners?

Would it be useful to have special license plates or stickers for gun owners who travel with their guns? That way law enforcement would immediately know they were dealing with a gun carrying motorist, even before they pull them over.

No. The law says that you are supposed to inform an officer if you are carrying, so just follow the law.

No. The law says that you are supposed to inform an officer if you are carrying, so just follow the law.

Depends on the state. Florida does not have a duty to inform. If the officers asks, you have to inform, but only if asked. You don't have to volunteer the information.

Personally? I only volunteer if I am in a traffic stop or something along those lines. If, say, I am asking an officer to point me towards something...I don't inform.

Depends on the state. Florida does not have a duty to inform. If the officers asks, you have to inform, but only if asked. You don't have to volunteer the information.

Then there's still no need for an ID sticker that just makes your car a target for break in.

I'm talking about danger to law-abiding person who gets shot by law enforcement who were spooked that citizen had a gun. That's one of the things in the news right now. Minnesota officer is making legal defense argument that they were fearful because motorist informed him he had a gun. Is officer lying?

When officer can be heard screaming on video, "I-I told him not to reach for it!" was he referring to cigarettes? It seems to me he was referring to gun that motorist told him he had.

Does this happen alot or was this a rarity? Is it a problem really?

Would it be useful to have special license plates or stickers for gun owners who travel with their guns? That way law enforcement would immediately know they were dealing with a gun carrying motorist, even before they pull them over.

Divide and rule?

The point of carry is to not be noticed.

The ol' scarlet letter, huh? But no, we shouldn't do this at all.

How about a scarlet G tattoo'd on their foreheads? Hats, long hair, concealment of the G would be punishable by long prison sentences. See, this way police could easily ID who has a weapon, and civilians would know who to report if they act the least bit suspicious. Any gun owner that would balk at this obviously doesn't care about their fellow citizens, the police or the rule of law!

View attachment 67204390

Do you stop and think before you post such things?

Criminals would love it. When they saw an unattended car with such a sticker, they'd know there were "free guns inside". :roll:

How about requiring all CCW's to get a tattoo on their forehead? The scarlet "G" for gun I suppose. THAT wouldn't violate anyone's rights... nobody important anyway...

Oh ****... I hadn't even scrolled down.

That's amazing.

Just. No.

I may or may not be carrying my gun, first of all. Secondly, stolen guns are a valuable commodity. I don't want to inadvertently put a target on my back.

Hands on steering wheel. I have a legal firearm in a holster in my waistband. Obey the officer's instructions to the letter. Remember, he just wants to make it home at the end of his shift.

Some, not all, jurisdictions correlate licenses and registrations to driver's licenses. That's fine. They should all do it. But advertising to strangers? No way.

It could (would?) also allow criminals to target them for break ins since stolen guns are very marketable. It may be best not to advertise that your (parked) vehicle is more likely to contain highly desirable cargo.

That's why I always laugh at the idiots with the "This truck protected by Smith and Wesson." or the big high-end stereo company stickers across their back windows. Just go ahead and make it easy for the criminals to figure out which cars to break into...

Wait - I thought the pro-gun argument is that carrying a gun makes you safer, rather than putting you at greater risk for being attacked. When someone has a sticker on their home window advertising they have a security-system, it doesn't increase the risk of being burgled. But now you're telling me that advertising that you're carrying a gun increases your risk of being attacked. To me, that's a contradictory argument compared to what pro-gun people usually say. So according to what you've said, the gun has no deterrent value, and advertising that you're carrying a gun just means you're at greater risk, not lesser risk.

This undermines the pro-gun argument.

Wrong.... Having a home security system tells criminals that the home is monitored. Having a sticker on your car tells criminals that if the vehicle is occupied, stay away otherwise specifically target it. It's the presence of a source of security vs. the presence of a valuable commodity.

How about we have special plates for Stupid people, then the cops and every other driver will know they are dealing with an idiot and to be wary.

Wrong.... Having a home security system tells criminals that the home is monitored. Having a sticker on your car tells criminals that if the vehicle is occupied, stay away otherwise specifically target it. It's the presence of a source of security vs. the presence of a valuable commodity.

I don't mind advertising a home security system. That's completely different and not what I said.

Do you carry a gun in your car? Do you have a sign in the rear window announcing it? If not, why not? One doesnt need special plates, you know.

I'm not wrong. We have differing opinions. SURPRISE! There's a difference. ;)

Just. No.

I may or may not be carrying my gun, first of all. Secondly, stolen guns are a valuable commodity. I don't want to inadvertently put a target on my back.

Hands on steering wheel. I have a legal firearm in a holster in my waistband. Obey the officer's instructions to the letter. Remember, he just wants to make it home at the end of his shift.

Some, not all, jurisdictions correlate licenses and registrations to driver's licenses. That's fine. They should all do it. But advertising to strangers? No way.

I don't mind advertising a home security system. That's completely different and not what I said.

