• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why are we here.

Can't talk about possible existence of a thing called "God" until we describe in detail what that thing is.

I guess that this has been discussed time and again in freshman dorm debate sessions, but I thought I’d give it another shot.
As far as I can tell, we are here because of the Big Bang, abiogenesis, and evolution. Beyond that, in a more philosophical sense, I would say that every person has to make their own decision. In some cases, that decision leads to evil and hopefully, in most cases. It leads to a positive life in good coherence with the other humans on the planet. In my case, I use Humanism as a guideline for determining the answer, which is basically the last phrase of the previous sentence.
Why are you here?
If they many world interpretation of quantum mechanics is true, I couldn't possibly not be here. Also, it would mean I am both here and not here.

If they many world interpretation of quantum mechanics is true, I couldn't possibly not be here. Also, it would mean I am both here and not here.
There's no consensus on which, if any, of the available interpretations is closer to the truth. Personally, I think many worlds is some well-argued bs.

There's no consensus on which, if any, of the available interpretations is closer to the truth. Personally, I think many worlds is some well-argued bs.
It might be, but it also makes for some fun comments on a forum!

The question of self and meaning becomes muddled if there are an ever increasing multitude of versions of a self in diverging branches of reality.

The question of self and meaning becomes muddled if there are an ever increasing multitude of versions of a self in diverging branches of reality.

I am satisfied with my one and only present reality, thank you very much.

I said the universe, not God
So your initial statement was not implying God to be the cause or responsible for the universe?

Is your God really that petty and self centered?

If so, why do you respect him much less worship him?
Yeah, a version of God which needs subservience and worship is suspiciously anthropomorphic and sounds like a narcissistic tyrant. A hypothesis which isn't even remotely plausible, IMO.

Though it might explain "spooky" feelings like deja vu or intuition. Out of the vast number of parallel universes there is certainly one that differs only a tiny bit. Perhaps our brains are capable of "using" information from parallel universes which are very similar. And a badly adjusted brain gathers irrelevant or wrong information from universes which are too different, manifesting as psychosis or schizophrenia.

Parallel universes are assumed to be inaccessible to us, of course. But where's the fun in that?

Though it might explain "spooky" feelings like deja vu or intuition. Out of the vast number of parallel universes there is certainly one that differs only a tiny bit. Perhaps our brains are capable of "using" information from parallel universes which are very similar. And a badly adjusted brain gathers irrelevant or wrong information from universes which are too different, manifesting as psychosis or schizophrenia.

Parallel universes are assumed to be inaccessible to us, of course. But where's the fun in that?
Really fun, though probably dated, Sci fi book on that is "the coming of the quantum cats", by Frederick Pohl

Yeah, a version of God which needs subservience and worship is suspiciously anthropomorphic and sounds like a narcissistic tyrant. A hypothesis which isn't even remotely plausible, IMO.

People of an authoritarian temperament want that. They discover young that they're not going to be the ruler of the world, so they look around for the undisputed ruler to obey and emulate.

Now if only Christians could follow Christ alone, and reject that bully God, I think I'd like Christians very much. There's nothing wrong with humility or even faith, though I can't claim humility or charity or forgiving, myself. Such people are eminently easy to get along with, providing only that their attitude is not based in fear.

Really fun, though probably dated, Sci fi book on that is "the coming of the quantum cats", by Frederick Pohl

I've read some Pohl though not that one. He has a powerful imagination but isn't a great story teller.

People of an authoritarian temperament want that. They discover young that they're not going to be the ruler of the world, so they look around for the undisputed ruler to obey and emulate.

Now if only Christians could follow Christ alone, and reject that bully God, I think I'd like Christians very much. There's nothing wrong with humility or even faith, though I can't claim humility or charity or forgiving, myself. Such people are eminently easy to get along with, providing only that their attitude is not based in fear.
Trump: " I'm the most humble person in the world. People always say how greatly humble I am. No one is more humble than I am. My humbleness is so strong, and so yuge".

(Disclaimer: I am not sure if he actually said that.....but you can't deny it is totally something he would say).

Back
Top Bottom