• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

When is it too late to have an abortion?

Patriotic Voter

Smarter than trolls
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
This question is not about when the unborn becomes a human being, person, baby, etc. Life begins at fertilization. That is a proven biological fact. However, many zygotes never implant; many blastocysts never develop; and many embryos never specialize into various cell types. Many women, whether they tried to conceive or not, miscarry before they knew about their own pregnancies. Some miscarriages happen later, after the embryo has begun to look like a human being. Fetuses rarely miscarry. When they do, there was a severe medical problem with the fetus and/or mother.

So from a purely obstetrical standpoint, the question about setting a deadline for elective abortions (she does not want or cannot take care of a baby now) is: "How late is too late?" Remember late abortions are rare because the mother wanted a baby if she does not have it before the 12th week.

When I have more time I will post informational links, so please be patient.

Last edited:
Read my post again, then answer the question.

Another OP that does not take a position but demands such from others then doubles-down on the demand, directly, in rejecting a snark reply.

This question is not about when the unborn becomes a human being, person, baby, etc. Life begins at fertilization. That is a proven biological fact. However, many zygotes never implant; many blastocysts never develop; and many embryos never specialize into various cell types. Many women, whether they tried to conceive or not, miscarry before they knew about their own pregnancies. Some miscarriages happen later, after the embryo has begun to look like a human being. Fetuses rarely miscarry. When they do, there was a severe medical problem with the fetus and/or mother.

So from a purely obstetrical standpoint, the question about setting a deadline for elective abortions (she does not want or cannot take care of a baby now) is: "How late is too late?" Remember late abortions are rare because the mother wanted a baby if she does not have it before the 12th week.

First trimester is perfect. I can see exceptions being made for health reasons. But, for the most part, unrestricted abortion in the first 12 weeks should be commonplace.

Another OP that does not take a position but demands such from others then doubles-down on the demand, directly, in rejecting a snark reply.

Maybe you need to learn how to debate. People are more likely to respond appropriately if a thread begins with the medical facts instead of an opinionated rant. I did not make any demands in the OP.

The first reply was stupid because it had absolutely nothing to do with abortion. My intent was clear: Have a civil discussion based on the biological facts alone, not your religion or beliefs about society.

Assuming the life of the mother and fetus is not seriously in jeopardy, any time after viability of fetus is too late.

At what point to you consider a fetus viable?

Generally speaking I think it’s the 21st-22nd week.Right around there. I think.

Mainly that’s for mother and doctor to determine considering the situation.

A few babies have been born that early, but I think you are wrong.

Would you support a law banning abortions beyond that point except to save the mother's life?
Doubt it.
I don’t see this as a black & white issue.
A lot would depend on the wording and intent of the law.

I’m perfectly content with how things are right now.

Doubt it.
I don’t see this as a black & white issue.
A lot would depend on the wording and intent of the law.

I’m perfectly content with how things are right now.

Then what did you mean by saying that 23-24 weeks is too late?

Quote the part of the OP where making a law is part of this discussion.

She didn't. I brought it up.

What did you mean by saying that 23-24 weeks is too late?

I answered the OP. It appears you haven’t.

I'm pro-life. Abortion at nearly any point is too late to me, so the question is moot in my case.

I wanted to understand your position because it's uncommon among abortion proponents. I'm more used to Scrabaholic's position, that it should be allowed up to birth.

I'm pro-life. Abortion at nearly any point is too late to me, so the question is moot in my case.

I wanted to understand your position because it's uncommon among abortion proponents. I'm more used to Scrabaholic's position, that it should be allowed up to birth.
@Scrabaholic didn't necessarily post an opinion on the question.

Just because I may not think 100% of all voluntary abortions past viability should happen doesn’t mean I believe some kind of law banning them is the proper path we should take moving forward.

Laws against abortion don’t prevent abortion.

When the physical burden on the woman to abort is equal to or greater than the burden to continue the pregnancy.
This is generally also the point where the child could be born and survive outside the womb even if an incubator would be necessary.
That is the point of viability and that is why the Supreme Court decision in Roe V Wade made restrictions on abortion prior to that point unconstitutional.

Back
Top Bottom