Do you carry a gun in your car? Do you have a sign in the rear window announcing it? If not, why not? One doesnt need special plates, you know.

Sorry, Maggie, I screwed up the multi-quote and included you in a quote that I didn't mean to....:3oops:

Edit: WTH - There your post is again....:confused:

Just. No.

Getting home safely should be the goal of every person involved in a traffic stop. That goal is most likely to be achieved by everyone staying calm and respectful. Let the police know you have a weapon, show your permit along with the DL. Remember his last name is sir or ma'am, It's always worked for me.

In Va and NC the information is available when the license is run, and sometimes before. Last time I got stopped, for a missing sticker, the LEO knew my name, my CCL status, and the fact I had the sticker before walking to my car.

No, until cars are being issued CCL's they need not identify themselves as carriers.

Getting home safely should be the goal of every person involved in a traffic stop. That goal is most likely to be achieved by everyone staying calm and respectful. Let the police know you have a weapon, show your permit along with the DL. Remember his last name is sir or ma'am, It's always worked for me.

In Va and NC the information is available when the license is run, and sometimes before. Last time I got stopped, for a missing sticker, the LEO knew my name, my CCL status, and the fact I had the sticker before walking to my car.

No, until cars are being issued CCL's they need not identify themselves as carriers.

Your last line reminds me of something my late husband used to say. We'd be headed to someone's home for dinner, and I'd ask him to pull into the store for a bouquet of flowers. He'd often say, "You don't need to do that.” To which I'd respond, Yes, but it's so thoughtful when I do."

I had friends in Texas that had a gun rack in the back window of there pick-up with guns in it. Never a problem. However they did not leave there truck parked in the inner-city where cops have their police cars stolen while they are in someones home taking information on a crime.

How about one of those stickers like the "Baby on Board" stickers? It could say, "Coward on Board."

no...more like " old, fat, lazy bastard on board ".

I have no inclination to go fisticuffs with some fit young kid with a good back, on the side of the road.

I would rather blow their friggin brains out as the approach me in a life-threatening manner, then call the cops and wait for the meat wagon.

You see, I have NOTHING to prove to anyone by getting in a roadside brawl with some lunatic.

My TEXAS DISABLED VETERAN tags and .45 say I don't have to.

Pfft. I would never advertise I'm carrying a gun. Why would I make myself a target? In fact, cops off duty don't advertise they have guns. Why would I? When I moved into my house, the previous owner had an NRA sticker in his window. He didn't have guns. I took it down. How silly to advertise you have guns!

My gun bag is generic. The only people who probably realize I have a gun and ammo in it are other gun owners. I don't have to advertise. I just have to be a crack shot. And I am.

I do that too. I found my FAL or M14 fit just fine in a guitar case, not one of those long rifle cases with the pouches on the side that scream RIFLE!

So then don't leave your damn gun lying around where people can get at it. If it's not on your person, then it should be locked safely in a vault. What you want is the freedom to leave your gun lying around irresponsibly, for the sake of convenience. Why should irresponsibility be made convenient?

Haven't you heard of that saying, "With great power comes great responsibility" - don't you see a gun as having great power to take someone's life away? Therefore there needs to be a lot of responsibility and not cavalier behavior, when owning a gun.

Pro-gun advocates certainly create the impression that they regard life as cheap - just as long as it's someone else's life other than their own.

Freedom to own/bear something should not necessarily equate to convenience - because responsibility is not about convenience. Freedom and responsibility go hand in hand, not freedom and convenience.

Last edited:

LOL...

Ideas produce from ignorance.

With today's technology, the police run the cars plate before they step out. They already know if the car is owned by a permit owner. Requiring such things only encourage criminals to stalk such people, to find weapons to steal.

In the end, you are advocating putting more guns in the hands of criminals!

Last edited:
In Texas you need no such permit to have a gun in your vehicle.

Having guns in a vehicle in probably any state doesn't require you to have a permit. The permit is for concealed carry. Just transporting them is a different matter.

Nobody should be killed for being disrespectful. Nowhere in the US constitution does it say your rights or your life at the hands of the state are predicated on your being respectful to the state. Respectful is a broad and ambiguous word, which is open to abuse in its interpretation. Nobody should have to kiss someone else's ring just to keep their life. If you believe otherwise, then you believe life is cheap.

Nobody should be killed for being disrespectful. Nowhere in the US constitution does it say your rights or your life at the hands of the state are predicated on your being respectful to the state. Respectful is a broad and ambiguous word, which is open to abuse in its interpretation. Nobody should have to kiss someone else's ring just to keep their life. If you believe otherwise, then you believe life is cheap.

It's not a question of should, it's of reality. I'll take my chances with respectful.

It's not a question of should, it's of reality. I'll take my chances with respectful.

Likewise, many would say "I'll take my chances with regulation" - better than increasing the number of situations where you could lose your life.

Self-defense advocacy needs to focus more on non-lethal means. By always jumping for lethality, you're saying that life is cheap.

Back
Top Bottom