• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why must it be Single Malt? What's wrong with Blended Whisky?

That's a differerent kettle of fish altogether.
Has nothinh to do with with topic.
But you may start a new thread with it.

Don't worry - I won't. I just noticed your favourite blend was an Irish Whisky...

That is not really a HOWEVER.

Better blended whiskies could exist.
But it is just not done. It is not produced.
Nobody would pay the higher price.

I don't know. Have you seen the prices people are willing to pay for very exclusive spirits?

There is a lot more foolish snobbery in the field of whisky than there is in the field of wine.

That's almost impossible to even imagine.

Have you seen the prices people are willing to pay for very exclusive spirits?

Of course!
But as "blended" has the image of "cheap" and is without snob appeal, nobody would want to pay a higher price for it.

Of course!
But as "blended" has the image of "cheap" and is without snob appeal, nobody would want to pay a higher price for it.

I don't know why it would be. It is certainly not the case with wine. Bottles of Bordeaux from First Growth French estates - what the Brits call claret - often sell for thousands of dollars - and most of them are blended wines that include cabernet sauvignon, cabernet franc, merlot, petit verdot and malbec.

Bottles of Bordeaux from First Growth French estates - what the Brits call claret - often sell for thousands of dollars - and most of them are blended wines that include cabernet sauvignon, cabernet franc, merlot, petit verdot and malbec.

You are talking of WINE now.

I was talking of WHISKY!

And I am not opposed to blended whisky - nor opposed to blended wine, for that matter.

That's why I opened this thread

I have now opened a thread of its own with this question.

I imagine it's probably related to taste. It seems a lot of people are just fine with blended whiskey.

To me generally speaking drinking whiskey is like drinking gasoline. My one exception is a few scotches that I think generally are blended.

But Chivas and Johnnie Walker blue label and all these Nancy whiskeys you can have them.

I stick to my dark spiced rum, wine and beer and a very occasional glass of scotch.

Exactly!
And I suspect that many of those "Single Malt" Shouters have no idea about Whisky - but have heard from some pampered snob with too much money that you must say "Single Malt only" to pass yourself off as a Connaisseur.

It all depends!

You may be right. My brother took a temp job as a barman at a local golf club in Scotland. The pride of the nineteenth hole was a gantry of 90 different whiskies, all of which were refilled by the head barman with some very ordinary Bells blend.

You may be right. My brother took a temp job as a barman at a local golf club in Scotland. The pride of the nineteenth hole was a gantry of 90 different whiskies, all of which were refilled by the head barman with some very ordinary Bells blend.

Ah, he could have saved money and used an Irish blended whisky...

We Scots are very sniffy about substitute whisky drinks spelled with an "e"!

I know, but the golf-playing connosieurs that can't tell the difference between a blended whisky and a single malt wouldn't spot the difference between an Irish blend or a Scottish blend.

:mrgreen::lamo

And I am sure lots of snobbish "connaisseurs" admired all the diifferent notes in them. :cool:

The Yamizaki is more floral and fruity. I'd never call it sweet. It's aged primarily in ex bourbon casks, just like Scot Whisky but it isn't peated.

If you can't get your hands on this (it isn't easy to find) try to fine Hibiki Harmony. It won't have the Yamizaki "completeness" but it's an outstanding drop for the money.

I got a bottle of Hibiki for Father's Day.

Excellent.

I have now opened a thread of its own with this question.

Nothing wrong with either one. But it's fun to smell/taste 2 single malts and get different smells and tastes and then try to figure out what the two distilleries did to make them taste different. Whiskey heads love to compare, and it's easier to compare single to singles because alot of the time you don't know what and how much went into a blend.

Back
Top Bottom