• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What to do about New York State?

Yeah my daughter goes to Stony Brook. I hate having to deal with the GW, the cross Bronx and the LIE.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Toughen up!

although i Despise what Moses did to the Bronx and most anything he touched with his ill conceived ideas and implementations, it's a pretty awesome ride.

The LIE, and all of Long Island, the armpit of the nation IMHO. So I do sympathize with you on that part of your drive.

tho food kitchens are thrilled with the bag.

what food kitchens serve venison? The stuff is not edible unless it's made into sausage which requires fat from another animal.

Toughen up!

although i Despise what Moses did to the Bronx and most anything he touched with his ill conceived ideas and implementations, it's a pretty awesome ride.

The LIE, and all of Long Island, the armpit of the nation IMHO. So I do sympathize with you on that part of your drive.

The Cross Bronx is a pretty awesome ride? What are you smoking? At least they recently repaved it. Still a mess with all the trucks and crazy drivers.

The Cross Bronx is a pretty awesome ride? ers.

Sure is, I love it.

It's dirty, loud, tough and messy. Competitive in every way.

One day we were coming home from a soccer tournament on Long Island and were in stop traffic. No go, just stop. You know what I mean. Around 3rd ave, Heading west toward the bridge.

It was summer, it was hot, it smelled of Dominican and Puerto Rican food in the air mixed with bus and truck exhaust. The local roads above were just as full. Taxis beeping, a fire truck screaming trying to wiggle through. At the same time a subway, above ground there, above the local road, roared by also.

All of it, the congestion, the commotion, the noise, the smells... led me to turn to my significant and say (we had moved from Brooklyn to a farm just 50 miles northwest of the city just 3 years prior) "I really miss this, do you?" she replied, "yes me too, I'd like to move back."

My daughter sitting in the back, now 13 looked at us like we were from Mars and asked, "are you guys nuts?!"

I love that little stretch of highway. Big fun in the snow too.

And this is the very reason WHY the Electoral College exists for the Presidency. I don't want NY Sh!tty, LA, Chicago, or any other urban sh*thole dictating the agenda for the rest of the nation.

NYC is one of the greatest cities in the entire world. Guess which city trump loves the most? Yep - New York City. When you insult NYC , you are insulting trump. Why do you hate trump so much?

They shut down my mid block walk through... really adds to my walk.

They also close down the airport whenever trump goes to NYC. Can you imagine how much the businesses lose whenever the streets are closed down just so trump can have a clean ride to and from trump towers and the airport?

They do the same thing in Florida. They close down the airport and all the streets to and from Mar-lar-go. This costs taxpayers MILLIONS and for what? Just so he can play golf and meet up with his rich white friends.

They also close down the airport whenever trump goes to NYC. Can you imagine how much the businesses lose whenever the streets are closed down just so trump can have a clean ride to and from trump towers and the airport?

They do the same thing in Florida. They close down the airport and all the streets to and from Mar-lar-go. This costs taxpayers MILLIONS and for what? Just so he can play golf and meet up with his rich white friends.

so when you hate Trump does that also mean you hate New York City?

Sure is, I love it.

It's dirty, loud, tough and messy. Competitive in every way.

One day we were coming home from a soccer tournament on Long Island and were in stop traffic. No go, just stop. You know what I mean. Around 3rd ave, Heading west toward the bridge.

It was summer, it was hot, it smelled of Dominican and Puerto Rican food in the air mixed with bus and truck exhaust. The local roads above were just as full. Taxis beeping, a fire truck screaming trying to wiggle through. At the same time a subway, above ground there, above the local road, roared by also.

All of it, the congestion, the commotion, the noise, the smells... led me to turn to my significant and say (we had moved from Brooklyn to a farm just 50 miles northwest of the city just 3 years prior) "I really miss this, do you?" she replied, "yes me too, I'd like to move back."

My daughter sitting in the back, now 13 looked at us like we were from Mars and asked, "are you guys nuts?!"

I love that little stretch of highway. Big fun in the snow too.

I agree with your daughter, you guys are nuts! I'm about 50 miles NW. A cool ride for me is the 2nd half of our trips to Canton, NY. Up the thruway then through the Adirondacks. 2 lane roads, lots of trees and curves, lakes and small towns. Long stretches of no one else. The only bad aspect is getting behind a Semi other slow moving vehicle. Could be 20 miles before you can pass.

