• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why is it conservatives want to "blow it all up"?

Glen Contrarian

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Bernie to the left of me, Hillary to the right, he
Political Leaning
Progressive
This morning I saw an article in Salon:

Bartlett, a former official in the Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush administrations, supports Trump’s presidential bid, but not because he thinks Trump will Make America Great Again. Instead, he sees Trump as “the surest path to complete and total destruction of the Republican Party as we know it.”

Bartlett identifies as a conservative, but is a harsh critic of the modern GOP, which he says panders to “morons and bigots and racists.” Bartlett predicts that Trump will get trounced in the general election, burning down the rotting structure of the Republican Party in the process and eventually presenting an opportunity for sane conservatives to clear the ashes and start over again. Bartlett lays out his full rationale for supporting Trump in a piece for Politico.

A lifelong Republican wants the "complete and total destruction of the Republican Party as we know it"? But this reminded me of a few things that the Right has said in the past. When the Great Recession was in full swing, I strongly remember how even as we were losing 500K+ jobs month after month after month, the GOP opposed the stimulus in lockstep, saying that "just let the market forces work" and "those businesses that are best-structured and -run will survive, and those who aren't should be going bankrupt anyway", that "after this process is done, America will naturally be even stronger." And then there's the auto bailouts that the Republicans also opposed in lockstep - they wanted to let GM and Chrysler go bankrupt, go into receivership, have their assets sold off, in the fantasy that "somebody" would come along and buy up everything and make it all better again.

Fortunately, a saner mind (Obama's) prevailed, and thanks to the stimulus and the bailout and a host of other measures (pretty much all of which were opposed by the Right), America's had the most robust recovery of any of the first-world democracies that were most hard-hit by the Great Recession, and our auto industry is back to kicking ass and taking names.

But the point is, why is it that time and time and time again, the conservatives "just want to let it all burn down"? Look at Obamacare - instead of tweaking it to make it better (as has been done with Medicare, Medicaid, Welfare, and Social Security), they want to burn it all down, get rid of the entire thing, and start all over again. One can only imagine what they would have thought about a modern-day version of the Marshall Plan!

It's as if the Right, if they've got a tire that has a slow leak, instead of getting the tire patched up and continuing on their merry way, they've just GOT to take off that tire and burn it, and buy a whole doggone new tire at several times the price...and it makes no sense at all.

Maybe because for the last 10 or so years, the Republican establishment has acted too much like the Democrat establishment.

Bartlett, a former official in the Ronald Reagan and George H.W. Bush administrations, supports Trump’s presidential bid, but not because he thinks Trump will Make America Great Again. Instead, he sees Trump as “the surest path to complete and total destruction of the Republican Party as we know it.”

Bartlett identifies as a conservative, but is a harsh critic of the modern GOP, which he says panders to “morons and bigots and racists.” Bartlett predicts that Trump will get trounced in the general election, burning down the rotting structure of the Republican Party in the process and eventually presenting an opportunity for sane conservatives to clear the ashes and start over again. Bartlett lays out his full rationale for supporting Trump in a piece for Politico.

A lifelong Republican wants the "complete and total destruction of the Republican Party as we know it"? But this reminded me of a few things that the Right has said in the past. When the Great Recession was in full swing, I strongly remember how even as we were losing 500K+ jobs month after month after month, the GOP opposed the stimulus in lockstep, saying that "just let the market forces work" and "those businesses that are best-structured and -run will survive, and those who aren't should be going bankrupt anyway", that "after this process is done, America will naturally be even stronger." And then there's the auto bailouts that the Republicans also opposed in lockstep - they wanted to let GM and Chrysler go bankrupt, go into receivership, have their assets sold off, in the fantasy that "somebody" would come along and buy up everything and make it all better again.

Fortunately, a saner mind (Obama's) prevailed, and thanks to the stimulus and the bailout and a host of other measures (pretty much all of which were opposed by the Right), America's had the most robust recovery of any of the first-world democracies that were most hard-hit by the Great Recession, and our auto industry is back to kicking ass and taking names.

But the point is, why is it that time and time and time again, the conservatives "just want to let it all burn down"? Look at Obamacare - instead of tweaking it to make it better (as has been done with Medicare, Medicaid, Welfare, and Social Security), they want to burn it all down, get rid of the entire thing, and start all over again. One can only imagine what they would have thought about a modern-day version of the Marshall Plan!

