• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Why do people watch basketball?

alphamale

Banned
Joined
Oct 9, 2005
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern California
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
A bunch of 7 foot tall guys run back and forth and throw a ball through a hoop. The idiots in the stands scream with delight when one of the players swings like a monkey on the hoop after making a basket. For this, they're paid tens of millions of dollars.

???
 

jfuh

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 10, 2005
Messages
16,631
Reaction score
1,227
Location
Pacific Rim
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
For me with the exception of the Olympics, I think all professional sports are pathetic.
Grown men idolized for playing with a variety of balls.
 

alphamale

Banned
Joined
Oct 9, 2005
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern California
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
jfuh said:
For me with the exception of the Olympics, I think all professional sports are pathetic.
Grown men idolized for playing with a variety of balls.

:mrgreen: You reminded me of of something that happened on the old Johnny Carson show, which had Jack Nicholas, the golfer, as a guest. Carson asked if he had any good-luck rituals he practiced before he played in a tournament, and he said "Well, my wife kisses my balls." :2razz:
 

jfuh

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 10, 2005
Messages
16,631
Reaction score
1,227
Location
Pacific Rim
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
alphamale said:
:mrgreen: You reminded me of of something that happened on the old Johnny Carson show, which had Jack Nicholas, the golfer, as a guest. Carson asked if he had any good-luck rituals he practiced before he played in a tournament, and he said "Well, my wife kisses my balls." :2razz:
:mrgreen: Something like that.
 

talentoso

New member
Joined
Mar 27, 2006
Messages
16
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
There's no greater sport than basketball. In basketball you can't just play offense. You have to play offense and defense. In football, if the only thing you can do is run fast and catch a ball you can be good. With basketball, you have to do almost everything at some point in the game. That's why it is so great.
 
T

The Real McCoy

alphamale said:
A bunch of 7 foot tall guys run back and forth and throw a ball through a hoop. The idiots in the stands scream with delight when one of the players swings like a monkey on the hoop after making a basket. For this, they're paid tens of millions of dollars.

???

Well, you've summed up professional basketball nicely.

Any thoughts on real basketball?
 

getinvolved

Member
Joined
Oct 11, 2005
Messages
155
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Because of the amzing games played in the Men's Final Four Tournament and games like this
 

alphamale

Banned
Joined
Oct 9, 2005
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern California
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Basketball:

for (i=0; i=50; i++)

{

Basketball player stuffs Basketball in basket.

Fans jump off their seat and scream.

Cheerleaders shake their little stringy things.

}

Cheerleaders go out onto floor at halftime and wiggle their midsections as if having a great f_ck.

for (i=0; i=50; i++)

{

Basketball player stuffs Basketball in basket.

Fans jump off their seat and scream.

Cheerleaders shake their little stringy things.

}
 

MSgt

Stabler Genius
DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 10, 2005
Messages
26,272
Reaction score
11,626
Location
Highlands Ranch, CO
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Because Basketball sucks and people sometimes feel the need to watch things that suck. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm watching American Idol.
 

cherokee

Devil Dog
Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 26, 2005
Messages
7,486
Reaction score
789
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
GySgt said:
Because Basketball sucks and people sometimes feel the need to watch things that suck. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm watching American Idol.

Does your CO know about this?
When's the last time you had any range time?
It sounds like you're overdue....:cool:
 

LeftyHenry

DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 21, 2005
Messages
1,896
Reaction score
12
Location
New York City
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
I challange all you guys to go try to do what some of these stars do. Still, they are paid way too much. I mean c'mon who needs 6 hummers?
 

alphamale

Banned
Joined
Oct 9, 2005
Messages
1,120
Reaction score
0
Location
Southern California
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Che said:
I challange all you guys to go try to do what some of these stars do. Still, they are paid way too much. I mean c'mon who needs 6 hummers?

I don't WANT to smash a ball through a hoop, and then dangle on it like a monkey on a tree branch. The only thing stupider than that is the morons who will pay big bucks to watch it.
 

LeftyHenry

DP Veteran
Joined
Nov 21, 2005
Messages
1,896
Reaction score
12
Location
New York City
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
alphamale said:
I don't WANT to smash a ball through a hoop, and then dangle on it like a monkey on a tree branch. The only thing stupider than that is the morons who will pay big bucks to watch it.

You can take this attidude on anything you do. Why would anybody debate politics? All it does is waste energy and piss people off.
 

Hoot

DP Veteran
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
Messages
1,686
Reaction score
18
Location
State of Confusion
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
I played a bit of basketball in high school, but what I resent about today's NBA are the continuous traveling violations that are never called.

Isn't there still a 3 second rule for the offensive lane? Why are players like Shaq allowed to camp out in these lanes for 5-6 seconds at a time while on offense?

College basketball is as far as I'll go..the NBA is boring.
 

LaMidRighter

Klattu Verata Nicto
DP Veteran
Joined
May 19, 2005
Messages
30,534
Reaction score
10,682
Location
Louisiana
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
talentoso said:
There's no greater sport than basketball. In basketball you can't just play offense. You have to play offense and defense.
Same with Hockey, Baseball, Tennis, Soccer(Which I detest), Boxing, and Lacrosse.
In football, if the only thing you can do is run fast and catch a ball you can be good.
Not getting crushed by a 300 lb. defender also helps.
With basketball, you have to do almost everything at some point in the game. That's why it is so great.
Pro basketball is turning into nothing more than a soap opera/ rap video audition these days which is what turns me off, I like to see athletes display a little class here and there which is something that has been lost over the years in Basketball. I remember the great days with Magic Johnson, Dr. J, Larry Bird, Micheal Jordon, etc. Back before the gangsta culture took over players like Dennis Rodman were jerks, but much rarer, nowadays a guy like Shaq who contributes to his community and has class tends to be the exception to the rule, it's sickening to see players assault fans, choke coaches, get arrested for very vile acts like murder/rape/name it and until the league is finished with it's cleanup, I will stick to college ball.
 
Top Bottom