• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why does it matter whether or not a god is good?

If such a god is evil to us during life, we would have no good reason to believe any promises he makes about the afterlife. In fact, it would be irrational to believe it.
If a god is evil to us during life I think it’s completely rational to think he would also be evil to us in an afterlife if we disobey. And while it’s reasonable to question reward in the afterlife if we disobey, it would be the only chance of avoiding punishment.

If he is good to us during life, there's at least a chance.

Whether we believe what the god claims only really matters if it will affect our actions, particularly in the form of making sacrifices now to get a promised reward later. So if there's a price to pay in this life to get a promised reward in the afterlife, the credibility of the claim about the afterlife is a big factor in what we do now.
You are focusing only on the reward and not the punishment. If we believe the god is evil and will certainly punish us for disobedience, then our only chance, regardless of how slim, to avoid punishment is to obey.

Why does it matter whether or not a god is good?
For the same reason it matters if Mermaids go topless......

If a god is evil to us during life I think it’s completely rational to think he would also be evil to us in an afterlife if we disobey.

Or even if we obey.

And while it’s reasonable to question reward in the afterlife if we disobey, it would be the only chance of avoiding punishment.

Not really. For instance, there could be another god who is more powerful in the afterlife who would actually be angered by people obeying the first god.

You are focusing only on the reward and not the punishment. If we believe the god is evil and will certainly punish us for disobedience, then our only chance, regardless of how slim, to avoid punishment is to obey.

Again, not really. I'm just not drawing that fine a point. I'm viewing "reward" and "punishment" as relative, and opposite ends of a continuum. For someone who has to punch himself in the face every day during life because his god said so, only having to do it once a week in the afterlife might be considered a reward.

And....why do some atheists think that pointing out evil acts of God is somehow an argument against God's existence.

To my mind it's as relevant as God preferring The Rolling Stones over The Beatles....comp!every ir.

This question seems rather silly and/or obvious.
Of course it is possible that a super natural entity, if it exists, could be evil. And the fact it is evil is not evidence/proof of its non existence.

But christians describe/define their god in a myriad of benevolent, loving, caring, sympathetic ways. Thus evidence of evil deeds admitted to by that entity is evidence that the god as described, does not exist.

So why do Christians especially insist that God is good and loves us? It makes no difference in our choice to obey or not.

It's not about a matter of having choices.
You're right. Whether one believes or not, doesn't make any difference regarding the existence of God, and facing judgment in the end.
They don't have to believe in the afterlife either, or whether to believe that God will deliver in His promise.

If there is a final judgment as God had stated - it will happen....whether one believes or not.
Disbelief, will not exempt us from being judged and facing any penalties.

In other words, we can whine and disagree till we're blue in the face...........for naught. 🤷
So - the question of "WHAT IF...." is reasonable.

What if an atheist is wrong? Compare that to......................... what if a believer is wrong?

There is a big difference in their what-if scenario.
If the atheist is wrong - a terrible price to pay that will last for all eternity.
If the believer is wrong - then, he's wrong! Meh. He won't even know that he was wrong....since, there won't be any afterlife! :)

If an atheist is really secure in his position as an atheist - it's irrational to stress himself arguing with believers!
Thus there is that valid reason why we question such display of behaviour from them. Action speaks louder than words.

That God is good - Christians are simply stating a fact.......................... and, correcting mis-information.
Let's not forget that we are in a forum. It's not like as if we go about in our daily lives, arguing and INSISTING that God is good .

Last edited:
Good god! What a question. Can we get back to the mermaid question? How about the sirens in The Odyssey? I'm thinking definitely topless.

Why does it matter whether or not a God is good?

Because even less would believe if God was pimped exclusively as a straight up asshole (like in the OT sense.)

Assuming a god is an intelligent being, far more powerful than humans and capable of acting outside and beyond what we know of reality and capable of determining the fate of humans in an afterlife, why does it make any difference if that god is good or evil, benevolent or malicious?

Either way, it's obey and worship or suffer here and/or the afterlife. Without any ability to confront or oppose a god, it becomes irrelevant what our opinion is.

So why do Christians especially insist that God is good and loves us? It makes no difference in our choice to obey or not.

And....why do some atheists think that pointing out evil acts of God is somehow an argument against God's existence.

To my mind it's as relevant as God preferring The Rolling Stones over The Beatles....comp!every ir.

Not everyone believes in a good god. Some just believe in a higher power. Belief in god of love is natural human wishful thinking. Belief in a mysterious, all powerful entity is too scary for most.

People brought up as christians often first question the existence of god when they see horrible things happen to undeserving people. It leads many to atheism. That is probably why many atheists point out god's evil actions.

Your conclusion is correct. God is conceived according to human opinion and emotion. Because not being real, that is all any god can be.

Define good?

If it's being morally superior, then I think he's modest about it.
If it's being more knowledgeable and experienced, then without a doubt.

Isaiah 45:7 says, “I form the light and create darkness: I make peace and create evil: I the Lord do all these things.”

So this god creates inferior beings and it makes him special? Why did god need something to compare itself to?

So this god creates inferior beings and it makes him special? Why did god need something to compare itself to?

Makes limited beings, not inferior. Jesus made himself equal to humanity. Who's comparing?

So then why did you describe it as morally superior?

Because he has more information, experience and wisdom. Just like my parents knew more than me. I think you're confusing equality with sameness.

Because he has more information, experience and wisdom. Just like my parents knew more than me. I think you're confusing equality with sameness.

It only has more because it gave us less. That means nothing. I grew up and got smarter than my parents. Bad analogy.

It only has more because it gave us less. That means nothing. I grew up and got smarter than my parents. Bad analogy.

Life isn't done with you yet, you might very well be transformed into much more. Baby steps david. Most kids grow to their parent's maturity, you just haven't reached god-level yet.

No one is equal to God, not even Jesus...

"But when he says that ‘all things have been subjected,’ it is evident that this does not include the One who subjected all things to him." 1 Corinthians 15:27

Satan started the lie...

"For God knows that in the very day you eat from it, your eyes will be opened and you will be like God, knowing good and bad.” Genesis 3:5

Life isn't done with you yet, you might very well be transformed into much more. Baby steps david. Most kids grow to their parent's maturity, you just haven't reached god-level yet.

Human beings don't get transformed into anything. There is no god level.

Assuming a god is an intelligent being, far more powerful than humans and capable of acting outside and beyond what we know of reality and capable of determining the fate of humans in an afterlife, why does it make any difference if that god is good or evil, benevolent or malicious?

Either way, it's obey and worship or suffer here and/or the afterlife. Without any ability to confront or oppose a god, it becomes irrelevant what our opinion is.

God is neither bad or good. He is what you want him to be because he lives in your mind.

Why make irrational assumptions?

Back
Top Bottom