• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why must it be Single Malt? What's wrong with Blended Whisky?

HOWEVER - just as it is with wines, other spirits are also often subjected to blind tastings, and when a consensus of educated palates agree about the superiority of something, it becomes damned likely that it is simply "better". Of course, it goes without saying that it doesn't matter which is the better orange when you're comparing apples to oranges. If what your taste craves is the best apple, the best orange simply won't do.

That is not really a HOWEVER.

Better blended whiskies could exist.
But it is just not done. It is not produced.
Nobody would pay the higher price.

There is a lot more foolish snobbery in the field of whisky than there is in the field of wine.

A pity.

I have now opened a thread of its own with this question.

There is nothing wrong with blended whisky but a single malt, especially a single barrel single malt, tells a story that no blend can ever compare to.

Yes, I know that all snobs dislike blended whiskies.

?? I like other blends, but not Tullamore Dew. I like Jamesons and Black Bush, for example.

My favorite single barrel is Redbreast.

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

That is not really a HOWEVER.

Better blended whiskies could exist.
But it is just not done. It is not produced.
Nobody would pay the higher price.

There is a lot more foolish snobbery in the field of whisky than there is in the field of wine.

A pity.

The wine industry is making it worthwhile.

This is the barely coherent and grammatically inept speech of a man who desperately wants to be able to claim that he "cured coronavirus."

That's it, in a nutshell. When we do get a handle on this crisis, he wants to be able to pull out footage and declare "I called it! I said use this! I said try this! I told them to do this, it was my idea!" He's just doing it with lots of stupid stuff because he doesnt want to miss an opportunity. He's afraid 'the big one' will be mentioned and he wont get credit for it.

It's all about declaring himself the savior of the cv crisis and we'll hear all about it, esp in his campaign. (Which is basically each of his press briefings these days) --- Lursa

"Single Malt only" lovers are like those terrible snobbish snobs who pretend that they never drink anything but the most expensive French wine every day.

Und nothing less than Château Pétrus.

Pfft!! The little people all prefer Bordeaux. For me, there is nothing more compelling than a fine Bordeaux and nothing less than Romanee-Conti will do!

but a single malt, especially a single barrel single malt, tells a story that no blend can ever compare to.

I dis-agree.
See above.

A single malt could be quite bad - in theory.
But then it would just not be marketed.
Just as better blended whiskies are not marketed.

It is all just a matter of marketing.

Pfft!! The little people all prefer Bordeaux. For me, there is nothing more compelling than a fine Bordeaux and nothing less than Romanee-Conti will do!

You stiil do not see my point.
You are talking beside the point.

Good bye ....

And after 4 or 5 shots who the hell can honestly taste the difference, or even care what they are drinking?

I once thought something similar. So I bought a bottle of Crown Royal and a Macallan 12 Year Sherry Oak Cask and traded sips.

You should try that. Something else to try, as a gift to yourself. Go buy a $200 bottle of something for a birthday,Christmas, New Years.

Do it. I'm warning you...it's crack.

May I ask again:

Just as a cuvée may be better than a single-grape-wine - why can't a blended whisky not also be better than a single malt in some cases?

Many of the best Champagnes are a cuvee. For example, Veuve Clicquot Brut is a fine champagne and quite affordable.

You stiil do not see my point.
You are talking beside the point.

Good bye ....

Hahaha...dude, relax. It's all subjective, man. We're talking about liking flavors and things. It's okay.

Many of the best Champagnes are a cuvee. For example, Veuve Clicquot Brut is a fine champagne and quite affordable.

I like Brut's, my wife like Peach Moscato. That's how unrefined we are. I'd love to learn more about wines, because I DO love some reds and Merlot's. My wife, not so much, so I dont get to drink much because I don't want to open and try to close a half bottle.

So mostly I stick to a wide variety of beers, scotch and cognac.

I dis-agree.
See above.

A single malt could be quite bad - in theory.
But then it would just not be marketed.
Just as better blended whiskies are not marketed.

It is all just a matter of marketing.

I totally agree. Simply being a single malt does not confer greatness on a whisky. Being a great whisky is the key and many people don't understand exactly what a "single malt" is. Many people assume that a "single malt" is the same as a "single barrel" and that a "single barrel" means a drop from a single run of whisky. That isn't exactly the case.

A "single malt" does not mean a single run from a single distillery. It merely means that the drop came from a single distillery. It may well be a blend from different barrels at different stages of maturity but all from a single distiller. It's a marketing thing. A 15 year old single malt, for example, merely means that the bottle is the product of various barrels, none of which are less than 15 years old.

In many cases there will be a great barrel involved as well as a few lesser barrels. The more of the great barrel the better the whisky. For example, I have a bottle of Glenfarclas 25 that is a fine whisky but, frankly, it's quite understated for a 25 y/o. The Yamazaki 12 that I have is an absolutely fantastic whisky that stands up for itself across the board. Both are single malts but the Yamazaki stands head and shoulders above it's decade plus older European cousin.

The Yamazaki 12 that I have is an absolutely fantastic whisky that stands up for itself across the board.

