• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What is the ideal family?

Would you say that children growing up in a family where the parents practiced bestiality would be harmful for the children? Do you have evidence? Would that meet most definitions of deviant? Deviancy is a socially constructed morality. If the society is accepting of previously deviant behaviors, the society is morally bankrupt.

Comparing homosexuality to bestiality has got to be one of the most ignorant things I've ever heard on this site. I would have expected something a whole lot better from you. Your definition of deviance seems to be seeped in bigotry and ignorace of facts. I used to try to debate folks like you, but I've learned that those who do not want to be educated on these issues are not worth my time. Let me know when you actually want to discuss the topic with out absurdities and nonsense.

That is just it...it is not a "naturally occurring and harmless behavior". It would damage the moral fabric of the child. Your evidence does not address this.

You have no evidence that it does this. When you do, let us know. Until then, why don't you do some reading and educate yourself on the issue.

This is not equavalent. Again, you don't like the facts and can't counter so you are changing the argument. Race is different from behavior. This is nothing but a fallacy and race-baiting. Leave it to a progressive to equate a sexual behavior to to a classification system which doesn't even bioligically exist.

You are another one who needs to educate themselves. Tell us the difference between sexual behavior and sexual orientation.

Keep reading dude, you missed the best parts. When I finally get him to express his opposition to same sex couples raising kids, he argues it is becasue they may have anal sex.

I saw. He's a pretty good debater, most of the time. On this issue, his position is completely absurd and illogical.

...[Homosexuality is not normal]...

Okay, let's address this point.

According to the latest data, homosexuals accout for 8% of the population. That is from the largest nationally representative study of sexual and sexual-health behaviors ever fielded.

National Survey of Sexual Health and Behavior

Stastically speaking, on a normal curve, a behavior is only abnormal if it is two standard deviations from the mean. In percentages, that means a behavior is only considered abnormal or deviant if it occurs in less than 5% of the population. So statically, homosexuality is normal.

As we discussed earlier, homosexual behavior also occurs prevalantly in nature. That doesn't make it moral, but it does make it normal in the natural sense.

Homosexual behavior, in and of itself, also does not cause dysfunction in day to day life. It doesn't lead to procreation, but there are heterosexual people who choose not to procreate and we still consider them normal.

Homosexual behavior, in and of itself, is not harmful or dangerous. Certain sexual practices, such as promiscous, unprotected anal sex can be dangerous, but that is a matter of choice, and either gay or straight people can practice it.

Homosexual behavior does not cause distress. To date, there is no psychological test or instrument that can measure a difference between the mental health of gay and straights.

So to argue that a behavior that occurs in a sizeable minority of the population, that occurs in nature, presents no harm or danger, causes no dysfunction, and is not distressing to the people who practice it, is somehow "not normal" does not make any sense. It is simply interjecting an unfounded bias, which you are entitled to, but which unsubstantiated nontheless.

...[Homosexuality is a choice]...

So what?

I don't know if I chose to be gay or not. It is not a choice I remember making. However, assuming I did make a choice to be gay, what basis do you have to argue that someone should be denied the right to raise children because they chose a sexual partner of the same sex?

The answer is absolutely none.

You are free, to date, to pass laws stating that people have to be married to adopt children, but that is the limt. And as I said before, given that we already have more children in state care than we have homes to adopt them, I think it would be irresponsbile policy.

Yet, you have admitted that gays have a desire to procreate as well but that they choose to be with someone that they know they can't have children with. So do you think that an infertile heterosexual couple is more desirable than a gay couple, just because of their sexual orientation? Because afterall, some couples know before they get married that one of them can't have children. Do you think that gay couples should not be allowed to have their own children, via in vitro or surrogate help? Why should a gay couple have to prove that their relationship is more stable than a straight couple (like the 3 or 10 years marriage thing)?
Again you aren't reading what I've typed. I NEVER said that a gay couple has to prove that their relationship are more stable than a straight couple. I have specifically made the point that anyone wishing to adopt should have this same rule applied. Stop putting words in my mouth and read what I have said or any further responses from you won't deserve a response from me.
Okay. If being gay is a choice, then they have chosen not to procreate in choosing a partner of the same sex. Why then would they want to raise kids? Procreating includes or is having heterosexual sex with the objective to create a child, the mother carrying the child for nine months conditioning it to her voice, smells, etc., giving birth, and then raising the child once born. So your telling me that gays are choosing to skip all the most important aspects of procreating, to jump all the way to the end part of raising a child. Why? How is that at all favorable to the child when it's obvious that the child should be with it's mother or father whom it was conditioned to know while in the womb?

