• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why is this still an issue?

maquiscat

Maquis Admiral
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
1602940208588.png

I saw the above on FB, and I have to wonder how such laws are still in effect given RvW. The ruling in RvW did not limit itself to abortion (and hence why this is not in the abortion section), but stated that all medical decisions were between a person and their doctor.

Now I understand that there have been several federal level rulings that make such laws unconstitutional, but they are not universal such as abortion laws being unconstitutional are. Where is the fight for this, ladies? Why is there such a big fuss if someone tries to limit abortion, but nowhere near a riot for these types of laws?

View attachment 67299982

I saw the above on FB, and I have to wonder how such laws are still in effect given RvW. The ruling in RvW did not limit itself to abortion (and hence why this is not in the abortion section), but stated that all medical decisions were between a person and their doctor.

Now I understand that there have been several federal level rulings that make such laws unconstitutional, but they are not universal such as abortion laws being unconstitutional are. Where is the fight for this, ladies? Why is there such a big fuss if someone tries to limit abortion, but nowhere near a riot for these types of laws?
Have you verified this story?

Not this specific story, but I have heard from women personally who have had this issue, and run across multiple such stories online. Now, I'm suspect that any laws quoted are either no longer valid or are technically valid, but rarely enforced. But it is still a fight for women to get such procedures, especially young and/or childless.

Not this specific story, but I have heard from women personally who have had this issue, and run across multiple such stories online. Now, I'm suspect that any laws quoted are either no longer valid or are technically valid, but rarely enforced. But it is still a fight for women to get such procedures, especially young and/or childless.
I don't think any doctor in their right mind would refuse to do this for a woman who is placed at high risk through pregnancy. It doesn't make sense.

Yes, it’s extremely common for women to run into exactly this. They try to get Their tubes tied and doctors refuse to do it based on these absurd premises. Literally, that a man has to approve of them doing it.

I don't think any doctor in their right mind would refuse to do this for a woman who is placed at high risk through pregnancy. It doesn't make sense.
This is what happens when conservative men, who see us only as baby makers, get to have a say into our medical and reproductive decisions. This scenario is very common.

Is Snopes good enough for you?

Last edited:
My wife had her tubes tied after our third child, it was her choice and the doctors never asked my opinion or consent. What year did the story above supposedly take place? Roe made a woman the master of her decisions regarding her body. At the very least I'd have tried another doctor but the story above doesn't say that was tried either. I need more information.

My wife had her tubes tied after our third child, it was her choice and the doctors never asked my opinion or consent. What year did the story above supposedly take place? Roe made a woman the master of her decisions regarding her body. At the very least I'd have tried another doctor but the story above doesn't say that was tried either. I need more information.
A key to that is third child. If the woman is young or childless, it ends up being a different story. Plus there is no intent here to call this problem universal. I can just as easily go the other way and point to my one wife who's doctor did the surgery despite the (now since long ex) husband's refusal for the procedure. The wife was in danger of dying if she had another. The doctor in this case was female, which, as I understand things, typically don't refuse women even young and childless. It's the male doctors that seem to be the problem more.

A key to that is third child. If the woman is young or childless, it ends up being a different story.
Doubt.
Plus there is no intent here to call this problem universal.
I'm not so sure it even exists. All we have to go on in third have testimony.
I can just as easily go the other way and point to my one wife who's doctor did the surgery despite the (now since long ex) husband's refusal for the procedure. The wife was in danger of dying if she had another. The doctor in this case was female, which, as I understand things, typically don't refuse women even young and childless. It's the male doctors that seem to be the problem more.
I can easily tell you all about my pet dragon what his name is what he eats when he learned to fly. But you aren't going to believe any of it until I show you evidence.

This is what happens when conservative men, who see us only as baby makers, get to have a say into our medical and reproductive decisions. This scenario is very common.
What people lie on the internet?
Is Snopes good enough for you?
No. Fact is the only thing good enough. Present that or I'll dismiss you as lying

Yes, it’s extremely common for women to run into exactly this. They try to get Their tubes tied and doctors refuse to do it based on these absurd premises. Literally, that a man has to approve of them doing it.
So go to another doctor. I don't doubt there are ductus that refuse to do this. They don't have to. But I do doubt that it's extremely common.

What people lie on the internet?
No. Fact is the only thing good enough. Present that or I'll dismiss you as lying
Did you forget that you are on the 'net, or do I need to remind you of that factoid? I could just as soon dismiss your claims that it doesn't happen as lying.

They try to get Their tubes tied and doctors refuse to do it based on these absurd premises. Literally, that a man has to approve of them doing it.
Where did a man's approval get into this?

The reason for it being difficult to do this procedure is obvious and far from absurd. Almost all young women who say they don't want children change their minds later.

View attachment 67299982

It was the case when I was younger and it was bullshit. For the establishment to think they know better, that women cant make good decisions on their own behalf. Not only that...if a woman decides later that it was a mistake...oh well, that's called a 'consequence' and we all have to live with such decisions that we make in life.

And also unfortunate, the procedure is an 'elective' and most health insurances wouldnt cover it.

I think that's fine...but then all that maternity care shouldnt be covered either...people 'elect' to get pregnant.

So go to another doctor. I don't doubt there are ductus that refuse to do this. They don't have to. But I do doubt that it's extremely common.
Where I'm from the strict requirements that are set for a woman wanting this done are general for all. It's not an individual doctor's choice.

The reason for it being difficult to do this procedure is obvious and far from absurd. Almost all young women who say they don't want children change their minds later.
Source this, the bold.

I never did and neither did many of my friends.

Keep that in mind next time you encourage abortion.
They do. And even if it's accidental, they dont have to have the kid. You choose to have sex, there may be consequences and both people, as appropriate, should be held accountable. Abortion, pregnancy, medical bills, lost work time, all consequences. Never have I said people should escape consequences.

I have never ever supported irresponsible sex.

I have never ever supported irresponsible sex.
That sounds unlike you with your innovated "Christianity". You did support homosexual sex, didn't you? That is irresponsible.

Keep that in mind next time you encourage abortion.
In the context of her argument, she didn't call for abortion to be covered by insurance. So red herring.

That sounds unlike you with your innovated "Christianity". You did support homosexual sex, didn't you? That is irresponsible.
There is a difference between supporting something and supporting a person's right to do something. You don't have to support sterilization for sterilization's sake in order to support someone's right to do so.

What's irresponsible about gay sex?

There is a difference between supporting something and supporting a person's right to do something. You don't have to support sterilization for sterilization's sake in order to support someone's right to do so.
I don't support either.

Back
Top Bottom