No NY Airport has ever shut down for a president. For weather, not

NYC is one of the greatest cities in the entire world. Guess which city trump loves the most? Yep - New York City. When you insult NYC , you are insulting trump. Why do you hate trump so much?

HAHAHA. you mean one of the greatest garbage dumps like San Fransicko. the ONLY time NYC did good was when Giuliani was Mayor. and my disdain for that ****hole goes long before Trump.

Yes, and the annual air show at the fair grounds is still fun.

Wherever you are in the state, taking deer for the table is never illegal, especially today. There are not enough hunters, not enough predators, and the overpopulation of deer is not just a nuisance but a health threat as tens of thousands die from starvation every winter leaving corpses that breed disease. Park Rangers send out squads of professional hunters, they don't come close to the need, tho food kitchens are thrilled with the bag.

Along the Great Lakes, and throughout the Finger Lakes region there are those who live off the land they and theirs never owned, but have traditionally trapped, hunted, fished and gathered off the land. They are why I say money doesn't matter. They are the ones who will stay while all others leave. Interesting peoples and they don't trust outsiders easily, many speak French and nothing else.

All beautiful country, for those who can handle the harsh winters.

The LIE is still Robert Moses and the world's largest parking lot. When I visit friends and family in the Hamptons or Montauk, I travel by boat. Faster, and I manage some fishing. The LIRR, from where I live, is still that fastest mode into midtown than any other transportation. In someways, a god send. Easier than walking the 10 blocks uphill to the Union Turnpike station for the E or F, 3 blocks and always a seat off peak. When I drive back or forth between Kew Gardens and parts of Forest Hills next door, for errands, what should be a 5-10 minute trip at most is often 20-30 minutes plus time consumed by parking spot hunting. Got to bring your own good music. :)

You know I never realized that taking deer for food was legal in all cases. I always assumed the normal hunter bag limits and season was always in effect for everyone regardless of need. I know from my time hunting in those depressed areas that locals often took deer out of season and no one bothered them but assumed that the police just realized what the situation was and turned a blind eye to it. Either way I have no issue with it. People have to eat and as you say we have far too many deer.

I'm sure you know we have lots of deer even on LI. Last summer my missus and I drove down to Jones Beach one evening and driving along the road that connects the various beaches - the one that terminates at Fire Island I don't recall its name - we literally saw dozens of deer just milling about.
Same summer driving in a pretty populated part of St James on what passes for a country road around here saw a couple more deer just hanging out on some guy's lawn. It's become so much of a problem that bow hunting for deer has been legal in my town - Huntington - since 2015. Huntington's pretty built up so legally there are only a few places where you can actually use a bow. The rules are on private property only and not closer than 500' from other homes/schools etc, which means you can't hunt in 3/4s of the town, but still I was shocked to find out that it's legal, even encouraged here.

I used to live in Flushing and took the LIRR into the city every day. I worked at 2 Penn Plaza at the time. 20 minutes from home to office. That was heaven. Now it's closer to 2 hours door to door but I have a much bigger place on a much bigger piece of property and in truth I only go into the office twice a week at most so I'm not complaining.

Toughen up!

You've never been to Buffalo.

Uh huh. Buffalo Billions. How many have been convicted so far. Paint jobs don't create employment. Yup, Kodak and Polaroid are history, IBM retreated long ago, Xerox retreated to its west coast park, exactly where are those jobs in Buffalo or is it so many left the employment ratios are looking better as more leave.

The carpetbagger senator from Westchester, promised 500k jobs for upstate and western NY, delivered none.

I closed on two abandoned farms contiguous to properties I've already bought for less than 20¢ on the dollar in upstate northwestern NY. Everything north of Albany still needs a painting as the population, already down 40-50% during the past 30 years continues to shrink rapidly. The City of Utica offered free houses, almost mansions, to anyone who would start a business in Utica, with tax abatements and cash grants. Hoping to attract immigrants. They had to bull doze 80 houses that would not last another winter without heat. Who wants to heat 30 rooms or so in upstate NY during the winter? Who could afford that today who would want to live on desolation rode?
If you people would allow hydrocarbon formations to be fracture stimulated you wouldn’t need to import gas from PA.

You know I never realized that taking deer for food was legal in all cases. I always assumed the normal hunter bag limits and season was always in effect for everyone regardless of need. I know from my time hunting in those depressed areas that locals often took deer out of season and no one bothered them but assumed that the police just realized what the situation was and turned a blind eye to it. Either way I have no issue with it. People have to eat and as you say we have far too many deer.

I'm sure you know we have lots of deer even on LI. Last summer my missus and I drove down to Jones Beach one evening and driving along the road that connects the various beaches - the one that terminates at Fire Island I don't recall its name - we literally saw dozens of deer just milling about.
Same summer driving in a pretty populated part of St James on what passes for a country road around here saw a couple more deer just hanging out on some guy's lawn. It's become so much of a problem that bow hunting for deer has been legal in my town - Huntington - since 2015. Huntington's pretty built up so legally there are only a few places where you can actually use a bow. The rules are on private property only and not closer than 500' from other homes/schools etc, which means you can't hunt in 3/4s of the town, but still I was shocked to find out that it's legal, even encouraged here.

I used to live in Flushing and took the LIRR into the city every day. I worked at 2 Penn Plaza at the time. 20 minutes from home to office. That was heaven. Now it's closer to 2 hours door to door but I have a much bigger place on a much bigger piece of property and in truth I only go into the office twice a week at most so I'm not complaining.

It is not legal. The game wardens and police turn a blind eye, you were right. They should, those shooters can hit a squirrel at a 100 yards, an eye at 30 yards is no problem.:)

Deer have become a suburban plague. However, honestly, hand me a bow and you are safer in front of me. :)

We're seeing deer destroy private gardens here in Queens, places like Little Neck, Douglaston, parts of the Rockaways, Laurelton, among others are seeing small herds with no predators in sight, except the occasional truck or car at night.

Compared to the legendary 7 train, the LIRR is a blessing.

Last edited:
If you people would allow hydrocarbon formations to be fracture stimulated you wouldn’t need to import gas from PA.

Nonsense. We don't want the earthquakes. Having oil doesn't mean we will tolerate refineries. NIMBY

All that abandoned farm land I've acquired in NW NY is mineral rich. NY is a diamond state. I will never allow mining or oil exploration. I'm turning it all into almost pristine managed timber growth. Old growth hardwoods for top end furniture and musical instruments, to be harvested and replanted long after I am gone, and fast growth sustainable woods for the quick money so the land pays for itself, and since the land is considered fallow farm land, I take advantage of the tax subsidies. Fruit and nut trees are left to foster the wild life. The brush is cleared byannually and converted to mulch, preventing forest fires. We'll all breath better.

Well Libbies, you got your wish, at least as far as the People's Republik of New Yorkistan is concerned. The entire State Government will be under one party Democrat control for at least the next two years. Let's see how much damage the New York City gang can cause the state before the impotent GOP finally grow a pair of solid brass ones and begin to fight the Democrats, and fight them dirty if they have to. And these particular Democrats are dangerous Uber-Leftwing radicals, starting with Prince Andrew SonOfACuomo who is no friend to anyone except Downstate. In the meantime, more people will move out of New York and no business with an ounce of sanity would want to set up shop here. To those of you Downstate? Screw you and your governor, asswads!

Funny. Bezos of Amazon chose political power over business decisions. NY is a bad place for business, but a great place to base lobbiests. Every decision maker they visit is aware that Bezo's newspaper - the NYP is watching them. He's banking on a free run once Trump is pushed aside. No more anti trust threats. He buy peace with money and adverse editorials.

Nonsense. We don't want the earthquakes. Having oil doesn't mean we will tolerate refineries. NIMBY

All that abandoned farm land I've acquired in NW NY is mineral rich. NY is a diamond state. I will never allow mining or oil exploration. I'm turning it all into almost pristine managed timber growth. Old growth hardwoods for top end furniture and musical instruments, to be harvested and replanted long after I am gone, and fast growth sustainable woods for the quick money so the land pays for itself, and since the land is considered fallow farm land, I take advantage of the tax subsidies. Fruit and nut trees are left to foster the wild life. The brush is cleared byannually and converted to mulch, preventing forest fires. We'll all breath better.
I highly doubt you own an acre of mineral royalties.

I highly doubt you own an acre of mineral royalties.

I don't care what you believe. Fee absolute title is what I purchased on more than a 150k acres that were of gov't offerings since WWI. Average price 44¢ per acre with no other interested parties. Same for 2k acres of railroad land.

There is no "You people" in NY. Especially in western and upstate NY. The regions have emptied. Those remaining are not homogenized, especially with city folk. The cities are shadows of what they were. Some luxury areas retain their glory, some regions benefit from tourism, but they are few and far between. If I could afford more land and the costs of management, I could triple my holdings overnight. And I am one of the small land bankers.