According to the latest data, homosexuals accout for 8% of the population. That is from the largest nationally representative study of sexual and sexual-health behaviors ever fielded.

National Survey of Sexual Health and Behavior

Stastically speaking, on a normal curve, a behavior is only abnormal if it is two standard deviations from the mean. In percentages, that means a behavior is only considered abnormal or deviant if it occurs in less than 5% of the population. So statically, homosexuality is normal.
Sigh. Read again. I was talking about the world population, as we've been talking about the species as a whole, not just from a certain nationality or culture. When applying the rest of the world's population, and not just the U.S., which has a higher percentage of gays than anywhere else, it's much lower.
Let's assume that the world homosexual percentage is 8%. That is still lower than the 10% rule that 10% of a population are self-centered, anti-social, psychopathic, abusing, people. Should these kinds of people raise kids? You and I both agree that we already have to more than enough kids to adopt, why add more by allowing these kinds of people to procreate?

As we discussed earlier, homosexual behavior also occurs prevalantly in nature. That doesn't make it moral, but it does make it normal in the natural sense.
No. We we never discussed this as all you do is ignore what others write and nick-pick through posts, taking things out of context and putting words in peoples mouth. That is not a discussion. Again, for the umpteenth time, anyone engaged in the most elementary animal observation is forced to conclude that animal "homosexuality," "filicide" and "cannibalism" are exceptions to normal animal behavior. Consequently, they cannot be called normal.

Homosexual behavior, in and of itself, also does not cause dysfunction in day to day life. It doesn't lead to procreation, but there are heterosexual people who choose not to procreate and we still consider them normal.
Of course they are normal. They have no wish to procreate and I applaud them for making that decision and not have kids when they don't want them. However they are not then wanting to raise someone else's unwanted kids. Their actions aren't contradictory.

Homosexual behavior, in and of itself, is not harmful or dangerous. Certain sexual practices, such as promiscous, unprotected anal sex can be dangerous, but that is a matter of choice, and either gay or straight people can practice it.
Right. So homosexual kids or children raised by homosexual are never made fun of? That isn't placing unnecessary stress on a child? And don't give me the crap about people should be more open-minded. We're talking about kids bullying other kids and parents and kids making the choice of not wanting their kids or themselves around homosexuals or kids raised by homosexuals, which according to you, is normal since it's frequency is higher than the frequency of homosexual behavior in humans.

Homosexual behavior does not cause distress. To date, there is no psychological test or instrument that can measure a difference between the mental health of gay and straights.
Sheesh! Listen to yourself. All through this thread you have made claims to be the authority of logical and intelligent debate while at the same time making blithering comments like this. You should seriously consider changing your name to Hypocritical Thought. If we have no test or instrument that can measure a difference between the mental health of gay and straights, then how did you arrive at the conclusion that homosexual behavior does not cause distress?:doh

I don't know if I chose to be gay or not. It is not a choice I remember making. However, assuming I did make a choice to be gay, what basis do you have to argue that someone should be denied the right to raise children because they chose a sexual partner of the same sex?
LOL. You make a choice everyday when you overlook mens' sexual attractiveness and focus on women's sexual attractiveness. When you hate pears and love apples and are offered one of each, which one do you "choose"?

