• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What do you think of the War of Northern Attrition?

Godwin's law ain't law. So you don't count Hitler as an enemy of the U.S.? Which would be the only reason to bring it up, in the context it was mentioned.

The whole point of godwins law is that there is no comparison to Hitler.

" Godwin wrote, "its purpose has always been rhetorical and pedagogical: I wanted folks who glibly compared someone else to Hitler to think a bit harder about the Holocaust."

The whole point of godwins law is that there is no comparison to Hitler.

" Godwin wrote, "its purpose has always been rhetorical and pedagogical: I wanted folks who glibly compared someone else to Hitler to think a bit harder about the Holocaust."
It was in the context of erecting statues to defeated enemies of the U.S. of A. I think you knew that.

If you fire 3000 rounds at a US military base you become a hostile country that we share a border with.

We will crush you

Not a US military base if it’s no longer US soil

Now all you have to do is prove the statement true.
Prove it to who, exactly. You obviously don't see the south leaving the union as traitorous, many do. What proof would you except?

What power did that state governor have to order the evacuation of troops from the territory of another country?

South Carolina abrogated any claim it had to any of the shared territory of the United States (for instance US military bases like Fort Sumter) when they unilaterally seceded without negotiations.

Have you a historical example of the sort of negotiations you favor, negotiations that led to one country releasing another?

I would say there have only been a few rare circumstances. For instance, Pakistan was able to break away from India, but only in the wake of India gaining independence from Britain. Usually the larger country resists with violence, as when Pakistan tried to hold on to Bangladesh.

Have you a historical example of the sort of negotiations you favor, negotiations that led to one country releasing another?

I would say there have only been a few rare circumstances. For instance, Pakistan was able to break away from India, but only in the wake of India gaining independence from Britain. Usually the larger country resists with violence, as when Pakistan tried to hold on to Bangladesh.

Almost the entirety of British and French decolonization of Africa was done with extensive negotiations.

It was in the context of erecting statues to defeated enemies of the U.S. of A. I think you knew that.

Correct, and there is no comparison between the US defeating brothers and the US defeating Hitler.

Which is a perfect example of Godwins law.

Correct, and there is no comparison between the US defeating brothers and the US defeating Hitler.

Which is a perfect example of Godwins law.
Those brothers were traitors to america

the sad thing about all of this is we as a nation, for all the good we have done nationally (abolishing slavery primarily) and globally, we are still cursed with racism and our need for white supremacy......a large portion of Caucasian people in the US and around the world simply believe that people of color are inferior......millions to the degree that it is ordained from God......

here we are 150 years after the Civil War still discussing the CW.......millions still arguing that it was about 'northern aggression/attrition' and 'states rights' and imo every dam one of those millions knows in their heart that it is about racism and white supremacy.......some of them (KKK, American Nazis, Oath Keepers etc etc) will actually say it up front that they believe people of color are inferior.....but sadly those millions of white Americans who tolerate and turn a deaf ear to the actions of WS's are silently condoning and approving them......
Its because the confederacy was allowed to rewrite their history and rob southerners of their ability to heal from it.

I do believe these statues have a place in our heritage and a right to be preserved in a place of Honor. They were honorable men doing their duty as they saw it to be ! They treated each other honorably and settled a terrible dispute and the men rode home to their families.

A national Park for all the Crap should suffice.
I think union POWs would have strongly disagreed.

While we're at it, how's 'bout Hitler, Mussolini & Tajo?
Y'all want a park, start a gofundme for traitors fund. Y'all kin buy up all the Lee & Forrest & whoever statues & buy y'all a nice piece of land, charge admission. Get all the "Civil War";) Buffs.
These people remind me of the german-american bund.

Prove it to who, exactly. You obviously don't see the south leaving the union as traitorous, many do. What proof would you except?

The Constitution is the contract that theoretically binds all states into perpetual union. If you can find a place where those signing conditions are stated in detail, I'd accept that as evidence.

Almost the entirety of British and French decolonization of Africa was done with extensive negotiations.
But the imperialistic countries had determined that they didn't want the hassle of maintaining their costly hold on their satellites. In contrast, Lincoln had no intention of letting the South go, no matter what negotiations might have been suggested.

But the imperialistic countries had determined that they didn't want the hassle of maintaining their costly hold on their satellites. In contrast, Lincoln had no intention of letting the South go, no matter what negotiations might have been suggested.
A point you can not prove

Lincoln wasn't president when South Carolina seceded. And their unilateral secession meant the surrendered any claim to Fort Sumter.

Sherman did is job well that's a certainty.

I appreciate his sincere honest appraisal of one of his adversaries NBF!

No other soldier in any wars fought by men born of American soil was so praised by both those who
wrote history, those who fought against him and those who fought on his side.

1) His greatest adversary William T. Sherman called him “the most
remarkable man our civil war produced on either side’ & ‘he had a
strategy which was original & incomprehensible. There was no theory
or art of war by which I could calculate with any degree of certainty
what Forrest was up to.’

2) Shelby Foote who wrote the monumental 3-volume Civil War A Narrative:
Held that there were two authentic geniuses to emerge from the Civil War, Abraham Lincoln & Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest.

3) After his surrender, when asked by a Union Officer who he thought his greatest general was, General Robert E. Lee
replied, Sir, a gentleman I have never had the pleasure to meet, General Nathan Bedford Forrest.

you of course have reputable sources for this.

Back
Top Bottom