• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why is it generally more acceptable for women to be bisexual than men?

Anyone want to hazard a guess?

Pam

A woman can still be feminine while appreciating another woman's body.
A man on the other hand cannot remain masculine while... appreciating... a man's body. yuck]
:lamo

Because women say: I would love to have her feet, or her ass or her boobs or her hair or etc.

Men will never say that. When i went to the gym we would have pictures of famous strongmen like arnold or some other people there with their bulky arms and that. We (my friend and I) would much rather make fun of them. When I want to improve my physical condition I don't say: i want that guys arms or abs or such. I say: i want to lose weight, I want to have bigger arms, more defined abs, that sort of things. I only include myself in the agenda in comparison to only myself or my closest friends whom, if I go to the gym with, it becomes a sort of competition.

Also, it is because of the penis.

A man on the other hand cannot remain masculine while... appreciating... a man's body. yuck]

That begs the same question... why?

Pam

I am a bisexual man, I don't really have issues with acceptance, aside from gay men, not all gay men but some.

Not true, I have no trouble maintaining my masculinity even when I am embracing my lover.

No offense, but the thread is about how society judges male vs. female bisexuality, and not how you, as an individual, judge them.

Pam

Last edited:
No offense, but the thread is about how society judges male vs. female bisexuality, and not how you, as an individual, judge them.

Pam

well okay, it seems society is rather indifferent. A couple people say bisexuality doesn't exist, a smaller number say male bisexuality doesn't exist. And an overwhelming majority doesn't care. I don't think society views it.

Because women say: I would love to have her feet, or her ass or her boobs or her hair or etc.

Men will never say that. When i went to the gym we would have pictures of famous strongmen like arnold or some other people there with their bulky arms and that. We (my friend and I) would much rather make fun of them. When I want to improve my physical condition I don't say: i want that guys arms or abs or such. I say: i want to lose weight, I want to have bigger arms, more defined abs, that sort of things. I only include myself in the agenda in comparison to only myself or my closest friends whom, if I go to the gym with, it becomes a sort of competition.

Also, it is because of the penis.

That last line says it all. straight people think that most gay and bi men choose a sexual role with a male partner. The terms bottom (meaning the receiving partner) and the term top (meaning the giving partner) are personified by heterosexuals as taking male and female roles. The male and female dynamic is never part of homosexual male coupling, they are both men, they both take on the male role. In some relationships there is a standard top and bottom, but many are not that way. However heterosexuals have difficulty with this notion especially when one or both in a homosexual couple take on effeminate mannerisms. In a heterosexual persons mind they normally only play one role in sexual intercourse so by the man using his penis to penetrate a woman he sees his role as masculine and her role as feminine. the heterosexual male applies this tinplate to gay sexual intercourse. When both men or neither men are in fact being penetrated.

It is manly to penetrate, not manly to be penetrated, thus is the theory anyway.

Male sexuality is only just starting to be understood as being more than basic. Before I left college I was studying psychology, my main focus was going to be the study of male sexuality, and the effects that homosexual child abuse had on boys and men.

This study into sexuality, and the effect of sexual abuse on children was really disturbing. It seemed people wanted blood when their little girls were sexually assaulted, all through history, rightly so. But only recently as late as the 60s it was considered boys being boys if older boys sexually assulted younger boys.

What dose that mean? It means girls are seen as innocent children, boys are not. Perhaps it is because the genital reactions of boys occur much earlier in boys than in girls. Boys tend to discover masturbation earlier than girls. Perceived by adults as having sexual corruption. While girls remain pure.

It is our view on the sexes, women are seen as things of beauty, men are not. This is to the detriment of both sexes. Women certainly spend more time making themselves pretty, sometimes out goes beyond just farding rituals, and into destructive behavior. It also hurts social structure of the culture for women, if it is most important to be beautiful the women may not see a need or have a desire to obtain practical skills.

It hurts men too, it charges are relationships with unreal expectations. If men are to feel as though they can not be beautiful it becomes a self consious issue. And on occasion there are men with beautiful features that are normally associated with female beauty they tend to be treated as though they are homosexual, really because heterosexual men do find them attractive.

Men are tought that emotion is mostly for women, you can laugh and be angry but other emotions are girly. We are tought this early. In some of my studies men come out to be more emotional than women. We are trained to control it.

Mainly the reason male bisexuality is regarded lesser by society is because bisexual men are seen as sissies or weak, due to the possibility of being penetrated by a penis. Men are supposed to be the warriors and the strength, women are the beauty, bisexual men upset that balance.

