• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What you feed your dog makes a difference...

A friend of mine has two cats and over time they started to develop all these crazy health problems. They'd scratch and lick until they were tearing their own fur out, and they started acting neurotic. They'd go from being really docile and friendly to crazy and attacking you within a few minutes. One of them got so bad that my friend had to give her away. She does business our of her home and the cat started randomly attacking people.

My friend tried switching foods so many different times. Dry food, wet food, adding oils, etc... it didn't matter. She tried cat grass. The vet thought the cats had mange but the tests came up negative. So much money was expended on these crazy cats. It got to the point where the vet said it was probably a genetic issue with their breed.

Know what the solution was? The cats were allergic to grain that was in the cat food. My friend switched the remaining cat to a pea based formula, a food which only cost $3 more, and balance was restored. The cat not only looked STUNNING but was incredibly friendly and playful from that point on.

I grew up around many animals and I can tell you that there is so much crappy pet food out there, it's amazing. The industry is just not all that regulated.

There are also accounts claiming that a raw diet killed their dog. There is no evidence that it's automatically superior, sorry. It's all emotion.

BARF diet is a kind of raw diet, as I mentioned I feed my cat.

If a diet like this harms an animal, it is almost always one of two things:

1. It is a home-made diet done by someone who didn't do enough research into their animal's dietary needs, resulting in severe malnutrition.

2. They did not take necessary precautions with meat handling and preparation and the animal became ill. This is why I like HPP-treated raw food. It pretty much gets rid of this risk.

Is neither case is it necessarily a raw diet in itself that harmed them. A raw diet may not be ideal for an immune suppressed animal, like my elder cat, but in the overwhelming majority of cases, it is user error that causes these problems.

My dogs have a great diet. Probably better than mine. I have noticed, though, that when dragging in a half-rotted deer carcass they found somewhere, they seem to be happiest.

Back
Top Bottom