• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What is the future for the Democratic Party?

galenrox said:
I dunno, because no one'll be happy with him/her, regardless of who s/he is. This is because people who'll probably vote democrat are split between the left liberals and the disenfranchised republicans. And there are a bunch of either. So thus, if a liberal gets picked, the libertarians and moderates won't be happy, if a moderate gets picked the liberals will be pissed and the libertarians will probably think it's alright, barring it being a neoliberal like Lieberman, and if a libertarian gets picked the liberals will all **** themselves and chain themselves to trees as they cry about their feelings and how logic isn't fair.

No need to worry about a libertarian becoming a leader since they are a party that will never make it to national stature.

Che said:
No need to worry about a libertarian becoming a leader since they are a party that will never make it to national stature.

He clearly said libertarian with a small 'l', meaning a person with libertarian beliefs...not a reference to the LP.

Radical Ron said:
What is the future going to be for the DNC or Democratic party?

Well, that's easy.

Retirement.

lol, naw I'm just kidding. I think what the Democratic Party needs to focus on is better leadership and a better presentation of their core principles. Kerry, I think, really lacked the charisma and leadership qualities that Kennedy had, for example. Plus he just gave people the impression that he was a flip flopper. I think also, the DNC needs to focus more on grassroots level, meaning that they should focus on strengthening support among college students and middle America. The College Republicans are currently much better organized overall than the College Democrats, so I think that they need to work on getting younger people more interested in the cause. It didn't use to be that way though. Back in the 60's, the College Republicans were just a handful. Nowadays, they're a very motivated bunch. And you know, it's the young people that are more likely to be the, "foot soldiers" of the party and do things like lit drops and other door to door stuff.

Radical Ron said:
What is the future going to be for the DNC or Democratic party?
Recently it has seemed that the Republican domination of the three branches has been in overwhelming support of a solid conservative agenda. I don't agree with all of it (especially those involving civil liberities) but at least the conservatives of America can come together on somewhat of a party agenda.
What is the solid agenda for the Democrats?
The only thing resembling an agenda is a new form of censorship and control over artistic creation. Joe Lieberman's crusade against Hollywood for one, and Hillary Clintons attacks on video games are some of the more noticable statements from the Party (and of course the early pullout from Iraq proposal).
One solid issue that they should stand on is healthcare, under Bush the common man has entered an even worse state than 6 years ago.
If the Democrats can take hold in the senate and house than they will have the oppurtunity to build an agenda (similar to the republicans in the 90's).
What do you think will be the "honest" future of the Democrats in the years to come?

The future of the democratic party is to simply get less radical and more centrist. Americans are tired of the far out theories of college professors with no real world experience. We don't want more Kennedy's. We don't want more Clintons.

We want leaders that are not afraid to love their nation.

The left wing will die. It will be replaced by centrists. That is the future of the democratic party.

galenrox said:
I dunno, because no one'll be happy with him/her, regardless of who s/he is. This is because people who'll probably vote democrat are split between the left liberals and the disenfranchised republicans. And there are a bunch of either. So thus, if a liberal gets picked, the libertarians and moderates won't be happy, if a moderate gets picked the liberals will be pissed and the libertarians will probably think it's alright, barring it being a neoliberal like Lieberman, and if a libertarian gets picked the liberals will all **** themselves and chain themselves to trees as they cry about their feelings and how logic isn't fair.

So to sum it up the democratic party sucks at politics. Right?

George_Washington said:
Well, that's easy.

Retirement.

lol, naw I'm just kidding. I think what the Democratic Party needs to focus on is better leadership and a better presentation of their core principles. Kerry, I think, really lacked the charisma and leadership qualities that Kennedy had, for example. Plus he just gave people the impression that he was a flip flopper. I think also, the DNC needs to focus more on grassroots level, meaning that they should focus on strengthening support among college students and middle America. The College Republicans are currently much better organized overall than the College Democrats, so I think that they need to work on getting younger people more interested in the cause. It didn't use to be that way though. Back in the 60's, the College Republicans were just a handful. Nowadays, they're a very motivated bunch. And you know, it's the young people that are more likely to be the, "foot soldiers" of the party and do things like lit drops and other door to door stuff.

I agree. One of the reasons the DNC lost the 2004 election was because many people were able to fall asleep while listening to Kerry. Bush at least you can amuse yourself with his texan accent.

Kandahar said:
He clearly said libertarian with a small 'l', meaning a person with libertarian beliefs...not a reference to the LP.

no "l" representing the fact that it's a little party.

FreeThinker said:
So to sum it up the democratic party sucks at politics. Right?

