• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What law would've prevented this?

Antiwar

Green Party progressive
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Note: This isn't a gun control thread.

Is asking "What gun control law(s) would've prevented this shooting?" a legitimate question?

Is asking "What gun control law(s) would've prevented this shooting?" a legitimate question?

The laws that prevent it in all other developed countries.

The laws that prevent it in all other developed countries.
It's like asking "What law would prevent each and every murder?" It's a bogus gotcha question.

You will never get them to commit to any kind of measurement for their policies. They just continue to repeat we must pass more laws without ever explaining how they will help.

Personally, I believe someone with balls will have to make a bold move, then let the lawsuits move through the courts.

I would ban all semi-autos, and only make revolvers, shotguns, and bolt action rifles available.

I believe this fulfills 2A. I wouldn't do a gun grab. I'd support a buyback program, and a 10-year sunset on grandfathered weapons.

Confiscate everything used in crimes, no serials, black market, gang weapons, etc.

Personally, I believe someone with balls will have to make a bold move, then let the lawsuits move through the courts.

I would ban all semi-autos, and only make revolvers, shotguns, and bolt action rifles available.

I believe this fulfills 2A. I wouldn't do a gun grab. I'd support a buyback program, and a 10-year sunset on grandfathered weapons.

Confiscate everything used in crimes, no serials, black market, gang weapons, etc.
That's pretty good, but this isn't a gun control thread.

So my understanding is that the FBI took his gun because he was insane. Maybe a law that compelled gun sellers to insure that their customers aren't on a mentally ill list might have stopped this.

A revolver is a semi-automatic weapon, just so you know.

Im not gonna get into a 2nd Amendment argument but it does not say you have the right to bear some arms.

Laws against guns mean a person carrying one can be arrested, detained, jailed and subdued long before they shoot anyone. It's not hard to understand, IMO.

A revolver is a semi-automatic weapon, just so you know.

Im not gonna get into a 2nd Amendment argument but it does not say you have the right to bear some arms.

I don't have a problem with revolvers. After 6 shots, there's an opportunity to tackle the shooter.

That's pretty good, but this isn't a gun control thread.

"Is asking "What gun control law(s) would've prevented this shooting?" a legitimate question?"

It's a legitimate question, and I supplied my answer.

Register gun owners federally similar to concealed carry. Only gun owners can buy or be in possession of guns. Must be 21 and take classes and pass all background checks. Anyone in possession of a firearm not a registered gun owner is guilty of a felony and subject to instant arrest and prosecution. Gun owners must post a $5000 dollar bond subject to forfeit if they fail to secure their guns from non-gunowners including theft. This will replace other existing gun laws.

This would have prevented many of the latest shooting. The shooters are young and will not go through the process of being registered and post a $5000 bond. It will also prevent many illegal street sales and reduce gun thefts because gun owners will have some liability and the penalty of having a gun and not be a registered gun owner will be significant and easily confirmed by law enforcement.

Assault weapons ban with a highly aggressive volunteer buy back program, gun registration and mandatory gun owner insurance and THOROUGH background checks and an opening up of manufacturer liability.

Last edited:

Well, if you believe that no law would have prevented the shooting, why do you support laws that do nothing but criminalize gun owners? Could it be that you just want more and more laws in order to get around the 2A?

I guess I should've put the question in the title.

Laws against guns mean a person carrying one can be arrested, detained, jailed and subdued long before they shoot anyone. It's not hard to understand, IMO.

Another way to put it is that filthy leftists support arresting and imprisoning people who have harmed no one.

What if he has multiple guns? What if he has practiced reloading?

*shrug*?

But it sounds like you won't miss your semi-auto, since Jerry will teach everyone to speed load.

Another way to put it is that filthy leftists support arresting and imprisoning people who have harmed no one.

They've been doing that for decades to anyone walking down the street smoking a joint. And it wasn't leftists doing it.

Why would anyone be arrested and imprisoned if they complied with the law?

Also consider, speeding and DUI are victimless crimes until that behavior causes an accident.

Bring back mental institutions for the criminally insane. Keep them locked up until they pose no danger to themselves and others.

So my understanding is that the FBI took his gun because he was insane. Maybe a law that compelled gun sellers to insure that their customers aren't on a mentally ill list might have stopped this.
FFL’s, aka gun sellers are required to run background checks on persons buying guns now. Probably is the result is only as good as the data.

Why would anyone be arrested and imprisoned if they complied with the law?

If the law criminalizes peaceful, non-violent behavior, then the law by definition is tyrannical.

Also consider, speeding and DUI are victimless crimes until that behavior causes an accident.

Speeding, driving recklessly, driving while very tired, etc, increase your chances of an accident. Driving slowly and carefully reduces your chances of causing an accident, but it doesn't eliminate it. Every time you get behind the wheel, you are risking other people's lives.

Back
Top Bottom