• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What the hell Congress

The only people that are on the hook for shutting down the government is Reid and the senate. Vote on the hosue bill as passed and everything is fine. Refuse to or stick more amendments in it...and they shut it down. The house already passed their plan and you bet...it defunded Obamacare. Democrats dont even want to see Obamacare implemented so the house did them a favor. But if you were a betting man, what are the odds Reid puts it back in on the legislation put before the senate? Be honest.

Why do you keep saying Dems don't want to fund Obamacare? What evidence do you have of that?

Anyway, and again, you cannot vote on a bill being filibustered. Also after the Senate passes the House bill it would go to the President for a signature, do you think Obama is going to defund his own law? If they wanted it defunded than why are the Republicans threatening to filibuster an attempt to defund it, shouldn't this situation be reversed?

Personally I'd like to see the Republicans and Dems work together to come up with a mutually workable solution instead of taking every opportunity and using every under handed tactic to force the other party into action against what they want to do, often using hostages like the pay of every service member as a threat. And let me emphasis that again, the Republicans here are using the gay of every service member as a hostage in order to try and attempt to defund Obamacare which any reasonable person, regardless of whether they support the law or not, would see is impossible since Obama will never sign that bill and Congress will never get 2/3s to over ride it.

Honestly I don't know what will happen, I used to scoff at every threat that was taken down to the wire as just political grandstanding that while stupid was harmless from a practical perspective. Then that ****ing mess of a sequester passed despite most predictions that it would be avoided at the last second, now I have to take these threats seriously. I think that if Cruz is unable to get a filibuster than Reid and Senate Dems will remove the defunding of Obamacare and kick it back to the House for another vote, if Cruz can get a filibuster than I'd predict a government shut down.

Why do you keep saying Dems don't want to fund Obamacare? What evidence do you have of that?

Anyway, and again, you cannot vote on a bill being filibustered. Also after the Senate passes the House bill it would go to the President for a signature, do you think Obama is going to defund his own law? If they wanted it defunded than why are the Republicans threatening to filibuster an attempt to defund it, shouldn't this situation be reversed?

Personally I'd like to see the Republicans and Dems work together to come up with a mutually workable solution instead of taking every opportunity and using every under handed tactic to force the other party into action against what they want to do, often using hostages like the pay of every service member as a threat. And let me emphasis that again, the Republicans here are using the gay of every service member as a hostage in order to try and attempt to defund Obamacare which any reasonable person, regardless of whether they support the law or not, would see is impossible since Obama will never sign that bill and Congress will never get 2/3s to over ride it.

Honestly I don't know what will happen, I used to scoff at every threat that was taken down to the wire as just political grandstanding that while stupid was harmless from a practical perspective. Then that ****ing mess of a sequester passed despite most predictions that it would be avoided at the last second, now I have to take these threats seriously. I think that if Cruz is unable to get a filibuster than Reid and Senate Dems will remove the defunding of Obamacare and kick it back to the House for another vote, if Cruz can get a filibuster than I'd predict a government shut down.
Perhaps you missed the furor that began a few weeks ago when the Obama administration slammed the breaks on the business mandate. They KNOW how bad it is going to be for business, the economy, for unemployment. They want to wait...well...at least until after the 2014 election. Obamas campaign supporters are begging for exemptions. Everyone wants out because they know it is a POS.

Yeah...you do. You KNOW Reid will reinsert the funding into the bill. Yo KNOW that. At which point it will be sent back to the House, and you will start a thread about what the hell Congress....why cant the house just sign the democrats legislation so government can stay funded.

Yeah...I mean its not like democrats did this sort of thing to ram through that abortion of legislation known as Obamacare in the first place. Playing politics? I mean...WTF republicans? Why cant you be more like democrats?

The AHC act passed the Senate with 60 votes. How many votes do you think the Houses' bill to defund it will get tomorrow?

The AHC act passed the Senate with 60 votes. How many votes do you think the Houses' bill to defund it will get tomorrow?
Enough.

Perhaps you missed the furor that began a few weeks ago when the Obama administration slammed the breaks on the business mandate. They KNOW how bad it is going to be for business, the economy, for unemployment. They want to wait...well...at least until after the 2014 election. Obamas campaign supporters are begging for exemptions. Everyone wants out because they know it is a POS.