It's as if the Right, if they've got a tire that has a slow leak, instead of getting the tire patched up and continuing on their merry way, they've just GOT to take off that tire and burn it, and buy a whole doggone new tire at several times the price...and it makes no sense at all.

I don't know that Trump will destroy the Republican party, but he sure better lose.

I don't know that Trump will destroy the Republican party, but he sure better lose.

He will destroy the Republican Party if he wins. If he loses, it will be just another 4 years in opposition - feeding off the failures of either the extremely unpopular bureaucrat or the far-left lunatic.

He will destroy the Republican Party if he wins. If he loses, it will be just another 4 years in opposition - feeding off the failures of either the extremely unpopular bureaucrat or the far-left lunatic.

You make it sound so easy. ;)

The problem here is summed up in your first sentence - "This morning I saw an article in Salon:". If it's Salon and about republicans then it fiction.

Maybe because for the last 10 or so years, the Republican establishment has acted too much like the Democrat establishment.

No, I don't think that a Trump win will destroy the GOP party. I don't think that a Trump loss will either.

The party has already been changed because of Trump and the large number of supporters that he's assembled. It'll change even more if Trump wins. It may change more or it may not if Trump loses.

The GOP party is going to have to recognize that they've been 'off message', if you will, from their electorate for quite some time, and Trump's following nailed it down clear as day, as did the failure and lack of traction from the primary establishment politicians.

The DNC isn't too far behind on this front either. Can you imagine what Bernie's supporters are going to do should Clinton get the nomination at the convention by super delegate vote? If Bernie doesn't send them over to Hillary, they'll stay home in November or vote 3rd party.

It'd be pretty much the same story if Trump doesn't manage to significantly unite the GOP electorate, and leverage as many of the establishment GOP leaders as possible. Likely that he'll get some of them, but not all of them.

I keep thinking that what does it take for other countries to have such significant changes injected into their national politics? In some countries I think it would require an armed up raising of the electorate. In others, such as the commotion in Brazil as of late, not so much - but still, their capital is under lock down during these impeachment proceedings.

Here in the US? No national guards posted. No overwhelming police force unnecessarily being used. I think that in and of itself speaks to the stability of the US system. Don't you?

I agree that things like Obamacare should be tweaked, but I really won't complain if conservatives blow up the Republican party.

The problem here is summed up in your first sentence - "This morning I saw an article in Salon:". If it's Salon and about republicans then it fiction.

The disingenuous thread title leaves out the reality that the article is about one dude, not all Republicans

I agree that things like Obamacare should be tweaked, but I really won't complain if conservatives blow up the Republican party.

What do you expect to become of that?

What do you expect to become of that?

Long pig?

Anyway, it'd be great if both parties were thrown into complete disarray. Not that the situation is fixable...

A " Robust recovery " ???

Barack Obama's Sad Record on Economic Growth | RealClearMarkets
What color is the sky in your World ? Hot pink ???

So the quote is fabricated?

"destroy" is a little farther than i would go, but yeah, it could definitely be worse for Republicans if he wins.

Because right wing radio and the tea party nuts tell them to honestly. Take out some keywords and you'd think they are all democrats.
They hardly ever criticize democrats. All I hear about from them are how bad Republicans are doing.

A " Robust recovery " ???

Barack Obama's Sad Record on Economic Growth | RealClearMarkets
What color is the sky in your World ? Hot pink ???

From Politifact:

Obama said that "the United States of America, right now, has the strongest, most durable economy in the world."

It’s a claim that’s vague and hard to assess, but when comparing the United States to the most advanced economies in the world, one can make a credible case that the United States is in the strongest position, at least "right now." We rate the claim Mostly True.

And let's not forget that under President Obama, we've had positive private-sector job growth EVERY SINGLE MONTH since September 2010, BY FAR the longest such stretch in ALL American history - no other American president comes close to that record. That, sir, is a FACT that you cannot deny.

In other words, you can try to say otherwise all you want...but there's a reason why reality has that liberal bias - because we tend to see things more as they really are.

That's clownboy - if somebody he doesn't like says something, it Must Not Be True. They Must Be Lying, no matter what.

That, people, is precisely why our nation's partisanship is worse than at any time since the Civil War - the conservatives have convinced themselves that no matter what, the liberals never tell the truth about anything, the liberals always lie about everything, and so most conservatives now limit themselves to getting only one side of the story.

So much for teaching our kids to get both - or all - sides of the story.

Back
Top Bottom