• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When is it too late to have an abortion?

Just because I may not think 100% of all voluntary abortions past viability should happen doesn’t mean I believe some kind of law banning them is the proper path we should take moving forward.

Laws against abortion don’t prevent abortion.

Laws against anything don't prevent all of what they're intended to. That doesn't mean crime should be legalized.

Would you be in favor of a law banning abortion if (1) the child is in his or her 8th month or later, (2) is healthy, and (2) the mother is well-off and has good family support?

What I'm trying to figure out is if there are any conditions under which abortion should be legally restricted, in your opinion.

When the physical burden on the woman to abort is equal to or greater than the burden to continue the pregnancy.
This is generally also the point where the child could be born and survive outside the womb even if an incubator would be necessary.
That is the point of viability and that is why the Supreme Court decision in Roe V Wade made restrictions on abortion prior to that point unconstitutional.

Would you be in favor of laws restricting abortion past the point of viability? Suppose viability is at 24 weeks.

Laws against anything don't prevent all of what they're intended to. That doesn't mean crime should be legalized.

Would you be in favor of a law banning abortion if (1) the child is in his or her 8th month or later, (2) is healthy, and (2) the mother is well-off and has good family support?

What I'm trying to figure out is if there are any conditions under which abortion should be legally restricted, in your opinion.

I am not sure why you keep going this route.

I do not believe I have the right to tell any woman, anywhere, what she can or can’t do with her pregnancy.

What I think is right or wrong regarding someone else’s pregnancy should not ever be a consideration, unless I’ve been an active participant in the conception of that fetus.

Would I personally take part in aborting a perfectly healthy 8 month old fetus?
No. I would not.

There’s no reason “in my mind” why that child couldn’t be birthed and put up for adoption In that very black and white scenario.

Not all scenarios are that black and white. That being said, that scenario doesn’t ever happen as far as I know, so the point to truly worthless to continue pondering.

I am not sure why you keep going this route.

I do not believe I have the right to tell any woman, anywhere, what she can or can’t do with her pregnancy.

What I think is right or wrong regarding someone else’s pregnancy should not ever be a consideration, unless I’ve been an active participant in the conception of that fetus.

Would I personally take part in aborting a perfectly healthy 8 month old fetus?
No. I would not.

There’s no reason “in my mind” why that child couldn’t be birthed and put up for adoption In that very black and white scenario.

Not all scenarios are that black and white. That being said, that scenario doesn’t ever happen as far as I know, so the point to truly worthless to continue pondering.

I'm not saying all are black and white. I'm asking, if one was that black and white, would you oppose the woman's choice to abort?

I'm not saying all are black and white. I'm asking, if one was that black and white, would you oppose the woman's choice to abort?

I already answered that.

My opposition to it doesn’t equate to “outlaw it, call it murder, and throw people in jail over it”.

I already answered that.

My opposition to it doesn’t equate to “outlaw it, call it murder, and throw people in jail over it”.

Right, okay. That's what I was trying to determine.

This question is not about when the unborn becomes a human being, person, baby, etc. Life begins at fertilization. That is a proven biological fact. However, many zygotes never implant; many blastocysts never develop; and many embryos never specialize into various cell types. Many women, whether they tried to conceive or not, miscarry before they knew about their own pregnancies. Some miscarriages happen later, after the embryo has begun to look like a human being. Fetuses rarely miscarry. When they do, there was a severe medical problem with the fetus and/or mother.

So from a purely obstetrical standpoint, the question about setting a deadline for elective abortions (she does not want or cannot take care of a baby now) is: "How late is too late?" Remember late abortions are rare because the mother wanted a baby if she does not have it before the 12th week.

When I have more time I will post informational links, so please be patient.

After having all the facts and medical information explained, when you and your doctor agree.

Maybe you need to learn how to debate. People are more likely to respond appropriately if a thread begins with the medical facts instead of an opinionated rant. I did not make any demands in the OP.

The first reply was stupid because it had absolutely nothing to do with abortion. My intent was clear: Have a civil discussion based on the biological facts alone, not your religion or beliefs about society.

It was a joke. Lighten up a little.

I'm pro-life. Abortion at nearly any point is too late to me, so the question is moot in my case.

I wanted to understand your position because it's uncommon among abortion proponents. I'm more used to Scrabaholic's position, that it should be allowed up to birth.

Many pro-choicers do not agree with Scrabaholic.

How late is too late? When it's born.

Just curious -- do you realize that your opinion here is an extreme one, even to many pro-choicers?

There was no way I could have known that.

That might be true. Maybe a good rule of thumb to remember is if a reply seems way out in left field in your mind, then it's possibly a joke?

Side note: I just finished a book where the main character reminded me of you, BD (and a little of myself). It's called Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine. I loved it. :)

This question is not about when the unborn becomes a human being, person, baby, etc. Life begins at fertilization. That is a proven biological fact. However, many zygotes never implant; many blastocysts never develop; and many embryos never specialize into various cell types. Many women, whether they tried to conceive or not, miscarry before they knew about their own pregnancies. Some miscarriages happen later, after the embryo has begun to look like a human being. Fetuses rarely miscarry. When they do, there was a severe medical problem with the fetus and/or mother.

So from a purely obstetrical standpoint, the question about setting a deadline for elective abortions (she does not want or cannot take care of a baby now) is: "How late is too late?" Remember late abortions are rare because the mother wanted a baby if she does not have it before the 12th week.

When I have more time I will post informational links, so please be patient.
This is already settled in law so why not just Google your question?

Would I personally take part in aborting a perfectly healthy 8 month old fetus? No. I would not.

There actually is a reason not to choose adoption. Sometimes a woman wants the baby, but does not like being pregnant anymore. Once I read about a woman having induced labor four weeks early because she is a stomach sleeper. (I don't recommend doing this.) A man wanted to see his baby's birth before dying of cancer and knew he probably would die before his wife's due date. Sadly he was right after the baby was born naturally at 30 weeks.

There actually is a reason not to choose adoption. Sometimes a woman wants the baby, but does not like being pregnant anymore. Once I read about a woman having induced labor four weeks early because she is a stomach sleeper. (I don't recommend doing this.) A man wanted to see his baby's birth before dying of cancer and knew he probably would die before his wife's due date. Sadly he was right after the baby was born naturally at 30 weeks.

Inducing labor is not the topic we were discussing though. Interesting stories, but not on topic for your OP, and not on the sub-topic I was discussing with @Atreus21.

She's not looking for a legal answer, but opinions.
Opinions don't answer the question. There is a set time when it's too late to have an abortion.

I am not asking about abortion laws or even what they should be.
Then what ARE you talking about, because the answer to your question exists in the law. it's a simple Google search away.

Opinions don't answer the question. There is a set time when it's too late to have an abortion.

No there is not. A doctor can't tell his patient, "You can have an abortion at the beginning of Week 24 but not the end of Week 24." That would make no sense because every woman and baby is different.

Back
Top Bottom