You are free, to date, to pass laws stating that people have to be married to adopt children, but that is the limt. And as I said before, given that we already have more children in state care than we have homes to adopt them, I think it would be irresponsbile policy.
Yes, I heard you. I read what you type. If you can't do the same for me then you don't deserve another response from me either. If you are so concerned over the rights of gays to adopt, how can you not be concerned over the rights of innocent children who have no loving homes? By your own arguments you should be demanding that gays adopt rather than use in vitro or surrogate help to have a kid. Unconceived beings don't have rights and aren't waiting for a loving home. Put your money where your mouth is and demand this of all people who want to have kids but can't. Demand that people who have kids yet never wanted them, to stop doing this. This is the issue. Not gay rights to adopt. The social injustice of gays not being able to adopt is virtually non-existent in comparison with the social injustice of neglected and abused children without a loving home.

Last edited:
That is still lower than the 10% rule that 10% of a population are self-centered, anti-social, psychopathic, abusing, people. Should these kinds of people raise kids? You and I both agree that we already have to more than enough kids to adopt, why add more by allowing these kinds of people to procreate?

The 10% rule? Never heard of it. Do you even have a definition of normal?

No. We we never discussed this as all you do is ignore what others write and nick-pick through posts, taking things out of context and putting words in peoples mouth. That is not a discussion. Again, for the umpteenth time, anyone engaged in the most elementary animal observation is forced to conclude that animal "homosexuality," "filicide" and "cannibalism" are exceptions to normal animal behavior. Consequently, they cannot be called normal.

Thank you again for taking my words out of context. I only argued it occurs prevalently in nature. I didn't argue that it was moral. However, when a certain behaviors across hundreds of species of animals and rather consistently within a certain percentage of those animals, then it is safe to say it is normal. Does your definition of normal mean moral?

Right. So homosexual kids or children raised by homosexual are never made fun of? That isn't placing unnecessary stress on a child? And don't give me the crap about people should be more open-minded. We're talking about kids bullying other kids and parents and kids making the choice of not wanting their kids or themselves around homosexuals or kids raised by homosexuals, which according to you, is normal since it's frequency is higher than the frequency of homosexual behavior in humans.

Sounds like the problem is bullying, not homosexuality. That occurs if a kid is fat, too short, too tall, has a funny last name, etc.

If we have no test or instrument that can measure a difference between the mental health of gay and straights, then how did you arrive at the conclusion that homosexual behavior does not cause distress?:doh

This is the dumbest thing I think I have ever heard on this forum. If you can't tell the difference, that means there is no difference. By any pschological instrument a hetersexual person is as likely to be distressed as a homosexual person.

LOL. You make a choice everyday when you overlook mens' sexual attractiveness and focus on women's sexual attractiveness. When you hate pears and love apples and are offered one of each, which one do you "choose"?

Based on what I know of the psychology of choice, preference is largely determined by emotional memory, not by rational oversight. While we are on the topic, do I also choose to have sex dreams about guys? Do I choose to be sexually aroused by the sight of them? Do I choose to feel repulsion towards aspects of the female body?

Furthermore, here is the big question. Could you choose to be attracted to someone of the same sex? If you are arguing that it is choice, then that means you feel it is within your power to be attracted to the same sex.

Yes, I heard you. I read what you type. If you can't do the same for me then you don't deserve another response from me either. If you are so concerned over the rights of gays to adopt, how can you not be concerned over the rights of innocent children who have no loving homes? By your own arguments you should be demanding that gays adopt rather than use in vitro or surrogate help to have a kid. Unconceived beings don't have rights and aren't waiting for a loving home. Put your money where your mouth is and demand this of all people who want to have kids but can't. Demand that people who have kids yet never wanted them, to stop doing this. This is the issue. Not gay rights to adopt. The social injustice of gays not being able to adopt is virtually non-existent in comparison with the social injustice of neglected and abused children without a loving home.

I actually do prefer that people adopt rather than using in vitro. I think in vitro tends to be for those who are a little too egotistical to adopt. However, the way state laws are now, I don't blame gays for choosing in vitro so that at least one of them is the biological parent and their kids aren't taken away from them just for crossing state lines.

Last edited:
The 10% rule? Never heard of it. Do you even have a definition of normal?