Yeah...you do. You KNOW Reid will reinsert the funding into the bill. Yo KNOW that. At which point it will be sent back to the House, and you will start a thread about what the hell Congress....why cant the house just sign the democrats legislation so government can stay funded.

So why don't they vote to defund it? You say they want to and the chance is sitting right in front of them, so why not? Anyway, I'll criticize any action taken by either Senate Dems or House Repubs that is done to purely play politics and not to operate a functioning government. I want the House to have a say in the laws that are passed and I don't expect the elected representatives of the House to roll over for the Senate, nor vice versa and that's not dependent on which party has a majority in what House. The House obviously has a different perspective than the Senate, and it should be represented because after all they are a branch of Congress and do represent the people who elected them despite whatever may personal opinions of them may be.

Now what I'd like the Republicans to do is realize that Obamacare is a no-go, they aren't going to get that **** defunded or repealed but perhaps they can achieve another goal elsewhere and the Senate Dems should be ready and willing to engage them on this point as well. Of course its a little ****ing late now to be making deals and compromises but better late than never.

What I don't want to see is the Dems, if Cruz can't get his filibuster and the bill goes up for a vote, is to simply fund Obamacare, make no other changes, and kick to back to the House and ask Republicans to eat a bowl of **** just like the Republicans just ask the Senate Dems to do. Remember what I said about not wanting to see this kind of behavior in either party? That's what I mean. The Senate should get a vote on the bill, fund Obamacare if they want and change something else that the House Republicans want as a form of compromise so both sides can achieve something and the government can keep functioning.

If the Senate Dems end up kicking the bill back to House with no change other than funding Obamacare than its no different of a "**** you" than the House Reps gave Senate Dems and just as unhelpful and unlikely to accomplish anything and I promise, I promise you, that I will be just as upset at Senate Dems then as I am at House Reps now.

The funny thing is that if Obamacare was REALLY such a downer you would think the Reps. would be anxious for it to be implemented so they could reap the benefits of "I told you so" but NO. They are climbing the walls in fear that once it is implemented the people will see its true benefits and it will be sitting right next to SS and Medicare as another page in the new Bill of Rights. It is pretty sad to see such desperation within one of our 2 major political parties especially when it is attempting to trick Americans into rejecting the 1st major overhaul of our healthcare system in 100 years. Will we wait another 100 years for the next one if you succeed?

So why don't they vote to defund it? You say they want to and the chance is sitting right in front of them, so why not? Anyway, I'll criticize any action taken by either Senate Dems or House Repubs that is done to purely play politics and not to operate a functioning government. I want the House to have a say in the laws that are passed and I don't expect the elected representatives of the House to roll over for the Senate, nor vice versa and that's not dependent on which party has a majority in what House. The House obviously has a different perspective than the Senate, and it should be represented because after all they are a branch of Congress and do represent the people who elected them despite whatever may personal opinions of them may be.

Now what I'd like the Republicans to do is realize that Obamacare is a no-go, they aren't going to get that **** defunded or repealed but perhaps they can achieve another goal elsewhere and the Senate Dems should be ready and willing to engage them on this point as well. Of course its a little ****ing late now to be making deals and compromises but better late than never.

What I don't want to see is the Dems, if Cruz can't get his filibuster and the bill goes up for a vote, is to simply fund Obamacare, make no other changes, and kick to back to the House and ask Republicans to eat a bowl of **** just like the Republicans just ask the Senate Dems to do. Remember what I said about not wanting to see this kind of behavior in either party? That's what I mean. The Senate should get a vote on the bill, fund Obamacare if they want and change something else that the House Republicans want as a form of compromise so both sides can achieve something and the government can keep functioning.

If the Senate Dems end up kicking the bill back to House with no change other than funding Obamacare than its no different of a "**** you" than the House Reps gave Senate Dems and just as unhelpful and unlikely to accomplish anything and I promise, I promise you, that I will be just as upset at Senate Dems then as I am at House Reps now.
Pure politics of course. They wont vote to defund it because they cant blame that on the republicans if they do.

