• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

What are your "must have" ingredients in eggnog?

Which of the following items are "must have" ingredients in eggnog you drink?

• Total voters
  • Eggs
  • Brandy
  • Bourbon
  • Rum
  • Cognac
  • Nutmeg
  • Heavy Cream

Buy mine in a carton. Have no idea outside of sugar (maybe) what's in it.

Will you be cooking for Christmas Eve and Christmas? Serving eggnog and fruitcake too?
There back on subject. ;)

No we are currently voluntarily time shifting Christmas so that the kids can spend the day with their new mates families, so we already did our Christmas. It was a ham and Piroshki affair with extremely expensive wines.....Samantha and her wife are big into wine, did their honeymoon in Napa and Sonoma last year.....they liked Sonoma better.

The wedding was a very fashionable very expensive affair for 75 at one of the if not thee most fashionable winery in Woodenville.

Novelty Hill Januik

There, back off subject!

:sword:

Merry Christmas!

Steve

Buy mine in a carton. Have no idea outside of sugar (maybe) what's in it.

If you get it in the carton, ingredients 2-5 are missing......

If you get it in the carton, ingredients 2-5 are missing......

I am a diabetic, I miss the hell out of eggnog, so I don't need to know! :2razz:

Salmonella
I think most people cook it nowadays, so it's really not an issue.

[That being said, I've never gotten sick from raw eggs, or met anyone else for that matter. Seems to me people are more likely these days to get food poisoning from raw romaine than raw eggs.]

Brandy, bourbon, rum, cognac - singly or in combination. Eggs, nutmeg and cream are irrelevant. Oh, and I like fruitcake. :mrgreen:

I have never ever ever had eggnog and from the list of ingredients I cannot see any logical reason to try it ;)

My eggnog must not contain any eggnog.

Sort of like making any decent ice cream, but with alcohol. What's not to like?

I'm of the same mind. Eggnog tastes almost exactly like French vanilla ice cream to me...so much so that I suspect one could melt French vanilla ice cream to cold-milk or milkshake temperature, maybe add a touch of heavy cream (thickening), definitely add booze and nutmeg, and few folks would know the difference.

Moist is one of those words that people dont like, they have science on it which I find to be interesting.

You might be interested to know that we have a baker in town who is successful on the back of only two things....dont blow out everything with too much sugar and dont overcook.....managing those two things together is such a rare thing that success follows.

We are sure tangenting the Hell out of this thread arent we...maybe we should stop?

Red:
Well, be that as it may, for many a food item, be it savory or sweet, moist is exactly what it should be. Potato chips (and the like), certain cookies, and seaweed are the only things that come readily to mind as being best when they're not moist. I'm sure there are some other exceptions, but....

Blue:
"Don't overcook." Well, yeah. That's a key success factor for all cooked foods, not just baked goods. LOL

Pink:
Well, I did notice that more posts don't answer the thread question than that do....I guess that's par for the course; folks seem disinclined to directly answer a lot of questions I pose. That is what it is....

Brandy, bourbon, rum, cognac - singly or in combination. Eggs, nutmeg and cream are irrelevant. Oh, and I like fruitcake. :mrgreen:

Red:
Wow! Though I wouldn't do os, I can sorta see mixing brandy, bourbon and/or cognac, but I can't get with rum mixed with any of them. My taste buds would go apoplectic.

Red:
Well, be that as it may, for many a food item, be it savory or sweet, moist is exactly what it should be. Potato chips (and the like), certain cookies, and seaweed are the only things that come readily to mind as being best when they're not moist. I'm sure there are some other exceptions, but....

Blue:
"Don't overcook." Well, yeah. That's a key success factor for all cooked foods, not just baked goods. LOL

Pink:
Well, I did notice that more posts don't answer the thread question than that do....I guess that's par for the course; folks seem disinclined to directly answer a lot of questions I pose. That is what it is....

You are still too wordy for me but you have been doing some interesting work lately, I like how you have some weird in you.

Red:
Wow! Though I wouldn't do os, I can sorta see mixing brandy, bourbon and/or cognac, but I can't get with rum mixed with any of them. My taste buds would go apoplectic.

It is what I grew up on, Brandy+Rum, I did not ever hear that it was strange.

The glugg gets Everclear.

There were Tom and Jerries too.

