• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What will Trump say in his SOTU?

SOTU addresses are about the POTUS taking credit for all that is good, blaming others for all that is bad and promising to make most things better. The party of the POTUS rises up and claps like trained seals while the other party pouts as if they have been terribly wronged. Meanwhile, the actual SOTU remains unchanged and "our" congress critters go back to doing as little as possible to change anything - after all, doing very little is what keeps the campaign cash flowing and gets them re-elected at a rate of over 90%.

#analysis#true

Maybe you haven't heard many SOTU addresses, Presidents talk about much more than our economy. If you read further down the Wiki page you quoted, you'll find these examples;

"...The address fulfills rules in Article II, Section 3 of the U.S. Constitution, requiring the President to periodically "give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient...

...The address has also been used as an opportunity to honor the achievements of some ordinary Americans, who are typically invited by the President to sit with the First Lady...

...James Monroe first stated the Monroe Doctrine...
...It became a defining moment in the foreign policy of the United States and one of its longest-standing tenets...

Franklin D. Roosevelt on January 6, 1941. In an address known as the Four Freedoms speech, he proposed four fundamental freedoms that people "everywhere in the world" ought to enjoy: freedom of speech and expression, freedom of worship, freedom from want, and freedom from fear.

During his State of the Union Address on January 11, 1944, FDR proposed the Second Bill of Rights. Roosevelt's argument was that the "political rights" guaranteed by the constitution and the Bill of Rights had "proved inadequate to assure us equality in the pursuit of happiness"...

Reporting on polling data isn't biased or BS, unless you don't believe it. Ignoring this polling is fine with me. I have NP with Numnuts making an ass out of himself while his approval rating continues to drop. He obviously won't or can't change his approach to governing and the longer he doesn't, the better the Dems look...
Nothing in red refutes what I stated.
That it can be/has been used for these other things, does not negate the purpose which I quoted. And for FFS, pay attention, most of that in red is covered by what I quoted.

The state of the union is effed up. ?

How so?

The union seems fine.

No wars in sight.

Economy ok.
Democrats think Republican suck.

Republican think Democrats suck. ( Of course they're right ;) )

Now Trump himself might be in a bit of trouble but the union seems to be in good shape.

What's effed up is the total and complete gridlock of both parties. Republicans did it to Obama and now Democrats are showing that they have double paybacks against Trump. When the very left Ginsburg was confirmed to the Supreme Court the vote was 96-3, meaning many Republicans voted for her even though she was a liberal. How many Democrats voted for either Gorsuch or Kavannaough? Did either one of them get 96 votes? That about says it all regarding the dysfunction by both parties over the last several years. Are you willing to admit that it comes from BOTH sides?

you can thank Gingrich and the GOP in the 1990's that led us down to this path in the first place.

And Obama preferred golfing when tragedy stuck.. Were you as outraged then?

Tim-
And Trump even cheats at golf.

Nothing in red refutes what I stated.
That it can be/has been used for these other things, does not negate the purpose which I quoted. And for FFS, pay attention, most of that in red is covered by what I quoted.

You confuse an economic report of the nation with...

...whatever.

You said it was an economic report, I pointed out it was much more, I'm glad we agree on that. I hope at some point you'll see the difference between citing polling data and BS...

What has been alleged is not what he said.
So stop with the spin.

It's not spin at all. It was on a document on his campaign website and clearly stated Mexico would make a "one time payment of $5- $10 billion dollars in order to ensure the $24 billion continues to flow into their country year after year". He then continually repeated Mexico was going to pay for the wall throughout the campaign, and while he was president.

The state of the union is effed up. Will Trump be honest about that? I know, I know. He's hardly honest about anything, but every now and then he gets one right.

How creative will he be in trying to describe some silver lining to this hot mess?

He'll either speak before a half-empty Senate chamber, or he'll give a campaign speech, instead.

Regardless, he'll tell no less than 100 bold-faced lies, all of which will be lapped up by his brainwashed ignorant acolytes.

And his ratings (which is how he measures himself at all times) will be historically low.

...whatever.

You said it was an economic report, I pointed out it was much more, I'm glad we agree on that. I hope at some point you'll see the difference between citing polling data and BS...

It is an economic report and the occasion is used for other purposes as the information I linked to confirms.

And Trump even cheats at golf.

Yes, but all that matters to Numnuts and The Cult is that he's a winner.

It's only the 'ends' they're interested in...

Yes, but all that matters to Numnuts and The Cult is that he's a winner...

When I was much younger the term winner was often used to insult/sarcasm- Yep, hes a real winner

It's not spin at all. It was on a document on his campaign website and clearly stated Mexico would make a "one time payment of $5- $10 billion dollars in order to ensure the $24 billion continues to flow into their country year after year". He then continually repeated Mexico was going to pay for the wall throughout the campaign, and while he was president.

So you too engage in spin.
Figures.
No one disputed that the President said Mexico will pay for the wall. What is in dispute is how. He never said they would directly pay. He made suggestions as to how it could be done and how it could make the decision easier for Mexico to make a direct payment. Not that they would make that direct payment.

Learn wtf you are trying to argue before engaging.

"One way or another, Mexico is going to pay for the wall"

Through trade, reimbursement, or the reduction of our illegal immigration costs....

Some around here grab onto a few pieces of the phrase quite often to twist the narrative...

Figures.
No one disputed that the President said Mexico will pay for the wall. What is in dispute is how. He never said they would directly pay. He made suggestions as to how it could be done and how it could make the decision easier for Mexico to make a direct payment. Not that they would make that direct payment.

So suggesting that they would make a $5 - $10 billion one time payment means what exactly?

I'm referring to what Trump specifically suggested as a means of obtaining the money from Mexico.

So suggesting that they would make a $5 - $10 billion one time payment means what exactly?
That they could.
Do you not understand the difference between "will" and "could"?

"One way or another, Mexico is going to pay for the wall"

Through trade, reimbursement, or the reduction of our illegal immigration costs....

Some around here grab onto a few pieces of the phrase quite often to twist the narrative...

The narrative Trump stated?

Figures.

No one is disputing how Mexico would come up with their one time payment of 5 to 10 billion. We'll take a check, cash or gold.

So what part of:
"one time payment of $5- $10 billion dollars..."
Are you not getting?!?

Last edited:
No one is disputing how Mexico would come up with their one time payment of 5 to 10 billion. We'll take a check, cash or gold.

So what part of:
Are you no getting?!?

Yeah, and the irony is he's talking about "spin".

The narrative the administration itself stated?

The alternative paths are stated quite clearly. Some choose to believe the president of Mexico is going to trek over in a limo and whip out his checkbook. Those would be foolish people indeed.

With Stephen Miller writing it, there will be lots about how terrible undocumented immigrants are. I am sure the tone with be one of dark and fear, much like his inaugural address.

So what part of:
Are you no getting?!?
So you again establish that you have no clue as to what you speak.
Figures.
What exactly did you not understand about that suggestion of how they could possibly pay for the wall?

Do you really not understand the differences between a suggestion and that of a definitive? What you cite isn't a definitive, it was a suggestion.

Sure, but this is what they laid out as a strategy then tried to walk back from.

No they didn't.
They laid it out as a possibility. Not something that was going to occur.

What will Trump say in his SOTU?

my guess? his typical lie fest with a whole bunch of pissing and moaning about his ego wall. he'll blame the Democrats for the Trump / McConnell shutdown and dog whistle to racists and xenophobes.

you know. his usual schtick.

Back
Top Bottom