...It is manly to penetrate, not manly to be penetrated, thus is the theory anyway....Mainly the reason male bisexuality is regarded lesser by society is because bisexual men are seen as sissies or weak, due to the possibility of being penetrated by a penis. Men are supposed to be the warriors and the strength, women are the beauty, bisexual men upset that balance.

Thank you, that was astute and eloquent.

Pam

Anyone want to hazard a guess?

Pam

Because in the back of most men's minds, they go "wait, this means I can have a threesome!" so they encourage it.

Alternatively, most men are territorial about their penises. Look at all the jokes about urinal etiquette.

Because in the back of most men's minds, they go "wait, this means I can have a threesome!" so they encourage it.

In that case, why don't as many women say, "wait, this means I can have a threesome!"?

Pam

Because a man's sexuality is inherently tied to his masculinity. The more nookie he gets, the more of a man he is. And homosexuality is viewed (and often perpetuated as) as effeminate. So therefore, if a man engages in homosexual behaviour, he is less masculine, and society places far more importance on the masculinity of men than it does the femininity of women. Plus, societal perception is largely male dominated, and lesbians are hawt.

In that case, why don't as many women say, "wait, this means I can have a threesome!"?

Pam

As far as I can tell, by the small sample of men and women I know who I have discussed the situation with, less than 100 and hardly scientific, women and men tend to think of sexuality and sex in different ways. Men tend to be more into the act and women tend to be more into the intimacy of the act. This, of course, may not be true for certain individuals, but in general, this is what I see.

Because of that, the mmf threesome isn't as popular.

lesbians are hawt.

ugly-lesbians.jpg

...women and men tend to think of sexuality and sex in different ways. Men tend to be more into the act and women tend to be more into the intimacy of the act...Because of that, the mmf threesome isn't as popular.

Why does male focus on action and female focus on intimacy mean that mmf threesomes aren't as popular? ("Popular" meaning as commonly practiced as mff threesomes? Or as commonly fantasized about?) Someone made the argument that female bisexuality is more socially accepted because males want to have threesomes with two bisexual females. But females (and hence the female point of view) make up more than one half of the population. If females are more monogamous (is that what you meant by focused on intimacy?), why doesn't the female portion of society's "vote" cancel out the male portion of society's "vote"? We outnumber you.

Pam

Why does male focus on action and female focus on intimacy mean that mmf threesomes aren't as popular? ("Popular" meaning as commonly practiced as mff threesomes? Or as commonly fantasized about?)

No idea, threesomes and bisexuality are not topics I really care all that much about and have not invested the time to think about it beyond noticing my environment.

Someone made the argument that female bisexuality is more socially accepted because males want to have threesomes with two bisexual females. But females (and hence the female point of view) make up more than one half of the population. If females are more monogamous (is that what you meant by focused on intimacy?), why doesn't the female portion of society's "vote" cancel out the male portion of society's "vote"? We outnumber you.

Pam

Our society is culturally a male dominated one.

...homosexuality is viewed... as effeminate. So therefore, if a man engages in homosexual behaviour, he is less masculine, and society places far more importance on the masculinity of men than it does the femininity of women.

Another astute and eloquent post. But, again, I have to ask "why" to the bolded part.

Pam

Another astute and eloquent post. But, again, I have to ask "why" to the bolded part.

Pam

Because Western culture, indeed, most cultures, are male dominated, and are male dominated because of the greater physical strength, and associated characteristics, of men, hence the concept of masculinity is of social importance. The case is less so for women, as the feminist movement reduced much of the stigma associated with female sexuality.

I frankly think it is as simple as how females usually show friendship and affection to other women. Hugging and hand holding and dancing with each other is not unusual between women. The leap to two women kissing and fondling each other just isn't as far as it is with two men. Men watching two hot women getting it on is almost universally sexy. I don't think for women that watching two studly guys get it on is on the same level.

The Bible horrifically condemns male homosexuality but is silent on lesbians. In the Bible, sex means one thing - where the penis goes. Therefore, two women can not have "sex." Of course they can, but not in a "biblical" sense for lack of a real penis. I also highly suspect that was the essential element of harems, concubines, lots of wives etc.If the women couldn't play with each other, it wouldn't work, nor would there be any reason for king, lord, master to care if they did.

Akin to this question is what does polygamy essentially always involve 1 man and multiple women, not visa versa. At a procreation level, 1 man and many women works. But at a sexuality level 1 woman and multiple men makes more sense.

Back
Top Bottom