Thank you again for taking my words out of context. I only argued it occurs prevalently in nature. I didn't argue that it was moral. However, when a certain behaviors across hundreds of species of animals and rather consistently within a certain percentage of those animals, then it is safe to say it is normal. Does your definition of normal mean moral?
Normal to me means what a majority of a species does a majority of the time. No my definition of normal and moral are not the same. You are the one that keeps bringing up the word moral, not me. I haven't mentioned it once. So how you could think that is what I was insinuating could only mean that you still aren't reading what I type. Yes, you are arguing that prevalent behavior is the same as normal behavior. You did it just now. Eating **** and eating the placenta after birth is also a prevalent behavior among many species. Also mounting others of your species as a show of dominance is also prevalent. Does that mean it is normal (not moral) for humans to do it?

Sounds like the problem is bullying, not homosexuality. That occurs if a kid is fat, too short, too tall, has a funny last name, etc.
Right. These are all uncontrollable conditions whereas allowing gays to adopt a child is not. If a child is already fat, short, tall or has a funny name, then why add more reasons to have someone make fun of them? Here you are claiming that a child's feelings are less important than a gays right to adopt.

This is the dumbest thing I think I have ever heard on this forum. If you can't tell the difference, that means there is no difference. By any pschological instrument a hetersexual person is as likely to be distressed as a homosexual person.
LOL. Heterosexuals and homosexuals are likely to be affected by the same kinds of stress for one reason or the other. However, heterosexuals do not have the added stress of being shunned by a majority of society, nor does their sexual behavior account for 61% of all AIDs cases:
United States HIV & AIDS statistics summary
Care to give any examples of stress that heterosexuals are capable of experiencing that homosexuals do not?

Based on what I know of the psychology of choice, preference is largely determined by emotional memory, not by rational oversight. While we are on the topic, do I also choose to have sex dreams about guys? Do I choose to be sexually aroused by the sight of them? Do I choose to feel repulsion towards aspects of the female body?

Furthermore, here is the big question. Could you choose to be attracted to someone of the same sex? If you are arguing that it is choice, then that means you feel it is within your power to be attracted to the same sex.
Right. Does a psychopathic killer have a choice to not kill? Does a handicap person have the choice to walk? Even if it isn't a choice, it doesn't make it normal, the condition or the behavior, whichever way you want to look at it. These are all exceptions to normal conditions or behaviors but doesn't mean the condition or behavior is moral or not.

Normal to me means what a majority of a species does a majority of the time. No my definition of normal and moral are not the same. You are the one that keeps bringing up the word moral, not me. I haven't mentioned it once. So how you could think that is what I was insinuating could only mean that you still aren't reading what I type. Yes, you are arguing that prevalent behavior is the same as normal behavior. You did it just now. Eating **** and eating the placenta after birth is also a prevalent behavior among many species. Also mounting others of your species as a show of dominance is also prevalent. Does that mean it is normal (not moral) for humans to do it?

There are humans who eat the placentas after birth. Live a while in Hawaii, you'll see. And it is perfectly legal. In fact, as long as the doctors and hospital staff are informed of the religious beliefs of the parents before the birth, it is completely legal to take it home for that purpous or to bury it (which is another very uncommon practice).

Right. These are all uncontrollable conditions whereas allowing gays to adopt a child is not. If a child is already fat, short, tall or has a funny name, then why add more reasons to have someone make fun of them? Here you are claiming that a child's feelings are less important than a gays right to adopt.

Actually, being fat is not completely uncontrollable depending on the genetics of the child.

And what about if the person who is adopting the child has a horrible last name that may cause teasing? Should that be a reason for someone not to be allowed to adopt? Should parents who don't believe in watching TV ever or who only listen to a certain type of non-mainstream music not be allowed to adopt because that situation could cause the child more stress or teasing? Should parents who dress oddly or behave out-of-the norm not be allowed to raise children?

Your argument here seems to be that gays are less ideal to adopt children because it may affect the children by causing more stress or teasing due to the parents' out-of-the-ordinary behavior, but there are plenty of heterosexual couples who behave in ways that could embarass their children.

My mother used to answer the door in a towel because her belief is that the human body is not a sexual object. She just doesn't feel uncomfortable being naked.