Ive said all along...strictly from a POLITICAL standpoint the republicans should not only fund it but make double damn sure EVERY business and individual receives the blessings from this POS legislation. Of course...when businesses continued to lay people off to avoid being stuck with the bill the nation, people, and economy would suffer, but from a purely political perspective? Thats what they should have done.

The funny thing is that if Obamacare was REALLY such a downer you would think the Reps. would be anxious for it to be implemented so they could reap the benefits of "I told you so" but NO. They are climbing the walls in fear that once it is implemented the people will see its true benefits and it will be sitting right next to SS and Medicare as another page in the new Bill of Rights. It is pretty sad to see such desperation within one of our 2 major political parties especially when it is attempting to trick Americans into rejecting the 1st major overhaul of our healthcare system in 100 years. Will we wait another 100 years for the next one if you succeed?
You must have missed the numerous times I have stated that very thing. The BEST thing politically the GOP could do is force feed this POS down everyones throats...especially all the people that supported its passage.

You must have missed the numerous times I have stated that very thing. The BEST thing politically the GOP could do is force feed this POS down everyones throats...especially all the people that supported its passage.

Then why are they acting so frightened of its implementation? It will only make it worse when it becomes the most popular Govt. program of all. They will all look like partisan traitors with blind hatred of anything Obama or the Dems do. It will be even worse than after the Dems passed Medicare.

Yeah...I mean its not like democrats did this sort of thing to ram through that abortion of legislation known as Obamacare in the first place. Playing politics? I mean...WTF republicans? Why cant you be more like democrats?

I wish the Democrats did do this sort of thing. We could have defunded the Iraqi fiasco and saved $3T and the biggest foreign policy defeat since Vietnam. But regrettably Democrats actually believe in democracy and don't play hardball.

You can't provide on example where the Democrats tried to defund a standing program. It's just something you've made up to defend the indefensible: tea party nihilism.

Pure politics of course. They wont vote to defund it because they cant blame that on the republicans if they do.

Ive said all along...strictly from a POLITICAL standpoint the republicans should not only fund it but make double damn sure EVERY business and individual receives the blessings from this POS legislation. Of course...when businesses continued to lay people off to avoid being stuck with the bill the nation, people, and economy would suffer, but from a purely political perspective? Thats what they should have done.

You want the Republicans to implement law that you believe is bad and in your words would make the nation, people, and economy "suffer" just so they can score political points?

What the **** man? That's the kind of attitude that makes problems not solves them. Of course you said "from a strictly political standpoint" so perhaps that's not really what you think, so what do you think the Senate and the House should do in regards to this? I mean you really didn't address my post so I take it to mean you can't find much fault with it

Then why are they acting so frightened of its implementation? It will only make it worse when it becomes the most popular Govt. program of all. They will all look like partisan traitors with blind hatred of anything Obama or the Dems do. It will be even worse than after the Dems passed Medicare.

Frightened? Have you been observing the number of employers laying off people, reducing hours, and begging and pleading for exemptions?

It isn't going to be popular. Hell..:YOU don't want it. You want universal healthcare and see this as a first step to getting it. Oh...it will be popular at first. There are already a line of blind muppets nodding enthusiastically about it. But...see...THEY dot know what they are nodding about. They think they are getting free healthcare.

You want the Republicans to implement law that you believe is bad and in your words would make the nation, people, and economy "suffer" just so they can score political points?

What the **** man? That's the kind of attitude that makes problems not solves them. Of course you said "from a strictly political standpoint" so perhaps that's not really what you think, so what do you think the Senate and the House should do in regards to this? I mean you really didn't address my post so I take it to mean you can't find much fault with it
strictly from a political perspective (as I said) it's the best thing the GOP could do. And of course you acknowledge that later so your whole "what the **** man" act looks pretty stupid.

I've long said what I think should happen. This POS legislation a should be scrapped and the responsibility for citizen healthcare should go where it belongs...the states. The citizens of the state should have to pay for it...as you go. No more mindlessly dumping debt onto future generations and burying our state problems in with the rest of the debt sinkhole.

Frightened? Have you been observing the number of employers laying off people, reducing hours, and begging and pleading for exemptions?

It isn't going to be popular. Hell..:YOU don't want it. You want universal healthcare and see this as a first step to getting it. Oh...it will be popular at first. There are already a line of blind muppets nodding enthusiastically about it. But...see...THEY dot know what they are nodding about. They think they are getting free healthcare.

