• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What do you think of the War of Northern Attrition?

WRONG.

South Carolina gave ceded to the federal government full rights to Ft Sumter well before secession.

No I dont. Confederates renounced their citizenship joined a new country and then attacked their previous country

That is the very definition of a traitor to America

I already know fascists need to cling to the confederacy, they fought to preserve their preferred racial hierarchy. Preserving hierarchies is kinda the point of fascism. Why oh why does a poor southerner need to cling to it?

The Constitution is the contract that theoretically binds all states into perpetual union. If you can find a place where those signing conditions are stated in detail, I'd accept that as evidence.

Start with The Bill of Rights! :worship:
#10 as above

California did a better job of indigent medical care until
federally superseded in 1964.
Likewise education & CORE curriculum

Is the 10th Amendment to be ignored?
We could have had State Based ObamaCare
with 50 designs. Consider #10 ! :worship:

#10 Bill Of Rights
The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Such as education, y'think
Health, Welfare, Urban etc. . .

Moi
Californian

No I dont. Confederates renounced their citizenship joined a new country and then attacked their previous country

That is the very definition of a traitor to America

After which they were pardoned for the most part and returned to the fold.

Lincoln wasn't president when South Carolina seceded. And their unilateral secession meant the surrendered any claim to Fort Sumter.
The Southerners knew Lincoln's sympathies before he came in, and even the one grievance people tend to agree that his election was a big factor in secession.

Well he sure didnt attack first. That was the south
Look up the story of how Lincoln treated Maryland to make sure that that state, which shared three borders with District of Columbia, would get no chance to secede. That history ought to convince anyone that whatever his other virtues, Lincoln could be thoroughly uncompromising in his determination to preserve the Union.

We've already been over the uselessness of Texas v. White, and in any case I stated my criteria in post 965.

The Armed Forces of the United States takes orders only from it's Commander in Chief. The US President.
Then we agree that Lincoln was responsible for the Sumter troops not leaving.

There were no "separate countries" involved here. Only one. That's why it's called "The Civil War". Which is a war between citizens of the same country.
That's something the Northern victory turned into a fait accompli, but like I said earlier, I'm discussing the ethics of the Constitutional violation.

The Southerners knew Lincoln's sympathies before he came in, and even the one grievance people tend to agree that his election was a big factor in secession.

And when they seceded, they gave up any claim they had to Fort Sumter.

So when they fired on it, they were engaging in an act of aggression.

Then Lincoln broke his oath when he breached the Constitution.

And the Supreme Court law of latter times still says nothing about the interpretation of secession prior to the Civil War.

And when they seceded, they gave up any claim they had to Fort Sumter.

So when they fired on it, they were engaging in an act of aggression.
Fort Sumter was on Southern land and the North no longer had claim to it.

Fort Sumter was on Southern land and the North no longer had claim to it.

No, it stopped being solely Southern land when the state of South Carolina gave up that land to the communal ownership of the United States pursuant to the rules found in the Constitution South Carolina voluntarily entered into.

When they unilaterally seceded, without negotiation on the ownership of communally owned property, they gave up any claim they had to it.

I'm sure a Northern lawyer would have made that argument, and a Southern lawyer would have made the opposite argument, that the State had nullified the arrangement. So what? Just because you agree with the first does not invalidate the second POV.

I'm sure a Northern lawyer would have made that argument, and a Southern lawyer would have made the opposite argument, that the State had nullified the arrangement. So what? Just because you agree with the first does not invalidate the second POV.

The Southern lawyer would have had nothing to base their argument on. The Northern lawyer would have had the Constitution and the entire body of contract law.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…