LOL. Heterosexuals and homosexuals are likely to be affected by the same kinds of stress for one reason or the other. However, heterosexuals do not have the added stress of being shunned by a majority of society, nor does their sexual behavior account for 61% of all AIDs cases:
United States HIV & AIDS statistics summary
Care to give any examples of stress that heterosexuals are capable of experiencing that homosexuals do not?

Unwanted pregnancies. Expense of birth control.

Right. Does a psychopathic killer have a choice to not kill? Does a handicap person have the choice to walk? Even if it isn't a choice, it doesn't make it normal, the condition or the behavior, whichever way you want to look at it. These are all exceptions to normal conditions or behaviors but doesn't mean the condition or behavior is moral or not.

I don't see what this has to do with the argument or the comment that it was made on.

I'm sure the psycopathic killer has just as much choice to kill as the homosexual does to act on their attraction to members of their own sex. The difference is when making those decisions, it is necessary to take into consideration the harm that will be done by doing those things. If a person is just pyschotic and isn't killing, then they really aren't doing harm, but when they cross that line, then harm is definitely being done. But, for being a homosexual, even if they choose to act on their attractions, as long as it is legally consentual, the acts themselves are not necessarily harmful to anyone. It is other choices that could make them harmful, such as practicing unsafe sex or sleeping with unknown or multiple partners without knowing if you or them may have some STD. But these things are choices that are made by heterosexuals as well.

Normal to me means what a majority of a species does a majority of the time.

By that definition of normal, homosexuality is not normal.

Of course, by that definition, left handed people aren't normal either.

You already stated that you support allowing gays to adopt children, so are you recanting that position? Are you going to make it illegal for people with funny last names to adopt children because then they might get bullied about it at school? Or here is a crazy idea, maybe we could address the bullying problem instead.

Unplanned or unwanted pregnancies.

You avoided the question. Can you choose to be sexually attracted to members of the same sex?

Last edited:

Sleeping isn't normal, either. Nor is eating.

I like most of the posts. What about the need for both male and female role models. Do we need both? Not saying two men or two women cant make awsome parents. But does leaving out one hurt the development of the child.

I like most of the posts. What about the need for both male and female role models. Do we need both? Not saying two men or two women cant make awsome parents. But does leaving out one hurt the development of the child.

If one exists, it doesn't seem to be measurable in outcome. Furthermore, extended family such as aunts, uncles, grandmothers, grandfathers, etc. can fill in any gaps that might exist from having two parents of the same sex.

Not measurably. If there is any harm done, it's completely overshadowed by the children having been adopted in the first place.

Sleeping isn't normal, either. Nor is eating.
This would be like saying being born and dying isn't normal. It is. All members of a species sleep and eat and are born and die. Not all members of species engage in homosexual behavior and forsake heterosexual behavior.

There are humans who eat the placentas after birth. Live a while in Hawaii, you'll see. And it is perfectly legal. In fact, as long as the doctors and hospital staff are informed of the religious beliefs of the parents before the birth, it is completely legal to take it home for that purpous or to bury it (which is another very uncommon practice).
Interesting. Although, again, I wasn't talking about what is legal (or moral). I was talking about what is normal. Eating a placenta is not practiced by a majority of the human species, therefore it is not considered normal behavior.

Actually, being fat is not completely uncontrollable depending on the genetics of the child.

And what about if the person who is adopting the child has a horrible last name that may cause teasing? Should that be a reason for someone not to be allowed to adopt? Should parents who don't believe in watching TV ever or who only listen to a certain type of non-mainstream music not be allowed to adopt because that situation could cause the child more stress or teasing? Should parents who dress oddly or behave out-of-the norm not be allowed to raise children?
Do any of these examples lead to 61% of AIDS cases or some other horrendous, incurable disease?

Unwanted pregnancies. Expense of birth control.
Unplanned or unwanted pregnancies.
Okay. Now, if faced with a choice of facing the possibility of an unwanted pregnancy or facing the possibility that you have a high chance of getting AIDS, which would you choose. I'm going to assume you will choose the least stressful of the two choices.

