• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

When Will Usa Invade Iran ?

Simon W. Moon said:
Mostly because it would not happen in isolation. The ramifications of doing so might be worse than not. The folks who wargamed it noticed that they were unable to keep the violence from escalating. Sometimes, some cures can be worse than some diseases.

Yea even if we were to plan on invading Iran (i'm sure its on the white board already), which i think impractical to say the least, I think the dust needs to settle with Iraq. Best way to push Iran the way we want is to succeed in Iraq.

I'm all for a peaceful solution to their situation unless it becomes evident that there's no other way

I expect that most everyone can agree that it's an important issue and a thorny one at that.

Iran seems more radical than Iraq but USA basically quiet - no threats or sanctions at this time (i think a vote soon in UN?). How can USA justify invading Iraq and ignoring Iran ???

Fried Rice is confused

Fried Rice said:
Iran seems more radical than Iraq but USA basically quiet - no threats or sanctions at this time (i think a vote soon in UN?). How can USA justify invading Iraq and ignoring Iran ???

Fried Rice is confused

The same reasons the cold war was fought all over the globe and never in the two parties own soil. Isolation...

Fried Rice said:

Fried Rice is confused

Easy Fried Rice, Iraq was by far with weaker target, with no allies whatsoever. The Iraq military was less than half as powerful since the gulf war.

Easier target = Less American casulaties, or so the Pentagon thought.

Simon W. Moon said:
Another terror attack on the US and all bets are off.

Maybe.

But I just can't see the US military who is having a bit of trouble flushing out a band of terrorists in a hilly region of Afghanistan can lauch a successful invasion of a country bigger than Texas which is fully covered with mountains, hills and ravines with one of the biggest armies in the world.

GarzaUK said:
Maybe.

But I just can't see the US military who is having a bit of trouble flushing out a band of terrorists in a hilly region of Afghanistan can lauch a successful invasion of a country bigger than Texas which is fully covered with mountains, hills and ravines with one of the biggest armies in the world.
No doubt that a massive draft and a closing of the border to Canada would be necessary to invade Iran. If it should happen, I would expect it to be one of the largest wars America has gotten involved in. Lets hope diplomacy will prevent it.

Fried Rice said:

Fried Rice is confused
Iran is under trade sanctions. Has been for a while. That's why the Reagan Admin had to allow them arms through Israel instead of allowing direct sales.

There's also been a consistent threat to take the issue to the UNSC.

Also, AFAICT, Iran's not actually violating the NNPT. They're just doing somethings that have the US et al concerned. So, I'm not sure what the actual outcome of sending the matter to the UNSC would be.

Also non-trivial amount of the allegations against Iran have come from an international terrorist organization [who was harbored, funded, sponsored and supported by Saddam Hussein] of Iranian exiles and expats who are seeking to become the next government of Iran [deja Chalabi]. And a non trivial amount of these allegations have turned out to be false [deja Chalabi again]. This same international terrorist group [formerly supported by Saddam Hussein until he was deposed] has been nominated to receive US taxpayers' money [I know I can't wait to supporting international terorists with my tax dollars. How 'bout you?]. It has also received fundraising help from members of Team Bush. But, perhaps they're "Good Terrorists"?

Fried Rice said:

Fried Rice is confused

The reason is simple really, we are trying to allow the EU3 a chance to handle the situation peacefully with talks, and the carrot and stick approach. Be very clear on this, the current admin. is ready for sanctions right now, we are just waiting for the EU3 to give the word, then go to the U.N, where I believe China, and Russia will vote against them. This will create another problem all together, it's looking more and more as if the carpet bombing of their entire operation is the only option left.:shock:

To note why the US has done nothing significant as of yet, Iran has played a good political game of buying time, by saying that they will not negotiate with the US, but they are open to negotiations with the EU, this put's a brake in any sanctions or other form of action, and as long as Iran put's up the facade of negotiation then the US won't do anything, they wan't a diplomatic solution first and the EU is bargaining for it and Iran is nodding and hand shaking with one hand, and with the other it is stirring a cauldron of Uranium.

GarzaUK said:
Maybe.

How many times do I have to say this? We know who they are, where they are, what they're doing, and who they're talking to. Much easier to keep an eye on them and thwart their plans if you know these things. Kill or capture them and a new batch steps up we don't know so much about. Intelligence gathering 101. See the section on the cold war.

superskippy said:
To note why the US has done nothing significant as of yet, Iran has played a good political game of buying time, by saying that they will not negotiate with the US, but they are open to negotiations with the EU, this put's a brake in any sanctions or other form of action, and as long as Iran put's up the facade of negotiation then the US won't do anything, they wan't a diplomatic solution first and the EU is bargaining for it and Iran is nodding and hand shaking with one hand, and with the other it is stirring a cauldron of Uranium.

Last I read their nuke facilities were 70% complete. When they get to about 98%+ done I don't see any reason the US won't give the green light to the Isrealis for a little bombing mission. The Arabs allready hate the Jews as much as possible, and the Jews know where the first nuke will be set off. Simple really. But then you already know that, don't you skip?

I believe a war against Iran is inevitable, those people just don't like anybody else. But I don't see America being the spearhead, this time around. I believe when it happens it'll be lead by EU3 Nations with a great deal of help from Israel.

