• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why does Trump command such support?

manrow

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
He has made such colossal mistakes and even worse demanded such physical support from those who wish to follow him, despite his having vilified all branches of society. In particular he seems to gain considerable female support despite having ridiculed them at every opportunity.

If the American population care about how the rest of the world view them, then they would not support Trump.

Furthermore if America really does advocate democracy, have you considered how the rest of the world view the prospects of democracy if America cannot operate it successfully?

He has made such colossal mistakes and even worse demanded such physical support from those who wish to follow him, despite his having vilified all branches of society. In particular he seems to gain considerable female support despite having ridiculed them at every opportunity.

If the American population care about how the rest of the world view them, then they would not support Trump.

Furthermore if America really does advocate democracy, have you considered how the rest of the world view the prospects of democracy if America cannot operate it successfully?

We are a country founded on white supremacy. It’s still a very powerful, motivating force for large swaths of our population. It is embarrassing for sure.

We are a country founded on white supremacy. It’s still a very powerful, motivating force for large swaths of our population. It is embarrassing for sure.
I'm almost tempted to declare your conclusion as too cynical and simplistic. My default opinion of Americans is that they are good people so I have a hard time accepting that racism could be endemic enough to get a President elected.

But then I think about other countries where racism has had a self-destructive national impact (yes BREXIT I'm looking your way) and have to keep an open mind that you might have nailed it.

I hope you have some free time because you're going to have to defend your position!

He has a lot of support because he had the guts to say things that no other politician would.

He quite rightly said that fake news was the enemy of the people. Many journalists since Watergate consider themselves our masters, who have the duty to teach us subjects how to think.

He refused to kiss the posteriors of various kinds of activists, such as BLM.

His enemies, of course, got their revenge -- thanks to COVID & mail-in ballots.

He may be politically washed up, but there are millions and millions of Americans who are seething with anger, and they will make their feelings known in 2024, for -- we are told -- the election system is the most "secure" in our history.

I think Trump became so popular because he trolls liberals. Listen to or read any conservative media and you realize that the sole focus of it is sneering at or being condescending toward liberals; conservatives don’t really have any ideology anymore other than opposing anything liberals want.

I think Trump voters also have made Trump a part of their identity, to the point that they take extremely personally any slight against or criticism of Trump, as if it were against or of themselves.

I think Trump became so popular because he trolls liberals. Listen to or read any conservative media and you realize that the sole focus of it is sneering at or being condescending toward liberals; conservatives don’t really have any ideology anymore other than opposing anything liberals want.

I think Trump voters also have made Trump a part of their identity, to the point that they take extremely personally any slight against or criticism of Trump, as if it were against or of themselves.
Pretty much, while things are rocky right now, I think conservatism in its current form is dying (but will be replaced with another type of conservatism, as it is human nature and will always be here). I suspect the future you will see things take a more latino and catholic direction.

The post above yours bears out what you're saying. The qualities TheParser sees in Trump ("He quite rightly said that fake news was the enemy of the people, he refused to kiss the posteriors of various kinds of activists, such as BLM.") are hardly skills that you'd expect an effective world leader to exhibit. They would in fact be considered character flaws, but to Trump supporters they are desirable attributes.

Trump has the support he does for vocalizing loudly, proudly and often what those supporters think, MAWA (MakeAmericaWhiteAgain).

The post above yours bears out what you're saying. The qualities TheParser sees in Trump ("He quite rightly said that fake news was the enemy of the people, he refused to kiss the posteriors of various kinds of activists, such as BLM.") are hardly skills that you'd expect an effective world leader to exhibit. They would in fact be considered character flaws, but to Trump supporters they are desirable attributes.
I never understood why people think that kind of bluntness is an attribute in a politician. Effective politicians are diplomats with people who disagree with them, and willing to speak up to the extremists in their own party. Trump inverted that--he consistently (I have trouble thinking of even one counter example) and undiplomatically pushed the most extreme views of his party, and in doing so expanded the opposition against him to a number greater than any other President or politician in history. That is not the record of a successful politician.

The state of our election processes is, as you so accurately observe, despicable. The corruption and malpractice is both engineered and encouraged by the lying thieves we have elected.

It's really a shame that such a good idea is so roundly perverted by the corrupt and corrupting system(s) that have flowed like sewage into those running the place.

Your view of Trump seems to be based on the efforts of the media to distort information and deceive the weak minded. You need to ask yourself why you are in the groups victimized by these efforts.

Things that are vilified are often vilified because they are villainous.

Things that are ridiculed are often ridiculed because they are ridiculous.

The majority of Americans were/are extremely disgusted about how Trump shit on our long term, most trusted allies. Biden is already making major strides to rectify Trump's mistakes, and hopefully things will return to normalcy as soon as possible.

He has a lot of support because he had the guts to say things that no other politician would.

He quite rightly said that fake news was the enemy of the people. Many journalists since Watergate consider themselves our masters, who have the duty to teach us subjects how to think.

He refused to kiss the posteriors of various kinds of activists, such as BLM.

His enemies, of course, got their revenge -- thanks to COVID & mail-in ballots.

He may be politically washed up, but there are millions and millions of Americans who are seething with anger, and they will make their feelings known in 2024, for -- we are told -- the election system is the most "secure" in our history.
We're gonna steal that one too. And there's nothing you can do to stop it!