I don't see what this has to do with the argument or the comment that it was made on.

I'm sure the psycopathic killer has just as much choice to kill as the homosexual does to act on their attraction to members of their own sex. The difference is when making those decisions, it is necessary to take into consideration the harm that will be done by doing those things. If a person is just pyschotic and isn't killing, then they really aren't doing harm, but when they cross that line, then harm is definitely being done. But, for being a homosexual, even if they choose to act on their attractions, as long as it is legally consentual, the acts themselves are not necessarily harmful to anyone. It is other choices that could make them harmful, such as practicing unsafe sex or sleeping with unknown or multiple partners without knowing if you or them may have some STD. But these things are choices that are made by heterosexuals as well.
Yes, homosexual acts can be harmful. Again 61% (and this doesn't include heterosexual sex with or sharing of needles with those that acquired AIDS through homosexual acts) of AIDs cases is from homosexual behavior. What if a gay couple adopts a child and that child acquires AIDS from their parents "accidentally". What would your position be then?

Correct. Again, not normal does not mean immoral.

You already stated that you support allowing gays to adopt children, so are you recanting that position? Are you going to make it illegal for people with funny last names to adopt children because then they might get bullied about it at school? Or here is a crazy idea, maybe we could address the bullying problem instead.
Okay. Which is easier to deal with? Stopping bullying or stopping gays from adopting?

You avoided the question. Can you choose to be sexually attracted to members of the same sex?
Yes, you can. Although, I would agree that not all homosexuals choose. It could be a combination of genes and environmental ques for some of them.

Okay. Which is easier to deal with? Stopping bullying or stopping gays from adopting?

I'm sorry, I didn't realize we decided laws by what was perceived to be "easiest". I thought we did it based on what was the right thing to do. And it is right to attack the problem of bullying. Stopping gay parents from adopting isn't going to keep kids from finding other things to bully kids about. The problem is bullying, not adoption.

Yes, you can.

I didn't ask if I could, I asked if you could.

Can you choose to be sexually attracted to members of the same sex?

This would be like saying being born and dying isn't normal. It is. All members of a species sleep and eat and are born and die. Not all members of species engage in homosexual behavior and forsake heterosexual behavior.

Interesting. Although, again, I wasn't talking about what is legal (or moral). I was talking about what is normal. Eating a placenta is not practiced by a majority of the human species, therefore it is not considered normal behavior.

Do any of these examples lead to 61% of AIDS cases or some other horrendous, incurable disease?

Okay. Now, if faced with a choice of facing the possibility of an unwanted pregnancy or facing the possibility that you have a high chance of getting AIDS, which would you choose. I'm going to assume you will choose the least stressful of the two choices.

Yes, homosexual acts can be harmful. Again 61% (and this doesn't include heterosexual sex with or sharing of needles with those that acquired AIDS through homosexual acts) of AIDs cases is from homosexual behavior. What if a gay couple adopts a child and that child acquires AIDS from their parents "accidentally". What would your position be then?

Correct. Again, not normal does not mean immoral.

Yes, you can. Although, I would agree that not all homosexuals choose. It could be a combination of genes and environmental ques for some of them.

As a woman, if I were gay, the chances of me getting AIDS from homosexual sex is actually a lot less than having heterosexual sex. Lesbians are in the lowest risk of AIDS group. Monogamy also highly decreases the chance of AIDS, and I actually don't have a problem with limiting adoption to people in monogamous relationships, preferrably marriages. This is one of the many, many reasons that I would love to see same sex marriage legalized in every state.

As for the chance that a gay person may accidentally infect their child with AIDS, it would be the same risk or less than heterosexual couples in which one or both have AIDS. In fact, a woman can easily pass on AIDS to a nursing infant through breast milk. Not as easy to accidentally give AIDS to a child through blood transmission unless there is something very wrong going on. I haven't heard of a lot of parents that intentionally bleed on their children, gay or straight. In fact, I think most good parents will try to protect their children from their bodily fluids as a general rule (with the obvious exception of breast milk).