Is it sweet? Peaty? something different?

I like Brut's, my wife like Peach Moscato. That's how unrefined we are. I'd love to learn more about wines, because I DO love some reds and Merlot's. My wife, not so much, so I dont get to drink much because I don't want to open and try to close a half bottle.

So mostly I stick to a wide variety of beers, scotch and cognac.

It does no good to buy and drink something you don't like.

My "thing" is Italian wines from central Italy. I love some of the Brunellos but, frankly, I've had table versions of Sangiovese that are outstanding and more approachable for the common consumer.

Is it sweet? Peaty? something different?

The Yamizaki is more floral and fruity. I'd never call it sweet. It's aged primarily in ex bourbon casks, just like Scot Whisky but it isn't peated.

If you can't get your hands on this (it isn't easy to find) try to fine Hibiki Harmony. It won't have the Yamizaki "completeness" but it's an outstanding drop for the money.

It does no good to buy and drink something you don't like.

My "thing" is Italian wines from central Italy. I love some of the Brunellos but, frankly, I've had table versions of Sangiovese that are outstanding and more approachable for the common consumer.

I'm completely uneducated in wine. I buy labels and slogans at price points. I ask for recommendations onsite and sometimes get lucky.

I tend to like the dry reds, but some times I like fruity, but not sweet. I love wine with beef, but I'll drink a cold bubbly white or pale with my wife. I look at it as soda.

I totally agree. Simply being a single malt does not confer greatness on a whisky. Being a great whisky is the key and many people don't understand exactly what a "single malt" is. Many people assume that a "single malt" is the same as a "single barrel" and that a "single barrel" means a drop from a single run of whisky. That isn't exactly the case.

A "single malt" does not mean a single run from a single distillery. It merely means that the drop came from a single distillery. It may well be a blend from different barrels at different stages of maturity but all from a single distiller. It's a marketing thing. A 15 year old single malt, for example, merely means that the bottle is the product of various barrels, none of which are less than 15 years old.

I see that we agree! :peace

Exactly! :peace

lol - I found this strikingly funny. You say there's "nothing more compelling than a fine Bordeaux" - but then, as an example, "nothing less than Romanee-Conti will do!"

And Romanee-Conti isn't even a Bordeaux! It's a BURGUNDY!! The shape of the bottle alone should have given that away.

Perhaps you misspoke.

If you are ever in DC area, head over to Jack Rose Dining Saloon on 18th St NW

Jack Rose Dining Saloon | Washington, DC

Has to be one of the finest whiskey bar/restaurants i have ever had the pleasure of being in

The owner and staff are extraordinary in their love of whiskeys and pairings with food

It is closed of course right now....but HIGHLY recommend....

And i prefer good whiskey or bourbon...i like them ALL

The give away here is the absence of a year on the label. Veuve is Madam Cliquot's remarkably consistent "non-vintage" - a stellar example of a vintner's ability to blend many barrels across the span of years - both good years and bad years - to produce a fine drinkable Champagne. I just happen to have a bottle in the fridge right now.

But as an aside, allow me to share a really fun thing to do when if you entertain in the summer - and something that highlights the entire discussion about how varied people's tastes can be. It's not an entirely original idea - I picked it up from some friends who used to do this annually - and everyone always looked forward to it.

Announce to your friends that you're having a "Champagne garden party" and that they're invited. The reason will become clear.
Buy a case of a very dry, very inexpensive bubbly. Something like Segura Viudas Brut Reserva will do, which can be had for less than $10/bottle, and be sure it's cold enough.
Go out and buy however large a variety of suitable fruits - sliced oranges and apples, peaches and apricots, and especially every seasonal berry you can find - arrayed on plates in front of the following liqueurs.

Buy a bunch of different flavored cordials. You'll need to have a selection of the obvious go-to's on hand - like Creme de Cassis, Chambord, Grand Marnier, Pimms #1 Cup, etc, but also reach out there to some of the less common Alize's - and juice, if people just prefer Mimosa's. And it helps to have a few dozen champagne flutes on hand, too. These can even be rented - at least I recall being able to once-upon-a-time.

The idea is that all of these ingredients are arrayed so that people can make their own champagne cocktails. You never have to be "the bartender" at this "Champagne garden party" because all you're offering is inexpensive champagne - and whatever possible flavor floats people's boats. They can experiment - sample flavors they never considered buying before. Make their own drinks strong - or subtle. Find what they like, and settle down with it for the day. Don't even offer beer or hard spirits. If people ask, just remind everyone that it's a "Champagne garden party".

In the end, everyone will be left with the impression that they've attended something very refined and luxurious. Something about walking around with only a flute in your hand seems to create that impression.

I have now opened a thread of its own with this question.

Next one will be Scotch vs Irish vs Japanese vs US vs Canadian Whisky... apparently they're all the same.......

Next one will be Scotch vs Irish vs Japanese vs US vs Canadian Whisky... apparently they're all the same.......

That's a differerent kettle of fish altogether.
Has nothinh to do with with topic.
But you may start a new thread with it.

Back
Top Bottom