• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why did Trump wait till now for wall funding?

Correct me if I’m wrong but the wall was Trumps main political promise during the entire campaign but yet it took two years and the giving up of control of congress before the big push came for wall funding which has now resulted in a government shutdown. Why? Was it on purpose to wait? Was it bureaucracy that caused the delay? Was it just poor planning? Is it cynical of me to think that it was intentional? Full disclosure I don’t personally support the wall or the shutdown but I am curious why it became a crisis right before the mid terms but not during the first two years.

The problem was with parts of the republican party. Like Marco Rubio, Jeff Flake, Paul Ryan, Mitt Romney, and John McCain. Im sure their is more to this list but they held the minority inside the party and republicans couldn't do anything with out their support. So like John McCain effectively sided with keep the ACA Paul Ryan used his speakership to effectively block any strategies that would of had big effects on our southern border or immigration reform. Paul Ryan is a big proponent of big businesses and the global business strategy that people tend to play up as globalism as well as supportive to lower housing and lower inflation and lower farming costs. Trump couldn't get passed him and constantly tried to get him to put some money into their spending budgets for border security. Ryan kept using CR measures to keep the Republicans that were supportive of Trump at bay until the mid term elections. Since then Republicans that were in Ryan and McCains mindsets lost bigly to the Republicans that were more supportive of Trumps views. Which is why we landed here today and If Trump caved now to a spending bill and didn't have this shutdown or fight he would have to admit defeat until 2020 and he is reelected and a republican house is elected and hold the senate. All 3 are not likely to happen. So its either fight now about it or forget the idea all together.

I'll correct you, since you are wrong.

The wall was ONE of Trump campaign issues, but he had others that were just as important. I'm not sure where you get the idea that it was the "main political promise". Perhaps from the media?

Trump made a big push for wall funding in late 2017 and early 2018. It didn't work out. So no...he didn't wait until now.

Why didn't it work out? He had a House and Senate full of Republicans, right?

When will Trump's base realize that this border wall idea is not something that a majority of Americans want? I know it sucks to be a minority, but Trumpettes need to deal with it.

John McCain, and Jeff Flake. He had the votes in the House but not the Senate, and he knew it. One of those guys is dead, and the other lost his election. He now has the votes in the Senate BUT not the house. See how that works? :)

Tim-

Flake didn't run for re-election, Tim.

He has 60 votes in the Senate now?

You’re right; he also campaigned on putting Hillary Clinton in jail. Anything to rile up the pig-ignorant goobers that comprise his base.

Don't insult pigs. They happen to be quite clever. And someday, they will sprout wings and fly. Maybe on the day that Mexico sends us a check for the wall.

:fly:

The problem was with parts of the republican party. Like Marco Rubio, Jeff Flake, Paul Ryan, Mitt Romney, and John McCain. Im sure their is more to this list but they held the minority inside the party and republicans couldn't do anything with out their support. So like John McCain effectively sided with keep the ACA Paul Ryan used his speakership to effectively block any strategies that would of had big effects on our southern border or immigration reform. Paul Ryan is a big proponent of big businesses and the global business strategy that people tend to play up as globalism as well as supportive to lower housing and lower inflation and lower farming costs. Trump couldn't get passed him and constantly tried to get him to put some money into their spending budgets for border security. Ryan kept using CR measures to keep the Republicans that were supportive of Trump at bay until the mid term elections. Since then Republicans that were in Ryan and McCains mindsets lost bigly to the Republicans that were more supportive of Trumps views. Which is why we landed here today and If Trump caved now to a spending bill and didn't have this shutdown or fight he would have to admit defeat until 2020 and he is reelected and a republican house is elected and hold the senate. All 3 are not likely to happen. So its either fight now about it or forget the idea all together.

The Republicans lost the House. To Democrats, not Republicans who were more supportive of Trump's "views".

They have both put themselves in their own box...but Trump's box has an escape hatch. That's why he'll win. He'll be the one to end the shutdown and he'll still build his wall.

Nancy and Chuck will be left to both literally and figuratively scream at the night sky.

What hatch?

Trump wanted to pick a fight, and he didn't realize what the functional and economic ramifications of shutting the government down would be (not to mention the polling ramifications).

He thought it would be an easy way to stick his finger in Democrats' eye.

Somehow it didn't dawn on him that other people would consider this a hill worth dying on. That other people would see the grave harm in rolling over for a man who thought that ****ing with millions of Americans would be a good strategy for getting taxpayer money he wasn't entitled to and which he promised he wouldn't ask for. Republicans created this monster and spent the last two years humoring him but he couldn't get the money from them ... yet he thought it would be easy to get it out of Pelosi even with the majority of the nation on Pelosi's side?

He's an idiot. A very dangerous idiot.

Last edited:
His ability to declare a national emergency and use executive branch funds to do everything he has said he will do to deal with the humanitarian/security crisis on our southern border.

Which will get shot down in the courts.

Flake didn't run for re-election, Tim.

He has 60 votes in the Senate now?