FreeThinker, please say something of substance. Don't just talk **** because that is not what this forum is for.:roll:

galenrox said:
nah dude, you missed it. Libertarian is a member of a political party, while libertarian is a school of thought (just as there are liberals who aren't democrats and conservatives who aren't republicans, there are libertarians who aren't members of the libertarian party).
There are a lot of libertarians within the democrats' base namely because we're the one group of republicans who've been most actively ignored and faught against by the Bush administration, and thus have been driven to the democrats.
Like, I personally am a Libertarian. I'm a member of the party. Now my dad is a libertarian, he voted for Kerry, Bush, Clinton, Bush, etc, all republicans and democrats, yet he still adheres to the libertarian ethos.

ok, but the Libertarian PARTY is still small and doesn't have much of a chance of growing since in American politics you're either on the right or the left and the Libertarian PARTY is mixed.

I dont think the Dems will regain power until they put forth a complete all encompassing Plan on how they are going to do better by the country
right now all i here is criticism and contempt and bitterness. Not to mention the rantings

Here's the sad truth. The Democrats do put forth plans addressing our nation's current issues. However the Republicans have countless radio talk show hosts and a massive News machine pushing nothing but their agenda for hours on end every day. For example, when I get to work I listen to Neal Boortz plug for Republicans from 9:00AM until 12:00 noon. Then I listen to Rush Limbaugh plug for Republicans until 3:00PM. Then I listen to Sean Hannity plug for Republicans until 6:00PM. That's nine hours of Republican political advertising that hasn't once disclosed the Democratic agenda accept in bias or misrepresentation for entertainment purposes. On FoxNews.com I tried to watch a clip about the Democratic Response, yet it cut away and displayed far more of Bush's speech than Gov. Kaine's response.

You see it isn't that the Democrats do not have an agenda...it's that we are not being allowed to hear it accept in snippits on NPR or PBS.

ChristopherHall said:
Here's the sad truth. The Democrats do put forth plans addressing our nation's current issues. However the Republicans have countless radio talk show hosts and a massive News machine pushing nothing but their agenda for hours on end every day. For example, when I get to work I listen to Neal Boortz plug for Republicans from 9:00AM until 12:00 noon. Then I listen to Rush Limbaugh plug for Republicans until 3:00PM. Then I listen to Sean Hannity plug for Republicans until 6:00PM. That's nine hours of Republican political advertising that hasn't once disclosed the Democratic agenda accept in bias or misrepresentation for entertainment purposes. On FoxNews.com I tried to watch a clip about the Democratic Response, yet it cut away and displayed far more of Bush's speech than Gov. Kaine's response.

You see it isn't that the Democrats do not have an agenda...it's that it is that we are not being allowed to hear it.

:2rofll:
i am so sure you beleive all that too

DeeJayH said:
:2rofll:

Here's the line up on a local station (1290 WHIO) that reflects the trend:

9AM-12PM Neal Boortz
12PM-3PM Rush Limbaugh
3PM-6PM Sean Hannnity

Now you can deny the reality but I listen to it every day. The only radio station that has one talk show host with a liberal bent is (1260 WDAO) a local black station. All others are largely conservative or libertarian. Conservative talk radio is far larger than liberal talk radio. Everyone knows that.

ChristopherHall said:

9AM-12PM Neal Boortz
12PM-3PM Rush Limbaugh
3PM-6PM Sean Hannnity

Now you can deny the reality but I listen to it every day. The only radio station that has one talk show host with a liberal bent is (1260 WDAO) a local black station. All others are largely conservative or libertarian. Conservative talk radio is far larger than liberal talk radio. Everyone knows that.

radio stations hardly compare to the Liberal elite media that has had a stranglehold on the news i.e. Newspapers and Nightly news casts and the Pre Fox News cable news channels
looking at the big picture, the overwhelming sources of news and information are Liberal

How is it possible that the *coughs* highly successful *coughs* Air America is not available where you live?

DeeJayH said:
radio stations hardly compare to the Liberal elite media that has had a stranglehold on the news i.e. Newspapers and Nightly news casts and the Pre Fox News cable news channels
looking at the big picture, the overwhelming sources of news and information are Liberal

Liberal Elite media. Hmmmm....I know some major media outlets do lean Democratic, however I hesitate to call them "Democratic". Sometimes the commentary on CNN is just as hard on Democrats as FOX News. If these "liberal elite media" sources are inundating America with the Democrat's agenda I've missed it. Maybe you could help me on this one. Let's take just one major news media, let's take CNN. They lean left of center. Can you give me solid examples of CNN broadcasting the Democratic agenda loud and clear? I know some local News Papers that are very "liberal" but they are not putting forth the Democratic agenda.

How is it possible that the *coughs* highly successful *coughs* Air America is not available where you live?