Your as delusional as the pundits that had Romney winning and you are going to be just as depressed again I'm afraid. There is too much to like about Obamacare and what doesn't work will be fixed. It a sad and futile way to run your party into the ground. The Republicans do not look fit to govern at all with all these sideshows.

Your as delusional as the pundits that had Romney winning and you are going to be just as depressed again I'm afraid. There is too much to like about Obamacare and what doesn't work will be fixed. It a sad and futile way to run your party into the ground. The Republicans do not look fit to govern at all with all these sideshows.
Nah...I cant be depressed. I'm a realist. I get that we are on a never ending quest towards a handout welfare state. Heck...Im the guy that said before they ever passed Obamacare that it would be an obomination but really nothing more than a convenient gateway to socialized medicine. I'm still sticking to my 2016 prediction. This nation is full of crippled and dependent pets. Democrats know it, pander to them, and that population continues to grow. The ironic thing is if the liberal and progressive economic ideas and social spending actually WORKED...the country would be in GREAT shape because everyone would be engaged in them...practicing them. They dont work. They are dependent on other peoples money or future generations of debt to 'work'. That will be your legacy.

strictly from a political perspective (as I said) it's the best thing the GOP could do. And of course you acknowledge that later so your whole "what the **** man" act looks pretty stupid.

I've long said what I think should happen. This POS legislation a should be scrapped and the responsibility for citizen healthcare should go where it belongs...the states. The citizens of the state should have to pay for it...as you go. No more mindlessly dumping debt onto future generations and burying our state problems in with the rest of the debt sinkhole.

Well we got off topic this is about the possibility of the Senate Reps filibustering the House Reps bill, and the stupid political tactics both that and voting to defund Obamacare involve.

As most of us know the House recently passed a Republican drafted bill that would continue to fund the government but defund Obamacare as well, the idea is to force Senate Dems and the President into a tight spot by making them choose between either defunding Obamacare or allowing the government to shut down, in addition to drumming up the conservative base.

What you may not know is that Senate Republicans with Ted Cruz in the lead are planning to filibuster the House bill which funds the government but defunds Obamacare. That's right, Senate Republicans will try to prevent any vote on the House Republican bill which defunds Obamacare. Why? Because since the Senate has a Dem majority if the bill is allowed to have amendments voted on it they will vote to fund Obamacare again.

What this means is that unless the situation changes there's no way to avoid a government shut down, because Congress can neither pass nor reject the House Republican's bill due to the actions of Congress Republicans. Senate Dems could not defund Obamacare even if they wanted to pass the House bill because voting would be blocked on it if enough Senate Republicans back the filibuster.

Cruz Turns Obamacare Defunding Plan to Fiasco -- Daily Intelligencer

And somehow through all of this the Republicans are blaming Obama through all of this although its fully on the Congress to pass a law for the President to sign, he has no role in this until Congress passes a law which is now likely impossible since Republicans in the Senate have blocked any vote on anything.

It's not going to work anyway. McCain, McConnell, Cornyn, and Graham have already said they would not filibuster a bill they support. If all Democrats support cloture, that leaves two of Collins, Kirk, Heller, Murkowski, Flake, Chambliss, Johannas, Isakson, Chisea, Hatch, and Wicker. I'm sure at least two of them agree with the Republican leadership over Cruz.

Edit: Looks like you can add Hatch to that too. So they'd really only need one other vote.

Last edited:
They arent forcing a shutdown. All the dems have to do is agree to defund Obamacare and the government stays open. And lets be very honest...political points aside, thats what the democrats WANT. They dont WANT Obamacare to be enacted. They have been begging to suspend the business mandate and once private citizens get their feel for what it actually looks like...they will hate it too. Democrats arent running on "Obamacare is GOOD", they are running on "evil republicans hate you and want to deny you healthcare". If the GOP was being truly political and diabolical, they would have let that POS go into full effect.

The only threat of a shutdown will now come with democrats INSISTING that Obamacare must be funded and go forward...even though they dont WANT it to. How corrupt and inane is THAT?

Oh, good grief.

