• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why liberals are better than conservatives

Taking care of the old is part of morality and a social obligation.
You didn't answer the question:
Don't you object to having someone else's morality forced upon you?

tolerant-liberals.jpg

Give me an example.
Don't dodge -- the only way you can answer 'no' is if you argue that you are willing to accept any and every action based on any and every morality forced upon you.

You can't think of just ONE moral position you would not object to being forced to adhere to?

Don't dodge -- the only way you can answer 'no' is if you argue that you are willing to accept any and every action based on any and every morality forced upon you.

You can't think of just ONE moral position you would not object to being forced to adhere to?

I can think of several. I suspect we'll differ on what "forcing morality" on someone means, but for the sake of argument, yes.

I can think of several.
Well then - you can certainly understand someone taking exception to, by virtue of having to pay for supporting people in difficult positions, being forced to adhere to someone else's morality as well.

dan is SANE and is, to me, a real conservative. he's the kind of person who will debate and discuss without rancor. he also manages to think for himself, which is a rare quality.

Dana is one of the few real conservatives on this site. Most people who scream the loudest at being "conservative" are the ones who reject the concept of a small limited government (which is the core of the conservative platform) in favor of huge government, huge big brother in the social arena and in so-called "homeland security".

Completely wrong. Most liberals are fine with and will actually fight for anyone's right to have whatever whacked out right-wing beliefs that you want to have, unless and until you try to foist those beliefs in a way that directly affect other individuals lives.

Just curious:

How, exactly, did President Obama save our Supreme Court from right-wing extremists?

That's an easy one. Had McCain been elected, he would have sought out right-wing activist judges that would have tilted the Supreme Court so far to the right that I would not have seen it recover in my lifetime.

Obama's appointment have ensured that at least for my lifetime, we will not have a Supreme Court that seeks to impose a right-wing agenda, that Scalia, Alito, Roberts and Thomas want to pursue.

I thank GOD every day for Obama for saving our Supreme Court.

While I personally, would have preferred that he appoint more liberal judges to balance out the four on the extreme right, I'm ok with a moderate court.

The only time I part ways with my conservative collegues is mostly just when the social conservatives slither out from under their rocks and demand that society go by THEIR rules and definition of morals. Or when they put the big corporations over the needs of the people. Few in number, perhaps, but big on whine.

Other than that, I am a pro-life, gun totin', NASCAR watchin', Toby Keith lovin', anti-government cheese, proud veteran, flag wavin' conservative all the way down the line. But that still don't stop the whackos from callin' me liberal. But hell, they call EVERYBODY liberal.

The kind of conservative I disapporove of can be found saying, "If you got nothing to hide then big brother tapping your phone shouldn't bother you." You all know what I'm saying. The kind that always turn pertinent issues into whether queers should get married or not. You know the type. It is embarassing to hear them claim the title of conservative. I wish they would just shut the **** up. They make the rest of us look bad.

The only time I part ways with my conservative collegues is mostly just when the social conservatives slither out from under their rocks and demand that society go by THEIR rules and definition of morals.
That's perfectly reasonable - and I am sure that those on the left are happy to agree.
What those on the left either dont understand, refuse to believe or refuse to admit, however, is that THEY are perfectly happy to impose THEIR morality on others.

The kind of conservative I disapporove of can be found saying, "If you got nothing to hide then big brother tapping your phone shouldn't bother you."
Agreed.
However, this is the one of the arguments that the left make when they discuss background chrcks for gun purchases.

That's an easy one. Had McCain been elected, he would have sought out right-wing activist judges that would have tilted the Supreme Court so far to the right that I would not have seen it recover in my lifetime.
The court - thank God for GWB - already has a right-leaning majority. The Obama didnt do anything but trade one whacked liberal with another.

So, if you need to extend an argument to 'protecting us from what McCain (who everyone knows is FAR from right wing) might have done' in order to find a cheering point for your guy -- more power to you!

The court - thank God for GWB - already has a right-leaning majority. The Obama didnt do anything but trade one whacked liberal with another.

So, if you need to extend an argument to 'protecting us from what McCain (who everyone knows is FAR from right wing) might have done' in order to find a cheering point for your guy -- more power to you!

You fail to recognize the significance. First off...I never said McCain was right-wing, but he indicated that he would appoint far-right justices. Perhaps he said this to cater to the right-wing, but I have to believe that he meant it.
Second - it doesnt matter that Obama replaced a liberals on the court with moderates. Had Obama NOT been President, the likelihood is that McCain would have appointed justice much more far to the right, if not completely right-wing. Obama being President prevented this.
Third - Obama was smart, like GWB in appointing fairly young justices, which ensures their "lifetime appointment" will carry through for much of the rest of my life.
There is also a strong likelihood that Obama may even get another appointment within the next two years, further cementing the inability of the right-wing to overthrow the court.

The Court is not right-leaning at this time. It is very moderate, which despite my hard-left political leanings, is where the court should be. The whole point of the Supreme Court is that they not have a political agenda one way or the other. While personally, I would love justices who share my liberal beliefs, I understand that it is better for the Court and the Country that they don't.