Supperskippy, seeing as you've been drafted into Israel's army, how many men do you think Israel could muster if a war does break out against Iran!?

It seems like the movement for propaganda has already begun in America. At a press conference, Donald Rumsfled confirmed the existence of Iranian weapons in Iraq, being used by the insurgents.

Last edited:
Arch Enemy said:
I believe a war against Iran is inevitable, those people just don't like anybody else. But I don't see America being the spearhead, this time around. I believe when it happens it'll be lead by EU3 Nations with a great deal of help from Israel.

Supperskippy, seeing as you've been drafted into Israel's army, how many men do you think Israel could muster if a war does break out against Iran!?

That's a nice thought, but somehow I don't see that happening, I hope I'm wrong.

Well first thing's first our proposed war against Iran would not be feasible unless we had US involvment, Iran is two nations away and we don't have the resources to launch a Maritime attack against them and searously hope to win. So a proposed war woudl entail us doing logistical bombing runs all over Iran crushing their nuclear program, and if we went to war with Iran and the US was involkved thus giving as a bridge to send ground troops we could probalby mobelize the 91st Division, the 252nd Division, Gidon Division, 36th Armored Division, 38th Divisional Group, and the Peled Division and still have substantial defence troops for Israel. This would entail more than 180,000 troops and 9,800 APC's, and close to 5,348 tanks, as well as close to 3,400 pieces of artillary ranging from Battalion to Regimental levels, along with several thousand surface-surface missles including the SPIKE-MR (Gill), arguebly the best in the world marketed to the UK, Finland, France, and the US, and is in direct competition with the Javelin. We would have air superiority and most likely the use of US aircraft carriers and US air bases in Iraq and Afghanistan and Quatar.

superskippy said:

What a fool question. To attack a Islamic state would astronomically increace those that cry "Jihad" against us. Better to sow dissention from within (it's there now folks, that's why they murder students in their sleep) and just have one "mystery bomb" set their quest for nukes back 20 years. Do any of you know that Iran has Uranium mines? They don't have to go outside their country for it. All they need is to build plants that enrich it to weapons grade. They're doing that now. Two kinds of nuclear plants. One provides power without being able to "enrich" nuclear material. The other does. Guess which the Iranians are building? When you libs see a mushroom cloud over a US city, who you gonna blame? You're gonna yell at Bush for not bombing that plant in Iran. Do you see the insanity here? When they get it it they WILL use it. Isreal first, then us.

Class dissmissed.

Fools!

teacher said:
superskippy said:

What a fool question. To attack a Islamic state would astronomically increace those that cry "Jihad" against us. Better to sow dissention from within (it's there now folks, that's why they murder students in their sleep) and just have one "mystery bomb" set their quest for nukes back 20 years. Do any of you know that Iran has Uranium mines? They don't have to go outside their country for it. All they need is to build plants that enrich it to weapons grade. They're doing that now. Two kinds of nuclear plants. One provides power without being able to "enrich" nuclear material. The other does. Guess which the Iranians are building? When you libs see a mushroom cloud over a US city, who you gonna blame? You're gonna yell at Bush for not bombing that plant in Iran. Do you see the insanity here? When they get it it they WILL use it. Isreal first, then us.

Class dissmissed.

Fools!
Any bombing of Iran that can be traced to Israel would likely start WWIII.

What are you advocating here? First you say that "To attack a Islamic state would astronomically increace those that cry "Jihad" against us. Better to sow dissention from within", then mock those who don't want to bomb Iran when you say "When you libs see a mushroom cloud over a US city, who you gonna blame? You're gonna yell at Bush for not bombing that plant in Iran." I'm confused as to what you're trying to say.

teacher said:
superskippy said:

Class dissmissed.

Fools!

I think you should be more worried about North Korea - coz they actually have nukes. Iran is 10 years away from making a bomb yet there is all this panic. And all this time NK is just being ignored.

Do you really think Iran would use a nuke? Tyrants are not that stupid, they know that if you fire a nuke, one is coming over with their name on it. I personally think its Bush's foreign policy that has made Iran seek nukes in the first place. The US doesn't like to invade a country with a nuclear detterent, it prefers weaker targets.

rudy0908 said:
Any bombing of Iran that can be traced to Israel would likely start WWIII.
Or WWV depending on who's doing the counting

Simon W. Moon said:
Or WWV depending on who's doing the counting
Well, I'm the one counting. :lol:
I don't consider anything since WWII to be an actual war involving the world. But thats just me.

I think you should be more worried about North Korea - coz they actually have nukes. Iran is 10 years away from making a bomb yet there is all this panic. And all this time NK is just being ignored.

Do you really think Iran would use a nuke? Tyrants are not that stupid, they know that if you fire a nuke, one is coming over with their name on it. I personally think its Bush's foreign policy that has made Iran seek nukes in the first place. The US doesn't like to invade a country with a nuclear detterent, it prefers weaker targets.

10 years? That is far off from what we are hearing down here, and no offence but the US and UK don't seem to be very good at gauging a time-frame for nuclear weapons development:lol: . Remember when they told us it would be a decade before the Iraqi reactors and uranium plants to be completed? This was in 1980... Then 1981 rolled around... Down here were getting number closer to a year to get nuclear development into full gear, and then three-four years maximum following to get a low yield nuclear weapon.

Back
Top Bottom