When in American history has ANY party ever before threatened to shut down the government if something that was the law of the land wasn't repealed? Never. Unless you count the Civil War when the South decided they had to secede because they were sure that Lincoln was going to repeal slavery.

What's happening, guy, is that the Republicans are quite literally holding the American economy hostage unless they get their way. "Do this, or we'll do that". And what kind of precedent would that set? If they were in the minority in the Senate, would you want the Democrats to shut down the government if the Republicans didn't do what they said? Do you really think that the GOP would give in to ANY demand by the Democrats if that were the case? Of course they wouldn't - and we'd be seeing a nonstop parade on television about how the Democrats were holding the government hostage if they didn't get their way.

But in this case, it's the Republicans doing it...and the thought that the Democrats should cave to the Republican demand is every bit as silly as the thought that the Republicans should cave if the situation was reversed.

Remember - despite what you yourself are calling it, Obamacare is a REPUBLICAN idea first proposed by the Heritage Foundation, supported by REPUBLICANS and put into place in Massachusetts by a REPUBLICAN governor who represented the REPUBLICAN party in the 2012 election. This REPUBLICAN idea is not as good as single-payer, but it's a damn sight better than leaving everything as it was. What most conservatives don't realize is that most Republicans either liked Obamacare - back when it was the 'Individual Mandate' made flesh in the form of Romneycare - or had no real opinion on it. Y'all started hating it as soon as Obama looked at the doom-and-gloom numbers from the CBO about single-payer, and said "Well, since single-payer can't be deficit neutral, let's try this REPUBLICAN idea and see if we can make it happen, because even that would be a heck of a lot better than doing nothing." So the Democrats decided to support what would someday become Obamacare...

...and as soon as the Left liked Obamacare nee Romneycare, the Right hated it, as they hated anything and everything else Obama ever said or did no matter how good or sensible it was.

And I've also found articles saying Johanns, Corker, Murkowski Collins, Ayotte, and Isakson also disagree with Cruz's tactic here. That's well over 60 votes.

Last edited:
Oh, good grief.

When in American history has ANY party ever before threatened to shut down the government if something that was the law of the land wasn't repealed? Never. Unless you count the Civil War when the South decided they had to secede because they were sure that Lincoln was going to repeal slavery.

What's happening, guy, is that the Republicans are quite literally holding the American economy hostage unless they get their way. "Do this, or we'll do that". And what kind of precedent would that set? If they were in the minority in the Senate, would you want the Democrats to shut down the government if the Republicans didn't do what they said? Do you really think that the GOP would give in to ANY demand by the Democrats if that were the case? Of course they wouldn't - and we'd be seeing a nonstop parade on television about how the Democrats were holding the government hostage if they didn't get their way.

But in this case, it's the Republicans doing it...and the thought that the Democrats should cave to the Republican demand is every bit as silly as the thought that the Republicans should cave if the situation was reversed.

Remember - despite what you yourself are calling it, Obamacare is a REPUBLICAN idea first proposed by the Heritage Foundation, supported by REPUBLICANS and put into place in Massachusetts by a REPUBLICAN governor who represented the REPUBLICAN party in the 2012 election. This REPUBLICAN idea is not as good as single-payer, but it's a damn sight better than leaving everything as it was. What most conservatives don't realize is that most Republicans either liked Obamacare - back when it was the 'Individual Mandate' made flesh in the form of Romneycare - or had no real opinion on it. Y'all started hating it as soon as Obama looked at the doom-and-gloom numbers from the CBO about single-payer, and said "Well, since single-payer can't be deficit neutral, let's try this REPUBLICAN idea and see if we can make it happen, because even that would be a heck of a lot better than doing nothing." So the Democrats decided to support what would someday become Obamacare...

...and as soon as the Left liked Obamacare nee Romneycare, the Right hated it, as they hated anything and everything else Obama ever said or did no matter how good or sensible it was.
The republicans are not the ones that will shut down the government. The republicans have already passed their legislation. And yes...it is very much partisan, as was the original vote on Obamacare. Difference being...this time the dems dont have the majority to vote on the legislation so that they can see whats in it. They know...they just dont like it. And shockingly enough, neither does Obama and the rich dems that supported this legislation and now want to be exempt from it.

1. A fillibuster is a delaying tactic. If you'll listen to the actual (interesting) live feed on CSPAN, Cruz is pretty open about the fact that this bill is going to pass.