The best chance that the right-wing had of getting a right-wing activist court was lost when Obama was elected. That is why I thank GOD every day for President Obama.

Last edited:
That's perfectly reasonable - and I am sure that those on the left are happy to agree.
What those on the left either dont understand, refuse to believe or refuse to admit, however, is that THEY are perfectly happy to impose THEIR morality on others.

Agreed.
However, this is the one of the arguments that the left make when they discuss background chrcks for gun purchases.

I'm sure your right, but can you give me a better idea what you mean about the liberals forcing their morals on me? Maybe I missed it somewhere. I don't think that letting queers marry forces me to marry a queer. To what do you refer Goobie?

In regard to gun control, I think that only the most extreme of tree-huggers wanna come and take my guns. My deer camp is pretty much 1/2 liberal and 1/2 conservatives. That's ONE weekend we're all able to put our politics aside.

Awesome article, thanks for the lead.

I thought I would throw out some red meat for the plutocracy conservatives here.

I will say that I don't have anything against real conservatives. In fact I agree with much of what they say. An example of a real conservative would be Danarhea, OK?

So, radical conservatives feel free to post from your favorite conservative sites.

Let's fight.:gunsmilie :poke:boxer

Why Being Liberal Really Is Better Than Being Conservative | | AlterNet

Well then - you can certainly understand someone taking exception to, by virtue of having to pay for supporting people in difficult positions, being forced to adhere to someone else's morality as well.

Pretty much everyone agrees that people who really can't support themselves ought to be taken care of one way or another. The disagreement is about how it should be done and whether the government should be involved. If you're talking about someone who seriously doesn't see the moral value in caring for the less fortunate, that person would have basically a sociopathic worldview, which is not something that needs to carry a lot of weight politically.

Obama's appointment have ensured that at least for my lifetime, we will not have a Supreme Court that seeks to impose a right-wing agenda, that Scalia, Alito, Roberts and Thomas want to pursue.

I thank GOD every day for Obama for saving our Supreme Court.

While I personally, would have preferred that he appoint more liberal judges to balance out the four on the extreme right, I'm ok with a moderate court.

far right-ie interpreting the second amendment in a manner consistent with 97% of the leading scholars>

I worry about appointing women to the court who do not have children. They have no stake in the future. People like that I do not trust.

You fail to recognize the significance. First off...I never said McCain was right-wing, but he indicated that he would appoint far-right justices. Perhaps he said this to cater to the right-wing, but I have to believe that he meant it.
Second - it doesnt matter that Obama replaced a liberals on the court with moderates. Had Obama NOT been President, the likelihood is that McCain would have appointed justice much more far to the right, if not completely right-wing. Obama being President prevented this.
Third - Obama was smart, like GWB in appointing fairly young justices, which ensures their "lifetime appointment" will carry through for much of the rest of my life.
There is also a strong likelihood that Obama may even get another appointment within the next two years, further cementing the inability of the right-wing to overthrow the court.

The Court is not right-leaning at this time. It is very moderate, which despite my hard-left political leanings, is where the court should be. The whole point of the Supreme Court is that they not have a political agenda one way or the other. While personally, I would love justices who share my liberal beliefs, I understand that it is better for the Court and the Country that they don't.

The best chance that the right-wing had of getting a right-wing activist court was lost when Obama was elected. That is why I thank GOD every day for President Obama.

only someone Moonbat Left would call Alito and Roberts hard right

Completely wrong. Most liberals are fine with and will actually fight for anyone's right to have whatever whacked out right-wing beliefs that you want to have, unless and until you try to foist those beliefs in a way that directly affect other individuals lives.

complete nonsense

How many times have liberal speakers been attacked or had their presentations disrupted by conservatives in schools? How many times have liberal papers been vandalized at colleges? Libs tried to block NRA ads that advocated people possessing handguns for self defense. LIbs want the fairness doctrine which essentially forces marketable Conservative talk shows to give time to libs who cannot succeed in a free market.

Libs are basically control freaks

complete nonsense

How many times have liberal speakers been attacked or had their presentations disrupted by conservatives in schools? How many times have liberal papers been vandalized at colleges? Libs tried to block NRA ads that advocated people possessing handguns for self defense. LIbs want the fairness doctrine which essentially forces marketable Conservative talk shows to give time to libs who cannot succeed in a free market.

Libs are basically control freaks

It runs both ways. I've heard plenty of conservatives wanting to shut down any opinions that they don't agree with... and call them un-American to boot. Both you and disney are talking about the extremists of each lean. If you want to base your assertions on these extremists, your assertions are going to be both skewed and incorrect.

That's not my problem. I am not working my butt off to pay for some family's negligence of their elderly.

They laughed and were extremely non-committal. ;)

I think this sums up my issue with many conservative approaches to solving issues that plague society... It's one thing to say that private institutions should deal with a problem, but when pointed out that private institutions can't or won't solve the issue, it's "not my problem."

Agreed.

If we used this logic, isn't your attempts to try to remove government programs in the name of "rugged individualism" or however you sell it YOU trying to impose your morality?

Back
Top Bottom