Stopping bullying is a lot more preferred to deal with. Bullying affects everyone, not just children of gay couples. In fact, bullying probably affects children of heterosexual parents a lot more frequently than children of gay parents.

<chirping crickets>
<chirping crickets>
I take the lack of any response to this question from either of you supports my argument that the homosexual lifestyle is more stressful than a heterosexual one.

As a woman, if I were gay, the chances of me getting AIDS from homosexual sex is actually a lot less than having heterosexual sex. Lesbians are in the lowest risk of AIDS group. Monogamy also highly decreases the chance of AIDS, and I actually don't have a problem with limiting adoption to people in monogamous relationships, preferrably marriages. This is one of the many, many reasons that I would love to see same sex marriage legalized in every state.
When incorporating the additional stress in a homosexual relationship that has been proven above, I would argue that a homosexual relationship has more stress and problems than a heterosexual one, and therefore is more likely to break apart.
Homosexual relationships typically last an average of one and one-half years, according to a study published in the journal AIDS. The findings, which were highlighted in an article in The Washington Times, were based on research by Dr. Maria Xiridou of the Amsterdam Municipal Health Services, who studied Dutch homosexual men and the transmission of HIV in the Netherlands, a gay-tolerant nation that has legalized homosexual marriage.
The study also found that homosexual men in "long-term" relationships have an average of eight sexual partners each year in addition to their relationship.
These findings are similar to earlier research that shows that most homosexuals are not monogamous. For example, a 1997 survey found that 91 percent of homosexual men reported having an average of 43 male sexual partners in their lifetime. The Washington Times article compared these findings to heterosexual relationships, where 67 percent of first marriages last at least 10 years and 50 percent last 20 years, while 75 percent of married couples say they have been faithful to their spouses.

As for the chance that a gay person may accidentally infect their child with AIDS, it would be the same risk or less than heterosexual couples in which one or both have AIDS. In fact, a woman can easily pass on AIDS to a nursing infant through breast milk. Not as easy to accidentally give AIDS to a child through blood transmission unless there is something very wrong going on. I haven't heard of a lot of parents that intentionally bleed on their children, gay or straight. In fact, I think most good parents will try to protect their children from their bodily fluids as a general rule (with the obvious exception of breast milk).
If the mother knows she has AIDS, she can use formula. The key is to know that you have it and then take the necessary precautions. Also, when you account for the fact that a certain percentage of heterosexual sex, shared needle use, and contaminated breast milk, originated from homosexual behavior (i.e, bisexuals with AIDS, homosexuals with AIDS sharing needles), then the 61% of AIDS cases caused by homosexual behavior is actually higher (at least two-thirds to three-quarters). I can never support an argument that basically says "Sure, everyone has problems or stress, so it couldn't hurt to add a little more".

Stopping bullying is a lot more preferred to deal with. Bullying affects everyone, not just children of gay couples. In fact, bullying probably affects children of heterosexual parents a lot more frequently than children of gay parents.
I disagree. While I agree that the number of bullying instances are more for heterosexuals than homosexuals, this is because homosexuals make up a vast majority of the population. If you want to talk about percentages or frequency, then I would argue that it is homosexuals that experience it more frequently compared to heterosexuals. A higher percentage of homosexuals experience bullying more often than heterosexuals.

I'm sorry, I didn't realize we decided laws by what was perceived to be "easiest". I thought we did it based on what was the right thing to do. And it is right to attack the problem of bullying. Stopping gay parents from adopting isn't going to keep kids from finding other things to bully kids about. The problem is bullying, not adoption.
LOL. I would argue that you have been the biggest "bully" in this thread, insulting others because their arguments don't fit your moral code and how you believe arguments should be presented, while several of your arguments could incur the same reaction based on how poorly they were presented. Morality is in the eye of the beholder. Morality is a normal condition of humans. So it is normal to hold moral positions even though they may conflict with others' morals. Also, bullying is prevalent among other species, so according to your line of thinking, bullying is normal.
Bullying usually starts with consistent name-calling and usually becomes no more serious than that. Some cases escalate to violence, but not most. So, just how do you propose we stop bullying? Should we nullify the 1st Amendment? Should we ban stand-up comedians from making jokes about anyone? Should you start with yourself and not make fun of people's comments?

