• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Why do we support our troops?

Our troops signed up for it, why is it hip to have "support our troops" stickers?

• Because you think they didn't have any choice?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Because you think they were too young to know what they were getting in to?

• That they aren't getting paid for it?

• That you should have mercy on anybody who has to do what George Bush tells them to?

Votes: 3 50.0%
  • That they are helping our country in some strange sick way?

Votes: 1 16.7%
  • That you are so stupid you think they are helping in some strange non-sick way?

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters
Conservatives are all for supporting the troops, except when it comes to actually having to pay for it.
Not true, I would gladly pay more for appropriate defense spending, provided the beaurocratic waste is eliminated and it helps those defending us.

You're the kind of liberal I can have a beer and a discussion with, great answer! The only time I get angry is when the troops get slighted in all of this, they have simply answered the call of duty and are doing their best, that's truly all we can ask of them and we owe them big.

Well considering I have a total of 8 family members who have been in the military or are currently in the military, I'd say my family has done it's share for this country. I can't really hate them for it. I understand the choices they make and hope for the best. I got a cousin somewhere in Iraq right now who's pretty pissed off about the situation but is doing his job none the less. Gotta atleast thank him for that.

Well considering I have a total of 8 family members who have been in the military or are currently in the military, I'd say my family has done it's share for this country. I can't really hate them for it. I understand the choices they make and hope for the best. I got a cousin somewhere in Iraq right now who's pretty pissed off about the situation but is doing his job none the less. Gotta atleast thank him for that.
Absolutely. And I hope your cousin has a safe return home.

Why do people feel the need for patriotism? Why can't they instead work off of the golden rule? Give me a flag, any flag, and the only thing I want to do is burn it and send the flag owner off to school. Blah. Patriotism has got to be the basest element in human nature. Too bad they didn't make it one of the 10 sins.

I don’t have a problem when people rag on the president or any members of our government but when you start calling out troops stupid I have a problem with that moron!
Maybe you haven’t read anything people have posted. Maybe your just plain stupid. I’m leaning toward the you're just stupid myself.

Its not up to our troops to pick and chose where or which battle to fight. The Brave men and women who VOLUNTEER for the Military are serving our country.

Now why dont you answer my first post....

If you don’t wish to stand behind our troops
feel free to stand in front of them
especially in a firefight.

Why do people feel the need for patriotism? Why can't they instead work off of the golden rule? Give me a flag, any flag, and the only thing I want to do is burn it and send the flag owner off to school. Blah. Patriotism has got to be the basest element in human nature. Too bad they didn't make it one of the 10 sins.

Have you always been this retarded?

One really important reason to be a patriot of the United States is the simple fact that you can't be executed simply for a lack of patriotism, this is one of the few countries on the planet that you have that liberty and, in fact, was the first to be so. Our founding fathers put everything on the line, including their very lives to insure that you can live freely in this country and still not respect it, even hate it. The liberty to not be a patriot is simply the tip of the iceberg (even though that iceberg is being slowly chipped away by excessive laws and regulations which are slowly choking off personal freedoms) which is exactly why we should all love this country.

In response to Cherokee:

I did respond to your first post. And then I voted.

Let me make it clear how I feel about our troops. I think they are worse than welfare cheats. And I certainly am not proud of them. You obviously think they are doing us a favor. That by allowing themselves to be used it's the presidents fault. I don't. As somebody said before, by law they are adults, and as such they need to take responsibility for it. That means somebody needs to point out to them they are not doing any of us favors by going to foreign exotic countries and killing the citizens there in the name of "freedom". Just the opposite. They are a drag and a drain on our society.

Last edited:

You are very confused my son. Patriotism is not about "a flag". It's loving where you're from. It's understanding your history to a point where you're willing to fight so that there is a future. It's seeing in what makes you land great. It's protecting the things that make your country great. It's not just about "a flag".

