• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

What if there is no God?

americanwoman said:
Would you be mad or would it matter to you?

I suppose it wouldn't matter the least bit if you're dead. But I think we would all be in a shitload of trouble if the Bible God were indeed real.

For those who don't believe in God why not?

I'm guessing here that you're reffering to the Judeo-Christian God. Just kidding, I know you are.:2razz: Isn't this question kinda an oxymoron, shouldn't the question be re-phrased like so For those that believe in God, why? Atheists don't need proof for disbelieve. As per the possibility of a God existing, it's possible, but there's no reason to believe, but the God of the Bible is inconcievable, as throughout scripture it portrays Jehovah as having various emotions, and having the mentality of a war-like despot. The way I see it, we are all atheists, I just subscribe to 1 less God than Christians, that's all.

First off, god is just a word. For all I know our god means nothing beyond our own universe. We could be a biproduct of a supreme beings actions, which means there is a possibility our god doesn't even know we exist. Who really knows? Our universe could have been created by aliens, but what created those aliens? And I have another question: What is beyond our universe? If you think about it this universe is too small to be the only realm of existence. My head hurts :doh

For all I know our god means nothing beyond our own universe.
Well, Gods are supposedly supernatural creatures so "proving" or even "knowing" if it/they exist would/should be well beyond our means. Especially when most of religous mumbo jumbo is thousands of years old, when science was backwards, thereffore it was harder to know why anything happened, when humans could not explain it within natural boundries they concluded that the supernatural must be controlling it.
Our universe could have been created by aliens, but what created those aliens
Doubtful, for "aliens" would have to have been in existence to create it, therefore what created them? I find it not who but what.
If you think about it this universe is too small to be the only realm of existence.
Who knows? But I doubt religous theories from thousands of years ago could better explain.

I wouldn't be bothered-I am an atheist and don't expect a god to exist, anyway.

Che,

I'm atheist. It puts me in a minority. Did you know that 52% of America would not vote for an atheist president no matter what his platform is?

Yep! That's crazy. But I understand the jugement. I would if he/she shared my views.

americanwoman said:
Would you be mad or would it matter to you?
If God did not exist then nothing would exist. So no, I wouldn't be mad, I wouldn't "be" at all.

Ivan The Terrible said:
Che,

Yep! That's crazy. But I understand the jugement. I would if he/she shared my views.

The judgement? The judgement is that we're looney. We're so religious that you have to believe in 'god' to get elected to office. But that's not all. The even odder part is that about 36% of the nation would not vote for a president who is muslim.

galenrox said:
36% of this nation would not vote for a democrat, 36% would not vote for a republican, is it really so suprising that 36% wouldn't vote for a muslim.

religion is different though. If your a democrat, Your going to have center-right politics. If your a republican, your going to have right politics. If your a muslim you could be either.

Hell, I think you are probably drawn to vote for members of your religion (or lack thereof). You're only pissed off about this because you want an atheist president (alright, not only, but it's a factor I'm assuming). So that makes you just as guilty.

Those who live in glass houses...

I don't want a president at all. I'd much prefer some sort of Autnome which could include councils and assemblies but that's not the issue. I guess I'd PREFER a atheist president but the point I was trying to make is that it is shocking how much of a religious nation we are

EDIT: messed up quote

I let go of religion a long time ago but I still like to think there's something. Mostly it's 'cause I don't want to meet my mortal end....I want there to be more. I wouldn't be upset to find that there is not one almighty God in charge of everything but I would be upset to find out that when I die I'm really dead. Luckily if that's the case I'll never know. I have heard some weird ghost stories that keep me believing in Santa so to speak and I'm also quite fond of the alien-creator and multiple reality ideas.

I think people who assume they know all there is to know and thus there is no god/creator/afterlife may quite possibly be as naive as those who worship that maniac from the old testament. :rofl

galenrox said:
As a republican you can be anything from an anarchist to a liberal to an authoritarian, democrats have everyone from Michael Moore to David Duke.

Actually David Duke started out as a Democrat, but after enjoying no success at all as a Democrat, he became a Republican as he probably figured he would have some appeal with the "Deliverance-Wing" of the Republican Party. As we know, he was fairly successfull for a while as Republican too.

However, in all fairness Fred Phelps is a registered Democrat. :lol:

galenrox said:
As a republican you can be anything from an anarchist to a liberal to an authoritarian,

huh? Republican anarchists and liberals?

democrats have everyone from Michael Moore to David Duke. Yes muslims have people of many different political affiliations, but there are certain common values among people of any religion, thus why there's not just one big religion, and people vote with who they agree with, on things including values.

Sure but the parties affiliatian is really centerist. I'm An exteme leftist but I always side with Dems over Repubs.

I think that's almost stereo typing. Sure people are simialer but no one is the same and it's preposterous to judge people before you here waht they have to say.

but what's the difference between you prefering an atheist president and someone else prefering a president of their religion?

