• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What if there were technological improvements of non-lethal means of self-defense?

Antiwar

Green Party progressive
Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
What if there were technological improvements of non-lethal means of self-defense?

Always open to seeing new technologies. However, non-lethal doesn't necessarily equate with stopping the threat.

Always open to seeing new technologies. However, non-lethal doesn't necessarily equate with stopping the threat.

Dude the thread is about what if new technology (that you're so open to) was able to ?

Then we'd have better non-lethal means of self-defense. I would expect the police the military to be the first to prove their absolute effectiveness in lieu of using deadly force, and to convert over entirely to their use. Until then, the rest of us should have the BEST means of self-defense.

Technical improvements would go a long way, and whomever can manufacture an effective and affordable round that can be used in existing firearms will be a millionaire. I am not sure inventing new guns that take none lethal rounds would be an effective route.
Affordability is also a major factor. I have a few leas than lethal option rounds in my safe. However they are really pricey like 5 min lethal rounds for the price of 50 range rounds.

Technical improvements would go a long way, and whomever can manufacture an effective and affordable round that can be used in existing firearms will be a millionaire. I am not sure inventing new guns that take none lethal rounds would be an effective route.
Affordability is also a major factor. I have a few leas than lethal option rounds in my safe. However they are really pricey like 5 min lethal rounds for the price of 50 range rounds.

Less than lethal rounds exist. If you make them more powerful, you give them a greater potential to be fatal.

Less than lethal rounds exist. If you make them more powerful, you give them a greater potential to be fatal.
That's why there needs to be a technical advancement if they are going to be a viable alternative to lethal rounds

Preferable if effective. Sonic and microwave come to mind.

They already are a viable alternative. Certainly inside the home.
They are not that viable. One because of there effectiveness, Two because they are not readily available, Three they are expensive. Until technology comes along and makes them more competitive with traditional rounds they will not be widely used.

It would be great.
but since I like using my firearms for hunting.. predator control.. and competition...
Not sure that non lethal rounds would mean anything for my firearm ownership.

Dude the thread is about what if new technology (that you're so open to) was able to ?
I can be for new technology, even excited about it, and still believe it won’t effectively end a threat thereby preferring a gun. Doesn’t mean I’m not interested in what people can come up with.

I can be for new technology, even excited about it, and still believe it won’t effectively end a threat thereby preferring a gun. Doesn’t mean I’m not interested in what people can come up with.

How can you know that ?

The beauty of less than lethal defense is that you can walk it back....

How can you know that ?

The beauty of less than lethal defense is that you can walk it back....
The ugly of less than lethal is that the bad guy can still walk all over you. And if a bad guy is seeking to attack me or my family, by virtue of that act, they are tacitly agreeing that lethal force may be applied. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against LTL, but by design, it will never be as effective as a lethal tool at ending a threat.

The ugly of less than lethal is that the bad guy can still walk all over you. And if a bad guy is seeking to attack me or my family, by virtue of that act, they are tacitly agreeing that lethal force may be applied. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against LTL, but by design, it will never be as effective as a lethal tool at ending a threat.

Well I suppose he can if he's shot in a non-vital area...

Have you seen some of the wicked projectiles you can shoot out of a 12 gauge shotgun now ?

They both sound like they'd cause permanent damage.
Both could at highest settings but generally are deterrent enough to avoid using it. Nevertheless, far less damaging than a bullet.

Both could at highest settings but generally are deterrent enough to avoid using it. Nevertheless, far less damaging than a bullet.

That's very cool and looks to be very effective at dispersing a large number of people quickly.

That's very cool and looks to be very effective at dispersing a large number of people quickly.
The key will be miniaturization to produce personal devices, but as we see with everything else it's just a matter of time and research.

The key will be miniaturization to produce personal devices, but as we see with everything else it's just a matter of time and research.
Unlikely that gets miniaturized anytime soon and figure it would be very pricey. Can you imagine the road rage? You cut me off, I'll blast some heat into your nerve receptors. 🥵

Unlikely that gets miniaturized anytime soon and figure it would be very pricey. Can you imagine the road rage? You cut me off, I'll blast some heat into your nerve receptors. 🥵
I thought this was a thread focusing of non lethal police interventions, though eventually the technology would bleed into public use.
Sonic Nausea - J&L Self Defense Products

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom