• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Why are militarism and war good?

Antiwar

Green Party progressive
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
We have a lot of passive, active and a combination of the two supporters of militarism and war. Please post the good things about militarism and war. Thanks.

I believe that there are some people who are called neo-cons, who support war because it helps keep people employed, makes a lot of money for the owners of these industries, and reminds other nations who is the No. 1 country in this world.

In the 1930s, there was an Army officer who gained a bit of notoriety by claiming that he finally realized that American troops were in Central America to protect American economic interests, not to advance the welfare of the people there. (Today many of those ordinary people are now here in the United States.)

We have a lot of passive, active and a combination of the two supporters of militarism and war. Please post the good things about militarism and war. Thanks.

Provides the USA and the world with beaucoup FrEeDuMbZ$™.😇(y)

I believe that there are some people who are called neo-cons, who support war because it helps keep people employed, makes a lot of money for the owners of these industries, and reminds other nations who is the No. 1 country in this world.

In the 1930s, there was an Army officer who gained a bit of notoriety by claiming that he finally realized that American troops were in Central America to protect American economic interests, not to advance the welfare of the people there. (Today many of those ordinary people are now here in the United States.)

Thats right.
Ironically, the crush of migrants coming from central and south America are yearning to break free of conditions in their own nations.....conditions that the USA helped to create.

D'oh!!

Thanks for the good reply.

That depends on how you define "good". Wars can be good for certain people who profit from them. But they aren't inherently "good" overall. War is inherently "bad" in the sense that it inevitably causes death and destruction.

Militarism is simply the belief in and willingness to use a powerful military to promote national interests aggressively. As such, militarism will inevitably cause war, which is good for some people's interests, but not for others.

False dichotomy/straw man combo! 20 points. Well done.

Can you please show how that is so? Thanks.
We don’t think war is good. We think sometimes a person like Vladmir Putin sends soldiers to shoot people and the only way to make them stop is to shoot back until they die or leave.

Neither war nor miltarism are good. Unfortunately, they are often better than any viable alternative.

sends soldiers to shoot people and the only way to make them stop is to shoot back until they die or leave.

Thats what the Afghanis did to the occupying forces. I support it, I support freedom and self determination.

We don’t think war is good. We think sometimes a person like Vladmir Putin sends soldiers to shoot people and the only way to make them stop is to shoot back until they die or leave.

Is what you described a good feature of militarism and war?

Neither war nor miltarism are good. Unfortunately, they are often better than any viable alternative.

War is "often better" than the absence of war?

I doubt that.

Antiwar:

They, war and militarism, are not good, but sometimes war or proxy-war is necessary to forestall or prevent a greater evil from befalling states or blocs. Militarism is never needed nor acceptable in my opinion, however.

Cheers and stay alive.
Evilroddy.

Antiwar:

They, war and militarism, are not good, but sometimes war or proxy-war is necessary to forestall or prevent a greater evil from befalling states or blocs. Militarism is never needed nor acceptable in my opinion, however.

Cheers and stay alive.
Evilroddy.

I think we need to dissect your comment.

1. War is necessary but militarism is never needed nor acceptable.

Re 1: How is war not militarism?

I would but it's pointless. You're living in a dream world and I'm talking realpolitik.

I'm living in a militarized nightmare of a world.

Let us know when you convince all the bad guys to give up their militaries and weapons.

When you’re done with that mission, we can discuss the US giving up ours.

I think we need to dissect your comment.

1. War is necessary but militarism is never needed nor acceptable.

Re 1: How is war not militarism?
Antiwar:

You left out the important qualifier "sometimes" in your summation of my post.

Militarism is the desire to use military force in wars of choice in order to advance national interests. Not all wars are wars of choice. Some wars are imposed upon states by the actions of other states. These are wars of necessity and are sometimes necessary. The Russian Federation invading Ukraine in 2014 and in continuation in 2022 or the State of Israel defending itself against Arab invasion in the 1973 Yom Kippur War are two such examples of wars of necessity.

Wars of necessity are not militarism on the behalf of the defending state which was attacked. The militarism comes from the attacker who initiates their war of choice.

Cheers and stay alive.
Evilroddy.

I'm living in a militarized nightmare of a world.
Antiwar:

Then get off your computer and get involved to change that nightmare. Those who show up help make the important decisions. So get involved and show up.

Be well and survive.
Evilroddy.

Antiwar:

Militarism is the desire to use military force in wars of choice in order to advance national interests. Not all wars are wars of choice. Some wars are imposed upon states by the actions of other states. These are wars of necessity and are sometimes necessary. The Russian Federation invading Ukraine in 2014 and in continuation in 2022 or the State of Israel defending itself against Arab invasion in the 1973 Yom Kippur War are two such examples of wars of necessity.

Wars of necessity are not militarism on the behalf of the defending state which was attacked. The militarism comes from the attacker who initiates their war of choice.

Cheers and stay alive.
Evilroddy.

I'm sorry, but I prefer to use a different definition.

Quote: militarism- the belief or desire of a government or people that a country should maintain a strong military capability and be prepared to use it aggressively to defend or promote national interests.

And I really dislike that vague term "national interests" because the US government has used and abused that term so much that it's rendered it meaningless.

Let's break 'militarism' down:

Quote: –ism is a suffix added to the end of a word to indicate that the word represents a specific practice, system, or philosophy.

So, militarism is the practice, system, or philosophy of using military force. I say that all three (practice, system, and philosophy) apply. Do you agree with this definition?

Antiwar:

Then get off your computer and get involved to change that nightmare. Those who show up help make the important decisions. So get involved and show up.

Be well and survive.
Evilroddy.

I don't think they'll let me in the Pentagon.

neocons would have the USA warring all over the planet .like they did before the Ukraine war
Now they can sit back and enjoy the BigOne.. USA vs. Russia (and please dont reply it's a proxy war -we are upto our eyeballs in this

neocons would have the USA warring all over the planet .like they did before the Ukraine war
Now they can sit back and enjoy the BigOne.. USA vs. Russia (and please dont reply it's a proxy war -we are upto our eyeballs in this

The bigger war the US government is fomenting is the war with China. Have you seen the video "The Coming War on China"?

Back
Top Bottom