There is no difference. I was just pointing out the fact because I thought it was interesting and sort of on topic.

galenrox said:
As a republican you can be anything from an anarchist to a liberal to an authoritarian,

huh? Republican anarchists and liberals?

democrats have everyone from Michael Moore to David Duke. Yes muslims have people of many different political affiliations, but there are certain common values among people of any religion, thus why there's not just one big religion, and people vote with who they agree with, on things including values.

Sure but the parties affiliatian is really centerist. I'm An exteme leftist but I always side with Dems over Repubs.

I think that's almost stereo typing. Sure people are simialer but no one is the same and it's preposterous to judge people before you here waht they have to say.

but what's the difference between you prefering an atheist president and someone else prefering a president of their religion?

There is no difference. I was just pointing out the fact because I thought it was interesting and sort of on topic.

americanwoman said:

I grew up in a fundie environment.........so of course my earliest memories are of believers all around me. From the very beginning it felt like a reading of the emperors new clothes, but I was the child who could see the nakedness. I'd watch adults around me and wonder why they played this game..........why did they pretend as they did kwim??

I firmly believe I was born agnostic. I don't believe or disbelieve in god, gods, goddesses or the dog next door...........it's all the same to me. I see such things as mankind's way of explaining that which cannot or has not been explained yet and as a humanI *get* why having things all neat and tidy in a box is comforting........duh!

For me, I just don't need religion (of any type, whether it's chasing god's tail or chasing fairies or casting spells etc etc) in order to feel things are secure, tidied up, explained, clear-cut. My own version of keeping myself sane through that which can't be explained and/or hasn't been explained yet is to live in the here and now............to keep busy doing what is in my hands to do and to keep lots of people I love around me so I can be busy, busy with the real life things of TODAY, not the mystical maybes of yesteryears or the far out potentials of years to come.

So I guess I'm saying everyone has a way of ordering the disorder. Science isn't explaining fast enough so we fill in the blanks somehow, or like me, we ignore what isn't clear and focus on those very clear persons and things in front of us. It's all the same human need at play though.............at least imho.

americanwoman said:

Why should I? What proves that there is a god? Nothing. In fact there is more evidence against it. For me science explains most things. Theory of evolution, big bang and etc.. all make more sense and have more credibility. But that's not my beef. My beef is religion. Have you ever stopped to think how ridiculous it is? God hates gays? Gods against abortion? The way conservatives talk you'd think Jesus was a gun-totting, homophobic, capitalist. Religion is truly a political movement. Jesus spread the ideas of unity, peace, love, and sharing while christianity and it's Christian-Right base spread ideas of greed, war, hate, and separation. That's my problem.

Che,

But that's not my beef. My beef is religion. Have you ever stopped to think how ridiculous it is? God hates gays? Gods against abortion? The way conservatives talk you'd think Jesus was a gun-totting, homophobic, capitalist.

I couldn't belive in a god like that ether... By the by.. Not all consevratives are Christian. ;)

Che said:
Why should I? What proves that there is a god? Nothing. In fact there is more evidence against it. For me science explains most things. Theory of evolution, big bang and etc.. all make more sense and have more credibility. But that's not my beef. My beef is religion. Have you ever stopped to think how ridiculous it is? God hates gays? Gods against abortion? The way conservatives talk you'd think Jesus was a gun-totting, homophobic, capitalist. Religion is truly a political movement. Jesus spread the ideas of unity, peace, love, and sharing while christianity and it's Christian-Right base spread ideas of greed, war, hate, and separation. That's my problem.

You have no proof to back up that statment just like a believer doesn't. Not everything affiliated with god is religious. I can think this universe was created by something and maybe that something is all powerful, and maybe not. It's not black and white.

The question should be more like , " What if there was a god ? " since no evidence exist to support the idea that there is one. Or anything like a "god".

nineplus said:
I firmly believe I was born agnostic. I don't believe or disbelieve in god, gods, goddesses or the dog next door...........it's all the same to me. I see such things as mankind's way of explaining that which cannot or has not been explained yet and as a human I *get* why having things all neat and tidy in a box is comforting........duh!

For me, I just don't need religion (of any type, whether it's chasing god's tail or chasing fairies or casting spells etc etc) in order to feel things are secure, tidied up, explained, clear-cut. My own version of keeping myself sane through that which can't be explained and/or hasn't been explained yet is to live in the here and now............to keep busy doing what is in my hands to do and to keep lots of people I love around me so I can be busy, busy with the real life things of TODAY, not the mystical maybes of yesteryears or the far out potentials of years to come.

So I guess I'm saying everyone has a way of ordering the disorder. Science isn't explaining fast enough so we fill in the blanks somehow, or like me, we ignore what isn't clear and focus on those very clear persons and things in front of us. It's all the same human need at play though.............at least imho.

Nineplus,

My sentiments exactly! Wow, you almost took the words out of my mouth. I grew up in a home where religion played a very important role. Like you, I was always wondering and questioning those things which could not be explained. I too am sure I was born agnostic and I live much happier this way. I'm a good person, imho. I believe in respect for nature and humanity, my beliefs are not guided by a God nor do they assume his existence. I like tangible evidence and until the existence of a higher power is proven or disproven, I will continue living my happy life without the constant fear of "God is watching you".