The state of our election processes is, as you so accurately observe, despicable. The corruption and malpractice is both engineered and encouraged by the lying thieves we have elected.

It's really a shame that such a good idea is so roundly perverted by the corrupt and corrupting system(s) that have flowed like sewage into those running the place.

Your view of Trump seems to be based on the efforts of the media to distort information and deceive the weak minded. You need to ask yourself why you are in the groups victimized by these efforts.

Things that are vilified are often vilified because they are villainous.

Things that are ridiculed are often ridiculed because they are ridiculous.
Like the stolen election lie?

The one no one yet has been able to find a non-conservative media article in support of it in the entire world. Seems with all that "evidence" that somebody somewhere should have run with it.

Personally I don't care how the rest of the world views us.

What colossal mistakes do you speak of???........... I've seen none!!!!!

What I see in Trump is a president who did more for America and Americans then any president since Reagan....After the dumpster fire that was 8 years of Barrack and Joe....Trump rebuilt our economy and put everyone back to work.

Trump made us energy independent and a net exporter of energy for the first time in seemingly forever......Senile joe??? He's actively trying to screw that up

In Trump we finally had a president who took border security seriously .....Senile Joe??? Not so much.....

Covid??? Trump did an amazing job dealing with the pandemic! Put a plan in place and literally moved mountains to get vaccines going and going fast! Senile Joe on the other hand seems clueless of what to do even saying that there's nothing he can do to stop the trajectory of the pandemic.....

Frankly, the list of Trump accomplishments for America and Americans is long and distinguished!

And what do we have to hope for with Senile Joe???? Well down here in Texas we have a Spanish saying about what Senile Joe has planned for us.........Estamos Jodidos Todos Ustedes!

Personally I don't care how the rest of the world views us.
Of course you do. When your President stands up in front of the world touting America's greatness you don't want to hear laughter.

Here's some quotes that might make you realise what a disaster Trump was for the American people:-

Sept. 9:

“He (Trump) knew (about the dangers posed by COVID-19), and purposefully played it down. Worse, he lied to the American people... And while this deadly disease ripped through our nation, he failed to do his job - on purpose. It was a life-and-death betrayal of the American people.”

- Dr. Andrew Pastewski, ICU medical director at Jackson South Medical Center in Miami, July 10:

“It’s just disheartening because the selfishness of (not wearing a mask) versus the selflessness of my staff and the people in this hospital who are putting themselves at risk, and I got COVID from this.”

What colossal mistakes do you speak of???........... I've seen none!!!!!

What I see in Trump is a president who did more for America and Americans then any president since Reagan....After the dumpster fire that was 8 years of Barrack and Joe....Trump rebuilt our economy and put everyone back to work.

Trump made us energy independent and a net exporter of energy for the first time in seemingly forever......Senile joe??? He's actively trying to screw that up

In Trump we finally had a president who took border security seriously .....Senile Joe??? Not so much.....

Covid??? Trump did an amazing job dealing with the pandemic! Put a plan in place and literally moved mountains to get vaccines going and going fast! Senile Joe on the other hand seems clueless of what to do even saying that there's nothing he can do to stop the trajectory of the pandemic.....

Frankly, the list of Trump accomplishments for America and Americans is long and distinguished!

And what do we have to hope for with Senile Joe???? Well down here in Texas we have a Spanish saying about what Senile Joe has planned for us.........Estamos Jodidos Todos Ustedes!
Did you forget about the part where Trump refused to concede and tried to steal the election? Trump is a damn traitor and thats what you like about Trump, that he hates America too.

I never understood why people think that kind of bluntness is an attribute in a politician. Effective politicians are diplomats with people who disagree with them, and willing to speak up to the extremists in their own party. Trump inverted that--he consistently (I have trouble thinking of even one counter example) and undiplomatically pushed the most extreme views of his party, and in doing so expanded the opposition against him to a number greater than any other President or politician in history. That is not the record of a successful politician.

Neither is it a positive (I guess you meant) attribute to be quiet and sit on your hands, then lose to those who speak their mind, however irrational, vociferously and viscerally, which makes the emotional connection necessary with voters to succeed in communicating thoughts and ideas.

Why? He did what he promised and delivered on promises made by every administration in decades. He did not give up and he did not let the Democrat media's narratives stand unchecked. After Bush, McCain, and Romney so welcomed.

Did you forget about the part where Trump refused to concede and tried to steal the election? Trump is a damn traitor and thats what you like about Trump, that he hates America too.

Trump hates America??? How about he loves this country sooo much and was doing his damndest to save it from the misery we are witnessing now???

Seriously....looking at all the stupid shit Senile Joe has done in a just over a week ... "buyers remorse" is probably already setting in with people on the left....at least the sane ones

Trump hates America??? How about he loves this country sooo much and was doing his damndest to save it from the misery we are witnessing now???

Seriously....looking at all the stupid shit Senile Joe has done in a just over a week ... "buyers remorse" is probably already setting in with people on the left....at least the sane ones
Trump is a traitor and no amount of your lies will change that fact.

Go back 30-35 years and watch how the media/press/journalists has turned politics into a team sport for the average American. They plant their flags on any given issue and laugh after hours while their followers go loggerheads to the point of hysteria.

There is your answer.

You can deny it, but it's still reality.

Back
Top Bottom