I have never ever ever had eggnog and from the list of ingredients I cannot see any logical reason to try it ;)

Buy some from the grocery store, pour half a shot of bourbon or light brown or white rum (whatever cheap variety strikes your fancy) into an 8 oz. glass, drop in three ice cubes, fill the glass with the eggnog, pinch of nutmeg (freshly ground if you have it, but pre-ground is okay too) on top, stir. Then drink it. If you don't like it, pour what's left in the carton into a bowl and sit the bowl outside for whatever critters visit your place at night.
(Don't pour the booze in the bowl; even if it's too cheap to drink, it's great for deglazing the pan after searing pretty much any meat or sauteed veggie.​

• [*=1]A splash of run or brandy is great in candied sweet potatoes.
    [*=1]Bourbon, brandy or cognac is a great addition to homemade gravy for beef, venison or duck.
    [*=1]Cheater's way to make a "booze" cake -- Any of the boozes will greatly improve a wide variety of simple cakes -- pound (rum) or chocolate (any of the four), in particular. Dissolve a whole lot of sugar in the booze to make syrupy. Wrap the cake in cheesecloth, brush/pour some hootch all over the cake. Wrap the cake in plastic wrap and then in foil. Place the cake inside a tupperware container and put it in the fridge or some relatively cool spot and leave it there for a day or so. If it's a fruitcake, this a a great way to improve upon them, but the process takes a while...It's the same technique, but you pour it on, let it sit for a couple days, pour some more, let it sit some more, repeat one more time and the let the thing sit for a week or two. (Obviously, you're not trying to soak the whole cake all at once.)
    [*=1]Of course, you could also just use booze you like to drink normally and try it in the eggnog. I don't generally put the booze I drink in food (the exception being leftover wine) because the booze is pricey and the point of my buying it is to drink it straight or in a simple cocktail (Scotch on the rocks).

Buy some from the grocery store, pour half a shot of bourbon or light brown or white rum (whatever cheap variety strikes your fancy) into an 8 oz. glass, drop in three ice cubes, fill the glass with the eggnog, pinch of nutmeg (freshly ground if you have it, but pre-ground is okay too) on top, stir. Then drink it. If you don't like it, pour what's left in the carton into a bowl and sit the bowl outside for whatever critters visit your place at night.
(Don't pour the booze in the bowl; even if it's too cheap to drink, it's great for deglazing the pan after searing pretty much any meat or sauteed veggie.​

[*=1]Bourbon, brandy or cognac is a great addition to homemade gravy for beef, venison or duck.
    [*=1]Cheater's way to make a "booze" cake -- Any of the boozes will greatly improve a wide variety of simple cakes -- pound (rum) or chocolate (any of the four), in particular. Dissolve a whole lot of sugar in the booze to make syrupy. Wrap the cake in cheesecloth, brush/pour some hootch all over the cake. Wrap the cake in plastic wrap and then in foil. Place the cake inside a tupperware container and put it in the fridge or some relatively cool spot and leave it there for a day or so. If it's a fruitcake, this a a great way to improve upon them, but the process takes a while...It's the same technique, but you pour it on, let it sit for a couple days, pour some more, let it sit some more, repeat one more time and the let the thing sit for a week or two. (Obviously, you're not trying to soak the whole cake all at once.)
    [*=1]Of course, you could also just use booze you like to drink normally and try it in the eggnog. I don't generally put the booze I drink in food (the exception being leftover wine) because the booze is pricey and the point of my buying it is to drink it straight or in a simple cocktail (Scotch on the rocks).

Thanks but the issue is for me is that I do not drink or use alcohol in anything. I have never had a drop of alcohol in my life (that I was aware of). My grandmother even used to make a special non-alcoholic punch for me when I was younger. I used to work in a bar for several years and even then I have never had a drink. I have even been offered money to drink a glass/take a sip of alcoholic beverage and still I refused. So thanks for the recipe but as a teetotaler I have to decline to even think about making it.

Thanks but the issue is for me is that I do not drink or use alcohol in anything. I have never had a drop of alcohol in my life (that I was aware of). My grandmother even used to make a special non-alcoholic punch for me when I was younger. I used to work in a bar for several years and even then I have never had a drink. I have even been offered money to drink a glass/take a sip of alcoholic beverage and still I refused. So thanks for the recipe but as a teetotaler I have to decline to even think about making it.

