• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What do you think of the War of Northern Attrition?

The USA finally came to the conclusion that slavery was wrong and all it took was 785,500 people killed.

Not quite. Slavery was still "right" in the north until officialy outlawed.

"If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that."​

Also known as the Civil War.
Here's what I think.

We've been letting the South get away with too much of their bullshit during reconstruction and after the war.

From teaching revisionist history, to erecting monuments to slavers and traitors.

If we had done what was right, this thread wouldn't ****ing exist.

Well, I think that a wiser President than Mr. Lincoln would have let the South leave.

1. This would have saved the lives of more than 600,000 young men.

2. Probably the South would have eventually asked to return.

3. There would have eventually been a peaceful dissolution of slavery, for the anti-slavery movement was gaining traction throughout the world -- led by the British.

4. The newly freed slaves would have been gradually introduced into general society. Instead, Reconstruction was a shock to Southern Caucasian people and gave them the incentive to establish a system of separation that lasted until the 1960s.

5. Another President might have been able to work harmoniously with the South in setting a timetable for the abolition of slavery.

Its naïve to think white supremacy could have ended with slavery.

Here's what I think.

We've been letting the South get away with too much of their bullshit during reconstruction and after the war.

From teaching revisionist history, to erecting monuments to slavers and traitors.

If we had done what was right, this thread wouldn't ****ing exist.

Today, a shocking number of Americans still don't know that slavery and its extension was the primary cause of the war.

The USA was right to free the slaves. They were wrong to then occupy and force the sovereign confederate people to be citizens of the USA.

The topic is far more complex than that and how its boiled down to just slavery. It was ultimately about power, economics, and liberty (for whites).

How do yu free the slaves and allow the "sovereign Confederate people" to continue to exist?

Well then another question just to see where everyone's bias is, what are your views of General Lee, because wat you think of him says a lot about a person.

Well then another question just to see where everyone's bias is, what are your views of General Lee, because wat you think of him says a lot about a person.

Superb tactician, average strategist.

He sucks:

Not quite. Slavery was still "right" in the north until officialy outlawed.

"If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that."​

I imagine Abe wasn’t speaking for the slaves when he said that.

I consider Robert E Lee the greatest General on both sides.

Lee sucks? As a General? I consider him the most brilliant General of the Civil War, hands down.

As a human being, I don't care if he was the greatest general ever, he was a horrible human being.

This like saying Rommel is praise worthy and him serving the Third Riech is irrelevant compared to his tactical abilities.

Well, I think that a wiser President than Mr. Lincoln would have let the South leave.

1. This would have saved the lives of more than 600,000 young men.

2. Probably the South would have eventually asked to return.

3. There would have eventually been a peaceful dissolution of slavery, for the anti-slavery movement was gaining traction throughout the world -- led by the British.

4. The newly freed slaves would have been gradually introduced into general society. Instead, Reconstruction was a shock to Southern Caucasian people and gave them the incentive to establish a system of separation that lasted until the 1960s.

5. Another President might have been able to work harmoniously with the South in setting a timetable for the abolition of slavery.

Leave?

After the rebel traitors fired on an American Union military installation?

If they had been allowed to "leave" and had not attacked the Union at Fort Sumpter it would have only been a matter of time before the rebel traitor south would have taken up arms against the North in their desire to preserve and expand their "peculiar institution" and their other southern ways to the West.

Back
Top Bottom