In response to Cherokee:

Let me make it clear how I feel about our troops. I think they are worse than welfare cheats. And I certainly am not proud of them. You obviously think they are doing us a favor. That by allowing themselves to be used it's the presidents fault. I don't. As somebody said before, by law they are adults, and as such they need to take responsibility for it. That means somebody needs to point out to them they are not doing any of us favors by going to foreign exotic countries and killing the citizens there in the name of "freedom". Just the opposite. They are a drag and a drain on our society.

You know....the only reason you're able to come here and spew this filth about our troops is because of our troops. Do you honestly think in a society where religious law is the only law you'd be able to get on a computer and debate the way you do here? I doubt that. If there is one thing you must give American soldiers credit for is ensuring our freedom. If you stop doing that then everything our forefathers fought for and died for is in vain.

In response to Cherokee:

Worse then welfare cheats? How in the fooking hell can serving your country, risking your life be worse then a welfare cheat? Are you just pi$$ed because they have more courage then you’ll ever have in your entire pathetic life?
And YES they are doing me a favor, it’s a favor I have done as well, I served proudly for 9 years in the Marines! Like others and I have said we don’t get to pick our battles while in service. Do I need to write that out in crayon for you to understand?
The more bullshit post I read from you the more you sound like someone in the sights of our men and women in uniform. What’s the matter did they kill one of your cowardly terrorist buddies?

The only drag here is your bullshit posts.

theharshtruth,
i posted my last rebuttal on page 2, and i would appreciate a reply

1) the german people were mislead, but regardless, they supported hitlers cause of a stronger germany

2)you are right, we do spend more money on our military then every othe country combined, but there is a chart on the right of that that shows military spending as percent of gdp. it shows that america spends 4% of its gdp on its military, which is pretty average.

3)that is your opinion, but BY LAW an 18 year old is an adult, and if they are going into the military, then they are an adult who has graduated high school.

I don't see the need to reply to this but I'll do it as a favor.

1) I agree with you. The Germans were misled. Much like we have been. Yes they were trying to make their place a better world. So are we. Don't see anything to disagree with you on this point.

2) You pointed out that america spends only 4% of its gdp on military. That's a very good point. I'm not sure what to make of that to be honest. Somethings wrong. Look at this pie chart that shows over 50% of our federal budget is devoted to the military. Something is wrong here.
Budget Analysis: Iowans For Sensible Priorities

3) I still think it's wrong to send kids who don't know any better in to what amounts to slavery. By the way they have relaxed the laws about graduating from HS. Even that wasn't enough so just this week the relaxed a few more. No big surprise really. But you are right. It's the law. Kids who turn 18 are considered adults and can sign up for military. I'd much rather see them not be allowed into combat situations until they've finished college but by then they'd probably be too smart to get trapped in the military. Hence the reason why they are relaxing so many rules to get kids even younger.

Cherokee: If you are just now getting around to feeling bad about how you spent 9 years of your life I feel for you. However try not to be like the guy in the poll who refuses to admit mistakes because he wants to pretend he's infallible. You'll just wake up 9 years later feeling even more badly about yourself.

I don't see the need to reply to this but I'll do it as a favor.

1) I agree with you. The Germans were misled. Much like we have been. Yes they were trying to make their place a better world. So are we. Don't see anything to disagree with you on this point.

2) You pointed out that america spends only 4% of its gdp on military. That's a very good point. I'm not sure what to make of that to be honest. Somethings wrong. Look at this pie chart that shows over 50% of our federal budget is devoted to the military. Something is wrong here.
Budget Analysis: Iowans For Sensible Priorities

3) I still think it's wrong to send kids who don't know any better in to what amounts to slavery. By the way they have relaxed the laws about graduating from HS. Even that wasn't enough so just this week the relaxed a few more. No big surprise really. But you are right. It's the law. Kids who turn 18 are considered adults and can sign up for military. I'd much rather see them not be allowed into combat situations until they've finished college but by then they'd probably be too smart to get trapped in the military. Hence the reason why they are relaxing so many rules to get kids even younger.