2. That being said, this is about (as near as I can tell) equal parts bringing focus to the issue of Obamacare again right before it goes into effect (shape the narrative), and maneuvering for 2016 (put people on record).

The republicans are not the ones that will shut down the government. The republicans have already passed their legislation. And yes...it is very much partisan, as was the original vote on Obamacare. Difference being...this time the dems dont have the majority to vote on the legislation so that they can see whats in it. They know...they just dont like it. And shockingly enough, neither does Obama and the rich dems that supported this legislation and now want to be exempt from it.

"Obama and the rich dems" - ah, so now it's the Democrats who are the party of the rich, hm? Riiiiight. And you're yet another conservative who somehow thinks that the partisanship of the GOP is only a reaction to the partisanship of the Democratic party. But what you don't get is that since 2010, the Republicans have created the most obstructionist Congress since the Civil War. That's right - since the Civil War. A quarter of ALL filibusters in American history have come since Obama took office, and almost all of them by the Republicans AFTER the Democrats lost their supermajority in the Senate 72 in-session days after Obama took office the first time. THAT, sir, is partisanship. Heck, they even filibustered bills they themselves sponsored or co-sponsored!

And here's another clue - it's not just the 'rich dems' who supported - and continue to support - (the REPUBLICAN invention now called) Obamacare. It's the PEOPLE...especially the ones who don't have access to health insurance or, like me, whose close family members don't have access to health insurance.

And just this morning came the reports: For 95% of Americans, (the REPUBLICAN invention now called) Obamacare premiums will cost 16% lower than average than originally estimated.

Guy, what the GOP cognoscenti is afraid of isn't that (the REPUBLICAN invention now called) Obamacare will ruin the economy - especially since health spending is now growing at about the same rate as the rest of the economy for the first time in many, many years - what the GOP is REALLY afraid of is that (the REPUBLICAN invention now called) Obamacare will WORK...

...because if it does - and all indications are leaning strongly in that direction - the GOP will have another heaping helping of egg on its face just as it has had for opposing the Social Security and Medicare that so many of our elderly rely upon.

Last edited:
"Obama and the rich dems" - ah, so now it's the Democrats who are the party of the rich, hm? Riiiiight. And you're yet another conservative who somehow thinks that the partisanship of the GOP is only a reaction to the partisanship of the Democratic party. But what you don't get is that since 2010, the Republicans have created the most obstructionist Congress since the Civil War. That's right - since the Civil War. A quarter of ALL filibusters in American history have come since Obama took office, and almost all of them by the Republicans AFTER the Democrats lost their supermajority in the Senate 72 in-session days after Obama took office the first time. THAT, sir, is partisanship. Heck, they even filibustered bills they themselves sponsored or co-sponsored!

And here's another clue - it's not just the 'rich dems' who supported - and continue to support - (the REPUBLICAN invention now called) Obamacare. It's the PEOPLE...especially the ones who don't have access to health insurance or, like me, whose close family members don't have access to health insurance.

And just this morning came the reports: For 95% of Americans, (the REPUBLICAN invention now called) Obamacare premiums will cost 16% lower than average than originally estimated.

Guy, what the GOP cognoscenti is afraid of isn't that (the REPUBLICAN invention now called) Obamacare will ruin the economy - especially since health spending is now growing at about the same rate as the rest of the economy for the first time in many, many years - what the GOP is REALLY afraid of is that (the REPUBLICAN invention now called) Obamacare will WORK...

...because if it does - and all indications are leaning strongly in that direction - the GOP will have another heaping helping of egg on its face just as it has had for opposing the Social Security and Medicare that so many of our elderly rely upon.
Dood...do you just bob and swallow EVERYTHING they feed you? Do you know which party the richest congressmen and women belong to?

Dood...do you just bob and swallow EVERYTHING they feed you? Do you know which party the richest congressmen and women belong to?

Ah. And which party was it that raised hell when the Democrats wanted to raise taxes on the rich? Which party was it that said the Democrats were being unfair to the oh-so-holy "Job Creators"?

What's funny is that you may actually believe this silly argument dishonest argument. Obamaphobia does that to the tea party brain.

Back
Top Bottom