• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What caused Ted Cruz to drop out?

Was it this confrontation that caused Ted Cruz to drop out? Ted Cruz had a bad past few days, in addition to losing the Indiana primary Ted Cruz got into an embarrassing fight with a heckler, had another 13 year old thrown heckler out of his rally saying he deserved a spanking, and watched his so called running mate Carly Fiorina fall off stage at a rally and didn't even try to help.

But could it have been this confrontation alone? Or maybe something else entirely?

It had nothing to do with this encounter. He quite because he was no longer able to block Trump's ability to gain a majority of the delegates prior to the convention. Also this situation would represent an end to his funding. No money, no campaign.

To build on this:

I don't see Trump as a Republican, or at least a mainstream GOPer as currently practiced today. He was a Dem, then an Indie, and now a Republican. Hell, he was promoting single-payer healthcare (over Hillary!) just two months ago, until he muzzled it over Republican uproar! So he changed the message to tell them what they wanted to hear!

He's just using the GOP as his vehicle to get into the WH, and once in office will only need them in the context of approving legislation in lieu of executive order. He could just as easy be an Indie or Dem, as far as his lack of allegiance.

So with that in mind, yeah he could just take Snowe and run a campaign fully exhibiting his authentic (vs primary) values, drawing Dems, Indies, and moderate Rebubs, and make this about him and not party - which is what I believe he really wants. His message resonates across party lines with certain subsets of the electorate. And Snowe would fit well here, though I don't see her and her mild upper N.E. demeanor playing the traditional veep campaign role of attack-dog. But that should be no problem, because Trump's seems more than happy to attack!

So the more that I think about this, the more I like it. But I really think he'll pick a seasoned politico holding more serious party gravitas; in his Morning Joe phone-in today he expressed the desire to legislate, and claims he needs a guy that can get it done. From his demeanor, I believe he's dead serious about bringing changes to the country. That's both scary and invigorating at the same time!
Speaking of Snowe, Collins has good credentials.

Last edited:

Was it this confrontation that caused Ted Cruz to drop out? Ted Cruz had a bad past few days, in addition to losing the Indiana primary Ted Cruz got into an embarrassing fight with a heckler, had another 13 year old thrown heckler out of his rally saying he deserved a spanking, and watched his so called running mate Carly Fiorina fall off stage at a rally and didn't even try to help.

But could it have been this confrontation alone? Or maybe something else entirely?

Nope

The money ran out

simple as that

So to whom do we attribute these massive victories in 2010 and 2014?
The midterm elections in 2010 and 2014 that won GOP majorities in both houses were due to electorate revolution. Revolution not because government wasn't Conservative enough, but because government didn't serve electorate needs any longer. Conservatives and tea partiers misread the motivations of the people.

Another pertinent question should also be why are so few Conservatives elected president? This should be so obvious... even for Conservative ideologues. The quasi-Conservative McCain in 2008 and the quasi-Conservative Romney in 2012 lost in the general because of ineptitudes in politicking during the general campaign. Being quasi-Conservative didn't affect their getting the GOP nomination, though. This is something that is lost on the elitist Conservative. The people voted for one true-blue Conservative, Reagan, because the alternative, Carter, was so insipid. George W. was a quasi-Conservative.
From the beginning of Conservatism, 1965 to present, there hasn't been many GOP nominees for president.

I was on board both the McCain train and the Romney train but both candidates left much to be desired during the general.

Remember, the electorate (except for cabinet and SCOTUS, for example) votes for political positions and presidents. If a political ideology, like Conservatism, torks off the electorate, they aren't represented in government. When political ideologies, like Conservatism, aren't effective in solving the problems of government for the electorate, they repudiate that ideology.

Conservatives are not the base of the GOP they are the loud-mouthed minority of the GOP. Anyone who wishes to disagree should examine the list of GOP hopefuls for president from the beginning of Conservationism in 1965 to present day.

Last edited:

Math caused him to drop out. It was becoming mathematically impossible for him to stop Trump. Elections cost an incredible amount of money and an enormous investment in time. They are incredibly stressful; you don't get to go home, you often have to sleep on on airplanes and tour buses, and you often put in 15+ hours of work a day. None of that is worthwhile once your chances of winning are in the low single digits. With Trump's win in Indiana, there wasn't a realistic path forward for Ted Cruz.

Here's the breakdown of what that math looked like:
Theneeds - Watch: Delegate Math: Why Cruz Dropped Out

Last edited:
Cruz has only Cruz to blame. He was the one who attacked his fellow senators, made the GOP look, act and sound like the party of No, and the nation suffered for it. He burned his bridges with the 'establishment' and when Trump moved to the outside track Cruz found little love from his fellow politicians.

But what strikes me funny is the constant cries of contested convention where the elite will 'steal' the convention from Trump are now silent. So much angst and anger for naught.

God help me but I love the freak show.... :peace

The heckler reminded Cruz that the Lord calls whom He pleases. And Ted was not pleasing Him.

I doubt he'd give-up a sitting Senatorship, nor in political terms would it be wise for his party, opening-up another GOP Senate seat to defend (though I doubt it takes much to defend a GOP Senate seat in Texas).

Cruz is so far Right he would probably have lost in 45 of the 57 states. :)

Cruz is so far Right he would probably have lost in 45 of the 57 states. :)
I was thinking more in terms of: "Losing 57 of the 50 states! :lamo

Then again, the anti-Trumpers could rally around Gov Kasich! He once won 1 in a row, and is looking to go 1-49! :mrgreen:

It's good to see how the GOP proclaimed this group "the most talented & substantial field ever"! :doh

Back
Top Bottom