Okay. So booze infused eggnog isn't going to do for you. There is a non-alcoholic rum alternative you can use in eggnog and to make "rum" soaked pastries.

Aside:
I fully believe you've not ever drunk alcohol, but if you've eaten pastries, especially homemade one's like cakes and cookies, you've had alcohol, but like most folks, you didn't realize it. Most "regular" cakes and many a cookie are made with vanilla extract (or some other extract) and guess what's in that? Alcohol -- 35% (aka 70 proof). And, no, all the alcohol didn't cook out in the process of baking the cake. Some other relatively common dishes that will have alcohol, usually wine or cooking sherry, in them are gravies and sauces, and risottos. I don't know how much fine dining you do. If you do much at all, you definitely encountered a sauce with wine/sherry in it, regardless of whether it was indicated on the menu.

I get that none of that is like drinking booze, which is most certainly what rum, etc. in eggnog is and, if one eats enough, it's effectively what eating alcohol soaked cakes is too. I'm not trying to "upset your apple cart" or convince you to drink hootch. I'm just saying that you may want to disabuse yourself of the notion that you've "never had a drop of alcohol."

Okay. So booze infused eggnog isn't going to do for you. There is a non-alcoholic rum alternative you can use in eggnog and to make "rum" soaked pastries.

Aside:
I fully believe you've not ever drunk alcohol, but if you've eaten pastries, especially homemade one's like cakes and cookies, you've had alcohol, but like most folks, you didn't realize it. Most "regular" cakes and many a cookie are made with vanilla extract (or some other extract) and guess what's in that? Alcohol -- 35% (aka 70 proof). And, no, all the alcohol didn't cook out in the process of baking the cake. Some other relatively common dishes that will have alcohol, usually wine or cooking sherry, in them are gravies and sauces, and risottos. I don't know how much fine dining you do. If you do much at all, you definitely encountered a sauce with wine/sherry in it, regardless of whether it was indicated on the menu.

I get that none of that is like drinking booze, which is most certainly what rum, etc. in eggnog is and, if one eats enough, it's effectively what eating alcohol soaked cakes is too. I'm not trying to "upset your apple cart" or convince you to drink hootch. I'm just saying that you may want to disabuse yourself of the notion that you've "never had a drop of alcohol."

We almost never make cake with vanilla extract, we use this

001549716_001_52902_708.jpg

which is nothing more than sugar and vanillin.

And I don't fine dine LOL, and even then I ask if it is with alcohol and when I buy something in a store I always look if it has alcohol in it.

We almost never make cake with vanilla extract, we use this

View attachment 67246609

which is nothing more than sugar and vanillin.

And I don't fine dine LOL, and even then I ask if it is with alcohol and when I buy something in a store I always look if it has alcohol in it.

Very well....

Very well....

Not saying I never had alcohol in any food, but as said, most of my foodstuff is alcohol free. But even then, we do not know the tradition of drinking eggnog. I think it is more a tradition in the US and not at all where I live. Here we may drink "advocaat". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advocaat

Advocaat or advocatenborrel is a traditional Dutch alcoholic beverage made from eggs, sugar, and brandy. The rich and creamy drink has a smooth, custard-like consistency. The typical alcohol content is generally somewhere between 14% and 20% ABV. Its contents may be a blend of egg yolks, aromatic spirits, sugar or honey, brandy, vanilla, and sometimes cream (or evaporated milk).

As a teetotaler I also have never had this drink, but this is a typical Dutch concoction with also eggs and spirits.

It looks like this:

images.jpg

Not saying I never had alcohol in any food, but as said, most of my foodstuff is alcohol free. But even then, we do not know the tradition of drinking eggnog. I think it is more a tradition in the US and not at all where I live. Here we may drink "advocaat". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advocaat

As a teetotaler I also have never had this drink, but this is a typical Dutch concoction with also eggs and spirits.

It looks like this:

View attachment 67246610

FWIW, eggnog is good with or without the booze. Here's a recipe for it: Eggnog.

Tip: If you do use alcohol in a sauce, add another splash after you take it off the heat. Not enough to actually taste the alcohol, but just enough to add a slight sharpness

Back
Top Bottom