• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What does Iran hope to accomplish by its proxy war on Israel?

ataraxia

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Palestinian terrorist groups like Hamas and Hezbollah are all, almost entirely and single-handedly, funded by Iran. Most Arab countries have backed away from the idea of completely destroying Israel and turning it into Palestine, and seem OK with a two state solution.

So why is Iran spending so much money and effort backing the Palestinians? What’s the endgame? Is it about increasing regional influence and becoming a regional power?

I don’t see how, even if they succeed in helping the Palestinians destroy Israel, that would happen. The Iranian‘s are Shiite, the rest of the Arab world is Sunni. The Iranians aren’t Arab and they don’t even speak the language. They will always be seen as a foreign power by the Arab world. The Saudis even see them as a direct enemy. Even the Palestinians would see them as foreigners. Even in a best-case scenario, where they are done retaking complete control of Palestine, they would have no further interest in any sort of Iranian influence on their new state.

So what’s the long-term plan here by the Iranians? What are they hoping to accomplish?

Preventing Israeli and Saudi rapprochement.

This. Exactly this.

Iran is Persia. Persia has always been in conflict with the non Persian portions of the ME. They are a historic empire that historically conflicted with the Ottoman Empire, the Mamluks of Egypt. Before that they conflicted with the Byzantine Empire. Before that they conflicted with the Roman Empire. before that they conflicted with the Macedonians and Greeks. Before that...get the idea?

This is literally old news. Add on the layer if Shiite vs. Sunni religion as a nice - lets all go psychotic - just adds spice.

This. Exactly this.

Iran is Persia. Persia has always been in conflict with the non Persian portions of the ME. They are a historic empire that historically conflicted with the Ottoman Empire, the Mamluks of Egypt. Before that they conflicted with the Byzantine Empire. Before that they conflicted with the Roman Empire. before that they conflicted with the Macedonians and Greeks. Before that...get the idea?

This is literally old news. Add on the layer if Shiite vs. Sunni religion as a nice - lets all go psychotic - just adds spice.

From what I have read, they became Shiite in the 16th century (after the Safavids kicked out the Mongols) in large part to cement the difference in their identity from the rest of the Muslim world. It was mostly a political decision. The Safavids wanted to preserve the Persian identity as something distinct.

But I still don't see what the long term game plan is. Do they really want to establish regional hegemony in the middle east? It seems like a very far-fetched goal. They wanted to have a separate identity from the rest of the middle east. But now that means that the rest of the middle east sees them as pretty foreign. They would never willingly submit to a Shiite, non-Arab regional power.

If you think Tehran wanted what Hamas started, I have these magic beans for sale as well.

It seems like their militant, confrontational approach to both those countries is having quite the opposite effect.

If you think Tehran wanted what Hamas started, I have these magic beans for sale as well.
So what does Tehran really want in the long term by supporting all these terrorist groups over there?

So what does Tehran really want in the long term by supporting all these terrorist groups over there?
It doesn't matter. Tehran was as surprised by 10/7 as the other centers of corrupt theocracy, in Riyadh and Tel Aviv. Hubris does that.

But, please, by all means, get back to whimbling like a Bush neocon circa 2006...

It doesn't matter.
That is the whole subject of this thread. Forget 10/7. I am just wondering what their long term game plan, if any, might be. Why is Iran spending so much money and resources meddling in Palestine, Lebanon, Syria, Yemen, etc, etc.... IS there a long term game plan? No matter how much hubris they may have, do they really think achieving regional power hegemony in the middle east is a realistic goal for them to be spending so much money and resources on?
But, please, by all means, get back to whimbling like a Bush neocon circa 2006...
I have not idea what you are talking about here. I am not proposing that the US do anything about anything. I am just wondering if there is even "anything" there.

Back
Top Bottom