• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What are your "must have" ingredients in eggnog?

Which of the following items are "must have" ingredients in eggnog you drink?

• Total voters
Moderator's Warning:
Moved to a more appropriate location. Only political topics are allowed in the Polls section.

Red:
Wow! Though I wouldn't do os, I can sorta see mixing brandy, bourbon and/or cognac, but I can't get with rum mixed with any of them. My taste buds would go apoplectic.

Well, you have to get the proportions right. ;)

Well, you have to get the proportions right. ;)

Of course. In cooking, character development, cognition, and cocktailing, success depends on finding a fitting balance among contexts.

poussecafecocktailbyluckywenzelweb.jpg

For folks who like to entertain or for folks who like their alcoholic beverages not to taste like there's alcohol in them....

Layered Eggnog Latte Cocktail

ybmvwclx

y7f3hazr

Hazelnut Orgasm Shooter
(swap the hazelnut milk with unspiked eggnog for the holidays)

y7spf679

Red:
Wow! Though I wouldn't do os, I can sorta see mixing brandy, bourbon and/or cognac, but I can't get with rum mixed with any of them. My taste buds would go apoplectic.

Off-topic but relative to mixing different alcohols, ever had a depth charge?

Last edited:
No....not that I'm aware of.

Drop a shot of whiskey (in the glass) into a pint of beer and chug it before the two mix. You drink the beer "sea", then get hit with the whiskey "depth charge" - kinda like a boilermaker in reverse. Course it flies in the face of the old adage, "beer before whiskey is mighty risky." ;)

Last edited:
For my egg nog, I like to add some coffee, cream and sugar.......Minus the egg nog!

Off-topic but relative to mixing different alcohols, ever had a depth charge?
No....not that I'm aware of.

Drop a shot of whiskey (in the glass) into a pint of beer and chug it before the two mix. You drink the beer "sea", then get hit with the whiskey "depth charge" - kinda like a boilermaker in reverse. Course it flies in the face of the old adage, "beer before whiskey is mighty risky." ;)
TY for the exposition.

Red:
Good thing I wrote "not that I'm aware of."

Decades ago, as an undergrad, that was something of a novelty-plus-"rite-of-passage" drink/behavior that nearly everyone in our club (and in most of the other ones on campus) "had to" try/exhibit at one point or another, most commonly (in my day, at least) as a sophomore during bicker. We called them "Boilermakers."

Aside:
Among us upperclassmen in the club, Boilermakers were given to aspirants and those whom we'd preliminarily identified as suitable for inviting to join would be advised to lay off the booze for an hour or so after they drank one, and those whom none of us were particularly keen to invite wouldn't receive that input. I'll leave it to you to figure out who later got an invitation and who, but with very rare exception, didn't...​

Blue:
We used to say "beer and liquor, get sick quicker."

TY for the exposition.

Red:
Good thing I wrote "not that I'm aware of."

Decades ago, as an undergrad, that was something of a novelty-plus-"rite-of-passage" drink/behavior that nearly everyone in our club (and in most of the other ones on campus) "had to" try/exhibit at one point or another, most commonly (in my day, at least) as a sophomore during bicker. We called them "Boilermakers."

Aside:
Among us upperclassmen in the club, Boilermakers were given to aspirants and those whom we'd preliminarily identified as suitable for inviting to join would be advised to lay off the booze for an hour or so after they drank one, and those whom none of us were particularly keen to invite wouldn't receive that input. I'll leave it to you to figure out who later got an invitation and who, but with very rare exception, didn't...​

Blue:
We used to say "beer and liquor, get sick quicker."

Yeah, a depth charge is a kinda sophomoric "watch this" drink - haven't done one for years. We called a boilermaker taking a shot (usually whiskey but can be any hard liquor) in one gulp followed by sipping a beer - that's why I said it's the reverse of a depth charge. Still do a boilermaker (but ONLY one ;)) occasionally. We said, "beer before whiskey, mighty risky; whiskey before beer, never fear" but I suspect all such adages are just so much BS.

Yeah, a depth charge is a kinda sophomoric "watch this" drink - haven't done one for years. We called a boilermaker taking a shot (usually whiskey but can be any hard liquor) in one gulp followed by sipping a beer - that's why I said it's the reverse of a depth charge. Still do a boilermaker (but ONLY one ;)) occasionally. We said, "beer before whiskey, mighty risky; whiskey before beer, never fear" but I suspect all such adages are just so much BS.

Red:
Based on my personal experiences and observations of my friends and close acquaintances' experiences/behavior ensuing from baroque bibbery, my analysis yields the same anecdotal conclusion. LOL

Whiskey, hold the rest.

They're generally BS, yes. For a given measure of alcohol, either by volume or weight, that alcohol will have the same effect for all practical intents and purposes.

However, there's a nugget of truth in the myth. There usually is. That is, if you were to drink a bunch of beer and get yourself well enough along on the way to intoxication, you may not track how much whiskey you drink and whatever whiskey you do drink will be even smoother. So a person who drinks a bunch of beer first may end up downing more whiskey than they can handle. If you like the sharpness or the sharpness doesn't bother you, it can go down like spring water....

But if you drink whiskey first, then beer, you're less likely to have too much beer for the simple reason that it's hard to drink a ton of beer quickly (ok, without feeling unpleasantly full/bloated for a while). So you're more likely to keep proper track of how much you're having.

But obviously, the factor in play there is the total amount of alcohol consumed vs. the time over which it is consumed. The order was only a contributing factor.

Back
Top Bottom