• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What do you think of the War of Northern Attrition?

Lincoln surely could not have expected to keep the exact same arrangement once the state seceded. His act of stalling was an act of provocation.

Provocation came when South Carolina fired on a federal chartered steamer supplying Ft Sumter before Lincoln was in office.

Slavery was not normal at the time. It was a highly divisive issue if not the most divisive issue of all. Lincoln cared more about preserving the Union than anything else. Afterall it was his sworn duty as President to protect and defend the Constitution and the United States of America.

Slavery was normal at the time, which is not the same as saying everyone agreed with it. The fact that Lincoln cared more about the union than slavery, proves it. If slavery was such evil, there should have been no compromising.

Slavery was normal at the time, which is not the same as saying everyone agreed with it. The fact that Lincoln cared more about the union than slavery, proves it. If slavery was such evil, there should have been no compromising.

No, it wasn't .

Slavery was NOT normal at the time. The entire Western world with the exception of Brazil had already abolished it and the vast majority of Americans opposed it.

Has any new ground been broken in this thread?

All Northern truth too?

Well...

It is true the war was fought by the south to protect slavery.

It is true the South fired the first shots even before Lincoln took office.

It is true the Federal government called up volunteers and first attempted to regain Federal property and facilities when the first shots were fired after Ft Sumter.

It is true the South began the war by seizing forts, arsenals, mints, custom-houses, etc.,

Can you point out any lies in what I stated?

He saw it as a professional requirement of the job.

it's why Lincoln is considered to be such a brilliant politician.

Slavery was normal at the time, which is not the same as saying everyone agreed with it.

Even backward Russia had effectively ended slavery (serfdom) before the US.

The fact that Lincoln cared more about the union than slavery, proves it. If slavery was such evil, there should have been no compromising.

Lincoln was a pragmatist. Some of the border states were pro-slavery and losing them would have resulted in a terrible burden on the Federal Army. That is why the later Emancipation Proclamation was written as it was. All slaves in the rebelling states were deemed free. Not the border states. Not DC. Not territories.

It’s been 150 years. The Confederacy LOST. Why on Earth are they still fighting the war? Makes no sense. “Don’t start what you can’t finish”.

It’s been 150 years. The Confederacy LOST. Why on Earth are they still fighting the war? Makes no sense. “Don’t start what you can’t finish”.

Every generation has a small but vocal bunch that want to resurrect the Confederacy, the NAZIs, Communism and any number of loser groups.

We can't kill them but we can hope to educate them.

Who is fighting? We're just honoring the soldiers and our ancestors, whether Confederate or Union. I have direct ancestors who served on both sides.

He saw it as a professional requirement of the job.

it's why Lincoln is considered to be such a brilliant politician.
I like your avatar. I visited Harpers Ferry and Charlestown, West Virginia last year.

1643323314768.png
Gets my vote as Cool Old Guy of Today ! What cha think ?

1643323466596.png
1960's Old Guy !

1643323649565.png
1970's Old Guy

1643323741420.png
1980's Old Guy

1643323820910.png
1990's OLD GUY

1643323908999.png
2000's Old Guy

The same Northern government that defeated the Confederates when they launched a war of aggression against the US, yes.
I see subtle arguments fairly rocket over your head.

1643324145274.png
2010's Old Guy, Wha da a doing !

As well he should be

Regardless....if you fire on US troops I dont care what happens to you....as long as it is bad
Thanks for agreeing with my premise that Lincoln would indeed have attacked the South even if the South had not attacked Sumter.

Back
Top Bottom