Sir_Alec said:
You have no proof to back up that statment just like a believer doesn't. Not everything affiliated with god is religious. I can think this universe was created by something and maybe that something is all powerful, and maybe not. It's not black and white.

Well fine but creationism makes no sense at all while the theory of evolution does. It has scienctific evidence that backs it up. There was some case back I think in the 1920's. It was ACLU I think vs. Georgia board of ed anyhow a teacher was teaching theory of evolution instead of creationism and got fired so he sued and during the case the ACLU was talking about how like rocks are older than the genisis states and etc... anyhow it was interesting and if I can find it I'll post it because it's basically the arguement we're having now.

galenrox said:
There is no actual evidence either way. There is logical evidence that there is some sort of God, such as there is existance, if something is there it had to come from somewhere, and thus it is completely reasonable to believe there is some sort of God that put it there.
I'm still yet to hear a secular theoretical explanation of what was before the big bang.

And if the question behind the conversation was "What if there is a God", it'd be an entirely different discussion. What you said here was pretty much pointless smugness.

That's circular reasoning. Existance doesn't prove there could be a god. Why assume something exist no one a) has ever seen (except for some people 2000 yrs ago in a book more loosely put together than any work of fiction) and b) there has been no, I repeat no scientific measurement of ?

If we start assuming things exist that there is no proof for where do we stop and why ?

This puts us back in the land of fairies , unicorns , flying elephants and a multitude of other things any person wishes to imagine.

Why not assume big foot is real ? At least people have video of what they claim to be big foot. There is video after video of "ufos" but the government and a lot of the population still dont think they are real but readily will tell you god is real.

What if there is no god?

In the simplest terms, you die.

In broader terms, you die, and don't know you're dead.

In broadest terms, it depends on how you lived you life.

Did you live a good life, because some religious leader told you to behave or you'd face either eternal punishment or eternal real death, or that your soul would be recycled as a ****-roach? Then you're just a self-serving schemer playing the odds, and not worthy of salvation anyway, whether god exists or not. Right? Right.

Did you live a good life because you took the words you've been told were those of God and you tried to be good simply because Jesus was supposed to be good and you wanted to be like Him? Well, if there's no god, you've been deluded, but basically you're a good person. Nothing to feel shame for there.

Do you not believe in god and still try to live a life of self-reliance, independence and respect for others, simply because it's the rational thing to do in a society of equal individuals? Then you're a saint, like me. Congratulations.

galenrox said:
Except when it comes to Occam's Razor, the simplest solution based on the information that you have is what you go with until there is further information. Back until the Big Bang, I accept science's explanation 100%. But when we are faced with the question of where existance came from, because, at least as far as the human experience goes, if something is there it came from somewhere else. And thus it would be a perfectly reasonable to believe that there was some sort of deity that put it there. Ask a scientist man, I am yet to meet one that says this is an unreasonable thing to believe.

And that is not to say that it is a reasonable thing to treat as fact. It is a matter of faith and belief, and if you interpret the information that we have differently, whatever. What sets us apart is I extend to you this respect, and it is not reciprocated.

Do you even have a potential explanation of what happened before the Big Bang, where all the materials that took place in the Big Bang came from?

Yeah, they do. Leonard Susskind, "The Cosmic Landscape", explains how string theory doesn't provide a unique solution, rather, today's observed universe is one occupying what very well may be 10^500 possible conditions in an incredibly vast "megaverse".

The people raising the "how then did this universe come into being" question as any form of defense to creationist notions of origin are required to explain how an intelligence comprising the entirety of everything managed to become intelligent. Humans became intelligent by a species adjust to environmental pressures best solved with awareness and tools.

How did any god manage the same trick?

galenrox said:
And thus it would be a perfectly reasonable to believe that there was some sort of deity that put it there. Ask a scientist man, I am yet to meet one that says this is an unreasonable thing to believe.

After a straw sample of five "scientist people" (two were women) that I know,
all five said they thought it unreasonable to believe in any sort of supernatual
force (i.e., deity) to be responsible for anything. I was classified as a scientist
many moons ago, and I would agree with my five friends.

You obviously must move in very religious circles.

galenrox said:
There is no actual evidence either way. There is logical evidence that there is some sort of God, such as there is existance, if something is there it had to come from somewhere, and thus it is completely reasonable to believe there is some sort of God that put it there.
I'm still yet to hear a secular theoretical explanation of what was before the big bang.

And if the question behind the conversation was "What if there is a God", it'd be an entirely different discussion. What you said here was pretty much pointless smugness.

No, there is logical evidence that there is no god. IE, since there is no evidence of god, then logically there's no reason to presume there is one.

The other side of the coin? That things exist implies that there must be a mind that created them? That's not logic, that's emotion.

Back
Top Bottom