Because Air America sucks and doesn't even reflect the values and priorities of rank and file Democrats. Again Air America is "liberal" but for the most part not even Air America broadcasts the Democratic agenda.

Well...you've had enough time to respond. I'm still waiting for you to deliver bro.

ChristopherHall said:
Well...you've had enough time to respond. I'm still waiting for you to deliver bro.

to be honest, I am pretty tired of talking to people who refuse to see the reality of the world. they being loons on the left

i find it so funny how so many numbnuts from the left can NOT see the left wing media bias
yet every rep/con i have ever met can clearly see that FOXnews leans right, and never denies it
we just acknowledge it as a long overdue channel to offset the OVERWHELMINGLY leaning left MSM
why is it you guys have no clue?
just because the other news outlets tell you news the way you want to hear it, does not mean you can't discern its bias

DeeJayH said:
to be honest, I am pretty tired of talking to people who refuse to see the reality of the world. they being loons on the left

i find it so funny how so many numbnuts from the left can NOT see the left wing media bias
yet every rep/con i have ever met can clearly see that FOXnews leans right, and never denies it
we just acknowledge it as a long overdue channel to offset the OVERWHELMINGLY leaning left MSM
just because the other news outlets tell you news the way you want to hear it, does not mean you can't discern its bias

Pay close attention. I know it's hard to do after being conditioned with sound bites. I never said there wasn't any "media bias".

I said, and I quote myself:

You see it isn't that the Democrats do not have an agenda...it's that we are not being allowed to hear it accept in snippits on NPR or PBS.

and...

If these "liberal elite media" sources are inundating America with the Democrat's agenda I've missed it. Maybe you could help me on this one. Let's take just one major news media, let's take CNN. They lean left of center. Can you give me solid examples of CNN broadcasting the Democratic agenda loud and clear? I know some local News Papers that are very "liberal" but they are not putting forth the Democratic agenda.

I agree with you that there is often a liberal "bias" in the media. However I'm asking you to show me where this "liberal press" is presenting the "Democratic Agenda".

Show me where the media broadcasts the "Democrats Political Agenda" or a solid explaination of proposed "Democratic Policies". Be specific and clear my friend.

You're the "conservative", I'm inviting you to bring it on...I'm asking you to deliver.

Yes...there is often a "liberal bias" in the media...however the media has yet to clearly explain the "Democratic Agenda".

I believe I asked for you to show it from CNN. That should make it simple. I'll even make it more simple for you (simple may be better in your case):

Give me the six part Democratic Agenda on Healthcare Reform off of CNN...if you can. I may accept another major news media source if you're really struggling.

I'm waiting bro.

Last edited:
^^^Excellent point, man. Even if there is a liberal bias in the media, which I think there is, we ain't seein' the Democrats' platform or, really, anything about their stances on CNN, etc. However, I do notice that whenever The O'Reilly Factor or Hannity & Colmes is on, the Democrats get talked about an awful lot. Not in the most positive light, either.

There is no doubt about the liberal bias in most media. However the trained student will realize that NO ONE is giving us a constructive conversation about the Democratic Party's agenda for anything. The Democrats even have a comprehensive "family friendly" tax reform initiative that is built upon 9 tax reform proposals:

-Refundable College Tax Credits (CTC)
-Simplification of Home Mortgage Deductions (HMD)
-Expanded Family Tax Credits (FTC)
-Personalized Universal Pensions (UP)
-Increasing funding for College grants and federal college loans that are tax deductable
-Simplification of tax code (family tax credit alone would cut 200 pages)
-Reduce confusion by simplifying IRA and UP administration
-Simplify process to allow more individuals to itemize
-Deficit Neutrality (Incentives would be fully paid for by consolidating existing tax breaks for education, children, home ownership, and retirement as well as closing the nearly 300 corporate tax loopholes and targeted tax breaks for special interests)

No one is covering this or opening national conversation on it. Not even the liberal media.

I'll tell you why. If you go to any website belonging to the media, any media...even the "liberal media", look at who controls them.

ChristopherHall said:
There is no doubt about the liberal bias in most media. However the trained student will realize that NO ONE is giving us a constructive conversation about the Democratic Party's agenda for anything. The Democrats even have a comprehensive "family friendly" tax reform initiative that is built upon 9 tax reform proposals:

-Refundable College Tax Credits (CTC)
-Simplification of Home Mortgage Deductions (HMD)
-Expanded Family Tax Credits (FTC)
-Personalized Universal Pensions (UP)
-Increasing funding for College grants and federal college loans that are tax deductable
-Simplification of tax code (family tax credit alone would cut 200 pages)
-Reduce confusion by simplifying IRA and UP administration
-Simplify process to allow more individuals to itemize
-Deficit Neutrality (Incentives would be fully paid for by consolidating existing tax breaks for education, children, home ownership, and retirement as well as closing the nearly 300 corporate tax loopholes and targeted tax breaks for special interests)

No one is covering this or opening national conversation on it. Not even the liberal media.