Cherokee: If you are just now getting around to feeling bad about how you spent 9 years of your life I feel for you. However try not to be like the guy in the poll who refuses to admit mistakes because he wants to pretend he's infallible. You'll just wake up 9 years later feeling even more badly about yourself.

thank you for responding

What’s the matter you don’t have the balls to reply to my post? You feel the need to avoid questions I ask? Maybe one day you’ll grow a pair.....:roll:

Those 9 years where the best of my life and made the person I am today.
My only regret is not serving 9 more. infallible? I never said I was nor did I say our troops were. But I do hold them higher then you..:2wave:

You on the other hand are nothing more then a little coward who might (I say might because I don’t believe you’re in the US) likes to try and rip people apart in the comfort of you home. You don’t have the balls to serve so you take your anger out on those who do.

In response to Cherokee:

How to even approach this without getting banned...I'm not even sure I can but I can't sit by and watch this kind of tripe and say nothing...

The reason to support our troops is so that people like you can spout such retarded nonsense. The reason to support our troops is because if they didn't volunteer their lives and their time, insignificant pi$$ ants who speak your hateful rhetoric would be forced to serve because a country will not stand without an army. To compare our troops to welfare recipients is very telling of your ability to distinguish reality from your lunar fantasies...you can't. You are worth less than the sand one of our troops empties out of his boot each day.

What’s the matter you don’t have the balls to reply to my post? You feel the need to avoid questions I ask? Maybe one day you’ll grow a pair.....:roll:

Those 9 years where the best of my life and made the person I am today.
My only regret is not serving 9 more. infallible? I never said I was nor did I say our troops were. But I do hold them higher then you..:2wave:

You on the other hand are nothing more then a little coward who might (I say might because I don’t believe you’re in the US) likes to try and rip people apart in the comfort of you home. You don’t have the balls to serve so you take your anger out on those who do.

Hmmm. Balls to reply. Balls to serve. Balls balls balls. Interesting.

I didn't realize you were missing a reply from me Cherokee. I'll try to humor you.

I'm glad you enjoyed those 9 years. Too bad I had to support you while there. Don't get me wrong, nothing personal, but if I had my way I'd yank every single dime that goes in to our military industrial complex and the wankers who are too lazy to actually get real jobs and contribute to this world.

You could probably break me in two with your little fingers Cherokee. You are the man. Tough, ballsey, courageous, ready to fight anything. You ever think of joining the world wrestling federation?

How to even approach this without getting banned...I'm not even sure I can but I can't sit by and watch this kind of tripe and say nothing...

The reason to support our troops is so that people like you can spout such retarded nonsense. The reason to support our troops is because if they didn't volunteer their lives and their time, insignificant pi$$ ants who speak your hateful rhetoric would be forced to serve because a country will not stand without an army. To compare our troops to welfare recipients is very telling of your ability to distinguish reality from your lunar fantasies...you can't. You are worth less than the sand one of our troops empties out of his boot each day.

Well said jallman.......

Hmmm. Balls to reply. Balls to serve. Balls balls balls. Interesting.

I didn't realize you were missing a reply from me Cherokee. I'll try to humor you.

I'm glad you enjoyed those 9 years. Too bad I had to support you while there. Don't get me wrong, nothing personal, but if I had my way I'd yank every single dime that goes in to our military industrial complex and the wankers who are too lazy to actually get real jobs and contribute to this world.
You could probably break me in two with your little fingers Cherokee. You are the man. Tough, ballsey, courageous, ready to fight anything. You ever think of joing the world wrestling federation? http://www.debatepolitics.com/images/smilies/icon_rolleyes.gif
rolleyes

Slick Serving my country was a real job. I along with thousands of other protected our country. What have you ever done?.
Again you wont give me answers to simple questions you just go off on some little bullshit rant. Wanker huh? Was I right about you not even living in the US. See we don’t really use the word "wanker" like the UK does.