Liberals are despised outside the college towns, and you don't have a clue. None of the conservatives want fracking, they've seen what it does in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and so forth. They are not deaf, dumb and blind. The pollution of the Hudson by GE and others taught them a lesson, and did the Love Canal. NY is terrific horse breeding country, check out Fort Salonga on Long Island. Most expensive Thorobreds in the country, not to mention the equestrian ranches of Columbia County.

I don't care what you believe. Fee absolute title is what I purchased on more than a 150k acres that were of gov't offerings since WWI. Average price 44¢ per acre with no other interested parties. Same for 2k acres of railroad land.

There is no "You people" in NY. Especially in western and upstate NY. The regions have emptied. Those remaining are not homogenized, especially with city folk. The cities are shadows of what they were. Some luxury areas retain their glory, some regions benefit from tourism, but they are few and far between. If I could afford more land and the costs of management, I could triple my holdings overnight. And I am one of the small land bankers.

Liberals are despised outside the college towns, and you don't have a clue. None of the conservatives want fracking, they've seen what it does in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and so forth. They are not deaf, dumb and blind. The pollution of the Hudson by GE and others taught them a lesson, and did the Love Canal. NY is terrific horse breeding country, check out Fort Salonga on Long Island. Most expensive Thorobreds in the country, not to mention the equestrian ranches of Columbia County.

Want fraccing.............I believe the Beria Sand formation could also be better utilized by reworking the exsisting wells now in current production. As for the Utica and other shale plays, if you think $10,000,000 for a 32mmcfpd well for 60day IP is prohibitive and you don’t want the tax base and local jobs and housing demand that comes with it, then that’s your problem. Gas spiked at $128 per thousand cubic feet last year in Boston. You don’t want a part of that? Fine.

Want fraccing.............I believe the Beria Sand formation could also be better utilized by reworking the exsisting wells now in current production. As for the Utica and other shale plays, if you think $10,000,000 for a 32mmcfpd well for 60day IP is prohibitive and you don’t want the tax base and local jobs and housing demand that comes with it, then that’s your problem. Gas spiked at $128 per thousand cubic feet last year in Boston. You don’t want a part of that? Fine.

You're talking about the old Jamestown wells, no one cares. It would be like reworking the Pennsylvania's fields.

No the people who would be effected don't want it near Utica and the other shale plays. There's more money in the long run with forestry and breathing free. Frackers showing their faces here have already found shotguns in their faces at midnight, and left. Many of our boys still know how to take a scalp with just a tomahawk, bilateral damage is not frowned upon. They learned from their French ancestors.

Antifracking is the one thing Cuomo got right. You don't know.

You're talking about the old Jamestown wells, no one cares. It would be like reworking the Pennsylvania's fields.

No the people who would be effected don't want it near Utica and the other shale plays. There's more money in the long run with forestry and breathing free. Frackers showing their faces here have already found shotguns in their faces at midnight, and left. Many of our boys still know how to take a scalp with just a tomahawk, bilateral damage is not frowned upon. They learned from their French ancestors.

Antifracking is the one thing Cuomo got right. You don't know.
fraccers here..........sorry. I was trying to be nice. Say. You have the Arbuckle or Gronning formation under you?

fraccers here..........sorry. I was trying to be nice. Say. You have the Arbuckle or Gronning formation under you?

I don't know, I don't care.

Nothing to be sorry about. Your intent was far from malicious.

Can't really agree here. They always have closed down the streets of Manhattan and it changes the dynamic a bit but look at the holidays, the streets are effectively closed down by volume and the city prospers.

Heck, when I got caught in a presidential closed down I would go to a bar, restaurant or shop. Generally a bar. ;)

What about the NYC Watershed?

I'm a city boy, however very much also an upstate man. Born in Brooklyn, raised in and living in Queens, owning a small farm with a manor house in Rhinebeck, and now 586,000 acres of arbored land in NW NYS. Three to four very distinct cultures separate the people of the State, and most city people are ignorant of the rest of the state. Money is a relatively minor issue, culture a shock. If you don't speak French you are the enemy to true upstaters. Dutch and German helps.

What are they? I wouldn't consider Rhinebeck as being 'upstate'. And where are all these French speaking people you speak of?

Back
Top Bottom