I'll tell you why. If you go to any website belonging to the media, any media...even the "liberal media", look at who controls them.

I would answer that, except nowhere did i say that the MSM pushes the democratic party's platform. I claimed they are liberally biased. and i am glad to meet another of the select few from the left who can admit it exists.

Perhaps No media is reporting the Democratic agenda because the Dems havent told anybody.
What best exemplifies this was Kerry's campaign
Bush is Bad
I have a better way
go to my website
most people need to be spoonfed, they do not go out looking

atleast from my perspective, very rarely do you hear a plan or a suggestion from the Elected officials. Just derisions and attacks.
so long as that remains true, or at least the perception does, the dems will not turn the tables
because while many people may not like what Bush and the Reps are doing, the people do know what the reps are doing, and what they are trying to do. Whereas nobody knows what the dems are pushing for, other than to make bush look bad

:twocents:
just calling em as i see em

I would answer that, except nowhere did i say that the MSM pushes the democratic party's platform. I claimed they are liberally biased.

I think you have forgotten what you actually said. Here's a refresher; I said,

Originally Posted by ChristopherHall

You see it isn't that the Democrats do not have an agenda...it's that it is that we are not being allowed to hear it.

YOU said,

Originally Posted by DeeJayH

I said,

9AM-12PM Neal Boortz
12PM-3PM Rush Limbaugh
3PM-6PM Sean Hannnity

You said,

Originally Posted by DeeJayH

ow is it possible that the *coughs* highly successful *coughs* Air America is not available where you live?

I said,

Liberal Elite media. Hmmmm....I know some major media outlets do lean Democratic, however I hesitate to call them "Democratic". Sometimes the commentary on CNN is just as hard on Democrats as FOX News. If these "liberal elite media" sources are inundating America with the Democrat's agenda I've missed it. Maybe you could help me on this one. Let's take just one major news media, let's take CNN. They lean left of center. Can you give me solid examples of CNN broadcasting the Democratic agenda loud and clear? I know some local News Papers that are very "liberal" but they are not putting forth the Democratic agenda.

You said,

Now...as you can see in the beginning I was pointing out that the Democratic Agenda has no press. All you do is rant about the liberal press. We agree, the press is often very liberal, however my original statement rings true. The Democratic Agenda is not being told in either the main stream or alternative press.

I think it would also be important for you to realize that not all Democrats are leftists. I lean Democratic and largely agree with the DLC as opposed to the leftist liberals that are trying to destroy the Democratic Party.

For your reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Leadership_Council

Last edited:
ChristopherHall said:
I think you have forgotten what you actually said. Here's a refresher; I said,

YOU said,

I said,

You said,

I said,

You said,

Now...as you can see in the beginning I was pointing out that the Democratic Agenda has no press. All you do is rant about the liberal press. We agree, the press is often very liberal, however my original statement rings true. The Democratic Agenda is not being told in either the main stream or alternative press.

I think it would also be important for you to realize that not all Democrats are leftists. I lean Democratic and largely agree with the DLC as opposed to the leftist liberals that are trying to destroy the Democratic Party.

For your reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Democratic_Leadership_Council

fair enough, we were focusing on different things in the posts
however i do believe that the Liberal MSM does report things with a slant that is beneficial to the left. While they may not be championing their agenda outright, they certainly are furthering their cause, even if it is not the left that you subscribe to

DeeJayH said:
fair enough, we were focusing on different things in the posts
however i do believe that the Liberal MSM does report things with a slant that is beneficial to the left. While they may not be championing their agenda outright, they certainly are furthering their cause, even if it is not the left that you subscribe to

Beneficial to the social causes of leftwing groups yes...beneficial to Democrats, not necessarily.

galenrox said:
I think it'd be more fair to say they suck at just about everything, they're almost as bad as the republicans. I don't know how, but we've managed to get 2 political parties which on each issue hold polar opposite views, and they both somehow manage to be wrong about everything.

Haha the arrogance is AMAZING!

Any army of people with PHDs in everything from world history to politics to every science you could imagine all have it wrong.

But you, a 21 year old college student arguing with people on an internet forum, have got it all right. Ok. Haha.

Every single post you have ever made on this forum has been about you know something that no one else does. You somehow having the answers and everyone else being wrong and stupid.

Calling another person stupid does not make you smart by default.

Back
Top Bottom