• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Where in the US Constitution does it mention "abortion" or "marriage"?

eman926

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
I'll give you a hint.... It doesn't!

1.)The existence of marriage and abortion both predate the American colonies.

2.) The US was not created as a christian country and no version of the Bible is the foundation of our law.

3. The very existence of the right of freedom means that we can act as we wish to do until the state can prove a compelling interest to prevent us from doing do.

4.) The fact that the 4th amendment exists means that we have the inherent right of privacy because the 4th says that the government must obtain a warrant signed by an impartial judge to violet out privacy and enter our homes and search our belo9mngings.

5.) We all have equal religious rights to believe or not to believe and to act as we choose with regard to religious belief or the lack there of. Those religious rights belong to all religions equally as well as infidels of all sorts, as per some guy named Tommy Jefferson. You cannot force others to live by your mythology.

Take your theocratic dreams and kindly put it when it belongs, on the trash heap of human mistakes.

Does eman926 even have the slightest clue of how the constitution works.... I'll give you a hint.... he doesn't!

I’ve read the Constitution! Have you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1.)The existence of marriage and abortion both predate the American colonies.

2.) The US was not created as a christian country and no version of the Bible is the foundation of our law.

3. The very existence of the right of freedom means that we can act as we wish to do until the state can prove a compelling interest to prevent us from doing do.

4.) The fact that the 4th amendment exists means that we have the inherent right of privacy because the 4th says that the government must obtain a warrant signed by an impartial judge to violet out privacy and enter our homes and search our belo9mngings.

5.) We all have equal religious rights to believe or not to believe and to act as we choose with regard to religious belief or the lack there of. Those religious rights belong to all religions equally as well as infidels of all sorts, as per some guy named Tommy Jefferson. You cannot force others to live by your mythology.

Take your theocratic dreams and kindly put it when it belongs, on the trash heap of human mistakes.

The Constitution doesn’t mention any specific religion or even God. In the beginning of the country, they didn’t even give out marriage certificates by government entities of the newly formed US government. And yes, I know abortion existed before the Constitution. Doesn’t mean the Constitution said it should be legal across the country.

Just because you read the words doesn't mean that you understand the ideas involved. The US Constitution was never meant to be interpreted word for word, literalist manner. It is a statement of ideas to be interpreted by the federal courts up to and including the Supreme Court. See Marbury v. Madison precedent for details.

The Constitution doesn’t mention any specific religion or even God. In the beginning of the country, they didn’t even give out marriage certificates by government entities of the newly formed US government. And yes, I know abortion existed before the Constitution. Doesn’t mean the Constitution said it should be legal across the country.

How did you not learn these very basic civics concepts before you earned a high school, diploma. You did graduate from HS, didn't you?

Until the federal government says that we cannot do something then we have the right to act as we choose. That idea is the core concept of persona freedom.

The 1st Amendment has two religious clauses.

1.)The Free Exercise Clause that guarantees our right to believe and worship as we choose or not to without being fined or jailed by the government.

2.)The Establishment Clause creates a wall of repetition between the government and all religions so as to protect the secular and religious rights of the people from being trampled by the majority people or by the state enforcing any religion or religious law as secular law. Your religious beliefs stop at the end of your nose where the religious and secular rights of others begin, despite what you may believe or want.

Last edited:
News flash for you lefties. The Constitution isn’t a “living document” like you guys claim it to be!

Just because you read the words doesn't mean that you understand the ideas involved. The US Constitution was never meant to be interpreted word for word, literalist manner. It is a statement of ideas to be interpreted by the federal courts up to and including the Supreme Court.

You’re talking about ACTIVIST JUDGES, not Constitutional judges. And yes, it was supposed to be read literally. No, the Constitution was NEVER a “living document” like lefties claim! I still doubt you’ve read much of the Constitution anyways.

doesn't mention nuclear weapons, either

must be a game to identify words not found within the Constitution

what did i win?!

Yes i have read it. You obviously have not read it or simply have not comprehended what you have read. Otherwise you would know that the constitution itself states that not everything you can do is mentioned ion the constitution.

doesn't mention nuclear weapons, either

must be a game to identify words not found within the Constitution

what did i win?!

You don’t know my opinions on things like war anyways. I barely discussed it on these boards. For instance, being a libertarian, I oppose the draft. I could go on, but I’m posting on my phone.

Yes i have read it. You obviously have not read it or simply have not comprehended what you have read. Otherwise you would know that the constitution itself states that not everything you can do is mentioned ion the constitution.

I do know it’s not a “living document”, in which it “means whatever I want it to mean”.

News flash for you lefties. The Constitution isn’t a “living document” like you guys claim it to be!

Then it must be a dead, out of date and worthless to todays society document.

BTW, I NEVER said you haven’t read it. I said I doubt you read much of it. I read the whole thing. Do you even know why the Founding Fathers drafted the Constitution? Why do you think they opposed monarchies, as well as democracies? Yes, America is NOT a democracy!

