• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What do you think of the War of Northern Attrition?

Godwin's law ain't law. So you don't count Hitler as an enemy of the U.S.? Which would be the only reason to bring it up, in the context it was mentioned.

The whole point of godwins law is that there is no comparison to Hitler.

" Godwin wrote, "its purpose has always been rhetorical and pedagogical: I wanted folks who glibly compared someone else to Hitler to think a bit harder about the Holocaust."

The whole point of godwins law is that there is no comparison to Hitler.

" Godwin wrote, "its purpose has always been rhetorical and pedagogical: I wanted folks who glibly compared someone else to Hitler to think a bit harder about the Holocaust."
It was in the context of erecting statues to defeated enemies of the U.S. of A. I think you knew that.

If you fire 3000 rounds at a US military base you become a hostile country that we share a border with.

We will crush you

Not a US military base if it’s no longer US soil

Now all you have to do is prove the statement true.
Prove it to who, exactly. You obviously don't see the south leaving the union as traitorous, many do. What proof would you except?

Have you a historical example of the sort of negotiations you favor, negotiations that led to one country releasing another?

I would say there have only been a few rare circumstances. For instance, Pakistan was able to break away from India, but only in the wake of India gaining independence from Britain. Usually the larger country resists with violence, as when Pakistan tried to hold on to Bangladesh.

Almost the entirety of British and French decolonization of Africa was done with extensive negotiations.

It was in the context of erecting statues to defeated enemies of the U.S. of A. I think you knew that.

Correct, and there is no comparison between the US defeating brothers and the US defeating Hitler.

Which is a perfect example of Godwins law.

Correct, and there is no comparison between the US defeating brothers and the US defeating Hitler.

Which is a perfect example of Godwins law.
Those brothers were traitors to america

Its because the confederacy was allowed to rewrite their history and rob southerners of their ability to heal from it.

I think union POWs would have strongly disagreed.

These people remind me of the german-american bund.

Prove it to who, exactly. You obviously don't see the south leaving the union as traitorous, many do. What proof would you except?

The Constitution is the contract that theoretically binds all states into perpetual union. If you can find a place where those signing conditions are stated in detail, I'd accept that as evidence.

Almost the entirety of British and French decolonization of Africa was done with extensive negotiations.
But the imperialistic countries had determined that they didn't want the hassle of maintaining their costly hold on their satellites. In contrast, Lincoln had no intention of letting the South go, no matter what negotiations might have been suggested.

A point you can not prove

Lincoln wasn't president when South Carolina seceded. And their unilateral secession meant the surrendered any claim to Fort Sumter.

you of course have reputable sources for this.

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…