• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Which bone was Eve made from?

spud_meister

Veni, vidi, dormivi!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Communist
So I ran across this interesting interpretation:

So there you have it, Eve was made from Adam's baculum, which provides an explanation of why humans don't have one. What do you think?

Haha - interesting interpretation indeed.

Putting aside that I don't believe in the Christian Myths: it would be illogical for 'God's alteration of Adam's body' to become genetic and therefor passed on - if he had it, and it was removed (whatever it was) that doesn't mean that his offspring would not have it via genetics.

If I was born with 5 fingers on one hand - and one was removed for some reason - that doesn't mean that my children would then be born with 4. Simply removing something from you does not alter your genetics which you pass on.

So it could have been his sternum for all we know - regardless - it explains nothing.

Dammit! It's magic! You don't question magic!

Aw you're trying to get all scientifical.

in Kuran, god says that he created the human being from only one ancestor called ' adam'.it means that kuran regards the evolution.

Answer:
Improve
The Holy Quran gave the most sensible and tolerable answer to that issue,

47. We have built the heaven with might, and We it is Who make the vast extent (thereof).
48. And the earth have We laid out, how gracious is the Spreader (thereof)!
49. And all things We have created by pairs, that haply ye may reflect.
7. Who made all things good which He created, and He began the creation of man from clay;
8. Then He made his seed from a draught of despised fluid;
9. Then He fashioned him and breathed into him of His Spirit; and appointed for you hearing and sight and hearts. Small thanks give ye!
10. And they say: When we are lost in the earth, how can we then be re-created ? Nay but they are disbelievers in the meeting with their Lord. [quoted from, Meanings of the Golrious Quran, by Marmaduke Pickthall]

All human beings belong to one ancestor, Adam, and Adam himself was created from mud, God created Adam and eve, who was created from Adam's left ribs, then when Adam woke up, he found her beside him, to be his partner in life after he felt so lonley.

What does the Quran say about evolution

jawbone, clearly it is the jawbone.....

It's as Aunt Spiker says. Removing something from Adam would not cause his offspring to lack that trait. If you cut the tails off two mice and let them breed their children will have tails because removing a body part does not change the gamete genetics.

Whenever I hear the story of Adam's rib I can't help but think to the time when women were considered the property of men in many places in the world. I know that sounds like modern, feminist spin, but I don't mean it that way. I am thinking more in the traditional way, before the modern world started equalizing the social status of the genders.

Eve being made from Adam's rib implies she is deeply connected to the man, and her very existence is owed to the man's purpose. In other words, the woman is there as a character role to further the plot of the man. We see this EVERYWHERE in modern literature, movies, etc. Woman often have trivial supportive roles in movies who are just there to further the man's role, but we never really learn much about the woman herself. The Bible seems to do this.

Also, what happened to Lilith? And Sarah? There were other women in the garden. There were also, potentially, multiple "Adams" depending on how you interpret the Bible, so there may have even been more men.

Are you saying God couldn't alter his genes?

Like the quote in the OP said, the story having Eve being made out of Adam's baculum seems to make more sense than her being made out of one of his ribs. One matches a theme of fertility/creation and provides an origin story for what would've been an obvious absence of a common feature of animal anatomy and the presence of a curious feature on the anatomy of a human male. The other is a random body part.
Genesis 2:23-24 KJV said:
And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.

Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh.

Compare with: the tree of "knowledge of 'good and evil'". :attn1:METAPHOR ALERT! METAPHOR ALERT!:attn1:
Look at the etymology of "Adam" and "Eve". Think about how knowing about good and evil makes man like God.
Taking Genesis too literally debases it.

In Hebrew, the name Adam is closely related to adom (red) and adamah (soil). Thus, one may intuit that red clay is integral to Adam. The Hebrew word for Eve is Chavah, which means Life.
assuming they spoke Hebrew? gotta wonder what they had to talk about..no kids, easy to harvest food,, hardly any work, ....
and until the forbidden fruit incidence, no sex....sounds boring.
BTW, nice avatar...

assuming they spoke Hebrew?
Torah is silent on the language of Adam and Eve. Hebrew is considered to be in the Canaanite branch of Semitic languages. The earliest written Hebrew discovered so far dates to the Tenth Century BCE (ten centuries before the birth of Christ). How long Hebrew existed strictly as an oral language (previous to script) is unknown.

BTW, nice avatar...
ThankQ Bill :2wave:

So I ran across this interesting interpretation:

So there you have it, Eve was made from Adam's baculum, which provides an explanation of why humans don't have one. What do you think?

Article is about women rights but you will find substance in it...
According to a Scholar Javed Ahmed Ghamidi:

Who created you from a single person

this verse means that evolution is a fact...

The only thing im sure of is that it wasnt his pelvis :3oops:

The painintheass bone or the bickering bone.

Ah yes. What about Lilith? What was she created by? Clay? and therefore equal to Adam and Adam was not pleased because of that...or was it God that was displeased. Sometime soon, I'll ask Him. But in the meantime...what say you?

interpretation of a Muslim theologian, Javed Ahmed Ghamidi

here is a snapshot from his book

http://www.renaissance.com.pk/islam women misconceptions and misperceptions.pdf

Dammit! It's magic! You don't question magic!

Haha - prestidigitation, Sheldon Cooper style . . .

Aw you're trying to get all scientifical.

very nice find OP, It makes sense actually... im convinced.

Who created you from a single person

this verse means that evolution is a fact...

I think you dint read next part, and evolution is a fact? well you can easily find scientific criticism on it...

Last edited:
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…