The US Constitution must be a living document. It has the amendment process and the US Supreme Court as proof that is must be able to change and adapt. It would have been obsolete before the US Civil war if it wasn't a living document.

Then it must be a dead, out of date and worthless to todays society document.

No, I go by it’s original intent.

The US Constitution must be a living document. It has the amendment process and the US Supreme Court as proof that is must be able to change and adapt. It would have been obsolete before the US Civil war if it wasn't a living document.

Yeah, yeah, yeah. It means whatever you want it to mean, right? You are a handful and a half!

By the way, if you mention the Civil War, that’s why we have the AMENDMENT PROCESS. If you want “abortion” and “marriage” in the Constitution, AMEND the Constitution damn it!

You’re talking about ACTIVIST JUDGES, not Constitutional judges. And yes, it was supposed to be read literally. No, the Constitution was NEVER a “living document” like lefties claim! I still doubt you’ve read much of the Constitution anyways.

All judges are activist in the eyes of somebody. Chief Justice John Marshal was a radical because there was no precedent for him to rule in Marbury but he did and that legal precedent of Marbury v. Madison stands as the cornerstone of juridical review. Jefferson, Hamilton, Madison and Adams were all involved in that case and they didn't have a problem with how the SCOTUS performed or they would have amended the US Constitution to prevent it from happening again.

If you were half as intelligent as you appeared to be convinced that you are you would close your mouth and learn instead of shooting it off about what you clearly do not understand.

By the way, if you mention the Civil War, that’s why we have the AMENDMENT PROCESS. If you want “abortion” and “marriage” in the Constitution, AMEND the Constitution damn it!

There is no reason to amendment it because they were never banned prior to Roe. Abortion was a gray area before Roe and the SCOTUS said that our medical decisions were inherent in our right of privacy from government intervention.

For marriage it was not banned prior to Reynolds v. US, Skinner, Griswold or Loving v. Virginia.

Re: Where in the US Constitution does it mention "abortion" or "marriage"?

All judges are activist in the eyes of somebody. Chief Justice John Marshal was a radical because there was no precedent for him to rule in Marbury but he did and that legal precedent of Marbury v. Madison stands as the cornerstone of juridical review. Jefferson, Hamilton, Madison and Adams were all involved in that case and they didn't have a problem with how the SCOTUS performed or they would have amended the US Constitution to prevent it from happening again.

If you were half as intelligent as you appeared to be convinced that you are you would close your mouth and learn instead of shooting it off about what you clearly do not understand.

If you read the Constitution it allows for the AMENDMENT PROCESS. The Founding Fathers intended that. Judges are supposed to INTERPRET the law, NOT MAKE the law. An activist judge makes laws that aren’t even existing laws, or in the Constitution! A Constitutional judge says what the Constitution actually says. Geez, learn a little about the Founding Fathers and not from sources like Howard Zinn or similar!

There is no reason to amendment it because they were never banned prior to Roe. Abortion was a gray area before Roe and the SCOTUS said that our medical decisions were inherent in our right of privacy from government intervention.

For marriage it was not banned prior to Reynolds v. US, Skinner, Griswold or Loving v. Virginia.

Most states actually had it banned. Even leftist Wikipedia shows that!

Re: Where in the US Constitution does it mention "abortion" or "marriage"?

If you read the Constitution it allows for the AMENDMENT PROCESS. The Founding Fathers intended that. Judges are supposed to INTERPRET the law, NOT MAKE the law. An activist judge makes laws that aren’t even existing laws, or in the Constitution! A Constitutional judge says what the Constitution actually says. Geez, learn a little about the Founding Fathers and not from sources like Howard Zinn or similar!

As I have explained previously, just because you have read the words doesn't mean that you understand the ideas. You should start with reading the Articles of Confederation and then the Federalist papers that formed many of the arguments of the Constitutional Congress. The US Constitution is not to be read as a literal list of rights. We would have no freedom if that were the case, but it is not.
We dont not have to ask the government for permission before we act. We can act as we choose until there is a compelling reason or state interest for the government to say that we cannot act in that manner. You want to turn that core idea of freedom on its head and say that we have the right to act only as they permit us. You must be a fascist.

I like Howard Zinn and Chomsky.

Last edited:
Most states actually had it banned. Even leftist Wikipedia shows that!

Most states had not banned abortion. It was legal in many states, except Texas and a few other conservative states. That is why Roe because the test case. If you dont like abortion then don't have one but you cannot tell others what they can and cannot do with their bodies because of your religious beliefs.

Although 17 states had legal abortion, before Roe v. Wade in 1973, which made it legal nationwide, for those women who didn't live in those states, back alley abortions, in addition to women trying to abort their fetus on their own was a serious problem.
What Getting An Abortion Was Like In The '60s, '70s, And '80's Compared To Now

Back
Top Bottom