I didn't ask if I could, I asked if you could.

Can you choose to be sexually attracted to members of the same sex?
No, I cannot. But that doesn't mean that someone else can't either, which was my point.

Last edited:

Anyone who works for NARTH is not credible. They are an organization that is founded on the principle that homosexuality is a mental illness. They don't have any evidence to back up that notion, they simply seek to cherry pick data that shows any disparity between the heterosexual and homosexual population and argue that is justification for that position. That isn't scientific and it isn't ethical and they have been called out time and time again for promoting treatments that have no evidential backing and which may even be harmful.

Much of their literature is even written by people with degrees in Divinity or Theology and with no background in psychology.

As far as his arguments...

* That homosexuality has been repeatedly demonstrated to be, and is in fact, an innate, genetically-determined condition.

Never claimed it was repeatedly demonstrated.

* That homosexuality is an immutable state of an individual.

Never claimed it was an immutable condition in every individual.

* That the only disadvantages of homosexuality are those caused by social disapproval and discrimination.

The problems of HIV and other such problems are related to gay culture not to homosexuality. Gay culture needs to be changed. It is a culture based on self gratification. That is why marriage would be beneficial. People who are living for someone besides themselves are more likely to make healthy choices.

* That a society composed of same-sex couples raising children in family-like units will differ from a society composed of traditional family units in no undesirable ways.

It will not. In fact, the states with the lowest divorce rates happen to be the ones with same sex marriage.

Last edited:
Also, bullying is prevalent among other species, so according to your line of thinking, bullying is normal.

It is normal. It doesn't make it right.

Bullying usually starts with consistent name-calling and usually becomes no more serious than that. Some cases escalate to violence, but not most. So, just how do you propose we stop bullying? Should we nullify the 1st Amendment? Should we ban stand-up comedians from making jokes about anyone? Should you start with yourself and not make fun of people's comments?

People are free to say and believe what they want. However, we wouldn't allow a child to walk through the halls saying things like, "That is so black" or "You are such a Ni**er!" but those kinds of comments are fine when they are, "That is so gay" and "You are such a Faggot." Bullying will never be completely solved because it is part of human nature, but it can be monitored and reduced.

No, I cannot. But that doesn't mean that someone else can't either, which was my point.

Your point is that you believe you know how other people think and what they are and are not capable of choosing. Nobody possesses that abiilty.

The problems of HIV and other such problems are related to gay culture not to homosexuality. Gay culture needs to be changed. It is a culture based on self gratification. That is why marriage would be beneficial. People who are living for someone besides themselves are more likely to make healthy choices.
Gays are allowed to engage in any relationships for as long as they want and with whomever they want without being married. They can live for something besides themselves married or not. They can also live only for themselves married or not. Anyone can make a commitment to anyone else without being married. No one is stopping them from forming monogamous relationships. The only difference with allowing them to marry is bascially making their union a legal contract with a few benefits (and some punishments if the marriage tax goes back into effect). It has no effect on their relationship or the duration of it. So, exactly how will marriage improve their "culture"?

Gays are allowed to engage in any relationships for as long as they want and with whomever they want without being married.

Exactly. And unmarried heterosexuals demonstrate marked increases in STDs, substance abuse, etc. and lowered life expectancy. So why would you expect unmarried homosexuals to be any different?

You are also ignoring the fact that gays are discouraged from having relationships because it outs them. If I have a relationship with someone, then it is pretty evident to everyone that I am gay, and then I have to worry about things like housing and job discrimination. Do heterosexual people have to worry about that?

It has no effect on their relationship or the duration of it. So, exactly how will marriage improve their "culture"?

False, It has a measured positive effect on health.

http://longevity.about.com/od/wholiveslongest/a/marriage_le.htm

Married people are also more likely to stick together than unmarried people.

And as I said before, marriage leads to people to make healthier choices because then people are living for someone other than just themselves.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom