• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Who will Biden pick as his VP? My Analysis

Harris would be a fine choice, but Biden can already count on winning CA so, in that respect Harris doesn’t add anything to the Biden campaign.

The Harris pick is not based on the concept of winning California, but appealing to more black and brown Americans. Texas, Florida, Georgia and North Carolina have a large black population. Getting one of their own, is away of motivating people to get out the vote.

Please note: I hate engaging in racial politics, but there's a ground swell of pressure put on Biden to pick a woman of color.

In other words your state has done a bad job, but you very much want to keep the #1 person in charge.....

That's a very interesting way to go.

It is my educated guess that the virus was brought back to Michigan from Florida during Michigan’s mid winter school break which stated on Feb 14 .

The fist 2 cases were nor not confirmed until after the first week of March. When the first 2 cases were confirmed Gov. Whitmer declared a
State of Emergency.

Here is a timeline from March 10 to March 20.

Coronavirus in Michigan--a timeline of Gov. Whitmer's executive orders issued to combat the virus

The Harris pick is not based on the concept of winning California, but appealing to more black and brown Americans. Texas, Florida, Georgia and North Carolina have a large black population. Getting one of their own, is away of motivating people to get out the vote.

Please note: I hate engaging in racial politics, but there's a ground swell of pressure put on Biden to pick a woman of color.
I understand the logic of your argument, and agree that race or gender shouldn’t be a factor, but acknowledge the reality we live in.

Although having Harris on the ticket would likely bring in additional African Americans votes, I seriously doubt it would make much difference as the majority of African Americans typically vote D anyways.

I understand the logic of your argument, and agree that race or gender shouldn’t be a factor, but acknowledge the reality we live in.

Although having Harris on the ticket would likely bring in additional African Americans votes, I seriously doubt it would make much difference as the majority of African Americans typically vote D anyways.

It's all about getting people motivated. Biden is very popular among the black community. But he wants to bring out black and brown people who are not Democrats and under the age of 45. If there's a historic high levels (Obama level) of black and brown people voting for Biden, he's going to win over 300 electoral college votes easily.

Quote Originally Posted by minnie616

When Michigan had its first 2 cases in the state, she immediately declared a State of emergency and closed down all
K-12 schools including public, private and boarding schools. She closed down all college classes except online classes.

She also limited ( at that time ) all gatherings or events to 250 people.

Governor Gretchen Whitmer has issued several executive orders aimed at keeping Michigan residents safe while slowing the spread of the coronavirus. The following is a time line from March 10 to March 20. There have been several more since then.

When Michigan had its first 2 cases in the state, she immediately declared a State of emergency and closed down all
K-12 schools including public, private and boarding schools

I'm not feeling it

Governors of Red states did the exact same thing

My state of Idaho did it real early

Good.

I am glad your Governor was proactive.

However, I noticed that His declaration did not limit large gatherings or close schools.

Last edited:
Biden won't be picking anyone. THAT decision isn't his; sure it will be him who announces it, BUT it won't be him making the correct choice. At this point, Biden is the Greek husband from "My Big Fat Greek Wedding". He'll be made to think it's his choice, but it really wasn't all along. ;)

Tim-

Good.

I am glad your Governor was proactive.

However, I noticed that His declaration did not limit large gatherings or close schools.

Because this action had already taken place

Sure it did

That is not what the Idaho Statesman article said.

The governor’s emergency proclamation does not affect schools.

The decision to close schools is a local decision, said Sherri Ybarra, Idaho’s superintendent of public instruction, at the news conference.

Ybarra said it is possible schools could go to online-only instruction. The state is looking into concerns about internet connectivity and access to meals.

The Idaho High School Activities Association said decisions on spring sports are up to the local school districts. The Nampa School District, one of the largest districts in the state, said it was making decisions on large events on a case-by-case basis but canceled a dance competition scheduled for Saturday at Skyview High School.

Little said he isn’t planning to order the cancellation of large events.

Many events, such as the Treefort Music Fest, have been canceled or postponed, and public health agencies are urging people to reconsider such gatherings, but no orders have been issued to stop them.

“We don’t know where we are” in terms of a potential coronavirus outbreak, Little said. “My goal is for everybody in Idaho to do the right thing.”

Read more here: Access Denied

It's all about getting people motivated. Biden is very popular among the black community. But he wants to bring out black and brown people who are not Democrats and under the age of 45. If there's a historic high levels (Obama level) of black and brown people voting for Biden, he's going to win over 300 electoral college votes easily.
African American voters are already very motivated.

Voter turnout rose in 2018 across racial, ethnic groups | Pew Research Center
View attachment 67277516

Unless Biden says/does something to alienate blacks (or other minorities), he’s got that demographic locked up.

What he doesn’t yet have is the Midwest, where Trump won in ‘16. Klobuchar is the key to that region.

African American voters are already very motivated.

Voter turnout rose in 2018 across racial, ethnic groups | Pew Research Center
View attachment 67277516

Unless Biden says/does something to alienate blacks (or other minorities), he’s got that demographic locked up.

What he doesn’t yet have is the Midwest, where Trump won in ‘16. Klobuchar is the key to that region.

Whitmer is a better option. Michigan went red in 2016, and she's younger. I don't really see Klobuchar as the exciting one.

If I had to guess I would say Harris or Klobuchar. I doubt either of those two will help him much. I thought Stacey Abrams might be a better choice but now Im starting to think he needs a new direction. He needs a Latina.

But Harris didnt appeal to either of those groups. She really didnt appeal to anyone so I dont see how she helps Biden in the slightest.

Now that Bernie Sanders has officially dropped out, it's time to talk about who Joe Biden will pick as his Vice Presidential running mate. Biden has said through a wide range of media outlets that he wants to pick a woman, someone who agrees with him politically, and would make up for his weaknesses.

According to Election Betting Odds, the top 10 candidates with the best shot to win the nomination are: Kamala Harris, Amy Klobuchar, Gretchen Whitmer, Stacey Abrams, Elizabeth Warren, Catherine Cortez Masto, Hilary Clinton, Val Demings, Michelle Obama, and Tammy Duckworth. See here for the latest odds: Election Betting Odds by Maxim Lott and John Stossel

Historically and statistically, U.S Senators are the most popular choices for Vice President, and it's not even close. Since 1944, 17 of the 19 Democratic Vice Presidential nominees were sitting U.S Senators. The only exceptions were Geraldine Ferraro in 1984 and Sargent Shriver in 1972.

Who do I think he's going to pick? I think comes down to either Kamala Harris or Gretchen Whitmer.

Harris was indeed a flop during the 2020 Presidential primary. She couldn't even make it to Iowa and ran out of money in December. But here's the good news: Harris is the type of person he's looking for, and fulfills his qualifications. She's experienced -- served as California Attorney General for 8 years and finishing up for her 4th year as U.S Senator of California. She's considered a woman of color, and will be 56 years old come November.

As for Whitmer, she would be a non-traditional Vice Presidential pick. The Dems have not picked a governor in over 80 years, but I think she would be an excellent choice for him. Whitmer spent about 14 years in both the Michigan Assembly and as a state senator. In 2011, she was actually named the Minority Leader in the Michigan Senate. Since 2019, she's been the governor of Michigan and currently receiving positive reviews for her handling of the corona virus. At age 48, she would definitely be the ying to Biden's yang, and might help him out in the mid-west.

I don't see any other candidate out there matching. Warren is from Massachusetts, a state with a Republican governor. That's a major pass. Klobuchar is indeed experienced, but lacks the Whitmer presence and will be 60 soon. Abrams is too inexperienced and might cost him votes.

As of today, I would say Harris has the best shot.

Harris = Worst possible choice; 100% guaranteed loser

Biden = May not be the nominee; see Prince Andrew

Trump = Will beat any Democrat, even MObama

:shrug:

We've been picking presidents based on genitalia for over 200 years, why not?

source.gif

But Harris didnt appeal to either of those groups. She really didnt appeal to anyone so I dont see how she helps Biden in the slightest.

Out of the 10 candidates listed, which one be his best choice? Biden is going to pick somebody who agrees with him, but has a different set of skills sets.

He's not that stupid to pick someone totally bat**** crazy. He'll pick Amy Klobuchar.

I think Amy would be a super choice.
But Duckworth isn't a bad idea either.

Hopefully he does not go Full McCain, picking someone totally completely utterly unfit for the job.

I sure would not put any money on that though...

That was McCain's statue of liberty play of desperation, Biden is in no such place of desperation, he has plenty of time to think about it.

I am hoping he picks Harris or Klobuchar.

As a Michigander I want to keep Whitmer as Governor.

She has been very proactive handling this pandamic that has hit our state very hard.

I like Harris well enough, but what will she bring to the table? More votes in California?
Amy could help out in the states Joe is going to need that are in close proximity to where she is.

Back
Top Bottom