• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What happened to the server on Jan 6th!?

I am assuming your team has backups of the website in the event something goes wrong. It might be a good idea to utilize differential backups so that they can restore much quicker as opposed to using incremental backups (but the tradeoff is differential backups take longer to save as opposed to incremental backups). Plus, keep encrypted backups on a Cloud Storage as a Service provider's SAN (Storage Area Network).
We do have backups nightly to a dedicated drive. We ARE looking for a less expensive Cloud Storage ~TB solution for offsite backups.
Please PM Red and me if you know of a good one compatible with CPanel.

Events:
  1. Last week, it was confirmed that we had the green light for migration.
  2. Yesterday
    1. the server was cloned (took almost 6 hours)
    2. upgrade proceeded
    3. reboots during the upgrade failed, several were needed
    4. upgrade failed
    5. level 3 techs had to login to assist
    6. upgrade completed after 16 hrs
  3. A symlink (sorry for the technical) was missing to our database. Troubleshooting.
  4. This morning I verified the data is there and was not missing! We were concerned to say the least.
  5. Finally, I had given very specific instruction on our redis server before the upgrade, but the config file was missing.
  6. Add cloned drive to the server
    1. Verify database was a mirror
    2. Copy/paste config file to from clone, restart redis - badah bing!
Notes:
  1. I formally asked the technical team to preserve the redis.conf file
  2. We also informed them that a bios update was needed else there would be reboot issues
They completely ignored both of these requests.

/tired
'/tired': I'll bet. Quite a bit of a marathon session to sort that out.

Thanks Schweddy, you probably don't get enough of the recognition you deserve.

Events:
  2. Yesterday
    2. upgrade proceeded
    4. upgrade failed
  3. A symlink (sorry for the technical) was missing to our database. Troubleshooting.
  4. This morning I verified the data is there and was not missing! We were concerned to say the least.
  5. Finally, I had given very specific instruction on our redis server before the upgrade, but the config file was missing.
Notes:
  2. We also informed them that a bios update was needed else there would be reboot issues

/tired

I have not one clue of an idea hat any of that means.....but thanks....

Next week I have a friend coming over to show me how to delete old emails.

The changes from this weekend made zero changes to the experience. No extra buttons or whistles. This was necessary so that we can continue to have an experience here with the latest security updates.
Sounds good.
The changes last week upgraded our database to the latest software which is supposed to allow a lot more people to connect at one time.

Oh goody! More people for us to argue with and more chaos for your staff. What could possibly go wrong? ;)

The problems had to have been caused by commies...

Screen-Shot1.png

:)

There are actually two mirrored forums. The good posters are on one, and the morons relegated to the other. Neither group knows about the other parallel universe.

Not sure which one we're on 😐
Nor am I. Probably on the "moron mirror" since my IQ is 79.

Thanks, guys. Sorry for all the agita you went through to get up and running. To paraphrase Sally Field, you must really like us.:)
Or to paraphrase every Osprey pilot: "please don't crash".

When listening to software salespeople, the terms "improved", "supposed to", "intended", "tested", and "better" should always be regarded as meaningless noises designed to increase sales prospects and not much else (along the lines of "low mileage" and "well maintained" and "immaculate" when uttered by used car salespeople).

You don't listen to sales people. You read the release notes, figure out if any of the changes will actually make your life better and then act accordingly. Unless of course the version you're running is end of life in which case your hands are tied.

Red worked double shifts at his job all weekend. :(

Was just me, myself and I. However, he did checkin and give guidance not to punch the ****ing wall a few times!
You did your best, it all worked out in the end, relax. We love this site.
I'll blame you for having the time to 'groom' the dog until the end of times though.

Events:
  2. Yesterday
    2. upgrade proceeded
    4. upgrade failed
Notes:

/tired
Sounds like someone needs a talking to.

To be clear, I mean the tech team.

On behalf of everyone who has ever been told that the system will be up and running within the hour and then has had to wait an ungodly amount of time, I thank you for your efforts.

Events:
  2. Yesterday
    2. upgrade proceeded
    4. upgrade failed
Notes:

/tired
Your hard work is appreciated! Kudos. 👏

Thanks to you and Red for all the work and frustrations while I and the other mods enjoyed a "snow day" and never had to get out of our jammies! 🏆
If you were a loyal Wal-Mart shopper you would wear your jammies to your local store to shop in. ;)

Events:
  2. Yesterday
    2. upgrade proceeded
    4. upgrade failed
Notes:

/tired

Thanks for your expertise and dogged determination (y)

The number of posters on this thread speaks to the attachment people have for Debate Politics.

Social media is addicting and when sites go down some go into serious withdrawal.

I was concerned when I couldn't connect but quickly reverted to other things I love to do

But anyways, thanks for the hard work getting the site back up and running.

Then after you go through something like this you try to get some sleep and immediately check your phone/messages when you wake up and pray everything is okay.

The life of IT people.

The wife made bank being part of a team brought in to fix the upgrade to some corporation's system. It could be argued the upgrade was more cosmetic than beneficial but the VP's were told it would make the system slicker than snake snot on a warm brass doorknob.... :rolleyes:

The vendor's team would say such things as- "well that never happened before". They also were very haphazard in documentation, and coordinating with the cleanup crew was less than complete.... :cautious:
Made for a somewhat frustrating but quite profitable job for the wife.... ✌️

Back
Top Bottom