I bet you’re just a confused moron living outside of the US who has to blame us for all your failures…You’re too jealous to admit it.
Wrestling me? No I can’t stand the bullshit beside thats for ******s like you..

Oh and yes I’m always ready to fight!
Especially against Troop bashing morons like you.:bringit

You obviously dont know the way the army works. These "kids" are grown men and women who volunteer to join the army. Key word : Volunteer. Nobody forces them to do anything. Unlike slavery. They sign their name on the dotted line after reading exacly what it means to be in the military. Everything that follows is a direct consequence of this action. Once they join the army they are trained. They are taught. They're not mindless zombies who are brainwashed into forgetting everything they know and believe. They're encouraged to become intellectuals. A perfect example of this is GySgt. As much as I dislike him(j/k) he's a very smart individual. Living proof that the military is not just about following orders like a dog. You're taught to think outside the box and have some perspective in life. You're taught to use your brain and not just your gun. True the military is different in some aspects but they're not as different as the world makes them out to be.

What a topic to choose as my first "return" debate... Let's start by slicing and dicing, shall we?

I certainly don't support anybody based on the fact that they are merely my country men. We've got a situation here in America very much like the Germans had in the 30s. You've got to wake up and start taking responsibility for allowing things to have gotten so far out of control.

We spend more money on our military than all other countries in the world combined. So I don't find it hard at all to say "lets not support our troops" support our military industrial complex. They are sucking our economy so badly that I yearn for the years we only had to worry about welfare recipients. It's time we start putting these kids into school instead of behind rifles.

Mindless and Opinionated, yet hardly factual. Yeah, almost certainly European. (See, I can do mindless and opinionated too. Doesn't make me right nor intelligent, but you get my point.) This "Military Industrial Complex", as you so word it, isn't an appendage of the President or even the lawmaking, governing body of our Country...but rather was created by the people who reside in our country in hopes of A) Creating a society not ruled oppressively B) Maintaining said society and C) Assisting others to have the same society.

3) men or women (not kids) have to be in school before they are behind a rifle. you have to be 18 to be in the military, wich means you are an adult.
and also most military personel are very well educated, i belive(but im not sure) you have to have a high school diploma to be accepted into the military.

No, you don't have to have a High School Diploma per se. You have to have that or the equivelant, which is the GED. But even with the GED, that says you didn't complete High School but you DID go back and do something about that. Shows initiative and maturity to me.

1) None of the Germans that I know supported the cause once they knew what was going on. Yet we still have people on these forums supporting Bush...

3) Being 18 hardly makes you an adult. And as a result many kids aren't allowed to drink until they are 21. Most insurance companies keep the rates up high until the 30s. People don't really gain the wisdom to make their own decisions wisely until they've got a bit of experience under their belt. At 18 all they are good for is physical labor without the intelligence to ask the real questions. Hit them while they don't know any better and force them to stay there until you can't. Hardly seems fair. However on the other hand those kids who would allow their freedoms to be taken away deserve what they get. If they are stupid enough to fall for it then don't they deserve it? Kind of like a sick Darwinian joke.

I apologize for what I am about to say, as I rarely outright attack the character of any person in a debate...but you, bud, are a complete dumbass that should have been swallowed instead of allowed to infiltrate an egg at conception. First off, and as someone mentioned before me...the military is completely voluntary. While being 18 doesn't necessarily mean you have the maturity to make a sound decision, it does mean that you are allowed to make decisions such as joining the military. Which, mind you, is a fact that is provided in the end by the hard work and dedication of our military throughout the creation of our country...the right to form your own decisions. Now, kids who allow their freedoms to be taken away deserve what they get... Wow. Being a member of the US Army, and having three friends who have payed the ultimate sacrifice...the first thing that comes to mind is the fact that I want to beat the **** out of you for even uttering something so moronic as this. No, not because I have balls...or am manly...but because it's demeaning and disrespectful. I imagine, when you were knee-high (which at this point in the debate, I think may have only been a few years go) that you were the type of child who screamed when your mother wouldn't buy you a candy bar, or flipped off your dad when he wouldn't get you that car for graduation. In each of your posts, this is what I sum. You are posting merely for the flammatory ability and an unintelligent agenda.