He only needs 51 to pass, but 60 to bring it to the floor. But, we all know how the filibuster works, and the ability of the minority to obstruct is dependent on the willingness of the majority to be obstructed. Meaning, they can wait, as the filibuster requires concomitant debate. No breaks! :)

Tim-

Correct me if I’m wrong but the wall was Trumps main political promise during the entire campaign but yet it took two years and the giving up of control of congress before the big push came for wall funding which has now resulted in a government shutdown. Why? Was it on purpose to wait? Was it bureaucracy that caused the delay? Was it just poor planning? Is it cynical of me to think that it was intentional? Full disclosure I don’t personally support the wall or the shutdown but I am curious why it became a crisis right before the mid terms but not during the first two years.
It's the same reason why Obama didn't push Obamacare until after the Dems lost full control. It's all about being able to are the other party.

Sent from my Z982 using Tapatalk

So then if he couldn’t get funding and support for the wall when Republicans had full control why would he assume it would pass and get what he wants with a Democratic controlled house? Was he serious back in 2017 and 2018 or is he serious now about the funding? Seems purely political to me.

The Republicans have never had full control...and Trump has never had full control of the Republicans.

He was serious then and he's serious now.

And yes...it's political. That's how our government works.

John McCain, and Jeff Flake. He had the votes in the House but not the Senate, and he knew it. One of those guys is dead, and the other lost his election. He now has the votes in the Senate BUT not the house. See how that works? :)

Tim-

Flake didn't lose his election, he made a decision not to run. I think he's going to try to primary Trump off the GOP ticket in 2020.

He only needs 51 to pass, but 60 to bring it to the floor. But, we all know how the filibuster works, and the ability of the minority to obstruct is dependent on the willingness of the majority to be obstructed. Meaning, they can wait, as the filibuster requires concomitant debate. No breaks! :)

Tim-

Did you notice that you were wrong about Flake, Tim?

He still doesn't have 60 votes in the Senate. He didn't have it last year, either.

Trump is a failure as a party leader. That is a fact.

Flake didn't lose his election, he made a decision not to run. I think he's going to try to primary Trump off the GOP ticket in 2020.

I think so too. I'd give him a close look. Anyone who recognized that Trump is trash, and put country before party, is someone worth looking at.

It's the same reason why Obama didn't push Obamacare until after the Dems lost full control. It's all about being able to are the other party.

Didn't the ACA pass in 2009? The Dems still held the majority then.

When the GOP controlled Congress there wasn't much need for a campaign device. Now that the midterms are over, the GOP lost the House, and the 2020 re-election campaign looms?

"OMG GIVE ME 5 BILLION OR THE BROWN HORDES WILL DESTROY ALL YOU HOLD DEAR"

I think so too. I'd give him a close look. Anyone who recognized that Trump is trash, and put country before party, is someone worth looking at.

He won't have my vote. I call him Mr. Lipservice. He voiced negativity towards Trump, but voted with him 95% of the time. He's as phony as most of them.

After saddling us with this disaster of a president, and with the way they've gone along with him just to get their tax breaks for the rich and their many conservative federal judges, no member of the Republican party will ever get my vote again. Not for any office.

Because republicans are all talk, no action, and their voters are idiots for continuing to buy their tricks. Illegals and abortion, when in power rthey never do anything. When dems have power or one of the branches, they push immigration and abortion. If dems put forth immigration bills, they block it. They repeat over and over and their idiot base just continue to buy it

The Republicans lost the House. To Democrats, not Republicans who were more supportive of Trump's "views".

In total yes but the republicans that are in the house now not all of them were in the house last year some of the republicans lost in the primary to other republicans.

LOL ... riiight. Democrats lost control because of how Obama pushed Obamacare. Massachusetts was able to send Scott Brown to the Kennedy seat because of national anger against Obamacare.

Obama didn't wait until after -- he seized the moment -- but did it bassackwards and faced severe consequences.

Were you being facetious? Hard to tell on the computer screen.

His ability to declare a national emergency and use executive branch funds to do everything he has said he will do to deal with the humanitarian/security crisis on our southern border.

This one is a bit of a gray area and still doesn't resolve the situation he is in. Right now, he has put himself in the position of taking the brunt of blowback on the shutdown, has put himself in a position of backing down on the SOTU address, and armed his political enemies by telling them every move in advance.

At this point, it's not whether the wall gets built, but who made the government run again.

You have that hope.

Trump's had even more of a shot at extorting the money from the Congress than he has at declaring a National Emergency that is not a National Emergency. Attempting to turn every Congressperson and every Senator out of a job is one thing, though it is also a FAIL. Treating nine SC Justices with life tenure like they are screaming idiots is another thing. If he gets to the SC, Trump will lose there having lost in District Court and likely Appeals Court as well.

If he was going to try that he should have done it immediately and by immediately I mean at the start of his term. Even then, his chances were slim at best. I am sure National Emergency has not happened because Emmet Flood has informed DonDon that it won't happen.

Standard Trumpian tactic, try to claim a path that is irrational and impractical at best while not ever intending to attempt it....something like constantly threatening lawsuits that never actually materialize, another standard Trump practice.

LOL ... riiight. Democrats lost control because of how Obama pushed Obamacare. Massachusetts was able to send Scott Brown to the Kennedy seat because of national anger against Obamacare.

Obama didn't wait until after -- he seized the moment -- but did it bassackwards and faced severe consequences.

Were you being facetious? Hard to tell on the computer screen.

I was wondering the same thing. It had to be a facetious comment. It makes no sense otherwise.

Back
Top Bottom