Oh, but the heart of said topic...

I've found, when out and about in uniform, that people support our troops because of what we lay on the line for THEM. I've never had a single person that has shook my hand and thanked me not say "I could do what you are doing." And yes, each of them thanked me while looking me in the eye. Last 4th of July...I was travelling home from base on I70...which takes me home in about an hour. Each bridge that I drove under was covered with people, waving flags at the passing cars...cars that carried families, many of the soldiers. I will admit, I wept. And each time I have gone and will go overseas in the interest of humanity and/or my country, I will do what I do for them and those like them.

So are you willing to pay higher taxes to provide those funds for the troops?

No, like the non partisan Congressional Budget Office says I want to cut taxes to increase revnue to support the troops.....

Murtha and Kucinch and you want to cut funds so we have to get out of Iraq.......

Our troops signed up for it, why is it hip to have "support our troops" stickers?

I hadn't realized it was.
All this time, I've been thinking it was hip (if slightly illegal) to peel off other people's "support our troops" stickers.
But then, I've always been terminally unhip.

Conservatives are all for supporting the troops, except when it comes to actually having to pay for it.

Then can you tell me why the Liberals/Democrats are attempting to cut troop funding...it seems pretty low that they feel they need to cut off our financial ability to keep the troops in Iraq, just because they want to commit such a fopa in pulling out entirely.

3) Being 18 hardly makes you an adult. And as a result many kids aren't allowed to drink until they are 21. Most insurance companies keep the rates up high until the 30s. People don't really gain the wisdom to make their own decisions wisely until they've got a bit of experience under their belt. At 18 all they are good for is physical labor without the intelligence to ask the real questions. Hit them while they don't know any better and force them to stay there until you can't. Hardly seems fair. However on the other hand those kids who would allow their freedoms to be taken away deserve what they get. If they are stupid enough to fall for it then don't they deserve it? Kind of like a sick Darwinian joke.

That statement is quite unfair, but reading your other posts leads me to believe that you really are too stupid to realize the pointlessness of what you are saying. Sure there are those kids out there who want to join the military "to go shoot something" , but I think the responsible men and women who know what joining the military means and the burden it carries with it far outweighs the imature Rambo wannabes. As an 18 year old man I knew quite well what I was doing when I signed up for the military. I am proud to be the third in my family to do so and am proud to serve the country that has provided so much and has allowed me to live free. I look forward to protecting those who love the freedoms given to and protected by previous generations who died to keep it that way, the military provides so many advantages in life and is a career to be proud of. And to say that those who are putting their lives on the line for you, me, America deserve their fate?.....Thats just plain sick. If any of you have a problem supporting the United States and our troops...do me a favor; look north, look south, east and west there are 193 countries (192 excluding Iraq, although your more likely to get killed in DC) sitting there with open arms ready to take you in, let me make a suggestion on where to go, Iran looks nice, supports your views and your overall hatred for us and our troops... you should look into it, ill be happy to provide brochures.

-Oh and TheHarshTruth,: Why are you wasting your time but more importantly the rest of our time spouting off your ignorant, obtuse, thick-witted crap that has no real meaning other than giving your worthless fingers some exercise? I always refused to believe that there are people out there who completely disreguard everything the US has done for them and refuse to appreciate the sacrafices of the men and women serving, but thanks to you, I now know that those idiots are out there. And on a final note....if it comes down to me laying my life down to preserve the freedom of those who have it or wish to have it....I will feel very disapointed that you are in that group....but it will be for you all the same.

-Have a nice day

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom